Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Andrew

The Next Four Years of American Insanity

367 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, assman said:

I'm confused by this whole thing. If it was truly "America's safety" he was worried about then at the very least Saudi Arabia and Pakistan should have been on the list. If it was a "ban on Muslims" then why just those countries? It leaves out many larger Muslim countries.

Those countries you mentioned dont have lawless governments like Somaila where we cant verify and ID people if they come in. Yemen and Iraq also have lawless/ no governments which means you dont know who the people are. Saudi Arabia and Pakistan are very structured and organized.

They may have structure but they also have terrorist.  We have had no terrorist attacks from people from the countries on the ban. Yet 15 of the 19 attackers on 911 were from Saudi Arabia. Just saying we are less safe by this ban, not safer.  The President protected us from no one and instead gave ammunition to Islamic terrorist for recruiting.  Even worse you increase the fear and anger among the Muslim population right here, increasing the chances of homegrown terrorist.

Im saying the countries that were temp banned are places where its harder or impossible to ID people coming in. Thats why they are on there and Saudi Arabia is not.

13 minutes ago, RainbowDragon said:

Im saying the countries that were temp banned are places where its harder or impossible to ID people coming in. Thats why they are on there and Saudi Arabia is not.

Yes and those processes have been so helpful in stopping terror attacks oh wait

4 hours ago, Ruiner said:

I'm not familiar with this person's credibility - do you know if he's posted truthful leaked/sourced stuff before?

1 minute ago, Koldes said:

I'm not familiar with this person's credibility - do you know if he's posted truthful leaked/sourced stuff before?

From the replies it seems like he's legit and doesn't say he has something on good authority if he doesn't. 

36 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Yes and those processes have been so helpful in stopping terror attacks oh wait

Well if someone from Saudi Arabia has a clean record and no signs or ties to terrorism I get that doesnt mean they couldnt be potentially dangerous but you still gotta let them in based on the evidence. The banned countries now we have no info on those people due to their corrupt and shoddy governments.

45 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

From the replies it seems like he's legit and doesn't say he has something on good authority if he doesn't. 

'The executive order could be far-reaching, and could include: making taxpayer funds available for discrimination against LGBTQ people in social services; allow federally funded adoption agencies to discriminate against LGBTQ parents; eliminate non-discrimination protections in order to make it possible to fire federal employers and contractors based on their sexual orientation or gender identity; and allow federal employees to refuse to serve people based on the belief that marriage should be between a man and a woman, and that gender is an immutable characteristic set at birth, which would impact a broad range of federal benefits'.

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2017/01/sources-report-trump-executive-order-lgbtq-community-coming-soon/

Not sure if it's true or not, but there seems to be circulation going around on it.

I hope it's... not real. 

I've been not posting about politics on here because I'm exhausted, but at the same time, consuming more politics than ever, which in turn is making me more exhausted. I've pretty much been waking up every morning thinking "so, what shit ass horrible fuckin thing is going to be happening today? Is today when we all go up in a plume of smoke?". I don't know. It's a very bizarre time. On the flip side, nothing has given me as much hope as the Women's March and the spontaneous protests of the Muslim ban the other night. It's heartening to know so many of us have eachother's backs. Here's to fighting back until we can't, I guess.

11 minutes ago, xeph said:

On the flip side, nothing has given me as much hope as the Women's March and the spontaneous protests of the Muslim ban the other night. It's heartening to know so many of us have eachother's backs. Here's to fighting back until we can't, I guess.

Definitely. And then there are the "Alt National Parks" that are creating alt twitters so they can keep tweeting despite Trump's gag order. Then there is the acting AG Sally Yates who refused to have the DoJ push Trump's ban (she did just get fired by Trump within the past couple hours) and the fact that the ACLU, who is suing Trump over a couple of things, just raised over $20m+ in one weekend, which is a ton more than they usually do all year. Then there's the Berkeley professor who (paraphrasing) said he'll run for Senate so we can have a voice of reason in there. There's a lot of resistance going down. 

I know that I'm just one person in Maine, and I can't do too much, but, I'm going to be starting to attend meetings of local Democrats (first one is tomorrow 1/31!), a group called the Maine People's Alliance (kind of a progressive fighter, fighting against our nutjob Governor, mini-Trump) and I just applied to be on a couple of committees for our local Ethics and Planning Boards. I might end up running for City Councilor next year, too. Oh, lastly, I have been emailing and calling our Senator Collins - she is a moderate Republican so she's reasonable, and she is only 1 of 3 Republicans needed to vote against Trump's Secretary pick, Betsy DeVos. It's not a lot, but I am trying to take the fire that Bernie ignited in me and put gasoline on it to fight against Trump in any way I can. 

