WWE Championship
AJ Styles vs. John Cena

WWE Universal Championship
Kevin Owens vs. Roman Reigns

WWE Raw Women’s Championship
Charlotte Flair vs. Bayley

WWE Cruiserweight Championship
Rich Swann vs. Neville

The six-woman match has thankfully been moved to the pre-show so this is a nice, streamlined card with only the relevant matches on the PPV. I hope it stays this way. Just give these matches enough time and whenever the show ends naturally, it ends. PPV times are a thing of the past. Screw the old geezers watching on cable for $50 or whatever it is. If it ends at 3 hours and 5 minutes or 3 hours and 45 minutes, it doesn't matter to people paying $9.99.

Every year I get hyped up for the Royal Rumble match and it never delivers. It's BS after BS every year. Del Rio winning, Batista winning over Bryan, Reigns winning. It's nonsense almost all the time (although last year had a good ending). This year feels like it's gonna be the year to finally deliver. And remember, Meltzer posted a while back about the spoiler he wouldn't reveal about this PPV blowing our minds. So we'll see.

38 minutes ago, Mike said:

The six-woman match has thankfully been moved to the pre-show so this is a nice, streamlined card with only the relevant matches on the PPV. I hope it stays this way. Just give these matches enough time and whenever the show ends naturally, it ends. PPV times are a thing of the past. Screw the old geezers watching on cable for $50 or whatever it is. If it ends at 3 hours and 5 minutes or 3 hours and 45 minutes, it doesn't matter to people paying $9.99.

Every year I get hyped up for the Royal Rumble match and it never delivers. It's BS after BS every year. Del Rio winning, Batista winning over Bryan, Reigns winning. It's nonsense almost all the time (although last year had a good ending). This year feels like it's gonna be the year to finally deliver. And remember, Meltzer posted a while back about the spoiler he wouldn't reveal about this PPV blowing our minds. So we'll see.

1. It's a four hour show. I'm pretty hopeful the matches will get the time they deserve. The main one I'm concerned with is Swann/Neville. Neville's been killing it every week, and has had several great 15+ minute main events on 205 Live to build up this match, it'd be weird and disappointing to get anything less on PPV. But with 4 hours I can't imagine it'll be a concern. 

2. The Meltzer thing was re: Wrestlemania, not specifically the Royal Rumble. And as always, plans change all the time and this seemed to be one he was concerned could change if it got out so I'm not holding my breath. 

3. The Rumble match itself, as far as lineup goes, is the best it's been in a long long time, maybe even ever. There's hardly any filler, it's special attractions, regular main eventers, and upper-midcarders mostly. Even the few lower card guys in there like Mojo Rawley are getting a little bit of a push. Most of the recent Rumbles and even some classics are like 75% jobbers who have no shot at all of winning, this year it's wide-open. 

Doing predictions, since it's the Rumble and all. 

Neville vs Swan: Neville. He's been the MVP since coming back, has almost singlehandedly breathed life into this dying division, and anything less than a clear and definitive victory for him here would be a mistake. He needs to run roughshod over this division until a top face with real star potential steps up. 

Bayley vs Charlotte: Charlotte. Apparently Vince actually does like money and plans on Bayley being champion and the top face for Raw women but it's too soon here and I doubt they'd hotshot the title onto her. Make her chase until Wrestlemania. 

Roman Reigns vs Kevin Owens: Ugh, who the fuck cares? Is there any title in the company that's less important? All conventional wisdom here points to Reigns winning and continuing to suck what little life there is of out of the Raw main event picture. 

John Cena vs AJ Styles: No clue who wins this but going Styles both out of optimism and out of Cena's promo being a complete burial if he doesn't win. If he loses he'll probably be wasted in some Shane match, but thankfully with Undertaker on Raw and Ambrose moved fully into his own Main Event B section of Smackdown with the IC title, I don't see any heel challengers for Cena at Mania. 

Royal Rumble match: Samoan Joseph. Going bold! 

