Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Andrew

The Next Four Years of American Insanity

365 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Lucas said:

On another note, is it ordinary at all that a sitting president < one year into his term is having these rally events, and doing 'campaign ads' basically? I just do not remember that at all from Bush or Obama... like he has to keep stirring the pot to stay relevant for his followers to stay interested or something so he needs to give them face time instead of golfing err being the president and getting some shit done.

It's all about money. There are campaign rules in place where when you are running for election (2020) you can mark a lot of stuff as campaign events, rallies and commercials - so you can write off a lot of the costs and do fundraising and stuff. That's one reason why he filed for re-election the day after this inauguration. His companies are still making tons of money off his own "re-election campaign" since his campaign events need to use businesses to get their needs met... wonder which businesses they'll use? 

Obama did tour the country for like a year or more after getting elected, but almost every single event was about the Affordable Care Act because he was pushing to get public support for it. You know, that whole "passing legislation" thing that some Presidents try to do.

5 hours ago, NinjaNick101 said:

Whatever he's doing is not going to boost his bad approval rating. I can't wait until it sinks into the 20s.

I am not confident that he ever will. The other day was a really good example of why. When he came out and didn't denounce the Nazis, they were all happy. The next day he came out and shit talked them, they just said "Oh, Trump HAD to say that, he was getting pressure, he doesn't mean it." They do this same thing for everything - anything bad is because he's doing the whole "wrecking of the establishment" that they want, and anything they perceive as good is good. Nixon resigned in disgrace and even shortly before then he had upper 20s approval rating. Trump's supporters do not have any values they hold dear, so if he does something "bad", they don't care, because Trump did it. If Bernie Sanders came out and took 1million from Wallstreet and said "You know, I don't want single payer anymore" he wouldn't be my political hero. Trump supporters do not care about anything else other than Trump pissing off liberals. If he does that, it's a win. I really, really hope I'm proven wrong. 

8 hours ago, Lucas said:

Granted, I'm not too excited about Pence running the place either. 

I am a very staunch critic of religion and Pence is about as right wing of a fundamentalist "we should electrocute gay teenagers back to being straight" type of nutjob that I'm scared of. Although plenty of good has come and can come from religion, he is the direct representation of everything that I hate about religion. That said, I would welcome him with open arms compared to Trump. In my view, Pence can get all of the legislative, Christian fundamentalist shit I don't like right now, through Jeff Sessions and Betsy DeVos and pushing Trump to do what he wants. I just want our President to stop being a national embarrassment - other countries think we're a joke. I want "Fake News" to go away. I want the symbol of America to actually be someone who can hold attention for more than 3 minutes at a time. The list goes on and on - but for an agnostic atheist guy like me, I dream of Pence!  

1 hour ago, Koldes said:

It's all about money. There are campaign rules in place where when you are running for election (2020) you can mark a lot of stuff as campaign events, rallies and commercials - so you can write off a lot of the costs and do fundraising and stuff. That's one reason why he filed for re-election the day after this inauguration. His companies are still making tons of money off his own "re-election campaign" since his campaign events need to use businesses to get their needs met... wonder which businesses they'll use? 

Obama did tour the country for like a year or more after getting elected, but almost every single event was about the Affordable Care Act because he was pushing to get public support for it. You know, that whole "passing legislation" thing that some Presidents try to do.

Ah! Great explanation, sir. And that does ring a bell about Obama now that I think about it, but it was for a purpose to get legislation passed as you said. Cheeto isn't doing anything but trying to push more hate into the political landscape.

1 hour ago, Koldes said:

I am a very staunch critic of religion and Pence is about as right wing of a fundamentalist "we should electrocute gay teenagers back to being straight" type of nutjob that I'm scared of. Although plenty of good has come and can come from religion, he is the direct representation of everything that I hate about religion. That said, I would welcome him with open arms compared to Trump. In my view, Pence can get all of the legislative, Christian fundamentalist shit I don't like right now, through Jeff Sessions and Betsy DeVos and pushing Trump to do what he wants. I just want our President to stop being a national embarrassment - other countries think we're a joke. I want "Fake News" to go away. I want the symbol of America to actually be someone who can hold attention for more than 3 minutes at a time. The list goes on and on - but for an agnostic atheist guy like me, I dream of Pence!  

I get where you're coming from there for sure w/ Pence. He's definitely a nutjob, so he may be enjoying being somewhat of a puppet master behind the scenes while Big Orange is making the necessary distractions. I agree, definitely would still take him over what we've got now. I think other countries are somewhat understanding still for the most part, but how much damage will he do if this continues another 3+ years; can we even come back from it? I feel like the partisan divide is as big as it's ever been based on said reactions of his followers. We definitely need to get rid of "Fake News". I swear the guy is incapable of a rational thought and putting together a sequence of words that isn't absolutely ridiculous. Like seriously, can he have a test for dementia or something? But I digress.

But it's important to note that at this rate, if indictments do happen, it's highly likely Pence will be amongst them. It's possible he covered his ass bigger than the chief dumbshit, but it seems pretty clear that nobody in this administration is truly. 

Granted, next in line is... Paul Ryan, but I bet that guy would be the least approved president in US history. Nobody respects him. Even Trump fans tend to think he's a worm. But the sad truth is, you've got like sixteen indictments to make before you get to anyone decent, so just getting somebody who can unite the country in thinking he's a dipshit might be the best case scenario. 

I hope that if Dems manage to get a majority again next year, the first priority is passing a bunch of legislation to safeguard against this type of shit ever happening again. 

