NFL Wild Card Round (2016 season)

58 posts in this topic

Saturday, Jan. 7
Raiders at Texans | 4:35 p.m. ET, ESPN/ABC
Lions at Seahawks | 8:15 p.m. ET, NBC

Sunday, Jan. 8
Dolphins at Steelers | 1:05 p.m. ET, CBS
Giants at Packers | 4:40 p.m. ET, Fox

Let's go Giants, let's go. Would have much preferred to have faced the Lions given Stafford's middle finger problems, and Rodgers at home is a threatening factor in any scenario, but the game plan has shut them down Mike McCarthy multiple times in the past (even if recency may not be on their side). The Giants defense should do a good job shutting down the passing game, although Jordy is still explosive, but Janoris has been elite at coverage this year and I think he will keep it up. It will be a close game, I can say that.

6 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

Let's go Giants, let's go. Would have much preferred to have faced the Lions given Stafford's middle finger problems, and Rodgers at home is a threatening factor in any scenario, but the game plan has shut them down Mike McCarthy multiple times in the past (even if recency may not be on their side). The Giants defense should do a good job shutting down the passing game, although Jordy is still explosive, but Janoris has been elite at coverage this year and I think he will keep it up. It will be a close game, I can say that.

Gonna make your picks, GB?

I'm thrilled that the Dolphins are in the playoffs for the first since in eight years, but I don't see how they'll beat the Steelers.

27 minutes ago, American_Idiot said:

I'm thrilled that the Dolphins are in the playoffs for the first since in eight years, but I don't see how they'll beat the Steelers.

They've done it before this season, but Pittsburgh's a tough place to win football games. Don't underestimate Jay Ajayi, though.

I'm the only one thus far that's picked the Lions over the Seahawks - I think Earl Thomas not being there has really hurt them - and they aren't so good anymore at home as they once were.  Stafford has made all the throws he's need to make with that bad finger, I don't think that's a problem, either. Combine that with some Zach Zenner magic, and I think the Lions have a chance.

1 hour ago, Koldes said:

I'm the only one thus far that's picked the Lions over the Seahawks - I think Earl Thomas not being there has really hurt them - and they aren't so good anymore at home as they once were.  Stafford has made all the throws he's need to make with that bad finger, I don't think that's a problem, either. Combine that with some Zach Zenner magic, and I think the Lions have a chance.

I think Seattle is in trouble for the rest of the playoffs but the Lions are a waste of time, they don't have a chance on the road. I'll be surprised if they pull it off. I don't think it'll be a blow out but it's going to be a 24-14 game where the game is never in question. 

In terms of the Super Bowl I want to see, I'm with the rest of the world in rooting for Patriots vs. Cowboys. But a forgotten team I'd like to see win it would be Kansas City. Poor Alex Smith has been compared to future HOFer Aaron Rodgers his whole career. He's constantly been referred to as a draft bust. I'd love to see him win it to stick it to the haters. And Andy Reid is a very underrated coach who needs a ring. 

2 hours ago, Mike said:

In terms of the Super Bowl I want to see, I'm with the rest of the world in rooting for Patriots vs. Cowboys. But a forgotten team I'd like to see win it would be Kansas City. Poor Alex Smith has been compared to future HOFer Aaron Rodgers his whole career. He's constantly been referred to as a draft bust. I'd love to see him win it to stick it to the haters. And Andy Reid is a very underrated coach who needs a ring. 

Do people really dog on Alex that much? I'm in the heartland so I might just be getting their perspective but he's really well liked by most people I talk to. He's not Rodgers but he's definitely not a bust.

13 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Do people really dog on Alex that much? I'm in the heartland so I might just be getting their perspective but he's really well liked by most people I talk to. He's not Rodgers but he's definitely not a bust.

I think the people who dislike him dislike him because of his style of play, which is goddamn boring. I don't see any reason other than that. 

I'll do my full "rooting interest" rankings later this week, and the Chiefs and Falcons are right up there. Wouldn't be too bad if they won the whole thing. Though if the Chiefs win it I will probably hate them because that would mean they beat the Pats. 

My rooting interest rankings (inspired by Omar's post):

Chiefs (they and the Browns are the teams that I've been rooting for post-Peyton)
Lions
Falcons
Dolphins (I like them more with Matt Moore than Ryan Tannehill, but they're probably about here either way)
Texans
Cowboys
Raiders
Giants
Steelers
Seahawks
Packers
Patriots (Unless Jimmy G replaced Brady due to injury, in which case then they'd volt up the list)

As you can see, I have all the QBs who've never won Super Bowls above QBs who have won them.

9 hours ago, Mike said:

I agree that many analysts have been unfairly critical of Alex Smith, demeaning him as merely a "game manager." But in a way, this is a compliment because the QB's #1 job is to manage the offense in whatever way maximizes the chances of winning the game. Sometimes that's putting up yards and points, but it can also be possessing the ball or merely avoiding turnovers. When it comes to winning, Alex has been one of the best in the last 6 years, and clearly it's not just that he's had really great teams, as the Chiefs were 2-14 the year before he got there and won his first 9 games.

I don't think that Alex Smith has been considered a bust ever since that 2011 season with Harbaugh's NFL coaching debut when Smith put up efficient numbers and won a playoff game (and his team was a special teams fumble away from perhaps appearing in and maybe winning the Super Bowl). And when you consider the list of 1st overall pick QBs drafted in the last 20 years, he doesn't compare all that unfavorably:

Peyton Manning (better than Smith)
Tim Couch (worse than Smith)
Michael Vick (borderline, more electric but also more of a liability to his team)
David Carr (worse)
Carson Palmer (borderline, his 2-3 best seasons were better than Smith's best so far but also commits turnovers that kill his team's record)
Eli Manning (better, but only by virtue of his playoff success and rings)
Jamarcus Russell (way worse)
Matthew Stafford (borderline so far, but ceiling is higher)
Sam Bradford (worse, though his first several years have been better than Alex's were so maybe Sam puts it together like Alex did)
Cam Newton (better)
Andrew Luck (better)
Too early to say anything about Jameis Winston and Jared Goff, but early returns suggest that Jameis will be better and Goff will be worse.

Add those all together, and Alex has been about as good as your average 1st overall pick at QB.

The main criticisms of Alex Smith seem to be how he just doesn't seem "flashy" enough, but he's serviceable enough to lead the Chiefs to a Super Bowl. The offense has never primarily ran around him, with Gore and Charles, and so he doesn't have the huge stats but he's more than capable to lead a playoff team.

Violent hit on Moore but totally clean. He was running well out of the pocket, just got rid of the ball less than a second earlier and it was a clean hit to the chest. They should change roughing the passer penalties and just call them touching the passer penalties.