Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ruiner

Alt-Music Club: Night Verses - 'Into the Vanishing Light'

21 posts in this topic

Image result for night verses into the vanishing light

Alternanoise Music Club, Week Five:

Night Verses - Into the Vanishing Light

(as chosen by @xeph)
On Deck: @pen

THE LIST

Genre: Post-rock
Released: July 8, 2016
Length: 54:09

Tracklist:

1. "THE FUTURE AS HISTORY: I LOVE YOU DEAD"
2. "CONNECTING HEXES"
3. "DRIFT"

4. "A DIALOGUE IN CATAPLEXY"
5. "VANTABLACK"
6. "FACELESS YOUTH"

7. "PANIC AND PULL YOUR HEART OUT"
8. "GROWING OUT OF ORBIT"
9. "BLUE SHADES OF THE SUN"
10. "STRANGE GRAVES"
11. "PHOENIX III: INTO THE VANISHING LIGHT"

 

Blurb:

Quote

Night Verses have put together my album of the year even after I was completely not expecting anything from them. Rising out of the ashes of The Sleeping, vocalist Doug Robinson joined the band that would become Night Verses and they released their first album 'Lift Your Existence' in 2013. It was fairly standard post-hardcore with hard rock leanings, with plenty of exciting and catchy songs. It was a good album that saw moderate success, but it fell victim to the all too common curse of songs blending together. Fast forward 3 years, and enter Into the Vanishing Light.

Night Verses have taken the next step in every sense of the word. Every song on this album has a distinct feel to it. If you're listening to the opening track, you're probably thinking "oh no, not another metalcore album!", but it's the only song of its kind on the record. It has heavier, chorus-charged tracks like lead single "A Dialogue in Cataplexy" or "Faceless Youth", airy and atmospheric tracks like "Drift" or "Strange Graves", and dark, Tool leaning songs like "Panic and Pull Your Heart Out" or "Growing Out of Orbit". This is to say nothing of the closing song of course, my favorite song of the year. It's so hard to create an 11 minute song, but Night Verses have pulled together a masterpiece that covers all ends of the emotional spectrum that never gets boring. It's legitimately one of the most thrilling listens I can remember hearing in a long time.  Into the Vanishing Light is a full album experience, and should be listened to as such and not just in bits and pieces.

I was astounded at the jump Night Verses had made between albums, but then I saw the album was produced by Ross Robinson, who has developed some absolute post-hardcore classics like At the Drive In's Relationship of Command and Glassjaw's Worship and Tribute. To me, this is an album that absolutely stands up to classics such as those, and I legitimately don't remember the last time I was so captivated by a record. I've easily listened to it 50+ times and will certainly get in 50 more sooner rather than later. I hope you enjoy it half as much as I do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually listened to this... quite a bit ago, I was walking somewhere in Seattle. I think to FedEx. That part's not important, but I remember listening to it back when you went nuts raving about it. I remember it being interesting but I never got back to it for some reason or another. So, I'll do that now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That I am still so enthusiastic about this album after 4 damn months should tell you how much I love it and how excited I am that several other people are now going to listen to it. Even if none of y'all like it, i don't even care yo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say that it's funny how different tastes can make our perspectives on things. I see in the blurb how you kind of try to preemptively quell concerns about an eleven minute song because this one is really good, and when I made the thread that was the one I was most interested in just based on its length. Obviously being a huge fan of proggy stuff like Porcupine Tree would give me an inclination towards this, but I generally love long songs. Yeah, they can suck if the band doesn't know what they're doing, but in that case I'm probably not listening to the song anyway. Looking down the list of my favorite bands... QOTSA, Faith No More, Dillinger, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Massive Attack, Porcupine Tree, Them Crooked Vultures, Tool, picking out my favorite song, it's always one of that band's longest (usually seven+ minutes, five+ in the case of DEP and 18 minutes in the case of PT).

I'm not sure what it is. Maybe it's that those songs tend to be more cinematic, with the music having twists and turns in its direction and building to a climax, kind of a musical narrative of sorts. In some ways I think I just like it when the music has room to breathe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

I will say that it's funny how different tastes can make our perspectives on things. I see in the blurb how you kind of try to preemptively quell concerns about an eleven minute song because this one is really good, and when I made the thread that was the one I was most interested in just based on its length. Obviously being a huge fan of proggy stuff like Porcupine Tree would give me an inclination towards this, but I generally love long songs. Yeah, they can suck if the band doesn't know what they're doing, but in that case I'm probably not listening to the song anyway. Looking down the list of my favorite bands... QOTSA, Faith No More, Dillinger, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Massive Attack, Porcupine Tree, Them Crooked Vultures, Tool, picking out my favorite song, it's always one of that band's longest (usually seven+ minutes, five+ in the case of DEP and 18 minutes in the case of PT).

