4. "Translate"
5. "Miss Your Face"
6. "The Art of Eye Contact"

7. "Modern Love Affair"
8. "Inside Voices"
9. "What a Shame"
10. "For Your Sake"
11. "Eiley"

This is probably one of the least controversial picks of this club's history....but I'm okay with that. We need a boost of activity and I think this album has something for everyone. I found out about this band through Alternanoise and I immediately fell in love with their first album "Nerve Endings" which released in 2015. It had some decent discussion here on the forum and they seemed to gain some fans out of it. The second album "Haven't Been Myself" followed up pretty quickly in 2016. It gained some hype here on the forum, but then when the album came out, there was little to no discussion regarding it. I hope that this can reach every single person in our club, including those who have heard this one already. Give it another listen and give us your thoughts. This is my pick for Album of the Year 2016, and I hope this gets people to give some looks towards them. The vocalist is one of the best I have ever heard, and they manage to hook you while being semi-heavy at the same time. The close "Eiley" is easily the heaviest song they have ever done, but please listen to the lyrics as you hear the song. It also is one of their best. It's actually really tough to pick a "favorite" song from this album because they are all winners. This album is the complete package to me. Enjoy.

I'll do the last album sometime in the next 48 hours hopefully, been busy the last week. And this one is good so I'm excited to sink my teeth into it yet again.

I've been listening to this album on a weekly basis for the last couple months. Love it. I'll be back with my thoughts later.

And I'm going to try to remember to get to the other one but I'm honestly as not as good with albums that aren't on Spotify since they're harder to listen to at work. 

2 hours ago, breanna. said:

And I'm going to try to remember to get to the other one but I'm honestly as not as good with albums that aren't on Spotify since they're harder to listen to at work. 

I totally listened to My Epic on Spotify, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Wow, this album is amazing. The vocals are top notch and there are plenty of great songs out there. They definitely saved the best for last on the closer "Eiley". That one tugged my heartstrings.

If I had listened to the suggestion of two of my friends and listened to this album earlier, this album would have easily by in my top albums of the year last year. But I didn't get into this album until early this year. I finally listened to them because Pretty Little Thing popped up on a 'related to' playlist on Spotify and I liked it. I was especially drawn to his voice, mostly because he reminds me of all three singers in Isles & Glaciers all rolled into one. When I saw who the artist was, I had a 'definitely should've listened to them earlier' moment and then dove into the rest of their songs. Not long after that, I ended up buying a ticket to their show with Waterparks because I was so impressed with their stuff, especially Haven't Been Myself. To me, the album is like what Dissonants is to Hands Like Houses - while the music that came before it is still good, the new stuff completely blows it away. Sympathy is such a good song and an even better album opener. It does such a good job of setting the tone for the rest of the album, both in terms of the music and the lyrics. Easily one of my favorites, and it's followed by a song that I like slightly more - Crooked Smiles (even though there's some lines where I struggled to figure out what he was saying). Every song that follows is great. There's some songs that maybe I like less than the others, but I wouldn't consider this album to have a low point. Too Close To Touch is good at doing not only songs that hit hard but softer songs as well. The Art Of Eye Contact is a great example of that (and I love how they left the ocean waves on that song - they recorded it while they were on the beach, taking a break from recording). Modern Love Affair is also in my top tier of songs from the CD. Eiley is probably the peak for me. The lyrics are heartbreaking and the way that they're delivered just makes them so much more effective. For me, it's easily one of the best songs to come out of the past year.

I've heard this album around five or six times and it's overall very good. The vocalist has a great voice and I like how their overall sound isn't either too heavy or soft. I only see things going up for the band in the future.

My only complaint is that there isn't a whole lot of variety in terms of sound on the album, but overall as I said, it's pretty damn good. I'd give it an 8/10.

9 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

No new post tonight because I'm giving @Green Baron some time to get to me. If nothing by tomorrow, we'll just skip to the next person in line.

Thoughts on the album from you sir? You're in this club too.

As was the case with their debut album, I enjoyed this record a lot. These guys know how to cash in on the big choruses better than most of their contemporaries, which is why I think they've had success. The songs run together a little bit sometimes and aren't the most imaginative things in the world, but they're so well put together, catchy and emotionally charged. I really like "The Art Of Eye Contact" and how subdued and poppy it is in comparison to most of the album, but the best track to me is "Eiley" far and away. Just a ridiculously heartbreaking and powerful song, the screams are so intense and genuine. So these guys get a solid 7.5/10 from me for this effort. They'll probably need to branch out a little bit in the future to keep me interested though, you can only really work with this sound for so long without switching it up

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Thoughts on the album from you sir? You're in this club too.

You'll get them when I'm ready. 

I'm ready!

While this is one of those albums that falls entirely outside of my cup of tea, it was often while I was listening to it (and listening again now) I wondered why. Why, exactly, don't I really enjoy it? The vocals are the easiest answer--while I can recall multiple instances where I've been impressed by both the singing and the screaming featured on the album, they sound very been-there-done-that as far as style goes. The next submission could be a different band with the exact same vocalist, and I don't know that I'd notice it wasn't just another singer from this particular brand of rock music.

There's also solid hooks present, and the band is totally game. The result is a band that is certainly good by any traditional measure, but creatively, I don't feel like it's ever more than the sum of its parts.

It was a good choice, though. We really needed something that would encourage more people here to participate, and I think it did the trick.

So I'm playing catch up and I thought skipping over the last two weeks would be cheating in a way so I'm starting with this album, and I just want to say I'm glad I didn't skip it because this was an immensely wonderful experience. The band reminds me of along the same lines of recent Emarosa or Cove-fronted Saosin and that last song, "Eiley", really hit me hard with the subject material. Very emotional. Beyond that really enjoyed the whole album, but cuts that stood out to me are "Crooked Smile", "Translate", "Miss Your Face", and "Inside Voices". "The Art Of Eye Contact" also had an interesting R&Besque vibe.

Adding this band to my library at my earliest opportunity.