God is a Geek: 10/10
Polygon: 9/10
Giant Bomb: 8/10
Gamesradar: 4.5/5
IGN: 7.7/10
Game Informer: 8.5/10
Destructoid: 10/10

Oh man... I am excited.

I don't know if I have the balls to play a game like that all the way through. The feeling of terror and dread gets old after a while. I loved Alien: Isolation for the first few hours but eventually I need a break from creeping around expecting to die all the time. I couldn't imagine playing a game like P.T. for 8-10 hours.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I don't know if I have the balls to play a game like that all the way through. The feeling of terror and dread gets old after a while. I loved Alien: Isolation for the first few hours but eventually I need a break from creeping around expecting to die all the time. I couldn't imagine playing a game like P.T. for 8-10 hours.

The reviews are saying it's more like the original RE trilogy than those games so it's probably worth a shot if you liked those. 

Me myself, I'll be getting it at 9 tonight because Gamestop is releasing it then for some reason instead of midnight EST. Very pumped up. 

5 hours ago, Ruiner said:

The reviews are saying it's more like the original RE trilogy than those games so it's probably worth a shot if you liked those. 

Me myself, I'll be getting it at 9 tonight because Gamestop is releasing it then for some reason instead of midnight EST. Very pumped up. 

I have it preloaded and ready to go for tomorrow. I'll play while I'm working tomorrow.

I made it an hour in last night (thanks, in-game clock!), though that may not reflect everybody's experience because I was taking my sweet time advancing through it. Really good so far, though. I really like that there's a block mechanic. 

@Mike, I think you'd handle this fine. It's more like the overbearing tension of being hunted that was in Alien: Isolation than the unrelenting pants-shitting of Amnesia or PT. And the brand of horror is more Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 or Evil Dead. Doses of black humor, slight campiness. There's the air of Resident Evil's brand of wackiness keeping it from being overwhelmingly scary, but not so much that it isn't effective as horror. It's a good balance. 

20 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

@Mike, I think you'd handle this fine. It's more like the overbearing tension of being hunted that was in Alien: Isolation than the unrelenting pants-shitting of Amnesia or PT. And the brand of horror is more Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 or Evil Dead. Doses of black humor, slight campiness. There's the air of Resident Evil's brand of wackiness keeping it from being overwhelmingly scary, but not so much that it isn't effective as horror. It's a good balance. 

I'm currently clearing my hard drive by playing the free games and then Halo Wars 2, Zelda and Mass Effect are on the way. I also need to finish BioShock 2 and Infinite to get done with that collection. I'm estimating I should be done with this stuff by early April and then after that I'm gonna get GameFly and I'm gonna rent Resident Evil. In my brief time with the demo, I liked the controls, movement, first-person perspective and the story seemed good and easy for a newcomer to follow. 

50 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'm currently clearing my hard drive by playing the free games and then Halo Wars 2, Zelda and Mass Effect are on the way. I also need to finish BioShock 2 and Infinite to get done with that collection. I'm estimating I should be done with this stuff by early April and then after that I'm gonna get GameFly and I'm gonna rent Resident Evil. In my brief time with the demo, I liked the controls, movement, first-person perspective and the story seemed good and easy for a newcomer to follow. 

I keep forgetting about Mass Effect in March. What a time to be alive. 

So I beat this a while back and I should report in: easily the best Resident Evil in the past ten years, but anything less would've been disappointing and anything more was impossible. I really really love what they did with the first half of the game, really memorable and everything you could ever want from Resident Evil in 2017. After that, in classic Resident Evil tradition, the story gets a bit goofy and Capcom-y and the game becomes less scary and more action-y in such a way that it wouldn't be great if the whole game was like that but because of the progression it works, but that first half is still way more memorable. Again, basically every good Resident Evil game. 

But really the more strongly horror parts of the game are really unlike anything the genre has offered, striking this perfect balance between camp and terror without either intruding on the other. I'm very excited to see where they take this next. 

Also, I rarely do Let's Plays but Achievement Hunter's is really really entertaining and is worth watching, even if (especially if) you aren't going to play the game. They've already done two videos, I'm hoping they continue at a brisk pace. 

So I am about 45 minutes in and I absolutely love it so far. Playing this late with no lights and surround sound makes the atmosphere really scary/creepy, and has made me jump several times already. So much so that I had to get off tonight because my heart was racing so much that I didn't think I would be able to fall asleep for work tomorrow if I kept playing late into the night haha.

I'm on Madhouse mode and... fuck. In addition to being crushingly difficult, all the items are in different places, some but not all enemy locations and triggers have been rearranged. And, of course, old school limited saves. I really wish there was some kind of less brutal Hard mode in between this and Normal, because I have to hand it to them, the rearrangement makes the game pretty damn scary even after beating it, which is no small feat, but this is so punishing difficulty wise that most wouldn't dare screw with it, and many who do will probably quit once they reach the first fight. 

1 hour ago, Nixon said:

Don't suppose there's a third person view option?

No. Some guy made a mod on PC for it but there's no head. 

Not sure how third person would work anyways. Like the old games, the game is specifically designed around you having a limited perspective. Only being able to see what's directly on front of you is the source of a LOT of suspense. 

5 hours ago, Ruiner said:

No. Some guy made a mod on PC for it but there's no head. 

Not sure how third person would work anyways. Like the old games, the game is specifically designed around you having a limited perspective. Only being able to see what's directly on front of you is the source of a LOT of suspense. 

? The old games were third person

8 minutes ago, Nixon said:

? The old games were third person

And they were built around having a limited perspective. In those games it was set camera angles, in this one it's first person. The point is they all build suspense over what you can't see. 

So this game continues the Resident Evil tradition of offering excellent replay value... 

- Madhouse mode is excellent. Even though I had already beat the game and had gotten used to it, it was an even more suspenseful and sometimes more scary play than the first playthrough. If only the enemies weren't so dramatically sped up, I'd call it hands down the definitive version of the game. But it's a bridge too far in terms of added difficulty (the enemies that are already fast in normal become absolute nightmares to deal with) that I couldn't recommend it to everybody unless they're up for an occasionally punishing experience. Regardless, it's what elevates it from being a very good game to a great one in my eyes. It forces resource management and smart decision making as much as (maybe even more) than the classic games. 

- And again in Resident Evil tradition, there are unlockables that keep me coming back for more. And even better, for people who care about trophies, each unlockable makes a different trophy easy to collect. For instance, beating the game on normal unlocks a handgun that is more powerful than the default one, and a big buff for blocking attacks. These are pretty much essential for playing on Madhouse. Beating the game on Madhouse unlocks infinite ammo--with infinite ammo, it's much easier to unlock the speedrun trophy. Beating the game in under 4 hours unlocks a very overpowered melee weapon that makes Madhouse much easier, and X-ray glasses that show you where all the collectibles are without using a walkthrough. 

I've sunk 25 hours into the game easy and I'm still having fun (if I'm a bit too powerful to be scared), having not touched the extra modes yet. That isn't anything when put next to an RPG or something, but for a modest length survival horror game, it's pretty damn good. I really wish more developers of linear single player games would steal these replay incentives.