Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jmg05005

2016: Alternanoise Retrospective

28 posts in this topic

20. Lets start off with a cover song. I love his passionate vocals on this one and of course I love the original. They did a good job of making it more 'metal."

19. Another great Tremonti record. I picked this one because its my most played from the record and it slays and it rips.

18. Very good message on this and Adam's D.'s solo fucking rips.

17. This is so catchy and hooky and heavy. Its the shit

16. Cage9 put out a great album and this song is so catchy and would have been a big hit if all was right in the world.

15. Metallica is back and this my favorite on the new album.

14. Im glad these guys are getting some attention back in the UK because I love this song and Ep they put out.

13. I love the year 1992 and the little 3 song ep they put out. Give us more!

12. This Gojira album was dope as hell. Love the new clean singing, love the furocity combined with melody.

11. Another cover. I love what they did with this and made it their own. Death metal vocals with female singing = winner.

10. I like the meaning of the song and really dig the new vocal style.

9. Former Signum AD members. catchy as fuck.

8. Love this band and how they combine metal, rap, jazz all into one.

7. I played this hundreds of times in the car. Proof that an old band can still sound relevant.

6. Overall was disappointed with this album but this song is fucking great. If only the rest was as good.

5. Best Otep album in years and shes as pissed off and angry as ever. Love it.

4. Best new band in years. What a beautiful murder ballad.

3. What a great album. I picked this one because I love the horns section.

2. Holy shit, this reminds me of Smashing Pumpkins straight out of Simease Dream era. Im glad they are getting some attention in their hometown of Australia.

1. Some of the best of what progressive metalcore has to offer with amazing female vocals. Amazing again.

I liked Thrice Black Honey a lot as well but since OP used it I decided to pick something else. I probably like The New Jesus just as much as You're So Wonderful but I decided to pick the latter. Yeah it seems it was kind of a down year compared to the past but I didnt really seek out as much stuff as I normally do for whatever reason. I'll throw in 5 bonus picks because I forgot about them earlier.

25. Just discovered Landon Tewers, I'm really digging this song.  Album is decent 

24. Wasn't a fan of Tango Umbrella really, but AHC did good with Perfectionist 

23. I like From Ashes to New, and can identify with this song

22. Really enjoyed the new Korn, hard to pick a song, this one will do 

21. Love this song, it's catchy 

Holy shit this is a lot of videos on one page.

I'm going to do what I did last year and take a page out of Andrew's book, sharing a song or two at a time with thoughts. And like last year, I'm not bothering ranking the songs because ranking songs just doesn't work for me. So I'll start with two:

Massive Attack - "Voodoo in My Blood"

It was tricky (no pun intended) to pick just one track off of Massive Attack's excellent surprise EP Ritual Spirit, but the above unnerving music video (starring none other than Rosamund Pike) was enough to give the edge to the hypnotic "Voodoo in My Blood". Like most of the songs on the EP, it features a first-time guest vocal guest--Young Fathers, who are every bit up to the task--and is largely unrecognizable from the group's previous output in every regard apart from its dense atmosphere and cinematic qualities. Yet, it's a thrilling ride that is distinctly Massive Attack even while being the latest in their never-ending string of departures.

Chevelle - "Shot From a Cannon"

Chevelle released what is quite possibly their finest work to date this year, a coherent and distinct vehicle of powerful riffs, career-best vocal work, and an organic, non-manufactured quality that the trio hasn't always had. It never threatens to overstay its welcome or try and be something it isn't, and it results in a ten-track kick in the balls that cements the band as, along with Stone Sour, one of the last great bands keeping accessible hard rock alive. This all culminates in the closing track, in which the band ventures into outright sludge metal, with absolutely filthy bass and guitar work combining with an unhinged performance from Pete Loeffler to take it all home. It pulls off one of the only conventional (if unfriendly) hooks of the album, and then fades away with an extended jam that is a perfect conclusion to the record.

9 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

an organic, non-manufactured quality that the trio hasn't always had

What does this mean? Because I want to make sure I'm understanding this properly before I smite you.

16 minutes ago, pen said:

What does this mean? Because I want to make sure I'm understanding this properly before I smite you.

Not meant as a diss on anything else they've done, just a way in which this record is different. The songs feel a bit more natural than a lot of their prior ones. It's a hard thing to really put into words. A bit looser, less "manufactured". It sounds... effortless. 