I'm gonna play it safe and go with Taker winning the Rumble and then Cena taking the title from AJ which leads into their match at Mania. I don't see Cena losing three in a row to AJ. I'm not at all convinced of Taker winning the Rumble but he's a safe pick and I'm not sure what WWE has planned so I'll stick with him. Going with Reigns taking the belt. Going with Neville. I haven't followed these cruiserweights at all but despite the frequent title changes, it seems like WWE has a good handle on who should be champion. They've been right with every champ so far and now is Neville's time until someone like Aries comes to take it from him. Going with Charlotte.

I think when predicting the matches for WrestleMania, it's easier to try to figure it out if you look at it from the Raw roster. We all know it's going to be Rollins/Triple H and Owens/Jericho. So as far as main eventers goes, that leaves Reigns, Strowman (who unfortunately will likely be in a big match at the show), Lesnar and Goldberg. I don't see them stretching out Lesnar and Goldberg for another two months. They're gonna face off at the next PPV. And these four aren't great wrestlers so I imagine a triple threat is probably the best move to make it better and then the fourth guy will face Undertaker.

So if Reigns is champ, he probably won't face Taker unless they turn Reigns heel which won't happen. It won't be Lesnar again. Strowman would be a very sucky choice. I think it makes the most sense to have Goldberg vs. Taker and then Reigns/Strowman/Lesnar for the title. 

Orton is winning the Rumble. Bray winning the title at Elimination Chamber. Orton/Bray at Mania.

would much rather it be Jericho winning and Owens retaining.

40 minutes ago, Nixon said:

Orton is winning the Rumble. Bray winning the title at Elimination Chamber. Orton/Bray at Mania.

would much rather it be Jericho winning and Owens retaining.

That was what Dave said the tentative m plan was, though I was going to put it in spoilers just in case. 

If that is the case, fuck it. I can deal. I'd prefer the title not be like the fifth match down the card but it's been a pretty wonderfully built storyline and would really freshen up the title picture which really has no one left for AJ to face. But if they did go this route they really should have Bray win the Rumble and Orton win the Chamber. 

I've heard that rumor also. I feel like ready-made feuds for WrestleMania like Goldberg/Lesnar, Owens/Jericho, Rollins/Triple H and Orton/Wyatt don't need the title to make them relevant. I think the title should be used to make a match no one cares about somewhat interesting. That's why as much as I don't want to see Reigns as champion, it does make the most sense to give him the title as it will give his useless WM match a purpose.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

I've heard that rumor also. I feel like ready-made feuds for WrestleMania like Goldberg/Lesnar, Owens/Jericho, Rollins/Triple H and Orton/Wyatt don't need the title to make them relevant. I think the title should be used to make a match no one cares about somewhat interesting. That's why as much as I don't want to see Reigns as champion, it does make the most sense to give him the title as it will give his useless WM match a purpose.

Well Reigns can still get the title on Raw with things going this way. 

Yea I don't consider it a rumor since it came from Meltzer; more like the gospel. Not a huge fan of Orton winning the rumble at all, although the Wyatt shit on smackdown has been so, so great.

1 minute ago, Ruiner said:

the title picture which really has no one left for AJ to face.

I strongly disagree with this. AJ could dispose of Cena for the third time which pushes Cena over the edge and they turn him heel. Heel Cena does some other shit not associated with AJ or the title. Meanwhile, AJ defends his title in the chamber and then goes on to WM to face Undertaker before he takes his post-Mania vacation. After Mania, AJ could feud with Ambrose for a few months, Orton for a few months, keep things fresh by having a couple of triple threat or fatal four-way matches at PPVs. By that point the draft will mix things up and he'll have all new opponents to face. They could easily keep him champion for the bulk of 2017 and not run out of opponents for him to face.

13 minutes ago, Nixon said:

Yea I don't consider it a rumor since it came from Meltzer; more like the gospel. Not a huge fan of Orton winning the rumble at all, although the Wyatt shit on smackdown has been so, so great.

But he did stress that it could change, so it's not necessarily so. 