Acadia National Park person recently did this

2 hours ago, xeph said:

I've been not posting about politics on here because I'm exhausted, but at the same time, consuming more politics than ever, which in turn is making me more exhausted. I've pretty much been waking up every morning thinking "so, what shit ass horrible fuckin thing is going to be happening today? Is today when we all go up in a plume of smoke?". I don't know. It's a very bizarre time. On the flip side, nothing has given me as much hope as the Women's March and the spontaneous protests of the Muslim ban the other night. It's heartening to know so many of us have eachother's backs. Here's to fighting back until we can't, I guess.

Yeah this is absolutely where I am. It's horrible. I spend most of my spare time at work checking Twitter, and it always just gives me food for negative negative thought while I'm working. I'm always thinking about what the worst case scenerios can be, how I'd fare in a country that truly went into total chaos with freedom fighters and shit. Trying to become less afraid should that happen. I hate it. 

But the protests at airports in particular filled my heart with warmth. Like, that's the shit that really does make a difference. These scared refugees (and many traveling American citizens) trying to be turned around after doing enduring the two year vetting process, probably devastated, seeing this mass of Americans there showing them support and fighting for them could literally be the difference that keeps someone from thinking we're evil and hate them and becoming susceptible to radicalization. 

If you really want to be scared then check this out... https://medium.com/@yonatanzunger/trial-balloon-for-a-coup-e024990891d5#.ptzjz4yci

It's mostly a conspiracy theory and fear mongering, but, all the dots do seem to connect. I'm not a huge conspiracy theory guy, but I think one of the most dangerous things we can do is underestimate Trump and Steve Bannon, as we've all done many times before.

*Good news alert, good news alert!*

Due to people resisting the Mango Mussolini, a lot of things have been improved, changed or reversed since this 'man' took office:

1. Federal hiring freeze is reversed for VA (Veteran Affairs).
2. Court order Partial stay of the immigration ban for those with valid visas.
3. Green card holders can get back in country.
4. Uber pledges $3M and immigration lawyers for its drivers after #DeleteUber trends on Twitter.
5. Obamacare (Affordable Care Act) enrollment ads are still going to air.
6. The ACLU raised 24M over the weekend (normally 3-4Mil/year).
7. HHS, EPA, USDA gag order lifted.
8. EPA climate data no longer scrubbed from website.

Also - I never thought I'd see the day, but (mostly because of) the feud with Trump, CNN is beefing up it's investigative reporting team. Who would have thought that the our Baby Tyrant in Chief would actually force the media to look at themselves and hold them to a higher standard?

Because putting a temporary ban on 7 countries that comprise of less than 17% of the world's Muslim population equals a "Muslim Ban".  I guess we'll just forget about all the Muslims in Indonesia, Pakistan, India and Bangladesh.  

*shrugs*    

3 hours ago, BreakTheAgony87 said:

Because putting a temporary ban on 7 countries that comprise of less than 17% of the world's Muslim population equals a "Muslim Ban".  I guess we'll just forget about all the Muslims in Indonesia, Pakistan, India and Bangladesh.  

*shrugs*    

Even if we're to presume that the ban is not at all racially or religiously motivated, what good do you think comes of this ban and does it offset the bad?  Not being an asshole, just genuinely looking for your viewpoint on this.

When the President spends a year promising a Muslim ban and the signs a ban on people from 7 largely Muslim nations, you can understand why many are thinking he's keeping his promise.

8 hours ago, BreakTheAgony87 said:

Just because someone does something inefficiently and narrowly and doesn't solve the problem well, doesn't mean that wasn't the intention. Don't conservatives typically rail on how ineffective the government is?

1 hour ago, assman said:

When the President spends a year promising a Muslim ban and the signs a ban on people from 7 largely Muslim nations, you can understand why many are thinking he's keeping his promise.

Bingo. The man campaigned on building a Mexico wall, he's trying to do that. He campaigned on killing the TPP, he did that. He said he'd nominate a conservative judge, and he did that. He campaigned on banning Muslims, and he's trying to do that. Simply because he did it poorly (and not in countries where he has a financial interest) doesn't mean that's not what the intention was.

I find it funny that this man was elected partially because of the left's "PC Culture" and that he "tells it like it is" but pretty soon after getting into the WH, he's got to cover up what it is and change his language he's using. Maybe because persecuting someone on their religious beliefs is not what our country stands for? What happened to the tough guy who doesn't care about offending all the SJW snowflakes?

Giuliani, a huge mouthpiece for Trump and fanboy during the campaign even came out and said Trump asked him how to do legally do a Muslim Ban. That's the whole point: How do you target someone without saying the word Muslim?

