Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pen

Official Guardians Of The Galaxy, Vol. 2 Thread (SPOILERS)

8 posts in this topic

So I watched this tonight and I'm going to share my thoughts in what I hope will be an easy to digest bullet-point format.

• I spoiled the post-credits scenes for myself prior to the movie but I did not spoil the main plot and I'm glad I did both because it meant that the story beats were not robbed of any potential emotional impact but there was one post-credit scene I'm not sure I would've understood without reading about it.
  • R.I.P. Yondu. News articles for a while now had speculated that Yondu might bite it if not in this film then at least certainly in Infinity War. I didn't want to consider it cause you all know how I feel about character death, but at least Yondu got to go out in an extremely profound and respectable fashion that tied up arcs for both himself and Quill. And I had some dust in my eye during his sacrifice that stayed there until after Quill's funeral speech, because it was that pesky.
  • I was actually a little shocked that Ayesha turned out to be a pretty secondary villain to Ego as while I figured Ego had more going for him than appeared on the surface, I actually didn't expect him to be the main villain of the whole thing. I expected some duplicity at best but I had pegged the war to be between Ayesha and Ego for some purpose.
  • That being said, Kurt Russell was fantastic as Ego, being both an affable and likable person when he needed to be but revealing the reason for his namesake when the truth came out. I was also surprised when it turned out that he wasn't just an evil planet that wanted to destroy the universe because like Highlander there can be only one, but that he also was responsible for Peter's mother's cancer. That's fucking cold. And, of course, so very egotistical: "Oh no, she might show me the power of love so of course I must kill her so that it won't ruin my nefarious plan!" What a prick. I'm glad he's dead.
  • I am though super glad they actually showed the true Ego (face in a planet) before they killed him off because that looked pretty fucking epic. And while I'm still talking about Ego, I'm not entirely sure I understood his plan. He was upset at being alone in the universe, so he was...what? Killing all life? He implied that all the planets would become him, but did he mean him or just like him? Because he then seemed to think he'd no longer be alone at that point. So would they just become other living planets? Then again, he's fucking bonkers, so I guess his plan doesn't have to make complete sense...
  • I like that they gave more depth to Nebula and had her and Gamora come to some level of understanding and catharsis with each other. Nebula's confession to Gamora that she never wanted to be enemies and just wanted a sister; my heart went out to her. And that reluctant hug at the end of the movie... the feels.
  • I regret that Mantis was kind of the weak link of the movie. I'm glad they introduced her if only for the lols that were achieved between her powers and naivety but she really wasn't given a lot to do, although I also sense that's part of her character arc and I hope they give her more strength and depth in future installments. That bit where she put the entire planet to sleep was pretty epic and hopefully a sign of things to come from her.
  • I like that Peter and Gamora's "unspoken thing" did not get in the way of the storyline but was given just enough attention to make their eventual "spoken thing" a payoff and not an oddity. The small moments they were given in this movie I felt were sufficient enough to make a deepening of their relationship natural and not forced as sometimes happens in these movies.
  • I love that Marvel is not afraid to do post-credit scenes where the majority of viewers will not understand the significance. Kraglin with the spear and teenage Groot aside, the other three scenes are pretty much for the fans in the know.
  • For those who don't know, Sylvester Stallone's character was, in the comics, a member of the original Guardians Of The Galaxy from the 70's and Yondu in the comics was actually a member of that team, hence the references in the movie. The other members in the scene were played by Ving Rhames, Michelle Yeoh, and yes, that robot voice is Miley Cyrus. I'm very interested to know what they do moving forward. Will they show in Guardians 3? Will they have their own movie? Who knows but I know you don't use casting like that for just one scene.
  • The bit with Ayesha at the end is foreshadowing Adam Warlock, who unfortunately won't appear in Infinity War but Gunn has already said he'll likely appear in Guardians 3. It's a shame considering how tied Warlock is to the Infinity Gauntlet as he played a large role in the comics storyline. I'm not sure even now if I believe that he won't appear in some form if not in Infinity War, then in the next Avengers film, but we'll just have to see.
  • Stan Lee with the Watchers at the end was a nice nod to the fan theory that Lee is a Watcher, and the fact that he seems to confirm that all of his cameos have been him as the same person makes it curious. Is he a Watcher? Is he just undercover for them? The very fact that they've even introduced the Watchers at this point is also interesting, just before the MCU's biggest scale cosmic event to date. I have to wonder if they'll pop up again...
  • James Gunn is my hero for having Howard The Duck show up again during this movie. I hope he becomes a running gag like Stan Lee since the chances of a movie are so absolutely slim.