But yeah thinking about it more even if I don't mind the feud being for the title I don't like Orton winning. It'll just be a flat and been there done that ending. At least Bray winning is exciting. I guess the idea is to tease Orton/Styles as the title match, and then swerve with Wyatt winning the title. But it seems so rushed, and it's not THAT good a swerve. It's less obvious a title change than if Bray wins the Rumble and Orton wins the title, because Wyatt/Styles is obviously not the plan. But it's still fairly obvious. 

Not a fan of Orton the Rumble either. I don't think their storyline has been all that great because everyone could have predicted the ending since day one. They never tried to truly fit Orton in. It reminds of his Rollins fued from WM 31. 

If theyre going that route, I think it makes way more sense to have Bray win the rumble and Orton win the belt. Then you can have him win the title at Mania and finally legitimize him. No more losing fueds for him. 

3 hours ago, Ruiner said:

But he did stress that it could change, so it's not necessarily so. 

But yeah thinking about it more even if I don't mind the feud being for the title I don't like Orton winning. It'll just be a flat and been there done that ending. At least Bray winning is exciting. I guess the idea is to tease Orton/Styles as the title match, and then swerve with Wyatt winning the title. But it seems so rushed, and it's not THAT good a swerve. It's less obvious a title change than if Bray wins the Rumble and Orton wins the title, because Wyatt/Styles is obviously not the plan. But it's still fairly obvious. 

It's been obvious since Orton "turned heel", it was just a matter of when. They carried it a lot longer than I expected them to. 

This is the first wrestling event I've gone out of my way to make sure I watch live since Wrestlemania, I'm pretty excited about the unknown. I hope some of you bitches are around the forum so you can give me your hot takes as the night goes on. 

50 minutes ago, Omar said:

This is the first wrestling event I've gone out of my way to make sure I watch live since Wrestlemania

It's funny you said this because I was talking to my friend the other night and I was telling him how much I'm looking forward to the Royal Rumble match and I said this is probably the first time I've been excited for a PPV since WM last year. Matches here and there like the Shield triple threat and Goldberg/Lesnar have interested me but as far as overall PPVs go, this is the most excited I've been since WM last year.

43 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

SPOILERS

While Rusev has really won me over in recent months by mostly ditching his foolish evil foreigner character and developing a real personality, I'd still be very disappointed if he won the Rumble.

And let me add, while he hasn't and likely will never win me over, Bray Wyatt has been much more enjoyable in this hocus pocus-less feud with Orton and Harper.

Did anyone watch Roode/Nakamura? I wanted to see the two best entrances/theme songs in wrestling right now so I watched the introductions but I didn't watch the match yet. The match was 27 minutes long so I'm assuming it was a classic but with four hours of wrestling ahead of me tonight, I didn't want to watch it now.

19 minutes ago, Mike said:

Did anyone watch Roode/Nakamura? I wanted to see the two best entrances/theme songs in wrestling right now so I watched the introductions but I didn't watch the match yet. The match was 27 minutes long so I'm assuming it was a classic but with four hours of wrestling ahead of me tonight, I didn't want to watch it now.

Uh, I don't know. The entrances were brilliant. The match itself... I didn't love it. I had no clue it was that long, and knowing it went so long kind of makes it worse because it felt like a pretty boring match. My takeaway was that Nakamura is on autopilot until he gets called up and Roode is just a generally boring worker. 

But that's just me. To my surprise, Dave said on this morning's WOR that he thought it was great so maybe I'm just dumb. For me, surprisingly enough, the tag title match and Tye Dillinger vs Eric Young were my favorites. DIY did an incredible carry job of Authors of Pain to a damn good match and the opener was just plain fun with a few creative false finishes and the good kind of overbooking. 

Roderick Strong vs Almas was good but just there, and the women's fatal four way felt like the first half of a great match and then it abruptly ended. I've actually had an issue with all of Asuka's title matches being too short--the Bayley matches should've been classics but ended just as they were picking up. 

Roode/Nakamura was good not great.  Very strong third act, pretty by the numbers up until that.

Very happy Roode is champion though.

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

This arena is huge. There's gotta be 1.5 million people in attendance.

Maybe 2 million