Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

Nintendo Switch

14 posts in this topic

Overall I have mixed feelings about the Switch. I feel like playing a console on the go isn't as widespread as Sony and Nintendo make it out to be. When do you actually see someone playing a 3DS on the street or using a PS Vita out in public? Everyone is on their phones. I don't think people are going to give up valuable pocket space to carry an additional piece of electronics with them when they already have their phones. It is cool that you can play actual real console games anywhere as opposed to being stuck playing mobile junk on the go but I just have a bad taste in my mouth because this system seems mostly catered to the ADD generation that needs everything mobile and can't god forbid sit on the couch to watch or play something on a TV (which of course is the best way to view anything on a screen). I don't see people bringing this thing to the basketball court or any of the other preposterous stuff we saw in the trailer. 

It is imperative that this system can play all of the multi-platform games that are on PS4 and XB1 and because of this I think the Xbox-style controller shown in the video must be included with every console. If it does include a regular controller and is powerful enough to run third-party games then it will attract the core gamers and that mixed with Nintendo's top-notch exclusives will be a deadly combination and this will be a major threat to the other two consoles. The NX name was cool but I also like Switch and it suits this system and is the first good Nintendo console name since GameCube. I don't know if I'm going to buy this system. Outside of the boring summer months, there are always too many games to play and not enough time to play them all.

The detachable controllers are called "Joy-Con" controllers. Awful name. And Nintendo will sell an optional Pro Controller. If Skyrim is running on Switch, I imagine the default controller will be able to handle regular games which should bring in third-parties, regardless of the Pro controller. I don't really care about that anyways as XB1 is where I play all my multi-platform games. I was just suggested it would be wise to have the Pro controller included for business reasons but if third-parties are coming anyways, it doesn't matter as much. If I do decide to buy the Switch, I hope you can power on and off the system and do everything with the Pro controller. I don't want any nonsense like on Wii U where you need to have the GamePad on before you can use the Pro controller.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-reveal-trailer-and-all-the-new-det/1100-6444626/

I haven't bought a console since the Wii in 2006. Mostly because I just haven't had time to play once getting to the real world after college and I spend my rare free time watching hockey or shows on TV. However, this looks damn awesome. I really may have to consider getting this once more details come out.

So I just done watching this trailer and there are some things I really like about this, and not even just the console itself.

• I do love the concept. I think that a combination game console and handheld is a fantastic idea, and if you can swap from console to handheld without interrupting gameplay like the trailer suggests, then that's fantastic. Honestly, part of the reason I've been larger into mobile gaming of late is because I like to lie on my bed and play vs. sitting at my computer, and if this system allows that, then that's a major win in my book.
  • I also like that the controllers appear to be wireless and do not have to be connected to the system in handheld mode to operate, which is another huge win partially because the way people are using it makes me think of the control setup for VR, which makes me wonder if Nintendo might explore VR in the future. Certainly this helps set the stage for that. I also like the idea of being able to sit down and have the handheld mode be like a portable TV and use the controllers freely. That is something I didn't expect from this and that's a huge win to me.
  • I am slightly concerned about the battery life in handheld mode and whether that might affect the graphical quality of the console and vice-versa. The console at least appears to be backwards compatible with Wii U (and hopefully Wii), so that's a huge benefit right off the bat, but I'm wondering how newer games will be on the console and whether third-party companies will be able to easily port their games over. If it's comparable, then I'm wondering how the battery is handled, as I can imagine the battery being quickly drained.
  • I love how Nintendo seems to be marketing this. They're not highlighting this as being for children; rather they seem to be promoting this as being for people who want to be on the cutting edge. They're marketing it to all ages and seem to actually be putting more focus on older gamers, which is an interesting move. I also like that they acknowledge the existence of e-sports in the advertising and aligning themselves with them is a smart move as well. Mainly, Nintendo seems to be marketing this toward gamers. It sounds like a duh thing, but it means a lot in my opinion, especially considering how a lot of people tend to view Nintendo. This feels like the right move.

All in all, I'm digging it so far. They have my attention. Now I'm curious to see how they address my concerns, cause if they do this right, they could have a real winner on their hands, and I think Nintendo really needs a win right now.

6 hours ago, Mike said:

I don't see people bringing this thing to the basketball court or any of the other preposterous stuff we saw in the trailer. 

I don't think this is preposterous as I know people who have brought handheld systems around to various locations. Hell, I bought two of mine off of one.

Full backwards compatibility is not a for-sure thing, by the way.  The Switch is going to use cartridges, so any BC is gonna have be of the downloadable variety.

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

Full backwards compatibility is not a for-sure thing, by the way.  The Switch is going to use cartridges, so any BC is gonna have be of the downloadable variety.

Interesting. I'm wondering now if the games we saw in the trailer were new games then or new versions. Splatoon I recognized, so I assumed it meant backwards compatibility, but I see now that it is a cartridge-based console, so you're probably right about the downloading unless Nintendo plans to re-release some games on cartridge. I could see them doing that easily.

This is a sorta reboot for Nintendo. I don't want any old accessories to work with this console. It needs to be a fresh start not tied to the Wii brand and there's no need to make things confusing by having 20 different controller options. Most people didn't play Wii U so porting a lot of those games to Switch is a smart move as they're essentially new games for a lot of people.

Also, I'd love Nintendo to release a Skyward Sword remake down the line as it was a game that looked good (I played it briefly) but I couldn't get into it because of the Wii controls.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-nintendo-switch-dock-is-not-the-main-console/1100-6444680/

Nintendo has finally revealed its new console, the Nintendo Switch, and now we know more about it. The company has confirmed that the console's "main unit" is the device that has the LCD screen and detachabe Joy-Con controllers, not the docking station.

"The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch," a Nintendo representative told IGN. "The main unit of Nintendo Switch is the unit that has the LCD screen, which the two Joy-Con controllers can be attached to and detached from. The Nintendo Switch Dock has been created so that it is extremely easy to seamlessly switch from playing games on a TV to transition into a portable mode."

The principal function of the dock, then, is to output to the TV and charge and power the system.