Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

WWE Royal Rumble

95 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Mike said:

ruining-royal-rumbles.jpg

Seeing that footage from the 2014 Rumble was almost surreal. Like, to think of a time when Roman Reigns was cool, and him getting an elimination record was cool, and it was exciting that he was in the final two. This company really is so remarkably incompetent at getting/keeping people over, it's amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ruiner said:

Seeing that footage from the 2014 Rumble was almost surreal. Like, to think of a time when Roman Reigns was cool, and him getting an elimination record was cool, and it was exciting that he was in the final two. This company really is so remarkably incompetent at getting/keeping people over, it's amazing.

And it's all Daniel Bryan's fault. If he wasn't so goddamn popular Vince would have had his Batista and Reigns wins to finish Wrestlemania. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Omar said:

And it's all Daniel Bryan's fault. If he wasn't so goddamn popular Vince would have had his Batista and Reigns wins to finish Wrestlemania. 

I really think, while he certainly deserves some credit (especially for 2014), people tend to ignore that they were awful decisions regardless of Bryan's popularity exacerbating the hostility. Like, nobody wanted Batista to win anyway. And NOBODY wanted Roman to win, especially since that year there were several better alternatives (super hot Ambrose, then-super hot Ziggler, always super hot Bryan). You had several babyfaces that people would've loved to see take on Lesnar in his expected to be final match, and they went with the one nobody wanted, and in a way that absolutely demoralized every other popular choice (really, Show and Kane eliminating Ambrose, Ziggler, and Wyatt like total geeks was more infuriating than Roman's win).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was pretty happy with this PPV. The order the matches aired happened to go from my least to most anticipated so I was yawning a bunch at the beginning but on the edge of my seat for the end. Women and Universal titles sucked. I've long given up on Reigns ever improving in the ring and he did absolutely nothing tonight to impress me. Cruiserweight match was okay. Cena vs. Styles doesn't top Summerslam but it was their second best match. I hate seeing AJ lose but he was made to look like a million bucks out there. Kicks out of an AA off the ropes and then Cena does another AA and doesn't even go for the pin, does that sweet maneuver to do yet another AA to finally take AJ down. They should just have Cena vs. AJ every week...it'd be like Sheamus vs. Cesaro only good.

Despite a lack of big names for the first 2/3, the RR was mostly solid all the way through. Surprisingly Braun Strowman wasn't awful...which made it seem really weird when awful Baron Corbin eliminated him. The part of that match that was fucking magical was with Brock destroying people and then Goldberg quickly taking him out and then the stuff with Goldberg and Taker. It was like I had a dream of what an awesome Rumble match would be only this was actually happening in real life...aaaaaaand then I woke up when fucking Reigns comes out at 30 instead of Joe which sucked 100% of the excitement out of me and then he eliminates Taker which sucked and sets up a crappy WM match and then Orton wins the RR which I wasn't happy with either but it's better than Reigns I guess. Disappointing ending to an otherwise awesome Rumble match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We haven't talked about wrestling in a bit so I think I forgot how awful Mike's opinions are.  Nice to see nothing has changed I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Andrew said:

We haven't talked about wrestling in a bit so I think I forgot how awful Mike's opinions are.  Nice to see nothing has changed I guess.

Yeah I kept finding different little things in his post I wanted to dispute but eventually just gave up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

Yeah I kept finding different little things in his post I wanted to dispute but eventually just gave up

Same.  I guess I'll throw something together real quick.

  • Neither the Women's nor Universal matches were bad though they weren't amazing either.  Charlotte put on a hell of a performance as always though.
  • Reigns hardly needs to improve, he's really fucking good.
  • Cena v. Styles was maybe better than the Summerslam match IMO but I can see anyone picking one over the other
  • Cesaro and Sheamus had several good matches together and their seventh match was a legitimate MOTY contender
  • Braun hasn't been awful in a bit and neither has Corbin
  • Already addressed the necessity of the Reigns thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Andrew said:

Same.  I guess I'll throw something together real quick.

  • Neither the Women's nor Universal matches were bad though they weren't amazing either.  Charlotte put on a hell of a performance as always though.
  • Reigns hardly needs to improve, he's really fucking good.
  • Cena v. Styles was maybe better than the Summerslam match IMO but I can see anyone picking one over the other
  • Cesaro and Sheamus had several good matches together and their seventh match was a legitimate MOTY contender
  • Braun hasn't been awful in a bit and neither has Corbin
  • Already addressed the necessity of the Reigns thing

Yeah I agree with most of this, though I'm not as positive towards Braun as many are. He definitely looked good tonight when given the opportunity to smash geeks, but outside of a gimmick match specially designed to hide his weaknesses with one of the two or three best workers in the company, he's yet to have a strong singles outing. Corbin, on the other hand, has had several, and even when his matches aren't good they really aren't usually bad either. But it's still pretty clear that Braun is easily the greener of the two and I can't understand thinking Corbin is "even more awful".

