Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NinjaNick101

Fall Out Boy - Mania

35 posts in this topic

Mania drops out September 15th. First single "Young and Menace" is out. It was good despite the annoying chipmunk vocals. More top 40-ready.

I'm really not feeling this one. Nick, you were so right about those chipmunk vocals. They're extraordinarily grating and don't add anything to the song.

I like the chipmunk vocals? I think it's a neat effect and fits the kind of song it is. It's not that far removed to me from the effect Bring Me The Horizon uses on Can You Feel My Heart.

I know this sounds super harsh, but I never want to hear that song again. It honestly is one of the worst songs I've ever heard. That dubstep and chipmunk vocals were beyond awful. Fall Out Boy has been downhill for me since "From Under The Cork Tree," but at least they've been tolerable to listen to until now.

7 hours ago, American_Idiot said:

I know this sounds super harsh, but I never want to hear that song again. It honestly is one of the worst songs I've ever heard. That dubstep and chipmunk vocals were beyond awful. Fall Out Boy has been downhill for me since "From Under The Cork Tree," but at least they've been tolerable to listen to until now.

I'm sorry to hear you feel that way. It's funny but I kind of feel like in a lot of ways, Fall Out Boy has become more a band for me as they've become less a band for you. 

Hmm, I liked it. I'll side with Pen, I've grown to like this band more and more the last few years. This song is different, but I like that they mix it up a bit.

For a FoB song, it's absolute garbage.  For a song that I can add to my dubstep mix, it's badass!!!

I don't totally hate it or love it. I think I'd be more of a fan if the chorus didn't go on so long. Half the length would've been fine for me. 

I completely agree with with John from ARTV who is one of my favorite music reviewers to watch on YouTube. I'm honestly angry and upset in a way at the band for releasing a song like this as a fan since "Take This To Your Grave." I feel like over time, they've tried to stay with the trends in pop music rather than make their own original stuff and it's like a stab in the back to the long-time fans that appreciate them for their typical sound. I mean this doesn't even seem like a song to me. Just a bunch of all over the place sounds and noises that will likely be massively huge. I won't be surprised if you think about what is relevant today in pop music.

26 minutes ago, American_Idiot said:

I completely agree with with John from ARTV who is one of my favorite music reviewers to watch on YouTube. I'm honestly angry and upset in a way at the band for releasing a song like this as a fan since "Take This To Your Grave." I feel like over time, they've tried to stay with the trends in pop music rather than make their own original stuff and it's like a stab in the back to the long-time fans that appreciate them for their typical sound. I mean this doesn't even seem like a song to me. Just a bunch of all over the place sounds and noises that will likely be massively huge. I won't be surprised if you think about what is relevant today in pop music.

I really hope you don't take offense to this, but to me this level of thinking for a music fan is quite honestly selfish and at its worst, toxic. You may not like the direction they've taken but to claim that they're stabbing their fans in the back is the same as saying "You should only make music for me".

This is original stuff. It's creative. It shows they're willing to take risks, and you may not think so because you're comparing it to other pop music, but the fact that this is ruffling your feathers so much shows that it was a risk, and they did it anyway, because it was the music they wanted to make.

From my perspective, I think the verses are meaningful and the chorus is energetic, and I still see no difference between what they've done on the chorus here and what BMTH did on "Can You Feel My Heart", although whether that means anything I guess depends on whether you like that song or not.

And while we're discussing other people's viewpoints, for a counterpoint check out the thread on Chorus.fm where Jason Tate takes a ton of people to task about this song in his usual vitriolic manner. He makes a lot of great points. But the bottom line is if you don't like the song, that's fine, but to be angry and upset? At the end of the day, the band doesn't owe their fans a particular style of music. They owe it to themselves to make the kind of music that they want.

3 minutes ago, pen said:

I really hope you don't take offense to this, but to me this level of thinking for a music fan is quite honestly selfish and at its worst, toxic. You may not like the direction they've taken but to claim that they're stabbing their fans in the back is the same as saying "You should only make music for me".

This is original stuff. It's creative. It shows they're willing to take risks, and you may not think so because you're comparing it to other pop music, but the fact that this is ruffling your feathers so much shows that it was a risk, and they did it anyway, because it was the music they wanted to make.

From my perspective, I think the verses are meaningful and the chorus is energetic, and I still see no difference between what they've done on the chorus here and what BMTH did on "Can You Feel My Heart", although whether that means anything I guess depends on whether you like that song or not.

And while we're discussing other people's viewpoints, for a counterpoint check out the thread on Chorus.fm where Jason Tate takes a ton of people to task about this song in his usual vitriolic manner. He makes a lot of great points. But the bottom line is if you don't like the song, that's fine, but to be angry and upset? At the end of the day, the band doesn't owe their fans a particular style of music. They owe it to themselves to make the kind of music that they want.

I actually really like your viewpoint on this as well because it's a very fair assessment. I respect that we all have different musical tastes. I personally can't understand how easy it is for someone to enjoy this song. Especially, the chorus which feels like nails stabbing me in the ears, but I respect that people at least appreciate of why they like the song. Not just because "Well, I'm a fan of Fall Out Boy and they can do no wrong." 

I do applaud the band for trying something different even I may really really not agree with the direction they're going in. Like I said with Linkin Park's new material, I don't like the new sound as much as everything else they've done, but I like how they're trying something new. It's rare that a band keeps their same sound throughout their career and it continues to work.