I'm not sure what it is. Maybe it's that those songs tend to be more cinematic, with the music having twists and turns in its direction and building to a climax, kind of a musical narrative of sorts. In some ways I think I just like it when the music has room to breathe.

I've never been able to pin down what makes me love a long song, but a pattern I think I've been noticing is there has to be some kind of established theme for me. Like some prog bands I've tried to get into just flow one section into another and they're all so dissimilar that to me it seems directionless (although it's probably just me not having a taste for that kind of stuff, which of course I could acquire at any time). It's not actively unenjoyable or anything, just not especially interesting. I like long songs that to an extent follow the verse chorus formula, but with all sorts of fluff in the middle or at the end. Most of Coheed's long songs are like that, and of course they're my favorite band. And the last track on this record is put together that way as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, xeph said:

I've never been able to pin down what makes me love a long song, but a pattern I think I've been noticing is there has to be some kind of established theme for me. Like some prog bands I've tried to get into just flow one section into another and they're all so dissimilar that to me it seems directionless (although it's probably just me not having a taste for that kind of stuff, which of course I could acquire at any time). It's not actively unenjoyable or anything, just not especially interesting. I like long songs that to an extent follow the verse chorus formula, but with all sorts of fluff in the middle or at the end. Most of Coheed's long songs are like that, and of course they're my favorite band. And the last track on this record is put together that way as well.

There's a bit of variety for me. Say, "Someone's in the Wolf" by QOTSA, the last song I proclaimed my favorite of all-time, that's kind of what you described, verse-chorus-verse-chorus (though even those are bigger and longer than your normal song), then a long stretch of atmospherics, then another chorus and crazy outro. Some others are ones that have lots of different sections (some of which feel disjointed, some more effectively building into each other). Some are just songs with a really long or epic outro. I think it's the climax thing that's the biggest common thread. Building to that grand crescendo, whether it's a grand outro or extended instrumental bridge, it's always thrilling to me. Or having a big ending, followed by a two minute plus unwinding denouement for the song--FNM's "King for a Day" is a pretty perfect example of that, with the instruments being stripped away as Patton whispers "Don't let me die with that silly look in my eyes" every four bars. That'll stick with me too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I just got done listening to this album, and true to Xeph's word, this is not a metalcore album. In fact, if I had to make a musical comparison, I'd say it more aligns with the likes of Thursday and latter-era Brand New, albeit a bit spacier.

There is screaming, but it's screaming the way I like it, mixed with copious amounts of clean vocal and used in an appropriate and effective fashion. These guys know what they're doing in the vocal department. Some songs, I would say the clean vocals take on an element of desperation, which really heightens the effect of the screaming when it comes in.

I also appreciate how, as you guys discussed above, they understand the appeal of a verse-chorus-verse pattern while still being able to indulge in more progressive noodling that doesn't detract from the song but creates interesting diversions and in some cases, epic rocking.

Off the bat, I'd say my favorites that I heard include "Connecting Hexes", "A Dialogue In Cataplexy", "Faceless Youth", "Panic And Pull Your Heart Out", and the last three songs. "Faceless Youth" is by far the most accessible song and probably the one I'd recommend most people dip their toes into to get a feel for their sound.

Anyways, thank you Xeph for not offering up a total disaster. This may actually find its way into my library.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, xeph said:

I've never been able to pin down what makes me love a long song, but a pattern I think I've been noticing is there has to be some kind of established theme for me. Like some prog bands I've tried to get into just flow one section into another and they're all so dissimilar that to me it seems directionless (although it's probably just me not having a taste for that kind of stuff, which of course I could acquire at any time). It's not actively unenjoyable or anything, just not especially interesting. I like long songs that to an extent follow the verse chorus formula, but with all sorts of fluff in the middle or at the end. Most of Coheed's long songs are like that, and of course they're my favorite band. And the last track on this record is put together that way as well.

I also prefer long songs that still adhere to a formula. Reading this discussion made me think of one of my favorite longer songs, Sinch's "The Silent Acquiescence Of Millions". I love it because it starts normally with the verse-chorus-verse bit and then it kind of tangents mid-song and starts developing something as a new chorus and takes you down a different path, so much so that when you finally get toward the end of the song and they bring back the initial chorus (in epic rocking fashion), it's a little unexpected, but in an enjoyable way. Love that song to bits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, pen said:

So I just got done listening to this album, and true to Xeph's word, this is not a metalcore album. In fact, if I had to make a musical comparison, I'd say it more aligns with the likes of Thursday and latter-era Brand New, albeit a bit spacier.

