Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Andrew

Logan *Spoiler Warning*

5 posts in this topic

So I saw this tonight and it's pretty much better than I ever would have anticipated it being.  It's very character-driven, very emotional, very visceral, and goddamn it, absolutely heartbreaking.

This should be Dark Knight level cinema, showing people that superhero movies are allowed to be real movies too.

I can't remember the last time I saw a movie that I got so emotional over. I wanted to get up and cheer during some of those brutal action sequences and I was in tears near the end when he died. Laura taking the cross and turning it to make it an X was brilliant. I loved Xavier's death sequence in X-Men 3 but this one was good too. So shocking, came out out of nowhere and happened so fast I couldn't believe it actually happened. The movie gave us such an intriguing future where it was essentially post-apocalyptic for mutants. I was extremely satisfied with this movie and I was very happy there was nothing after the credits. Thank god they just gave us some closure for a minute and took a break from looking ahead to the next movie.

In a day and age where franchises go on forever, you have to choose if and when you want to stop watching. For example, I thought the last Fast & Furious was a very good end so I decided that will be the last of those movies I see. I won't be sticking around for the next 15 of them. I'm strongly considering taking a cue from Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart and retiring from X-Men movies. There's no topping this. It was a beautiful ending to a franchise that started when I was in the 7th grade(!) and it feels like the perfect time for me to retire from X-Men movies. These movies will never end and I think Logan is the perfect place for the X-Men movie story to end for me.

Not sure what already hasn't been said. This is everything you could ask of a comic book property being adapted to screen. 

Hell of a year for X-Men properties with two syllable titles with the structure "L-g-n". 

As a kid I read comic books a lot. Though I've loved many of the now Disney Marvel movies, this one finally captures the emotion of what makes comics so great. The CG fights and over the top action is what people go to see in comic book movies but strong emotional stories like this is what has kept comic book fans reading for decades. I only hope it makes a huge impact at the box office to let Hollywood know the stories in comics are greater than just CG action.

I saw this movie today (and The Lego Batman Movie, which surprisingly shares some similar themes) and it was gut-wrenching. I even knew the major story beats going in but I wasn't prepared for just how visceral and emotional the death of Xavier and the death of Logan turned out to be. Laura at Logan's side crying daddy had me shedding tears of my own. And Logan's explosion of rage after burying Xavier... that's what I loved most about this movie, is that everything felt genuine. I even felt bad for that family they got killed because we got to know them, see them bond with Logan and company, and then they got murdered for their trouble. It's things like that were you can understand why Logan is in such a dark and bleak place mentally. It's a shame we won't see any more movies with Hugh playing a Wolverine like this, but I'm glad we at least got it before the end. If there was any movie to go out on, this would be the one.

Although I could watch Xavier and Logan's road buddy adventures all day long. Those two are great together.