Helms Alee - "Andromenous"

The Seattle, WA based trio Helms Alee was a delightful find for me this year--their low-tuned guitars, heavy grooves, and dissonant vocals reminding me somewhat of Deftones (that's a good thing). This late-album track marks the only point in their latest record Stillicide's length in which the band slows it down and it's a lovely brooder, all atmosphere with dissonant guitars and calm vocals, up until its peak intensity where violent background vocals kick in to bring it home. It's a strong showcase for each of the three members and an excellent first exposure to what the band has to offer.

Death Grips - "Giving Bad People Good Ideas"

Following the release of their sixth and "final" LP Jenny Death last March, Death Grips did exactly what you'd expect, immediately getting to work on album number seven, The Bottomless Pit, which saw its release earlier this year. The record itself is an interesting one, not quite continuing in the noise rock direction they took on Jenny Death but rather taking those elements and blending them with the wildly varying sounds of their previous albums, going all the way back to The Money Store. The result is a record that's up to the standard of the group's pedigree, if not quite at the level of their finest output (which I'd argue is either last year's record or 2013's NO LOVE DEEP WEB). The opening track, however, is a ferocious, unfriendly kick in the teeth repeated over and over, blasting kick drums and distorted guitar for its entire duration, only broken up by Cherry Glazerr's Clementine Creevy speaking the song's title. It's everything one could ask for from a Death Grips album opener, an abrasive and delightful weird statement of intent for the hour of musical id that follows.

Saul Williams - "No Different"

"Don't ever give up on me, don't ever give up on me / Even when I'm tortured by my arrogance and too selfish to be free"

Saul Williams's ambitious concept album MartyrLoserKing is the kind of record that's really hard to do justice in a single track--unlike his prior work, it thrives not on big standouts but on the whole picture painted by its many parts. And it's something that's apparent when listening to the poignant penultimate song "No Different" out of context, that you're only listening to a single chapter of a bigger story. That doesn't stop it, however, from being a beautiful and heartbreaking slice of that story, focused on the relationship between the titular main character and his lover.

Savages - "Adore"

Post-punk quartet Savages took an artsier turn on their sophomore record Adore Life, and it was a decision that paid dividends with an album that was largely stronger and more complete than their slam dunk debut Silence Yourself. That shift is most pronounced in the melancholic "Adore", a powerful ballad in which lead singer Jehnny Beth turns in a powerhouse performance while discussing a question that's familiar to anybody who's suffered from clinical depression: "Is it human to adore life?" The answer to that question obviously doesn't lie within the song's five minute span, but Beth and her bandmates (including Ayse Hassan's usual standout bass guitar work) explore it in uncompromising fashion, and pay it all off with a commanding finale.

Okay new rule: put your fucking videos in spoilers, ESPECIALLY if you're going to cram five videos into a single post.
Next....

The Dillinger Escape Plan - "Nothing to Forget"

Spoiler

If I was presented with simply picking my favorite song off of The Dillinger Escape Plan's swan song, Dissociation, having to choose would probably make me go completely mad. It's possibly the best album the band has released over their long career, and at least half of the tracks offered are at such a level of quality that picking one over the other is nigh impossible. But considering the audience, it wasn't so difficult; "Nothing to Forget" marks the second-to-last song of the band's career, and it's an uncharacteristically accessible track that resembles Faith No More more closely than anything they've put out before (including the EP that Mike Patton was actually the lead vocalist for). That's far from a diss, though. Whether the standard is Faith No More or The Dillinger Escape Plan, the song more than lives up to the lofty expectations associated with either. While being an alt-metal song more than a mathcore one, it's a uniquely fitting last hurrah (album closer "Dissociation" feels almost like an epilogue to this track)--a microcosm of the band's tonality. At times it's tense and reserved, at others beautiful and poignant, and at others deliriously unhinged. Greg Puciato turns in a performance more than worthy of the Patton comparisons that've for better or worse followed him his entire career, and Ben Weinman's songwriting ingenuity is as apparent as it ever has been.

David Bowie - "Blackstar"

Spoiler

Y'know, it's easy to dismiss the universal acclaim of David Bowie's final release just days before his death as a form of understandable eulogy, but to do that would be wrong, because Blackstar really is that good. Even after 40 years, one of the very greatest musicians of all time still manages to be entirely ahead of his time, and it's clear from the very first, ten minute track. It's a song (like most of the album) that's really hard to properly describe--I don't know what words to use for it. It's a dizzying, unpredictable, cryptic ride of a song that can only really be understood by listening to it.

