Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jmg05005

2016: Alternanoise Retrospective

28 posts in this topic

16. Girls Talk Boys - 5 Seconds of Summer

Spoiler

Thanks to this song being from a soundtrack, 5SOS got to depart from their normal pop punk ways and put the emphasis on pure pop. It's catchy and fun and the only song I really wanted to listen to all summer long.

15. Tonight I Wrote A Song For You - 3 Pill Morning

Spoiler

This was the song that had me most excited for this album. When they posted the video featuring Dani from Cold Kingdom, I freaked out because she's my favorite female singer and it's a beautiful joining of two great Minneapolis bands. It's a different kind of song for them, written because they "never write anything sweet", and they do a great job with it.

3 Pill Morning see also: Never Look Back, The Hunted

14. Vixen - Antistar

Maybe this song should be rated higher because it's the only song I got a tattoo for this year but there were so many good releases this year! I've always had a hard time describing what Antistar is like. It took me seeing them a few times to finally get into them and get what they're about. This was one of the songs that helped get me hooked, even before they threw Elissa's (lead singer of Dividing Eden) vocals on it. Her vocals are what make this track stand out above the others to me (no surprise there, really).

See also: Plane Exit, Juggernaut

13. Crazy = Genuis - Panic! At The Disco

Spoiler

It wasn't easy to single out one song of Panic!'s album, which is now my second favorite album from them. There's so many fun songs on it and Brendon's vocals are better than ever before and he doesn't hesitate to show them off. I went with this one because it's one of the ones I think is most fun and it also has a fun throwback feel to it. I might also be biased towards it as well because it was one of my favorites live when I saw them at Summerfest.

See also: Don't Threaten Me With A Good Time, Victorious

12. You Can't Have It All - The Veer Union

Spoiler

Decade sounds like what you would expect an album from The Veer Union to sound like, which makes sense because it's kind of an overview of the 10 years that Crispin has put into it. While I was most excited for the songs that he had done with Tommy Lee, this track ended up being my favorite. Just another great song from this band who is consistently great and just plain consistent. They know what works and they stick to it.

See also: Watch You Lose, Heart Attack

11. Home - Emergent

Spoiler

For some, the biggest loss in Minnesota music last year was the death of Prince. For others, like me, it was when Aaron stepped down as the vocalist of Emergent - one of the best bands that has ever come out of Minneapolis. Luckily, not that long ago, they announced the return of Emergent and dropped this song. I can't wait to see what else is going to come from these guys in 2017.