Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

Rogue One SPOILER discussion

16 posts in this topic

Loved it! I had avoided as much as I could so seeing Tarkin again was a real shock. I expected Leia but only a cloaked figure & Carrie Fishers voice. I thought there was lots of nice touches without banging people over the heads with it. 

For me, that's what I wanted from the prequels, loved the huge battle at the end. The outcome wasn't really in doubt of course. 

I wasn't a big fan of the movie. It was definitely better than Episode I but I'm not sure if I liked it more than Episode II. While Episode II did stuff that hurt the franchise, there was a lot of good stuff in it too. Although I wasn't a big fan of Rogue One, it did absolutely nothing to hurt the franchise and enhanced it in many ways. What I liked and didn't like...

+ The Darth Vader action scene at the end was incredible. It was one of the best moments I've ever seen in a Star Wars movie. It felt like watching a horror movie with him slowly moving towards the hapless rebels that didn't stand a chance and destroying them all.

+ I loved how they mentioned that Jyn's father purposely built the Death Star with a fatal flaw. This was a great way to use a spinoff to enhance the franchise. No longer does the weirdly easy way to destroy the Death Star seem weird. It makes sense now. It does seem odd that the architect guy was revealed to be a traitor and they still didn't investigate enough to discover this flaw, but the Death Star still worked so I guess it makes sense that they wouldn't expect foul play.

+ For a prequel, the ending wasn't obvious at all. You just didn't know how exactly the Death Star plans would get in Leia's hands.

+ I love how they didn't constantly force in references to the other movies. I was afraid if was going to feel like some desperate attempt to create a cinematic universe like the DCEU but thankfully it didn't feel like that.

+ The action was fantastic.

+ I thought most of the supporting cast was good. I enjoyed the blind guy and his friend (lover?). The droid was funny.

+ I was pleasantly surprised that Tarkin was in the movie. He was one of the best ones in the movie too. The CGI on him looked awesome. It was almost hard to tell that he was computer animated.

- I thought Jyn was an insanely boring and uncharismatic lead and she was the main reason why I wasn't a big fan of this movie. I thought the same thing of her love interest as well.

- I thought the CGI on Leia looked really crappy. This was surprising because the CGI on Tarkin looked great but maybe that's just because he was in dark scenes most of the time. I thought her "hope" line at the end didn't really feel impactful and instead felt obvious and kinda silly because we had already heard hope mentioned a few times before in the movie.

- While this was probably necessary to feel like a gritty war film, I felt like a lot of the environments were boring looking and too dark.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

What's his name. The male lead. The guy she was hugging at the end on the beach before they both died.

Whoa the leads die in this? That's unexpected. 

3 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

Whoa the leads die in this? That's unexpected. 

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

And plenty of people died in this movie. Those poor, poor rebel soldiers that were massacred at the hands of Darth Vader, further cementing his legacy as the greatest movie villain of all-time. Almost 24 hours later and I still can't get over how awesome that scene was.

30 minutes ago, Mike said:

What's his name. The male lead. The guy she was hugging at the end on the beach before they both died.

Oh no, I knew who you were referring to, I was confused by referring to him as a love interest.

Movie was dope, started a bit slow, third act was incredible.

26 minutes ago, Mike said:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

And plenty of people died in this movie. Those poor, poor rebel soldiers that were massacred at the hands of Darth Vader, further cementing his legacy as the greatest movie villain of all-time. Almost 24 hours later and I still can't get over how awesome that scene was.

Well the word was that Disney wanted it light and fluffy and the advertising since then had been consistent with that so I'm surprised they'd kill the lead. Though it does sound like it was still packaged with some hokey "hope" theme. 

My favorite movie villain is Hans Landa. 

2 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

Well the word was that Disney wanted it light and fluffy and the advertising since then had been consistent with that so I'm surprised they'd kill the lead. Though it does sound like it was still packaged with some hokey "hope" theme.

The entire cast died, really.  The hope theme is a little strong, but as said in the movie, what's a rebellion without hope?

If anything it sounds like the reshoots made the movie darker than it was originally going to be.  Hopefully there's a valuable lesson to be learned here about people assuming dumb bullshit about reshoots and Disney's involvement in things.  Like Disney never made a dark goddamn movie before.

20 hours ago, Ruiner said:

Well the word was that Disney wanted it light and fluffy

Pretty sure I gave you articles explaining why that was bullshit, but whatever.

