Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lucas

Linkin Park - 'One More Light'

92 posts in this topic

mDM5NSE.jpg

Release Date: May 19, 2017

1. Nobody Can Save Me
2. Good Goodbye (feat. Pusha T and Stormzy)
3. Talking to Myself
4. Battle Symphony
5. Invisible
6. Heavy (feat. Kiiara)
7. Sorry for Now
8. Halfway Right
9. One More Light
10. Sharp Edges

I noticed all these videos have way more likes than dislikes so apperantly there arent as many people who are upset. I mean they probably have more dislikes than they would have if they sounded different.

This album isn't as bad as I thought. It's LP experimenting with pop and indie sounds. It's definitely not their best album, but it's listenable. 

So I just finished listening to this and these are my scattered thoughts after the initial go.

• Overall, I like it. It's not the heavy hard rocking kind of album that most people wanted or expected from them, but I find it to be a fairly enjoyable and somewhat moving collection of songs. It will be interesting how they work them into their set along their more angsty material, but then again, maybe it's not so different.
  • This album reminds me a lot of Minutes To Midnight, in the sense that Minutes was a huge shift in sound and approach for them, and it also severely deviated from their expected formula. "Good Goodbye" is literally the only song on this album where Mike raps. He sings beautifully though, both on "Invisible" and on "Sorry For Now", and I think he's really developed his own distinct voice from Chester over the years.
  • In a sense, the previous albums have had bits and pieces that kind of make this album as a whole less shocking. You can hear where they were building to something like this in songs like "Robot Boy" or "Castle Of Glass". "Sharp Edges" for example feels cut from the same cloth as that latter tune. Maybe even "Shadow Of The Day" was an early sign, as there feels like a U2ness permeating the album as a whole even as the songs themselves resemble the Fray or OneRepublic.
  • I do applaud the band for sticking to their guns and legitimately not having any loud guitars or screaming vocals on this album. There are actually some bits where I can hear where they might have amped the guitar up to try to pander more to fans but dialed it back or did the guitar differently to be lower key, and now that I've taken in the album as a whole, I feel like that was the right move and I get what they were going for.
  • "Talking To Myself" has an interesting vocal take from Chester as it feels almost funky in its groove and I feel like the band was definitely going for a more soulful number. A nice change-up that I think works within the context of this album.
  • The only minor gripe I have is that "Halfway Right", while a good song on the surface, has a "nah-nah" chant near the end that reminds me super heavily of the chorus from Cold War Kids' "First". I'm sure it's not intentional, but it jumped out at me right away. That's a shame, because otherwise it's solid.
  • I will also say that in taking the album in as a whole, I find the singles make a lot more sense. I'm guessing "Good Goodbye" is what they're pushing now, but for a follow up, I'd really love to see them push a Mike track in "Sorry For Now". "Talking To Myself" could probably even still go for active rock adds if active rock wants to be daring enough to accept it. I have a feeling that "Battle Symphony" might get a harder push though.

And that's about it for me. I kind of wish this was longer than 10 tracks, that's another gripe I have, but mostly I'm satisfied with this album. I'm interested to see what they do for their next one. Hopefully it won't be another three years.away.

I appreciate your bullet pointed review there, Pen. Kind of a preamble to what I'm going to get when I finally dig into this album (surprisingly haven't gotten to it yet).

I picked this album up today and it is very good.

I get Owl City vibes from "Nobody Can Save Me" and "Sharp Edges" would make Ed Sheeran proud (which makes me really like that song).

I'm not a big fan of "Sorry for Now" or "Talking to Myself" but the title track makes up for those song.  That song is incredible!!!

Overall it's good and I do feel like some of the tracks could have been featured on previous albums.

I think it's fairly good after a couple listens. Kind of hit or miss as some of these songs are clicking with me while others just feel banal. "One More Light", "Battle Symphony", and "Talking to Myself" are the ones that stuck out the most.

I think it leaned a little too much on the pop side for me, with the subject matter that was tackled, I wish there were more tracks with Shinoda rapping. 

Has some good songs here and there. Not bad by any means though. 

It's meeeeeh. A pop record would have been the perfect time to bring back Mike's rapping and then they go and phase it out even more. For pop music above it all I look for catchy, and these songs aren't that catchy. 

1 hour ago, Omar said:

It's meeeeeh. A pop record would have been the perfect time to bring back Mike's rapping and then they go and phase it out even more. For pop music above it all I look for catchy, and these songs aren't that catchy. 

Yeah it's funny cause admittedly, I've been listening to a lot of pop music over the last two years, and I had a thought sort of like this when I finished the record.

"This is a good poppy version of Linkin Park, but it's not a good pop album."

If they're gonna make their bed in this genre they're gonna need some fine-tuning.

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

If they're gonna make their bed in this genre they're gonna need some fine-tuning.

I don't expect this phase to carry to the next album. It never does.

1 hour ago, pen said:

I don't expect this phase to carry to the next album. It never does.

Well you never know.  Living Things felt like a certain degree of tuning was done to A Thousand Suns.  Meteora was a slightly more polished Hybrid Theory.

But yes I imagine whatever they do next will be pretty different.

