Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

Split ending discussion

8 posts in this topic

So for those who want to be spoiled, here is what happens...one of the girls is rescued at the end and James McAvoy's villain character is on the run. The last scene shows a packed diner and people are watching the news talking about the events that happened in the movie. Referring to McAvoy's character, one lady says something like "this reminds me of that guy in the wheelchair from 15 years ago. What's his name?" And then Bruce Willis is sitting next to her and he says "Mr. Glass." So this movie takes place in the same universe as Unbreakable and leads up to the long rumored Unbreakable 2. Fucking brilliant.

Yep, it's fantastic. I've been waiting 17 years for a sequel, and Unbreakable is probably my favorite super hero origin story. 

I still have some issues with the flashbacks in this movie, I didn't like the pacing, BUT after seeing that ending it makes me feel the girl will be used in the sequel. I think she'll help take down The Horde with David. I also wonder if Mr. Glass will use The Horde for his own evil plans, it's going to be interesting. 

Everything else in this film was fixed by that ending though; I thought the psychiatrist stuff had too much exposition for something I could just look up online, but now I see she was more discussing the beginnings of people developing super powers. Also I pretty much got taken out of the movie when he started climbing on the ceiling and had rhino-like skin, but that ending completely fixed it.

It went from a pretty good psychological thriller to a great super villain origin story. 

Yeah I do hope Casey is in the sequel because if you forget about the ending for a moment and think about the rest of the movie, she didn't really get a happy ending and I'd like to see her get one.

Anya Taylor-Joy was great in this movie. She has a very bright future (and I just looked and saw she has the same birthday as me). I didn't like The Witch or Morgan but she was good in those and she was good in Split. I like the types of roles she is taking. And James McAvoy was amazing. If award shows didn't have a bias against movies that didn't fit their mold, he would definitely get some awards for his performance in Split.

15 minutes ago, Mike said:

Yeah I do hope Casey is in the sequel because if you forget about the ending for a moment and think about the rest of the movie, she didn't really get a happy ending and I'd like to see her get one.

Anya Taylor-Joy was great in this movie. She has a very bright future (and I just looked and saw she has the same birthday as me). I didn't like The Witch or Morgan but she was good in those and she was good in Split. I like the types of roles she is taking. And James McAvoy was amazing. If award shows didn't have a bias against movies that didn't fit their mold, he would definitely get some awards for his performance in Split.

I'm not going to say such a bias doesn't exist, but I think that you're overstating it, as Amy Adams's recognition for Arrival and several other handsful of comparable roles in recent memory. I think the issue is more that no movie gets any attention without somebody putting money into campaigning for awards, and performances don't (typically) get recognized for movies that don't get great reviews, even if the performance warrants it. 

On 1/23/2017 at 10:16 AM, Mike said:

So for those who want to be spoiled, here is what happens...one of the girls is rescued at the end and James McAvoy's villain character is on the run. The last scene shows a packed diner and people are watching the news talking about the events that happened in the movie. Referring to McAvoy's character, one lady says something like "this reminds me of that guy in the wheelchair from 15 years ago. What's his name?" And then Bruce Willis is sitting next to her and he says "Mr. Glass." So this movie takes place in the same universe as Unbreakable and leads up to the long rumored Unbreakable 2. Fucking brilliant.

I picked up this movie over the weekend.  It's really, really good, except for one thing.

I felt like throwing it into the Unbreakable universe was extremely forced.  Seriously, if it wasn't for that last 15 seconds there was ZERO relation to the other film.  No little nods or quotes.  Just a force cameo.  

1 minute ago, BreakTheAgony87 said:

I felt like throwing it into the Unbreakable universe was extremely forced.  Seriously, if it wasn't for that last 15 seconds there was ZERO relation to the other film.  No little nods or quotes.  Just a force cameo.  

This isn't a Marvel movie. Bruce Willis isn't in a Halloween costume beating up aliens in Times Square. People don't know who he is. He's not a superhero. And The Horde wasn't a known figure until the end of the movie when he was on the news so it's not like they could've added something in there with Mr. Glass. What references to Unbreakable were you expecting that wouldn't have been completely forced in?

4 hours ago, BreakTheAgony87 said:

I picked up this movie over the weekend.  It's really, really good, except for one thing.

The only thing I can say is that it was always intended to be part of the Unbreakable universe as the very concept of the film was originally an excised subplot from Unbreakable.