Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris7

The return of Eighteen Visions?

20 posts in this topic

James Hart posted a photo on Instagram of the number 18 in Roman numerals with the caption "the countdown begins". And now everyone is speculating that the band is back together for either a tour, album or both.

Story: http://www.altpress.com/news/entry/eighteen_visions_resurface_almost_10_years_after_breakup

 

i just hope we get some Vanity type stuff from them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Burn Halo (and that 18 Visions self-titled, to a lesser extent) really exposed Hart as a songwriter. I'll reserve getting interested until I've heard some quality material. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ruiner said:

Burn Halo (and that 18 Visions self-titled, to a lesser extent) really exposed Hart as a songwriter. I'll reserve getting interested until I've heard some quality material. 

Exposed is such a weird word to use in this context. Unless you mean exposed as in "got more exposure", but I feel like you mean more like "exposed" as in "He was faking it the whole time!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pen said:

Exposed is such a weird word to use in this context. Unless you mean exposed as in "got more exposure", but I feel like you mean more like "exposed" as in "He was faking it the whole time!"

I don't think either would be accurate. It's just that you could get a certain idea of things when a guy suddenly finds himself with total creative control and it's dumb, cheesy, uninspired shit. I feel similarly about comparing Hellyeah/late Mudvayne to early Mudvayne. In both cases, I get the impression that the frontman, while certainly talented, wasn't the brains behind the operation when you see what happened when left to his own devices. 

But I will concede that this is really just speculation that I can't back up at all, and maybe the new music will be great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

maybe the new music will be great. 

Or maybe you won't like it, but other people will find it enjoyable.

I don't like the point of view that because an artist chooses to make music that's more accessible or in a different vein that it's somehow a sign of their abilities and not just simply what they choose to make and enjoy.

I also don't care for Hellyeah's early albums but that's because I'm not a fan of the style. I don't think any less of those musicians as talents for pursuing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, pen said:

Or maybe you won't like it, but other people will find it enjoyable.

I don't like the point of view that because an artist chooses to make music that's more accessible or in a different vein that it's somehow a sign of their abilities and not just simply what they choose to make and enjoy.

I also don't care for Hellyeah's early albums but that's because I'm not a fan of the style. I don't think any less of those musicians as talents for pursuing it.

Just because I don't like it doesn't mean it won't be great. 

And I don't think that's something you can equate with accessible or inaccessible. I don't have a problem with Hart doing more accessible fare, the issue is with it being bad. You act like I have some aversion to music being accessible, when a ton of music I love and discuss is totally accessible and even poppy. 

Take Hellyeah/Mudvayne, the issue isn't that Chad Gray moves from really intelligent and complex to straightforward and (for lack of a better term) dumb, but it's that when he's not part of this great larger picture and has to rely on his strengths as a songwriter, the result was... not great, at the very best. Mudvayne's music certainly suffered when they moved away from that, and Hellyeah started out mediocre and only got worse, until they got better, but even then they aren't exactly essential.

A guy like Corey Taylor, on the other hand, thrives when he's writing for a wider audience (though the comparison isn't apples-to-apples since Slipknot isn't exactly high brow artsy stuff either). And given how successful he is, I'm inclined to believe that's the music he wants to make. 

And look, just because there's an audience for really stupid music doesn't mean it's good. I think it's actually more challenging in many respects to create something that is digestible to a mass audience without dumbing it down. James Hart failed that challenge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

Just because I don't like it doesn't mean it won't be great. 

And I don't think that's something you can equate with accessible or inaccessible. I don't have a problem with Hart doing more accessible fare, the issue is with it being bad. You act like I have some aversion to music being accessible, when a ton of music I love and discuss is totally accessible and even poppy. 

The impasse is I don't find Burn Halo's music to be bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, pen said:

The impasse is I don't find Burn Halo's music to be bad. 

Well I suppose the only clear solution to this is a duel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's never been a secret that James doesn't write the best lyrics. "You told me no apologies but I'm sorry couldn't cut the mustard and it's absurd" comes to mind. 

 

Still, I'm very excited to have these guys back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is awesome! Burn Halo kind of took a weird turn with the last album's release date issues. Last I saw them about 3 years ago I briefly talked to James and he said he was trying to bring back the 18 Visions sound. Well, I sure hope the actual band is back together and we get a great album from them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

01 – “Crucified”
02 – “The Disease, The Decline, And Wasted Time”
03 – “Underneath My Gun”
04 – “Live Again”
05 – “Laid To Waste In The Shit Of Man”
06 – “Oath”
07 – “Spit”
08 – “Picture Perfect”
09 – “Fake Leather Jacket”
10 – “For This I Sacrifice”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's alright for what it is but I'm really hoping this is just something to entice older fans and that they have a mix of heavy and melodic material. If the whole album is like this then I'll have to give it a miss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man that sounded horrible. My favorite thing this band has ever done is the abrupt and awesome ending to "Tonightless" halfway through the song. Just keeps going and going. Still sounds awesome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.