I'm going to throw up a couple bonus tracks before I get into my list (because I had a really hard time doing 20 instead of 25). 

We All Die Alone - Another Lost Year

Spoiler

These guys worked with Jose from 3 Years Hollow on this album and I think he really helped them find their sound. I've never liked ALY as much as I have before this album. This song about PTSD stood out right away and it continues to be my favorite.

Mr. Doctor Man - Palaye Royale

Spoiler

I saw Palaye Royale 5 times this year (4 times on Islander's headlining tour and once with Metro Station) and I'm still not sure exactly how to describe their sound. They're signed to Sumerian Records but they're definitely not a typical band for that label. They have a retro sound and feel to them and after seeing them a couple times, it was easy to see why they had a decent size following at most of the shows I saw them at.

The Cure - Open Your Eyes

Spoiler

I had been following these guys for a while because they released a song with Craig Mabbitt a couple years ago but I didn't really get into them until I saw them open for Black Stone Cherry a couple months ago. BSC had two openers: Otis, who sounded exactly what you would expect a band opening for them would sound like, and Open Your Eyes, a band from Chicago who were the opposite. I'm bad at describing genres but I'd say they're somewhere between a Warped Tour band and a straight up rock band. I really enjoyed their live performance and I don't think there's a bad track on their album.

Carousel - Failure Anthem

Spoiler

While Failure Anthem doesn't do much for me, I love this song. I'm a sucker for duets and I love the haunting feel of this song.

You and I - Pvris

Spoiler

I know it's no secret to most people here how good Pvris is.This song quickly became one of my favorites by them.

This isn't technically a top songs list because, if it was, it would just be me ranking the songs of off Emarosa's 131. So here's a song from each band that I really enjoyed, plus two other songs that I think should be checked out.

20. King of Anything - Beartooth

Spoiler

I've never really been into Beartooth. I listened to a few songs off their first album and they weren't for me (except for the low gain mix of The Lines) and I saw them at a festival and didn't last through their whole set. But after Fair Weather Friend popped up on my Spotify Discover and not hating Aggressive, I decided to check out their album. To my surprise, I actually enjoyed it. It was on my AOTY list for a while, but ended up getting kicked off when there were so many good releases for me near the last half of the year. What isn't a surprise is the fact that the song I enjoyed the most was the least Beartooth-y song. This one is raw, simple and short and that's all it needs to be. It's a great look into Caleb's head.

See also: Fair Weather Friend, Hate

19. Good Die Young - Adelitas Way

Spoiler

Once again, Adelitas Way put out a solid album. It's my second favorite from them so it wasn't easy picking a favorite track but I went with this one because it stands slightly above the others for me.

See also: Sometimes You're Meant To Get Used, Shame

good idea with the spoiler tags Breanna. Thread's a bit less cluttered that way. In any event, i've been putting together my top songs of the year list and am planning on sharing it with y'all soon

On 12/26/2016 at 6:23 PM, xeph said:

good idea with the spoiler tags Breanna. Thread's a bit less cluttered that way. In any event, i've been putting together my top songs of the year list and am planning on sharing it with y'all soon

@Ruiner actually started it, so good idea to him (and good thing for my computer which hates bring up this topic).

Okay, before I get to song 18, go watch this video. This will probably always be the greatest thing The Strive has done. It was actually my introduction to them although I had totally forgotten about it. I saw them open for Metro Station and when they started playing it, I realized that it was a super depressing song that popped up in my Discover Weekly on Spotify once. I saved it to my favorite playlist and then kind of forgot about it. It's too bad I never checked them out more because they're a great band. Now onto their recent song.

18. Modern Pace - The Strive

Spoiler

Remember The White Tie Affair? This song reminds me of them if all their songs sounded like the one they were famous for mixed with Chris Taylor Brown from Trapt. This album was one of my most fun favorites of the year.

See also: Who I Wanna Be, Where Did You Go

17. Something More - My Memory Remains

Spoiler

Sometimes I hate saying that a band is a local band for me because I feel like people are quick to judge local bands (I know I can be) but I've actually been really lucky in the local band area. Minneapolis has a killer scene and Eau Claire, which is closer to me and in the same state, is growing a decent little scene of their own with the likes of Truth Before Treason and the guys and girl of My Memory Remains. They formed in June of last year and started off by opening for Bridge To Grace, which was when I was introduced to them. Since then they've only gotten better and I'm excited to see what else is in store for them.

See also: Beautiful Monster, Don't Bring Me Down