I don't post my blog here too much since I try not to self promote here, but this is an exception since it's directly related to the convo. Here are my thoughts on removing the Confederate/white supremacists statues

Spoiler

The tragedy and chaos in Charlottesville over the past weekend has re-ignited a discussion whether or not Confederate and white supremacist statues should be taken down across the country. The answer is simple. Yes, they need to be taken down immediately.

Confederate statues are not simply “celebrating Southern heritage” as defenders claim. They are a symbol of slavery and these men are our country’s biggest traitors. To diminish their insulting presence by saying it’s just “Southern heritage” is a spit to the face of every descendant of slaves, every black American and those who fought and died to preserve America from the Confederacy. Slavery over other human beings is one of the most despicable, disgusting things that we have ever done as a species.  It hurts to even need to type this, but celebrating slavery’s defenders needs to end.

We need to take a lesson from the Germans. Germany has come a long way over the past 70+ years since Hitler’s reign. Not only is brandishing Swastikas illegal, but their entire country condemns the actions of Hitler and the Nazis. They do not celebrate the Holocaust, they memorialize and mourn it. They have museums and remembrances to honor the past, and remind themselves why we will never go there again as a people. The term “Never Again” is famously used as a tribute to what we shall never allow ourselves to become, ever again. Imagine Germans proudly displaying a Swastika on their vehicles and waving Nazi flags and as a defense say it “celebrates German history.” As they should, our stomachs would turn at this sight. Our stomachs need to be equally as revolted for those proudly loving the Confederacy, white supremacists and their statues. We need to be better than our current Governor who likened taking down these statues as removing September 11th statues. We cannot compare innocent lives who died in the Holocaust or 9/11 as even remotely the same as those who fought to maintain slavery. They are simply incomparable.

Statues of these Confederate traitors are not the same as George Washington or Thomas Jefferson. What do Washington and Jefferson symbolize and represent? Freedom, the foundation of America and preserving America against the Confederacy. The truth is that yes, they owned slaves, and we should criticize them for that and stop seeing them as gods. They were far from perfect. They participated in this barbaric culture. But when someone sees a statue of George Washington they don’t think anything similar to what they think when they see Robert E Lee. That’s what statues are about – celebration and symbolism.

Supporters of the Confederacy who also claim to be Patriotic to America are simply confused. You cannot be both. The Confederates left the country. They fought against it and attempted to rip it apart. They are traitors, they are not heroes. As one example, here in Auburn, ME I have seen a confused citizen proudly displaying an American flag, the Confederate flag and a bumper sticker that says “If you don’t love America, then LEAVE!!!!” This person is beyond confused and needs to find clarity.

Hypocrisy

Well then, why were these statues put up in the first place? There have been two major times in our history when Confederate statues were erected – during the era of Jim Crow and during the 60s during the Civil Rights movement. These statues were in direct response to black Americans moving toward equality. They were not erected for heritage purposes, they were put up as a form of white supremacy and to cause continued pain and suffering to the black people of America. They were meant to terrorize and remind the black community who was truly in power. That is these statues sole reason for existence.

50 years after the Civil Rights movement, the black community in America feels so marginalized, so defeated and unequal that they created a movement of the past few years called Black Lives Matter. The thought is “Can we please just acknowledge that black lives matter equal to others?” We have many statues in parks and many highways named after those Confederate generals who fought to keep slavery. How can we question why this community feels like their lives don’t matter equal to ours when we keep around these symbols to constantly remind them? We can’t. BLM’s whole argument is that yes, in the eyes of the law or on paper things are “equal”, but we have systematic racism and as a nation we value black lives less. We need to acknowledge that these statues do exactly that. And then remove them.

These statues need to go into a museum or into a Confederate cemetery, similar to Germany’s Holocaust museums. We cannot white wash this part of history and forget a terrible, dark park of our past. Putting them into a museum or Confederate cemetery would accomplish the desire to not forget the past, while also at the same time not celebrating it.

The best way to do this is to do it through government officials removing the statues – legally, as Baltimore voted unanimously to do after the events in Charlottesville. Groups of people taking the matter into their own hands, illegally destroying the public property is not going to do much to move us forward. It’s hypocritical considering we often demonize violence, vandalism and destruction when it is against our causes we believe in. We have to all work hard to be consistent and do things the right way. The cause and the logic behind their removal is pure, but how things happen matters. Let’s put pressure on elected officials to get this done legally and as a nation-wide movement of equality and progress. Let’s take down these statues and take one more step to actual, real equality.

I agree wholeheartedly with removing the statues through legal means, and placing them in museums.  The last thing we need is more destruction and violence.  

Well, if there's one positive thing that came from a Nazi killing an American soil this past weekend, is that it potentially lead to a major Nazi now out of the White House. Bannon is gone. Some are saying he attempted to resign a week ago, some are saying Trump's full of shit saying he fired him.

Brietbart, Bannon's site that he said is basically there to push an alt right (white supremacist, racist, Nazi) agenda, is on FULL MELTDOWN MODE right now against Trump. Calling him a traitor, a Democrat, mad at him, etc. Get your popcorn ready, folks. This season of The Apprentice is great! 

When will stupid people like Trump realize that George W. Bush was president during Hurricane Katrina and not Obama? Geez, he treats Obama like a freakin' scapegoat. Why did these states have to elect a child?

I'm disgusted that DACA will be rescinded in six months. Say hello to expensive California produce. Middle fingers to President Dickhead.

1 hour ago, NinjaNick101 said:

I'm disgusted that DACA will be rescinded in six months. Say hello to expensive California produce. Middle fingers to President Dickhead.

One think tank says it'd be possibly a few hundred billions hit to the economy.

17 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

Holy shit

That is quite an attention grabbing statement. If you read the AP news story it links to there is no mention of how much anyone was paid.