Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ruiner

Legion

21 posts in this topic

That was bananas. The best way I can describe it is X-Men crossed with Mr. Robot, by way of Fargo. And Dan Stevens is wonderful. 

Okay after watching it again (and again) this is really really sinking its hooks in. Like Mr. Robot, it's got such a stunning visual style and so many amazing shots that it really gets under your skin, and the way the plot unravels in a disorienting fashion that makes rewatching rewarding. Watch it, people! Lots of nerd fan discussions are littering on the internet ala Westworld, we need our own. 

I thought it was really interesting - Though, wasn't too impressed with the action scene at the very end. About the only part that felt really "TV" for me. Thought the choreography was pretty bad.

Other than that, really well made first episode. Aubrey Plaza steals every scene she is in. 

Need to watch the second episode soon. 

Dug the second episode too. I'm happy to see how it works as a "normal" show because I don't think you could keep up the schizophrenic editing and pacing of the pilot up for an entire series without it getting tiresome. So it's important that it can maintain its uniqueness and quality even when it needs to dump a bunch of comic book exposition and ground the series with some rules--I hate to sound like @Mike, but I don't think constantly wondering if everything is real or not would make for a great long-form series, so I'm glad it's setting that aside, and hopefully only used in moderation in the future. In the pilot it was necessary and bold to put the audience in David's head, but now it's time to really tell the story--even with the show's stylish editing and somewhat non-linear narrative, it's always pretty immediately clear what's present, what's a flashback, and what's supposed to be a "hallucination". 

Also, I don't feel like this is the type of series that will get any awards attention, but Dan Stevens should totally be in the Emmy conversation if he keeps this level of work up. And this is also looking like Aubrey Plaza's transformative role. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

I thought it was really interesting - Though, wasn't too impressed with the action scene at the very end. About the only part that felt really "TV" for me. Thought the choreography was pretty bad.

Other than that, really well made first episode. Aubrey Plaza steals every scene she is in. 

Need to watch the second episode soon. 

That scene was curious to me--some elements seemed like design choices (being a one-take, the way the telekinesis worked) and others seemed more sloppy (mainly that soldiers had the aim and combat ability of your average Stormtrooper). I'm going to hope that it was just a case of budget constraints since it was the pilot and there were some really impressive effects elsewhere. The Sioux Falls Massacre in Fargo showed that Hawley can absolutely do big action scenes so I'm not too worried about that, though I imagine having to deal with superpowers makes it trickier. 

I kinda thought the whole show was gonna take place in the mental hospital or something boring like that. I like how that's not the case. I also like how, for the most part, you can tell the difference between what is real, what is flashback and what is in David's head.

What Noah Hawley is doing with X-Men reminds me of what Adi Shankar did with Power Rangers.

So what do we think the deal with the Devil with Yellow Eyes is? To my knowledge our comics nerd isn't watching, but most of the speculation I've seen is for X-Men villains Shadow King, or (less popular guess) Mojo. And it's also possible that it's just inside David's mind and isn't an outside entity, but a manifestation covering up abuse he suffered as a kid or something horrible like that (I'm personally concerned that he may have been the World's Angriest Boy). I think I might actually prefer that. I did some reading up on what Legion's stuff in the comics was like, and man, that is some convoluted ass shit. Not that I think Hawley couldn't pull it off, but part of me feels like the less they take from the source material the better. 

1 hour ago, Ruiner said:

the less they take from the source material the better. 

This is usually how I feel about most love action comic shows and movies. Let the more talented TV and movie writers handle things.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

The last episode was awesome. This show is getting better and better each week. And I like how David isn't crazy. I find crazy characters in shows to be incredibly boring.

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say he definitely isn't crazy. If nothing else, I don't see how one could live the life he's had with his power and not be crazy. 

Two episodes ago was really boring for the most part but this newest awesome was great.

11 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

So this is the scariest show on TV, yeah?

It really is. That doll thing with the knife feels like it was ripped right out of something you'd see from Candle Cove on Syfy. The yellow-eyed fat dude is super scary. When he was walking towards that girl at the end...scary stuff. The best kinds of scares are ones that aren't jump scares...like the ones James Wan usually provides. This show is scary like that.

Finale was decent, a few great bits in there, but overall a little more conventional, where this series is at the height of its powers when it's swinging in the opposite direction (see: last week, the pilot, "Chapter Five"). Loved the Interrogator's part and I'm glad he's back and a very sympathetic character. 

I hope season two is longer, as I think some extra breathing room would've been good for this season--mainly in that the characterization could've been way stronger than it was, which I think is a big part of why it's a little flat when the show slides into more straightforward sci-fi/comic book stuff. More moments like David confiding to Syd that he's not convinced that he's not schizophrenic, for instance.

And it's with that in mind that Fargo S2 is still Hawley's masterpiece thus far. But this has been a really fun ride and while the writing was rough around the edges, it's been a series that's unlike anything I've seen in film and TV before, and if the kinks are worked out next year (as happened in Hawley's other series), there's really unlimited potential. This was probably the most visually dazzling live action series ever put to screen, and if the Emmys don't suck (they do) it should clean house in nearly every technical department. Not to mention, Aubrey Plaza deserves every accolade she gets--stealing the show from Dan Stevens is no easy feat. 

I just watched the finale the other day. There were a few good episodes but I was bored for a lot of this series. It was cool when they went in David's head for one episode but that basically turned into every episode. The future does seem interesting with David no longer plagued by Ron Simmons so there's no need to go in his head anymore and it's interesting that the good guys and bad guys will possibly be forced to work together to take out the big bad. Then there's the thing about David's kidnapping. With that said, I don't think I'm going to watch season 2. I was just too bored for most of this season.