There is screaming, but it's screaming the way I like it, mixed with copious amounts of clean vocal and used in an appropriate and effective fashion. These guys know what they're doing in the vocal department. Some songs, I would say the clean vocals take on an element of desperation, which really heightens the effect of the screaming when it comes in.

I also appreciate how, as you guys discussed above, they understand the appeal of a verse-chorus-verse pattern while still being able to indulge in more progressive noodling that doesn't detract from the song but creates interesting diversions and in some cases, epic rocking.

Off the bat, I'd say my favorites that I heard include "Connecting Hexes", "A Dialogue In Cataplexy", "Faceless Youth", "Panic And Pull Your Heart Out", and the last three songs. "Faceless Youth" is by far the most accessible song and probably the one I'd recommend most people dip their toes into to get a feel for their sound.

Anyways, thank you Xeph for not offering up a total disaster. This may actually find its way into my library.

This is probably the best possible response that I could imagine coming from you about this record. It makes me sincerely happy to see that you liked it so much

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was an album that I've been meaning to check out since Night Verses was recommended to me by someone who I usually listen to when it comes to musical recommendations. I checked out a couple songs from their last album and then kind of forgot about them so it was nice to revisit them.

For me, this was a front heavy album. I really enjoyed the first few tracks - especially Connecting Hexes, that's the one that stood out to me most - but by the end of it I found that I wasn't listening to it intently as I had been at the beginning and the tracks blurred together. Still, out of the albums that I've listened to so far for this (I've been so bad at keeping up), this is probably the one that I enjoyed the most. The vocals were the most appealing to me. Definitely agree with Pen as the screaming being used in a great way,.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This album is quite impressive. There are a lot of influences out there. Album starts off aggressive, but it has some pleasant melodies and a few soft songs. This is better listened in the dark or on a gloomy/rainy day. Not a single bad song out there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the mixture of sound that this has. Some sound on it reminds me of Nine Inch Nails with an industrial kind of feel. Vocally, they remind me of a band like Finch. I liked the softer types of songs mixed in there too. I'll agree with the others while I'm not always big into screaming, it's used in a good manner.

I had to listen to this in different parts of the day today since I was at work, so I'm going to give this a straight listen through to really get a good opinion. I'll likely keep it for good since I enjoyed it pretty well. 

I'll give it a 7/10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually really like this for some reason.....it feels....episodic is the word for it? It feels like it's telling a story. I can't tell what the words are for a lot of parts on just one listen....but I enjoyed it. I'm a person that enjoys a little more music....but I love the emotion it brings. 

We've had a lot of arguments on what is a good amount of scream, as we've been on the heavier side for a lot of these weeks....but this one was perfect. I didn't write down song names as I listened, but all really solid additions to the album. I'm going to give it a 9/10 on quality of what I've listened to for the year. It probably won't be on my personal AOTY list because I don't know if I'll ever come back to this anytime soon. I'm looking for something that's catchy and I can sing along to....this isn't quite that, but I sure enjoyed the hell out of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah this is a real solid record.  I'd like to listen to it a few more times but I'll just contribute now that I was pleasantly surprised by the diversity in the sounds this band has.  Really love the opening and closing tracks, and also quite like the one-two of "Drift" and "A Dialogue in Cataplexy."

Hesitant to give it a strong rating super early but I'll give it an 8/10 for now with easy potential for a nine.  Very strong record and may make a late push on my AOTY list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really wanted to get into this album, but I'm not the biggest fan of the harsh vocals and the instrumentation is a bit boring at times. I liked "Faceless Youth" the most on first listen, which was disappointing because it's the most accessible track on here. Each song had spurts of greatness but overall it couldn't get over the threshold to become truly great. So while this isn't a bad album, I don't see it getting any more than a 6/10 from me. Hopefully when I listen again my opinion will improve, but the first listen was not the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2016 at 2:38 PM, Ruiner said:

I've given this a few spins and will have thoughts up later but what I need at the moment is for @pen to send me his selection. 

hey, you never posted your thoughts!

(may or may not have binged this album 5 or 6 times this week)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, xeph said:

hey, you never posted your thoughts!

(may or may not have binged this album 5 or 6 times this week)

Oh oops. I guess I need to take myself off the list... 

It's late Christmas Eve now but I'll grant you some discussion and opinions sooner rather than later. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.