And that's all I can think to say at this moment.

Oh wait, one more thing. Credits were cool and the bits of the characters dancing were fun but Nebula needs to never dance again because that was disturbing.

That's it though, that's the last thing.

DISCUSS.

I missed this but apparently Michael Rosenbaum played the last of the original Guardians members in that scene with Stallone, Yeoh, Rhames, and Cyrus.

What an ensemble. 

Just saw this. While it wasn't quite as good as the first one, I still thought it was a solid movie. The action was okay, the humor was fantastic and the characters remain highly memorable. Other thoughts...

- I like how they keep building towards Peter and Gamora becoming an item. I hope James Gunn doesn't cave to social pressures where people think a woman is showing weakness by falling for a man. I want to see the third movie end with them kissing and finally becoming an item.

- Baby Groot was the most adorable thing I've ever seen and I wish they just explained that it takes him hundreds of years to grow and I wish he could remain a baby for the next movie. I don't want to see some bratty teenager. I want cute baby Groot forever!

- Dave Bautista was fucking fantastic in this. After the unfortunateness of his final WWE run, I'm glad this he is surprising everyone by having a pretty solid movie career.

- My biggest complaint was Ego. His character totally dragged the movie down and prevented it from being as good as the first one. Now Kurt Russell was solid in this. No complaints with him. But the character and his story were just such a confusing mess. I feel like whenever they mention Peter's origins on Earth things get messy and I'm glad this crap is over with now. I also saw this twist with him as the villain coming a mile away. Of course the real family was going to be the villain and his friends would end up being the family he chooses.

- I'm really not a fan of Nebula at all and I'm glad she left at the end and isn't going to join their team. And I hope when Thanos dies, she doesn't get the final blow to kill him. That honor should go to the face of the MCU, Sir Robert Downey Jr..

- Mantis was okay in this but I really don't want to see her again. I imagine if she'll return she'd just be an unnecessary love interest for Drax.

- Yondu's death was fantastic. So emotional, powerful and meaningful. It sucked to see him not join their team at the end but I'm glad James Gunn was more interested in serving the best interests of the story and not thinking about future merchandise sales. I like Michael Rooker. I've only seen him in a few things but he's always good in whatever he's in.

- Maybe I'm alone in this but I feel like they didn't properly end the tension with Peter and Rocket.

- This new Guardians team with Stallone and Ving Rhames seems really promising. I'm glad that cool looking ice-faced dude isn't gonna be wasted as a background character. I'd be pleasantly surprised if the original team ends with Guardians 3 and you never see them again and then the new team debuts. It'd be cool if Guardians 3 allows the original team and James Gunn to ride off into the sunset.

The tension wasn't just with Peter and Rocket, it was with Rocket and everyone and that was the point of his arc and his discussion with Yondu. Rocket is afraid of allowing for the fact that not everything in the world sucks because of his incredibly harsh life up until he met Peter. He's now aware he has to readjust his worldview and that's something that will take time. I feel like in Guardians 3 we'll see a more open and less abrasive Rocket.

31 minutes ago, Mike said:

Just saw this. While it wasn't quite as good as the first one, I still thought it was a solid movie. The action was okay, the humor was fantastic and the characters remain highly memorable. Other thoughts...

- I like how they keep building towards Peter and Gamora becoming an item. I hope James Gunn doesn't cave to social pressures where people think a woman is showing weakness by falling for a man. I want to see the third movie end with them kissing and finally becoming an item.

