Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pen

MM2017 Final Prelims

MM Final Prelims   15 members have voted

1. 1. Who Enters The Tournament?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 posts in this topic

So I tallied the results from the preliminary polls and the list is almost complete, but like with last year we reached a point where we need to have another poll to help determine the final results.

All of these bands had 5 votes in the previous polls. Please select which bands you would like to be in the tournament. I will leave this open for a week, so this will close on 03/15.

After that I'll tally the results and see if we need another poll or if I need to make an execute decision.

Does this mean every album under 5 votes missed the cut? If so, there are a lot of great albums that didn't make it.

3 hours ago, Bladenit09 said:

Does this mean every album under 5 votes missed the cut? If so, there are a lot of great albums that didn't make it.

Every album under 5 votes did not make the cut because all the other albums that received more votes took their spots. (shrugs) That's the nature of the game. Not everything can be in the tournament, and believe me, I'll be pouring one out for some albums I wanted as well. But that's why I also stress that people need to vote for any and every album they want to see in the tournament. If the people don't vote, then that's just the way it is.

In fact, I planned to post this later, but if you want to know, the following bands are definitely not making the tournament.

4 votes

Anchor And Braille, Beach Slang, Bloc Party, Bon Iver, Cheap Trick, Eldest 11, Empire Of The Sun, Gates, Green River Ordinance, Hotel Books, House Of Heroes, Like Torches, Lindsey Stirling, Local Natives, Miike Snow, Pepper, Skunk Anansie, Stephen, Stone Broken, Tarja, The Cult, The Hunna, The Interrupters, The Kills, The Temper Trap, Trash Boat, Trophy Eyes, Waterparks, Wes Borland, Whitechapel

3 votes

A War Within, Adept, American Authors, Anarbor, Anti-Clone, Boston Manor, David Hodges, Direct Hit, Dommin, Dreamshade, Famous Last Words, Gavin DeGraw, Glasslands, Jinjer, King 810, Lie, Light Up The Sky, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Polyphia, Savages, Thank You Scientist, The Boxer Rebellion, The Thermals, Tiny Moving Parts, White Lies

2 votes

AJJ, Black Crown Initiate, Black Mountain, Carnifex, Convictions, Destrage, Diarrhea Planet, Discrepancies, Drive-By Truckers, Ghost Bath, Hammock, If These Trees Could Talk, Magic!, Okilly Dokilly, Oracles, Phish, Ra Ra Riot, The Casualties, The Hotelier, The Icarus Account, The Tragically Hip, The Unguided, Travis, Warpaint, Westfield Massacre

1 vote

A Story Told, All Faces Down, Apologies I Have None, Area 11, Batfoot!, Bleached, Car Seat Headrest, Cypecore, Daughter, Discharge, Elyose, Emma Ruth Rundle, Frost*, Helms Alee, Jeff Rosenstock, Michael Buble, Oni, Paws, Rival Choir, Safemode, Sir Reg, Texas Local News, The Falcon, Two Tongues, Walking With Giants

The interesting thing is that out of all the entries, nobody received 0 votes, so everyone had a stake in this race, even if it was just one. Unfortunately, one is the loneliest number.

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Stephen didn't make it in?  You fucking jagholes.

Xeph, Tilley, and Blade were the only others who voted for them.

36 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Lucas just made the list

To be fair to Lucas, I just did a cursory check of the polls and I don't think Lucas voted at all, which is a shame cause I gave the full two weeks on the outside chance someone might be MIA and he still missed out.

It's a shame that Glasslands didn't make the cut. I forgot about Cover Your Tracks as well, but I don't think it'll get to 5 votes anyhow. 

You guys are gonna regret that time you passed up your opportunity to get on the Savages train

I was the only vote for a lot of those. Oh well. I kind of expected that to happen :)

I'm thinking possibly certain bands didn't get votes because they're relatively unknown in terms of sound except for one or two of us?

12 hours ago, American_Idiot said:

I was the only vote for a lot of those. Oh well. I kind of expected that to happen :)

I'm thinking possibly certain bands didn't get votes because they're relatively unknown in terms of sound except for one or two of us?

I think that's about right. I nominated a few bands I thought might make the cut, but didn't because they're virtually unknown.

This is just a suggestion then for next year if we had two songs to listen to from each band before voting if they should be in the tournament. Personally, I'd take the time to listen to each one as many of them are bands I've probably never heard before. That way, I vote for each artist fairly.

However, that's a ton of extra work for Pen who already spends a huge amount of time on this every year. Maybe some others can contribute somehow?

3 hours ago, American_Idiot said:

This is just a suggestion then for next year if we had two songs to listen to from each band before voting if they should be in the tournament. Personally, I'd take the time to listen to each one as many of them are bands I've probably never heard before. That way, I vote for each artist fairly.

However, that's a ton of extra work for Pen who already spends a huge amount of time on this every year. Maybe some others can contribute somehow?

Not only is that a lot of work for me, but a lot of work for everyone else to take the time to listen. I've got a better idea: promote the bands you like during the year so more people recognize them when the tournament comes around. 

3 hours ago, pen said:

Not only is that a lot of work for me, but a lot of work for everyone else to take the time to listen. I've got a better idea: promote the bands you like during the year so more people recognize them when the tournament comes around. 

I try, Pen. I try... :(

I'm closing this down. Any bands at this point in time that have 2 or less votes are no longer eligible. Fortunately you guys gave 3 or more to just enough bands to where I did not need to make an executive decision. I will create a new thread with the finalized list.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0