Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

MLB Postseason 2016

265 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, xeph said:

Also insert complaint about how the all star game decides home field for the World Series is the dumbest fucking thing in the history of sports here

Yeah I have yet to ever hear anyone who agrees with this. Best record should be home field, not one game between all different players. 

On 10/22/2016 at 11:19 PM, Ruiner said:

Oh boy. I've been passively waiting for this since I was like 7 years old. This is gonna be awesome. 

Hey LeBron, I thought you were a fan of another team?

22 hours ago, xeph said:

Also insert complaint about how the all star game decides home field for the World Series is the dumbest fucking thing in the history of sports here

The baseball ASG is the best ASG in sports, partly because it's the only ASG where it's actually played like a real game. I think another part of the reason why it's so good is because of the home field thing. It makes it meaningful. I like it the way it is.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

Hey LeBron, I thought you were a fan of another team?

I can be a fan of more than one team. The Mariners are my main, home guys, but the Cubs were my favorite team when I was young. Sammy Sosa was little league me's hero. I used to dream about the day they finally won the World Series, and was pretty bitter (as dipshit kids are wont to do) when the Red Sox broke their curse first. Thankfully, they're in the opposite league of Seattle so I rarely have a conflict of interests (if they were to face off, I'd favor Seattle).

But point being, there's a special place in my heart for the Cubs and for this particular World Series. Not like all the fans who've put in the thousands of hours watching their team eat shit, or even the ones who've spent dozens of hours watching this season. You have to earn that, which I'm frankly not willing to do because more often than not watching a full game of any sport feels like a waste of time to me. But I'm excited.

20 minutes ago, Mike said:

The baseball ASG is the best ASG in sports, partly because it's the only ASG where it's actually played like a real game. I think another part of the reason why it's so good is because of the home field thing. It makes it meaningful. I like it the way it is.

The Cubs won 9 more games than the Indians. The fact they don't get home field because a couple of guys on the Kansas City Royals hit home runs against a guy on the San Francisco Giants is objectively the dumbest shit in the world

18 minutes ago, xeph said:

The Cubs won 9 more games than the Indians. The fact they don't get home field because a couple of guys on the Kansas City Royals hit home runs against a guy on the San Francisco Giants is objectively the dumbest shit in the world

We'll just have to make sure the series doesn't go past five games then. B)

8 hours ago, Ruiner said:

We'll just have to make sure the series doesn't go past five games then. B)

That's the one thing that sucks about the Cubs not having home field. They have to win in 5 to win at home. Game 6 against the Dodgers was possibly the most intense I've ever seen a crowd at a baseball game in my life. I had work early Sunday and wanted to go to bed but I forced myself to stay up for an extra few minutes to see the reaction their win got at the end of the game. I'd love to see the reaction live from the fans in the stadium if they win. Unfortunately the Red Sox also won their 2004 on the road as well.

On 10/22/2016 at 11:41 PM, chicago_animal said:

I want to be in that sea of thousands Just on the streets.

So do the people who stand in the streets actually watch the game? I know sometimes there's a big TV set up outside the stadium and obviously bars show the games but you always see a mob of people in the streets after a team wins a championship. Are they in the street before it ends and miss the game or do they all leave their houses after it ends? I didn't give a shit about the Red Sox third championship and I don't even remember if I watched it but I have fond memories of their second and especially their first which feels like it happened yesterday and I remember watching it at home so I could actually see the game, the celebration on the field, the celebration in the clubhouse, trophy presentations and all that. You miss all that if you choose to be huddled up with a bunch of sweaty, smelly strangers.

I'm picking the Cubs to win it but like I said after the ALDS, I'm rooting for the Indians because of Francona. I have no problem with the Cubs winning, though.

Based on their deplorable actions against poor Steve Bartman (and those fans totally deserving another decade and a half of failure) I have a feeling if the Indians win, the Cubs fans are gonna be assholes to the Indians and bitch a lot about it on social media. I hope this doesn't happen as I feel like the Indians are even more of a feel-good story than the Cubs. Their payroll is over $70 million less and few living people have actually seen them win a World Series so it's not like they've had a bunch of success either. 

14 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'm picking the Cubs to win it but like I said after the ALDS, I'm rooting for the Indians because of Francona. I have no problem with the Cubs winning, though.