I think the thing that irks me most is how it seems to be that they're trying to be someone they're not and is focusing on staying relevant within popular music while others of their kind have fazed out in the mainstream. As John said in that video above, Patrick does have a fantastic voice, but it's barely being showcased in this song as they made it incredibly high-pitched. I also don't understand why they keep considering themselves in the rock genre. For the most part, they have been closer to a pop artist than rock in the last ten years.

Nevertheless, I will be checking out the new album as I always do with Fall Out Boy. I haven't really been super impressed with them in probably a decade, but I'm willing to give it a try. Of course, for my sake, I'm really hoping there aren't similar songs on it and I can just skip this one. 

2 hours ago, American_Idiot said:

I actually really like your viewpoint on this as well because it's a very fair assessment. I respect that we all have different musical tastes. I personally can't understand how easy it is for someone to enjoy this song. Especially, the chorus which feels like nails stabbing me in the ears, but I respect that people at least appreciate of why they like the song. Not just because "Well, I'm a fan of Fall Out Boy and they can do no wrong." 

I do applaud the band for trying something different even I may really really not agree with the direction they're going in. Like I said with Linkin Park's new material, I don't like the new sound as much as everything else they've done, but I like how they're trying something new. It's rare that a band keeps their same sound throughout their career and it continues to work.

I think the thing that irks me most is how it seems to be that they're trying to be someone they're not and is focusing on staying relevant within popular music while others of their kind have fazed out in the mainstream. As John said in that video above, Patrick does have a fantastic voice, but it's barely being showcased in this song as they made it incredibly high-pitched. I also don't understand why they keep considering themselves in the rock genre. For the most part, they have been closer to a pop artist than rock in the last ten years.

Nevertheless, I will be checking out the new album as I always do with Fall Out Boy. I haven't really been super impressed with them in probably a decade, but I'm willing to give it a try. Of course, for my sake, I'm really hoping there aren't similar songs on it and I can just skip this one. 

I have more to say on this after work but for now I just want to point out that when you say they're being someone they're not, how much of that though is just you projecting onto them what you think they are or what you want them to be? Food for thought.

I also want to stress I'm not saying it's wrong to be disappointed, cause it's not. But just as a band staying the same can be viewed as both stale and consistent, changing things up has a risk that some bands think is just worth the reward. If their fans choose to follow them on their journey, that's secondary.

I've also enjoyed their recent work more than their earlier work. As for this song, it's catchy, so it gets the job done. People just need to temper their "rock" expectations for this band. They're a pop band now, it is what it is.

11 hours ago, American_Idiot said:

I also don't understand why they keep considering themselves in the rock genre.

This is what I wanted to come back to. I think the way they see themselves is as straddling genres. Not quite rock, but not quite full pop, full stop.

https://www.rocksound.tv/features/read/fall-out-boys-pete-wentz-on-new-music-mania-and-making-an-unlistenable-song

This interview with Wentz about the song adds to that perception. And for what it's worth, they recognize that Young And Menace is out there and say it's the weirdest song of the album, although whether that's true or not, I guess we'll find out. But he's so right to say that making those kinds of songs is necessary. A band can't be afraid to experiment because that's how interesting things blossom and how they grow as artists.

I was also reading their Wikipedia article today and around their hiatus and reunion, the impression I got is that when they reconvened they made a deliberate attempt to break down the band and rebuild from the ground up. The shift to a poppier direction was deliberate. And frankly that was the whole point of the My Songs video, where they burn away their past.

As for why they should still be considered rock, rock is a vast enough genre to include both Coldplay and Metallica and just because FOB chooses to dabble in other genres doesn't mean the core of their approach isn't still from a rock perspective. To me the energy embedded in this song, that's making a rock song out of a pop song. Rock is sometimes about more than instruments. 

I do like it better than "Young & Menace." Well, anything is my opinion would be. I still can't say I really like the song overall though. The chorus repeats a ridiculous amount and I feel like they literally copied that line from Art of Dying's "Get Through This." I know they're capable of better than this musically and lyrically. 

Fall Out Boy has long been one of my ten favorite bands, often traversing within the realm of top five and, depending on my mood, even sliding into top 3. I have loved watching this band evolve through the years as artists in no small part because of how it has mirrored my own mental and emotional evolution as well. Consequently, I have enjoyed each of Fall Out Boy's releases for one reason or another. With all that said, however, I must admit that when I first heard "Young and Menace" and "Champion," I felt a little deflated because it felt like the band I loved had left behind the elements of their music which I cherished the most, namely Patrick's expressive vocals and Pete's unique lyrics. It was struggle for me to listen to the tracks again because I felt torn between my desire for the band to pursue their own artistic vision and my desire to have more of the type of music which I personally enjoy and expect from them. 

But I actually quite like these two tracks now. Reading Pete's annotations of "Young and Menace" (https://genius.com/Fall-out-boy-young-and-menace-lyrics) really helped me understand what the band was trying to do with the song. Now, I am quite excited to hear the album in its entirety. 

probably because they realized it's not going to be good

(yeah, I didn't like Young and Menace - or Champion, for that matter, but I'd have to say that's the better of the two)

I'm actually glad to hear this. Maybe it'll be a good album then once released. I absolutely hated "Young & Menace" and wasn't impressed by "Champion." Both aren't doing anything on the charts, so that may have been a wake-up call to them.

I liked both new songs, but if they felt the rest of the album could be better, good on them for going back and redoing some things or whatever they're planning on changing. I am bummed as I was looking forward to its release next month, so now I have to go through another whole season w/o new FOB music. Sigh, hopefully it'll be worth the wait.