5. "Sold Less Than Gold"
6. "Stab My Back"

7. "They Fuck You Over"
8. "Witchless C Spot"
9. "The Hitch Hiker"
10. "Lonely & Drunk"
11. "Oil the Shoe if the Critter Knew Better"

12. "My Half"

Assuming the role of lead vocalist, guitarist, keyboardist, and only permanent member, Le Butcherettes is the vehicle for the Mexican dynamo Teri Gender Bender. Her infectious energy and unique musical sensibilities have made her a big name in certain industry circles--Iggy Pop, John Frusciante, Henry Rollins, Shirley Manson, King Buzzo, and Omar Rodriguez-Lopez have all contributed to Le Butcherettes albums, she's in multiple supergroup-esque side projects, and has toured with the likes of the Deftones, Faith No More, The Dead Weather, The Dillinger Escape Plan, and At the Drive-In. Despite all this, there hasn't been any big breakout--Le Butcherettes remains very much a cult act. It's with that in mind that I submit A Raw Youth. I wouldn't consider their most recent record to be the best, but it's the first one I heard, and I think it boasts a versatility and accessibility, not to mention crisper production from Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, that makes it a better introduction than the more garage punk/indie rock tracks found across the first two albums. It showcases so much of what the band brings to the table over the course of its 12 tracks that it was hard not to be won over by the end of it, way back when it was just a random album from a band that I was kinda interested in based on a song I heard on the radio. I hope you guys enjoy it.

As fate would have it, I was cleaning my room today and actually found the card that came with my vinyl copy with a free download. Now I know most people here tend to download things for free without a promotional code if they're motivated enough, but I already owned a digital copy before I bought the record and therefore have no use for this card, so if anybody here enjoys it, let me know and I'll send it your way.

These guys (gals?) just came through town here like last week, have a couple of friends that went. They have nothing but good things to say so I'm excited to check this out.

Also didn't know you were collecting vinyl, Ruiner. I am too kind of for the past year or so, heh

9 hours ago, xeph said:

These guys (gals?) just came through town here like last week, have a couple of friends that went. They have nothing but good things to say so I'm excited to check this out.

Also didn't know you were collecting vinyl, Ruiner. I am too kind of for the past year or so, heh

Oh yeah I've been into that shit for a long time. I'm actually not so much as I used to be. There was a time when I thought it prudent to secure The Fragile for a scant 200 dollars. I've been trying to resist buying stuff lately, but anytime I go to check out a record store it's pretty hard for me not to pick something up if it speaks to me. 

This album is very good. The first 3 songs are the best, but the rest of the album has no dull moments. Plenty of variety.

I actually started enjoying this album more after the first 3 tracks. While I did like Shave The Pride, those songs ran together a little for me and I hoped that the rest of the album wouldn't. La Uva definitely switched things up and it was a track I really enjoyed, as well as the one that followed. I also added The Hitch Hiker to my favorite songs playlist so I think it's safe to say that I enjoyed this album. Wasn't crazy about the last song but I really enjoyed everything in between. 

I forgot that I gave this a listen in the past since I liked their band description having a garage punk kind of sound. Some songs I liked a decent amount and others I just couldn't find the appeal in. I didn't end up keeping it in my discography since I didn't think it would be anything I'd really care a whole lot to come back to. 

After a second listen, my opinion hasn't really changed. I'll give it a 5/10.

22 hours ago, Ruiner said:

@pen @Andrew @xeph @American_Idiot @Paul @Green Baron

One day until I open the next week, unless everybody gets their shit in tonight. 

Gonna be frank, I hadn't participated the last couple entries because I got used to the longer extended schedule. If we're going to be doing this weekly again, it'd be nice to see an end date in the original post. 

16 minutes ago, pen said:

Gonna be frank, I hadn't participated the last couple entries because I got used to the longer extended schedule. If we're going to be doing this weekly again, it'd be nice to see an end date in the original post. 

