Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ruiner

Alt-Music Club: Out Came the Wolves - 'Strange Fate'

16 posts in this topic

http://www.antiheromagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Strange-Fate-Album-Cover.jpg

Alternanoise Music Club, Week Eight:

Out Came the Wolves - Strange Fate

(as chosen by @breanna.)
On Deck: @Andrew

THE LIST

Genre: Some sort of rock/metal type genre
Released: October 28, 2016

1. "96"
2. "Queen Mary"
3. "Bleed"
4. "Baby Blue"
5. "Strange Fate"
6. "Kodiak"
7. "ILoveHateYou"
8. "The Curse"
9. "Skin & Bone"
10. "Lowland Hum"

Strange Fate was one of my most anticipated releases of the year even though I hardly knew anything about Out Came The Wolves. I became a fan of them without having a clue what they sounded like and, even with that fact, their debut album was probably my most anticipated release of the year and it did not disappoint. It came out the same day as Avenged Sevenfold's album and even though that band is one of my favorites, it was this album that I found myself spinning most. I normally don't listen to bands that sound like this but they've done a good job of making this style easy to listen to. Part of what makes it so great to me is that they're not afraid to try out different things. Bleed wouldn't sound that out of place on active rock, Lowland Hum is a nice atmospheric piece and ILoveHateYou is a heavy tune where Cameron screams throughout the whole thing. But don't let that scare you if you're not into that kind of thing. I'm not either but it ended up being one of my favorite tracks. Honestly, I don't think there's a bad one in the bunch. My only complaint about this album has been its short run time.

And with this, the first submission to not even have a Wikipedia page for the band, let alone the album. I blame my tardiness on that, and not general laziness.

Also if it's not clear this thing is probably going to be following the Andrew schedule from now on, because I'm not a punctual person. There will always be at least a week, but the new thread goes up when I get to it. Which shouldn't be more than a day or so barring dire circumstances, but don't expect a Wednesday tradition unless that's really important to some people and my hand is forced.

And another thing, the list saw some spring cleaning. Some by request and others by absence. We're nine strong now, which is a good number to me because I didn't want to have to wait 14 fucking weeks between turns anyway.

Pretty solid little record we've got here. They have a nice balance of aggressiveness with all the catchy choruses attached, but I have to say my favorite tracks leaned more towards the former because I'm not a huge fan of this guy's singing voice (he's fine, but not great IMO). The sequencing of the album is kind of weird too, like how they have the two heaviest songs ("Kodiak" and "ILoveHateYou") directly after the interlude. The screaming vocals kind of remind me of the screams in Fightstar, especially their most recent album, but I think these guys are kind of following the Bring Me The Horizon/Bad Omens sort of direction more closely than that. Overall, a pretty solid record, a bit homogenous and same-y at times, but the potential is definitely there and these guys could really have something if they expanded their sound.

Besides a couple of songs that were too screamy for my tastes, I thought this was a pretty solid album. "Bleed" I think is the one song that stood out to me as possibly the best one. "96" is probably my second favorite and is a great opener.

Ruiner, do you know what new deadline you were setting for this? I ask cause I wanted to relisten to the album to share my thoughts but I haven't had an opportunity yet and I want to know when I have to do this by.

3 minutes ago, pen said:

Ruiner, do you know what new deadline you were setting for this? I ask cause I wanted to relisten to the album to share my thoughts but I haven't had an opportunity yet and I want to know when I have to do this by.

I'm just gonna be lazy and say New Year's Day. 

I still haven't returned to this like I wanted but for now I will say what I dug was the mix of heavier, less accessible fare and some very accessible fare with anthem choruses. I like bands that aren't afraid to stretch their wings but know how to dial it back when needed.

So this is the first one I had heard prior to the Club. I LOVED 96 and Queen Mary when they were announced. Bleed came out soon after and I thought it was a solid new sound from them. I really enjoyed it and there's a comment out there saying that I think this has every right to be my "AOTY". Baby Blue is the first new song on the album....and I'm like, YESSS this is awesome. Strange Fate is a perfect interlude for the album....but it actually signifies a shift in the album.

Kodiak is pretty heavy all things considering that the first 5 songs set up...and it just throws me off every time. If it was a one-off to show off how heavy they could be, I'd appreciate it....but ILoveHateYou is the same way.

The Curse goes back to the more traditional ways and I love the song. I think they could easily find themselves in repetitive rut, so its probably for the better they didn't keep it all the same, but I definitely prefer this style. Skin & Bone is good too...and Lowland Hum has your nice closing song material.

This album is a 9/10 for me....but that two song-interval just kills the flow for me as an album, and while it may be in my top 10 for the year because of their normal sound, I just don't listen to it as an album that much. But I love their sound and I can't wait to see what comes of them in the future.