"When he first announced it, he said 'Muslim ban,'" Giuliani, who served as the vice chairman of Trump's transition team, told Fox. "He called me up. He said 'put a commission together. Show me the right way to do it legally.'"

Giuliani then put a commission together with Judge Mike Mukasey, Congressman Mike McCaul, Rep. Pete King, and a "whole group of very expert lawyers on this," he said.

"We focused on, instead of religion, on danger," Giuliani continued. "The areas of the world that create danger for us. Which is a factual basis, not a religious basis. Perfectly legal, perfectly sensible. And that's what the ban is based on."

TRUMP HIMSELF called it a ban:

Fox News refers to it as a ban, Giuliani does, Spicer does, and Trump ran on it. What the heck more do we need?

7 hours ago, Koldes said:

Just because someone does something inefficiently and narrowly and doesn't solve the problem well, doesn't mean that wasn't the intention. Don't conservatives typically rail on how ineffective the government is?

Bingo. The man campaigned on building a Mexico wall, he's trying to do that. He campaigned on killing the TPP, he did that. He said he'd nominate a conservative judge, and he did that. He campaigned on banning Muslims, and he's trying to do that. Simply because he did it poorly (and not in countries where he has a financial interest) doesn't mean that's not what the intention was.

I find it funny that this man was elected partially because of the left's "PC Culture" and that he "tells it like it is" but pretty soon after getting into the WH, he's got to cover up what it is and change his language he's using. Maybe because persecuting someone on their religious beliefs is not what our country stands for? What happened to the tough guy who doesn't care about offending all the SJW snowflakes?

Giuliani, a huge mouthpiece for Trump and fanboy during the campaign even came out and said Trump asked him how to do legally do a Muslim Ban. That's the whole point: How do you target someone without saying the word Muslim?

"When he first announced it, he said 'Muslim ban,'" Giuliani, who served as the vice chairman of Trump's transition team, told Fox. "He called me up. He said 'put a commission together. Show me the right way to do it legally.'"

Giuliani then put a commission together with Judge Mike Mukasey, Congressman Mike McCaul, Rep. Pete King, and a "whole group of very expert lawyers on this," he said.

"We focused on, instead of religion, on danger," Giuliani continued. "The areas of the world that create danger for us. Which is a factual basis, not a religious basis. Perfectly legal, perfectly sensible. And that's what the ban is based on."

TRUMP HIMSELF called it a ban:

Fox News refers to it as a ban, Giuliani does, Spicer does, and Trump ran on it. What the heck more do we need?

Have you seen this yet? 

15 minutes ago, Mike said:

Speech at UC Berkeley from Breitbart contributor canceled after chaos erupts on campus in the students attempt to suppress free speech.

And I'm assuming you also know that said Breitbart contributor is a self-declared troll whose entire shtick is trying to rile up and piss off the left, right?

Not defending violence, of course, but let's not be shedding tears for the poor jackass who succeeded in his goal of stirring up controversy and making his hateful movement seem like it's being unjustly persecuted. If you went out in the street and yelled about how you like to fuck children, would you consider it an attack on free speech if you got your ass kicked?

5 hours ago, RainbowDragon said:

Why do liberals march against Trump claiming he's a misogynist, when he puts a temporary ban on people coming in to the USA from the most misogynistic countries in the world?

I know you weren't speaking to me, but I'd like to give my $.02 if you don't mind.

Both sides of the aisle can speak and think hypocritically. The misogyny of the Muslim world is an area where my fellow liberals are extreme hypocrites. Same thing with Islam's anti-homosexual feelings. If a Christian baker refuses to bake a cake because of his religion, I'd tell him to go screw himself. If a Muslim wants to throw a gay person off a roof in Egypt, my fellow liberals justify it by saying "it's just a part of their culture." It's unacceptable in either example. The same can be said for women's rights. 

With that being said, if Trump's ban had something to do with the equality of women and gays, that would be a much different thing to discuss. He is, as you stated, a huge misogynist, he has 0 intention of stopping them because of their feelings on gender. He has many documented issues with women. The other problem is that conservatives have been fighting women's rights and gay rights for the past 60-100 years. All of the progress we've made has been DESPITE them and AGAINST them rather than because of them. To dislike Muslims because of the same type of shit the conservatives pull, its hypocritical. He wants to try to ban Muslims because he preys on fear. He, like many others, sees that all Jihadists are Muslims, and feels all Muslims are Jihadists. The ban is simply ignorant, inhuman, narrow and possibly unconstitutional. 

Muslims, stereo-typically being misogynistic, is not a reason to accept 0 refugees. Assimilation, modernization and liberalization of belief systems can easily happen, even to misogynistic cultures. Fear of death and murder is the only true card that Trump has to play for banning Muslims.