Anyway, saw this today. Thoughts to come later.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Whenever Marvel lies and says it's too hard to make TV references in their movies, someone should direct them here...

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-rogue-one-rebels-tv-show-connections/

That's a poor comparison since Star Wars Rebels takes place prior to Rogue One and therefore it's much easier to introduce concepts and nods from Point A to Point B. The article even makes a point to say that no actual characters from Rebels tie into Rogue One as of yet. This is a clear difference from the situation Marvel has, where their TV shows run concurrently with the movies and are in sync chronologically.

On 12/17/2016 at 4:43 PM, pen said:

Pretty sure I gave you articles explaining why that was bullshit, but whatever.

Anyway, saw this today. Thoughts to come later.

I realized I never got around to sharing my thoughts, and since I've got some time, I'll do so now, especially now that the movie had time to sink in.

One thing I really liked about this movie is how much it informs the original trilogy and puts a new spin on events in those films. We now know that the Death Star had the obvious weakness because it was put there deliberately, to sabotage it. It also kind of informs the Death Star in Jedi as well, as they never did find out if or how the project was sabotaged and were never able to complete the project without Galen to begin with, so they had no reason not to move forward with making the exact same kind of battle station. Sure, technically you could argue they could've found another "Galen" to go over the plans and find the inconsistency before proceeding with Death Star II, but maybe not. I just love the idea that all these little things are now made richer because this movie explained them in a reasonable and realistic way. It's what the prequels should've been.

I will also say that killing off the entire cast was a very ballsy move but made perfect sense as it explains why they don't get mentioned in "future" movies and it also services the story. This was a Rebellion not used to actually being a Rebellion, and the Rogue One members showed that there are people willing to sacrifice their lives to serve said Rebellion. They more or less kickstarted the Rebellion we see in the trilogy through their actions. I actually was kind of surprised that everyone died though, even still. I thought at least Malbus was going to live to carry on Chirrut's faith, but it's more realistic that they all die, as this was basically a suicide mission to start with. Even though I don't like killing off characters, here it makes sense to highlight both the urgency of what they were trying to do and the desperation in their actions. Plus the scene with Jyn and Cassian on the beach holding each other as the Death Star destroys the planet was extremely moving.

I will say that while I understand all the negativity surrounding resurrecting Peter Cushing with CGI, I also understand that his estate made the decision to do it and I respect that. Plus while a lot of articles claim the CGI looks off compared to real characters, I think that's more their negativity informing their perception than anything else. I personally didn't see any real issue with it in the movie. The peers I've talked to about it had no issue either, except that the eyes still look a little odd, but that's about it. I think it's the most impressive visual feat ever done in a movie, to make a digital representation that looks so much like the actor just working with other actors, but eyes I can see being the real challenge as it's probably difficult to realistically recreate that same level of focus that a real person would have on something, and plus just the light in a person's eyes, for lack of better words. All the same, very well done. I'm not sure how I felt about the Leia appearance at the end but it was brief so I didn't really have enough time to process it. I remember it looking alright, but just being surprised that they even did it as I felt sure we were just going to see the back of her as a nod. I will say that knowing that this technology exists in light of Carrie Fisher's death makes me uncomfortable for the future, but that's a conversation for another time.

I did have a couple minor issues with the movie, but only minor ones. Oddly, while I was okay with the digital Tarkin and Leia, it was James Earl Jones as Vader that was offputting, only because I felt the voice was not the same as I remembered. Not as deep. Can't really put my finger on it and I don't really expect an actor to be able to do the same voice they did some 30-40 years ago on the drop of a dime, but it did take me out of the movie a bit.

The other issue I have is just that some elements of the plot felt like they could have been further developed. A good example off the top of my head is Saw's paranoia. I absolutely thought that he was going to go off the deep end and start subjecting Jyn to the same torture that he was subjecting Riz to earlier in the film, but we only kind of got a hint of Saw being unhinged before we had to move on to other things. I will also say I'm surprised Riz snapped out of his mental state as quickly as he did, as I expected getting him back to reality would've been a lot more difficult. I guess that's the problem with a movie over two hours that it's already so long that to linger further on minor areas would only interrupt the flow of the film and drag it down. It's a shame that these opportunities were missed, but it's completely understandable since we still ended up with a really great and well-rounded film.