Based on their deplorable actions against poor Steve Bartman (and those fans totally deserving another decade and a half of failure) I have a feeling if the Indians win, the Cubs fans are gonna be assholes to the Indians and bitch a lot about it on social media. I hope this doesn't happen as I feel like the Indians are even more of a feel-good story than the Cubs. Their payroll is over $70 million less and few living people have actually seen them win a World Series so it's not like they've had a bunch of success either. 

First off the whole Bartman thing was an over reaction in the moment. No one blamed him that long after they cooled down and if they still did they are idiots. 

What wrong with being upset about your team losing and complaining? It happens when any team loses. 

There is NO ONE alive when the Cubs last won a World Series and not a huge group alive the last time they were in the World series last. 

Also how is the Indians a more feel good story? You think they were still packing in fans when they were losing? Cubs were still filling in Wrigley Field when they were under .500

30 minutes ago, Mike said:

That's the one thing that sucks about the Cubs not having home field. They have to win in 5 to win at home. Game 6 against the Dodgers was possibly the most intense I've ever seen a crowd at a baseball game in my life. I had work early Sunday and wanted to go to bed but I forced myself to stay up for an extra few minutes to see the reaction their win got at the end of the game. I'd love to see the reaction live from the fans in the stadium if they win. Unfortunately the Red Sox also won their 2004 on the road as well.

So do the people who stand in the streets actually watch the game? 

Alot of people are in the block of bars around Wrigley watching till it's over. People gather around the Stadium while it's being played have to listen to the radio. They are adding a new huge screen to go out there though so you can see it outside. 

7 minutes ago, chicago_animal said:

People gather around the Stadium while it's being played have to listen to the radio.

So they'd prefer to miss the game just so they can be there first for the drunken festivities when it's over? That's dumb.

11 minutes ago, chicago_animal said:

First off the whole Bartman thing was an over reaction in the moment. No one blamed him that long after they cooled down and if they still did they are idiots. 

People blamed him for years and years. They only "forgive" him now because they are the best team in baseball and everyone knows a World Series win is going to happen eventually. The poor guy had to disappear off the face of the Earth and if he didn't he probably would've been assassinated. That jackass Moises Alou is partly to blame because he started it all with his reaction to the situation but the fans were to blame as well. In '86 the Red Sox fans drove Bill Buckner and his family out of town and those idiot fans didn't deserve a World Series. I'm incredibly proud of the fact that on the home opener in 2004, the Red Sox fans gave Tim Wakefield a standing ovation in support of him after he gave up the ALCS-ending homer to Aaron Boone in 2003. We deserved that championship.

16 minutes ago, chicago_animal said:

There is NO ONE alive when the Cubs last won a World Series and not a huge group alive the last time they were in the World series last. 

Also how is the Indians a more feel good story? You think they were still packing in fans when they were losing? Cubs were still filling in Wrigley Field when they were under .500

Anyone alive to have remembered the Indians last winning the World Series would've had to have been born before World War II. Don't act like there are a lot of them. 100 years since a championship or 70 years since a championship, it doesn't matter. Both fanbases are in the same exact boat. And I'll definitely admit that the Cubs have way better fans but the Indians winning is more of a feel-good moment for the TEAM (and not the fans) because the payroll is a lot smaller. There are no guys making $21 million on the Indians bench.

Yeah there were fans who blamed him for years but there are stupid people all over the world. Shouldn't associate them with the mom idiots. 

I agree it's stupid to stand outside the ballpark like that. The only thing I can see is if people are watching the game on monitors from the pre and post shows which set up outside. 

The same amount of people alive to see the Indians win it are the same amount of people Alive who saw the Cubs just be in it. People alive are either 68/69 years old. That's still considered not THAT old these days. 

The World Series being in the AL for four games benefits the Cubs a bit too because they get Schwarber at DH. I'd just stick him in there ready or not. He's already playing in minor league games now and he's probably better than anyone else they have on the bench at this point.

25 minutes ago, Mike said:

The World Series being in the AL for four games benefits the Cubs a bit too because they get Schwarber at DH. I'd just stick him in there ready or not. He's already playing in minor league games now and he's probably better than anyone else they have on the bench at this point.

Yeah the DH rule will definitely benefit the Cubs. 

Average seat price :

Game 1: (In Cleveland): $1,156
Game 2: (In Cleveland): $1,122
Game 3: (In Chicago): $3,372
Game 4: (In Chicago): $4,018
Game 5: (In Chicago): $4,451
Game 6: (In Cleveland): $1,356
Game 7: (In Cleveland): $1,681