Well I did say that we were going weekly again, but point taken. 

So I gave this a few spins in an attempt to see what all the hype was about, but I'm just not really feeling it, unfortunately. They bring some nice fuzzy riffs to the table, but then they throw in some annoying synth or organ effect that cancels out the badass-ness of it. I'm not really too big on the singer's voice or the vocal melodies most of the time either ("My Mallely" is probably the worst offender on all of these fronts). I will say "Stab My Back" is a pretty jammin tune, very groovy and punchy. I think that's the direction I would prefer to see those guys go in the future. So yeah, overall I'm not sure I would give this much higher than a 4 or 5/10, personally. I can see why people are into it though.

18 minutes ago, xeph said:

So I gave this a few spins in an attempt to see what all the hype was about, but I'm just not really feeling it, unfortunately. They bring some nice fuzzy riffs to the table, but then they throw in some annoying synth or organ effect that cancels out the badass-ness of it. I'm not really too big on the singer's voice or the vocal melodies most of the time either ("My Mallely" is probably the worst offender on all of these fronts). I will say "Stab My Back" is a pretty jammin tune, very groovy and punchy. I think that's the direction I would prefer to see those guys go in the future. So yeah, overall I'm not sure I would give this much higher than a 4 or 5/10, personally. I can see why people are into it though.

Yeah I can see where the organ/keyboards could hurt the appeal, it was a bit of an acquired taste for me.

I'll give my thoughts on individual tracks: for me, the record gets going after the first three tracks and it's everything after "They Fuck You Over" that really hooked me on the band. The dark industrial tone of "Witchless C Spot" and "Lonely & Drunk" hit a weakness in me, "The Hitch Hiker" is just a blast, "Oil the Shoe..." is probably the best track on the record, and "My Half"'s psychedelics hit another weakness of mine.

In parting for this one, I'll post a couple related listenings--songs off the previous albums that I'd recommend, and also Crystal Fairy, Teri's band with the Melvins guys--it's pretty awesome, basically her dynamite vocals and charisma set against sludgey hard rock, reminiscent of QOTSA at times.

and...

So this album was a nice change from the more serious and heavy Too Close To Touch. Very fun and energetic; a solid mix of punk vibes and indie rock execution. The largest comparison I could make would be to Yeah Yeah Yeahs; the same sort of feel in a lot of ways. The songs that stood out most to me are "Shave The Pride", "My Mallely", "Stab My Back", "Witchless C Spot", "The Hitch Hiker", and "Oil The Shoe...". The only low point I would say is "La Uva" with Iggy Pop; the song felt too weird to me and out of sync with the vibe of the other songs.

16 minutes ago, pen said:

So this album was a nice change from the more serious and heavy Too Close To Touch. Very fun and energetic; a solid mix of punk vibes and indie rock execution. The largest comparison I could make would be to Yeah Yeah Yeahs; the same sort of feel in a lot of ways. The songs that stood out most to me are "Shave The Pride", "My Mallely", "Stab My Back", "Witchless C Spot", "The Hitch Hiker", and "Oil The Shoe...". The only low point I would say is "La Uva" with Iggy Pop; the song felt too weird to me and out of sync with the vibe of the other songs.

I'll say "La Uva" was sort of just a weird oddity that I appreciated for what it was but didn't gel, but over time I've come to really dig the song, even if it still definitely sticks out. It's very catchy in a weird way. 

But that's really the Gender Bender MO. One of the reasons I chose this album was that it's probably the most streamlined of the bunch--the other two have better singles ("The Leibniz Language" is incredible) perhaps as an introductory measure, but they're also much more wildly eclectic with stuff like a three minute Henry Rollins spoken word interlude or an entire song done in a ridiculous faux Russian accent that, to me, adds character (and it can't be stressed enough how central Teri's eccentricities are to the music's appeal), but would be a turn-off to first time listeners.