- Baby Groot was the most adorable thing I've ever seen and I wish they just explained that it takes him hundreds of years to grow and I wish he could remain a baby for the next movie. I don't want to see some bratty teenager. I want cute baby Groot forever!

- Dave Bautista was fucking fantastic in this. After the unfortunateness of his final WWE run, I'm glad this he is surprising everyone by having a pretty solid movie career.

- My biggest complaint was Ego. His character totally dragged the movie down and prevented it from being as good as the first one. Now Kurt Russell was solid in this. No complaints with him. But the character and his story were just such a confusing mess. I feel like whenever they mention Peter's origins on Earth things get messy and I'm glad this crap is over with now. I also saw this twist with him as the villain coming a mile away. Of course the real family was going to be the villain and his friends would end up being the family he chooses.

- I'm really not a fan of Nebula at all and I'm glad she left at the end and isn't going to join their team. And I hope when Thanos dies, she doesn't get the final blow to kill him. That honor should go to the face of the MCU, Sir Robert Downey Jr..

- Mantis was okay in this but I really don't want to see her again. I imagine if she'll return she'd just be an unnecessary love interest for Drax.

- Yondu's death was fantastic. So emotional, powerful and meaningful. It sucked to see him not join their team at the end but I'm glad James Gunn was more interested in serving the best interests of the story and not thinking about future merchandise sales. I like Michael Rooker. I've only seen him in a few things but he's always good in whatever he's in.

- Maybe I'm alone in this but I feel like they didn't properly end the tension with Peter and Rocket.

- This new Guardians team with Stallone and Ving Rhames seems really promising. I'm glad that cool looking ice-faced dude isn't gonna be wasted as a background character. I'd be pleasantly surprised if the original team ends with Guardians 3 and you never see them again and then the new team debuts. It'd be cool if Guardians 3 allows the original team and James Gunn to ride off into the sunset.

Max Landis stirred up a bit of shit on Twitter (not unusual) over his thoughts about the Gamora/Peter romantic tension, but I thought he had a point. Is there an act good reason for them to not hook up? The complaint was pretty much that they were doing the will they/won't they trope that's been done a million times but without actually justifying why two adults who are clearly into one another don't just get together. 

23 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

Max Landis stirred up a bit of shit on Twitter (not unusual) over his thoughts about the Gamora/Peter romantic tension, but I thought he had a point. Is there an act good reason for them to not hook up? The complaint was pretty much that they were doing the will they/won't they trope that's been done a million times but without actually justifying why two adults who are clearly into one another don't just get together. 

I think it's best to wait till the last one. Building up for the payoff of seeing them finally together. It's like The Office. We all knew Jim and Pam would eventually hook up but the build to it was awesome. And then after that they sucked. At least here we're avoiding the sappy bullshit of them being a couple and only seeing the good stuff. Does it make sense in the real world where two hot people would've fucked by now? No. But this makes sense for the story of a movie.

28 minutes ago, Mike said:

I think it's best to wait till the last one. Building up for the payoff of seeing them finally together. It's like The Office. We all knew Jim and Pam would eventually hook up but the build to it was awesome. And then after that they sucked. At least here we're avoiding the sappy bullshit of them being a couple and only seeing the good stuff. Does it make sense in the real world where two hot people would've fucked by now? No. But this makes sense for the story of a movie.

I'm not sure I agree with the idea that you have to stretch plausibility because you can't make a couple interesting. Ignoring prestige dramas like The Americans, Better Call Saul, and The Leftovers that follow couples, even sitcoms have pulled it off well in recent memory--most notably Parks and Rec, which actually pulled off two different romances and subsequent marriages and the show actually got better. And funny enough, one of them involved Chris Pratt, long before his remarkable transformation into a Hollywood leading man. 

I think the issue might be that the characters would need to fleshed out to pull it off, to such a degree that isn't practical in movies with so much going on. 

I was excited to learn today when purchasing this that Marvel/Disney started with this movie to be their first 4K release. A good excuse to use that Xbox capability!