38 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Well you never know.  Living Things felt like a certain degree of tuning was done to A Thousand Suns.  Meteora was a slightly more polished Hybrid Theory.

But yes I imagine whatever they do next will be pretty different.

To be fair, Meteora was the reason for their change up on Minutes and Living Things felt to me like an encapsulation of all their work to that point, but you're right, we won't know until the time comes. 

Only good songs are the ones where Mike is singing tbh :P I really dont like the softer pop songs with chester :/ BUT it's an okay pop album, nothing crazy good

So I think we are all old enough to remember a time when pop music was pretty diverse. Now it all sounds the same and all they are doing is doing what everyone else is doing now. They could have put out a pop sounding record and not have it sound like what everyone else now is doing but they didn't.

Like for example, "pop rock" used to be a big thing and now its pretty much dead so they could have tried to bring it back with a good pop rock record instead of relying on synths and beats and hot rappers like all pop music is now.

Doesnt bother me because I was never a big LP fan but I dont see how long time fans could be happy with this obvious charade they are putting on.

2 examples of fantastic pop rock songs are Fake Plastic Trees (Radiohead) and Chasing Cars (Snow Patrol.) 2 big pop hits. LP dont have the talent to do songs like that so they work with whoever is the hottest producer and pop/hip hop artists at the moment to give them help and guide them along. They are just following the trends.

I'm not really feeling this album.  Talking to Myself, Invisible, and Sorry for Now are decent enough.  The rest I could care less about. 

15 hours ago, RainbowDragon said:

So I think we are all old enough to remember a time when pop music was pretty diverse. Now it all sounds the same and all they are doing is doing what everyone else is doing now. They could have put out a pop sounding record and not have it sound like what everyone else now is doing but they didn't.

Like for example, "pop rock" used to be a big thing and now its pretty much dead so they could have tried to bring it back with a good pop rock record instead of relying on synths and beats and hot rappers like all pop music is now.

Doesnt bother me because I was never a big LP fan but I dont see how long time fans could be happy with this obvious charade they are putting on.

2 examples of fantastic pop rock songs are Fake Plastic Trees (Radiohead) and Chasing Cars (Snow Patrol.) 2 big pop hits. LP dont have the talent to do songs like that so they work with whoever is the hottest producer and pop/hip hop artists at the moment to give them help and guide them along. They are just following the trends.

A. You clearly have no idea what the current state of pop music is, and while the quality varies, there are definitely a lot of different sounds in the mainstream right now.  The pop EDM of the Chainsmokers, the folksy POP ROCK of Ed Sheeran, the quirky alternative of Twenty One Pilots, the traditional vocal powerhouses like Ariana and Katy, the dreary hip hop of Drake and Future, the cheesy throwbacks of Bruno Mars, etc etc.  Pop music is a lot of things right now, but samey it is not, and all you have to do is turn on a radio for twenty minutes.

B. Relying on hot rappers?  There's one track with rapping and neither of the names are what you would call "hot."  Were you this grumpy when they teamed with fucking JAY-Z ten years ago?

I'm not going to comment on opinions of the content of the music since it's such an opinionated thing, but one thing I will say is that I think going in any other direction than making Hybrid Theory 3.0 is the opposite of selling out.  Especially when they made a 'prequel to HT' in The Hunting Party in 2014/2015 when rock/metal was essentially dead. 

53 minutes ago, Andrew said:

A. You clearly have no idea what the current state of pop music is, and while the quality varies, there are definitely a lot of different sounds in the mainstream right now.  The pop EDM of the Chainsmokers, the folksy POP ROCK of Ed Sheeran, the quirky alternative of Twenty One Pilots, the traditional vocal powerhouses like Ariana and Katy, the dreary hip hop of Drake and Future, the cheesy throwbacks of Bruno Mars, etc etc.  Pop music is a lot of things right now, but samey it is not, and all you have to do is turn on a radio for twenty minutes.

53 minutes ago, Andrew said:

B. Relying on hot rappers?  There's one track with rapping and neither of the names are what you would call "hot."  Were you this grumpy when they teamed with fucking JAY-Z ten years ago?

Today's pop relies mostly on beats and synths over acoustic guitar, That is not disputable. Its a far cry from what it was 10-30 years ago.

Yes I would call Stormzy a hot rapper because I read countless comments in the Needledrop's videos asking him to review his latest album. Plus I read an article from a UK website and they were basically laughing at Linkin Park for working  with him which basically meant he is good and hot and LP are washed up relics. Its the kind of snakry music journalism I dont like but it is what it is,.

I didnt care about the Linkin Park and Jay Z album. I remember my sister had the record but I had no interest in it due to not being a huge fan of either of them.

Countless times rock bands crossed over to into pop with a pop rock hit song but that doesnt happen as nearly anymore as it used to. That can not be disputed.

Just now, RainbowDragon said:

Today's pop relies mostly on beats and synths over acoustic guitar, That is not disputable. Its a far cry from what it was 10-30 years ago.

Yes we've come a long way from the days of Madonna and Britney's sweet acoustic jams :rolleyes:

Stop talking out of your ass.