I'd put Cena/Styles over the Summerslam match, that match was near-fall spam to the point of threatening self-parody and this one largely avoided those pitfalls. Also Cena finally actually hitting that sunset flip powerbomb correctly without the awkward pause after all this time was sweet.

Cesaro/Sheamus was definitely confusing. Like, did he even watch the matches?

Reigns doesn't need to improve... in a sense. He's very good in the ring in many regards, but his matches do tend to have that structured WWE feel which is seriously grating to me at this point though most don't notice or care. He's still bad at promos but even if he wasn't they'd still give him crap to deal with. They just need to turn him the hell heel or fire his ass because his booking has him permanently situated as a lifesuck on any program he appears on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

Meltzer says, believe it or not, Sami Zayn vs Kevin Owens is probably the Universal title match. 

Woah! I like it, but what the hell happens to Jericho.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I guess WrestleMania is...

Undertaker vs. Reigns (main event where Reigns turns heel and wins?)

Orton vs. Wyatt - WWE title

Owens vs. Zayn - Universal title

Goldberg vs. Lesnar

Triple H vs. Rollins

Cena vs. Ambrose

AJ in some multi-person match with a bunch of mid-carders he is better than

Women's match 1

Women's match 2

Shaq vs. Big Show

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I listened to it again and I'm not sure he was talking about Mania. They're doing Universal matches on the upcoming house shows. I guess Goldberg vs Owens is supposed to be at the next PPV. Don't read too much into what i said, it's probably Lesnar/Goldberg for the title, Owens/Jericho for US, and Sami gets thrown out of the Andre battle royal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mike said:

So I guess WrestleMania is...

Undertaker vs. Reigns (main event where Reigns turns heel and wins?)

Orton vs. Wyatt - WWE title

Owens vs. Zayn - Universal title

Goldberg vs. Lesnar

Triple H vs. Rollins

Cena vs. Ambrose

AJ in some multi-person match with a bunch of mid-carders he is better than

Women's match 1

Women's match 2

Shaq vs. Big Show

Lesnar/Berg Universal

Reigns/Taker

Orton/Wyatt WWE

Cena/Joe

Styles/Shane

KO/Y2J US

Ambrose/Miz/Ziggler/Corbin/Crews/Kalisto IC ladder match

Bayley/Charlotte Raw women's

Nikki/Bliss/James/Lynch Smackdown women's

Shaq/Show

Four-way Raw tag title match

Alpha/Revival Smackdown title match

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year was a five hour show and there were only eight matches (not including Rock vs. Rowan). There's no way there will be 12 matches. You can cancel both of those minor league tag title matches. That's got pre-show written all over it.

With your new information about Zayn...KO and Jericho makes sense and Goldberg over Owens and then losing to Brock at Mania makes sense as well. I have a feeling they'll have Shane beat AJ which would be dumb. Sucks AJ is stuck doing that crap after being WWE's MVP since he debuted. I wish they just saved Shaq/Show for SummerSlam instead of cramming it in when there's no extra time at WM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Mike said:

Last year was a five hour show and there were only eight matches (not including Rock vs. Rowan). There's no way there will be 12 matches. You can cancel both of those minor league tag title matches. That's got pre-show written all over it.

With your new information about Zayn...KO and Jericho makes sense and Goldberg over Owens and then losing to Brock at Mania makes sense as well. I have a feeling they'll have Shane beat AJ which would be dumb. Sucks AJ is stuck doing that crap after being WWE's MVP since he debuted. I wish they just saved Shaq/Show for SummerSlam instead of cramming it in when there's no extra time at WM.

I didn't say they'd all be on the main card. 

Though relegating the Revival to preshow duty would be a damn shame and actually makes me think they should just hold off on bringing them up until after Mania. Let Alpha fight the Usos or something in the nothing preshow match, then at the post-Mania PPV let the Revival singlehandedly turn the Smackdown tag division into the hottest in the company. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

I didn't say they'd all be on the main card. 

Well why are you predicting pre-show matches? No ones cares about the pre-show. Half the arena is empty and people at home are enjoying their WrestleMania food and talking to friends and family. It's totally irrelevant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Well why are you predicting pre-show matches? No ones cares about the pre-show. Half the arena is empty and people at home are enjoying their WrestleMania food and talking to friends and family. It's totally irrelevant.

Because why not? I just listed out what will likely be the full card. Yes, a few of the lower ones will end up on the preshow, but I don't have any way of knowing which they'll be. Why is it worth nitpicking to you? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rather have AJ have a match with Shane and get some McMahon rub than have him throw in a multi-person match. I'm sad he's not the champion, but I don't mind the Shane match. Especially because it keeps him heel. I'm a little scared they'll turn him face and have him fued against the Miz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.