Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chicago_animal

Relationship Status?

101 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, jman3000 said:

TL used to have hundreds of people contributing, but once TL changed to Rock Access and subsequently just the forum site

TL never became Rock Access. When Chris Smith who used to run the site with Jay left, he started Rock Access. It wasn't tied to TL in any way (despite the site looking nearly identical). I think Chris might have come back here eventually. I don't really remember exactly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mike said:

TL never became Rock Access. When Chris Smith who used to run the site with Jay left, he started Rock Access. It wasn't tied to TL in any way (despite the site looking nearly identical). I think Chris might have come back here eventually. I don't really remember exactly.

Chris came back here a few times. When the sites divided, I actually checked Rock Access for the news almost every day for a while because TL directed people to Rock Access if they were interested in the same format of rock news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jman3000 said:

I think that the lack of a main site directing people here is why we're not getting more people. 

I'm not so sure about that. For example, Nixon recently advertised this place on his FB page, I assume to thousands of different people all at once. He cautioned us of potentially a bunch of new users. I don't think we saw even 1 during that? I think the interest in rock has just gone down so much that it's tough to show "why" to come here if you aren't already an active user. It's just my guess - I wasn't even around before 2011 or so, so I never saw this place in the glory days so I can't really speak on that time period. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lucas said:

So pen, what's your favorite game series for AH? I have been so happy they brought back 7 Days to Die recently and can't wait to see what happens in the next few. I also have enjoyed the shit out of Dead by Daylight. I'm behind on Off Topic by about a video and a half though and need to get on that.

Oh god, so many gems to choose from. I love everything they do in Minecraft (even Creeper Soccer if only for how bad it was) and almost everything in GTA, 7 Days To Die is good, Worms, all the trivia games, Cloudberry, Worms, the Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes videos (I rewatched yesterday and I wish they'd bring it back), Gmod, Dead By Daylight, and did I mention Worms? I'm not sure if I mentioned Worms.

I really enjoy the Let's Watch series that they do because they pick really great games for that show. Wish they'd go back and play more Witness so Ryan can get angry at everyone backseat driving him again. Kind of wish Go and Vs. were weekly again instead of becoming infrequent but I can't really argue with it since the amount of content has only increased over time, so if doing more Gos and Vs. prevent them from doing more Let's Watches, I'm fine with the current arrangement.

What's your opinion on the hosts? I can't believe how much hate the newer ones get, Jeremy especially as Ray's replacement but I guess the hate is dying down some. But man, any time Lindsay or Mica (or really anyone female) enters or Matt, the Youtube comments are atrocious. I'm really glad that Achievement Hunter chooses not to give a fuck.

I have not watched the Off Topic videos (or AHWU for that matter) cause I tend to avoid the non-game related ones. How are those and what's it all about? And have you watched any of the Heroes And Halfwits videos? Are those any good?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jman3000 said:

TL used to have hundreds of people contributing

As an elder statesman on this forum, I feel comfortable in saying we have never, ever, had hundreds of people contributing. I'm not even sure we've ever had a hundred.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, pen said:

As an elder statesman on this forum, I feel comfortable in saying we have never, ever, had hundreds of people contributing. I'm not even sure we've ever had a hundred.

It just felt like hundreds because of how active the core group was. 

The forum has always had the same somewhat the same amount of people it's just that we have been losing some longtime members and there haven't been many new people to replace them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Omar said:

It just felt like hundreds because of how active the core group was. 

The forum has always had the same somewhat the same amount of people it's just that we have been losing some longtime members and there haven't been many new people to replace them. 

This I'll agree with. There are lots of names that haven't floated around here for quite some time. Remember when there used to be women on this board? It's not just a myth, I swear!

But yeah, new people do not tend to show up around here and I figure that's because this place doesn't really have a hook. You can say what you want about rock music but I'm not sure how many people just happen to stumble across a random forum on the internet, even with a Google search.

And even if they do find us, this crowd can be somewhat... abrasive. It takes a certain type to hang with us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pen said:

1. Oh god, so many gems to choose from. I love everything they do in Minecraft (even Creeper Soccer if only for how bad it was) and almost everything in GTA, 7 Days To Die is good, Worms, all the trivia games, Cloudberry, Worms, the Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes videos (I rewatched yesterday and I wish they'd bring it back), Gmod, Dead By Daylight, and did I mention Worms? I'm not sure if I mentioned Worms.

2. I really enjoy the Let's Watch series that they do because they pick really great games for that show. Wish they'd go back and play more Witness so Ryan can get angry at everyone backseat driving him again. Kind of wish Go and Vs. were weekly again instead of becoming infrequent but I can't really argue with it since the amount of content has only increased over time, so if doing more Gos and Vs. prevent them from doing more Let's Watches, I'm fine with the current arrangement.

3. What's your opinion on the hosts? I can't believe how much hate the newer ones get, Jeremy especially as Ray's replacement but I guess the hate is dying down some. But man, any time Lindsay or Mica (or really anyone female) enters or Matt, the Youtube comments are atrocious. I'm really glad that Achievement Hunter chooses not to give a fuck.

4. I have not watched the Off Topic videos (or AHWU for that matter) cause I tend to avoid the non-game related ones. How are those and what's it all about? And have you watched any of the Heroes And Halfwits videos? Are those any good?

1. Yes! Minecraft is really what kind of turned me onto these guys actually (a friend and co-worker ~4 years ago turned me onto them initially w/ that and GTA videos). Creeper Soccer X was fantastic! Ryan's auctioneer voice had me in stitches. Looking forward to them finishing up Dark Monopoly over the next few weeks/months, lol. I like all the videos you mentioned as well. Some of my favorite moments definitely have come from the trivia games ("WOW NUMBER SEVEN, WAY TO GO CHAMP!" - Ray to Gavin in Family Feud Part 1, is way up there). GTA V is definitely fun to watch and got me to actually buy the game for my X1, though I sadly haven't had time to get into it yet. Cloudberry is hilarious, I didn't think I'd like them until it turned into more of a podcast almost for AH more than a gameplay video almost, which is why I LOVE Off Topic, because it's basically that, but just them on camera. I think you'd enjoy it.

2. Definitely need more Witness, I almost forgot about that one! And of course the scary games that Geoff plays is always funny (backing into a 'scary room' in Layers of Fear much). Recently, I have enjoyed the heck out of Worms WMD Let's Watch videos for the campaign stuff. That game looks like fun, though their multiplayer versions are always a classic and a favorite for sure. How can Gav screw it up this time?! :lol: I will say Let's Watch is the series I'm most behind in, but do want to catch a lot of, but they just seem like longer videos obviously since multiple parts. Uncharted 4 was one that really kept me engaged and I enjoyed watching Michael play through. Yeah, I'm okay w/ the infrequency of Go and Versus for the same reasons as you said, but as long as they still show up every couple weeks; I'd be sad if they did go away completely, though.

3. Dude, I like all the hosts and don't get the hate either. I absolutely love Jeremy and he grew on me fast from the get-go. Of course I miss Ray, but I'm not trying to compare them. He's a different personality altogether and Ray was hating his job near the end there and wasn't really that funny except for his being bored (which was more real than we realized then I think). Jeremy tried a little too hard at first maybe, but he's grown into his own personality with the content. Matt is not great on camera really, but he can be funny and entertaining in gameplays; he does still try a little hard to be funny, but it's all good. Mica's pretty cool, she's just young and spunky is all and just trying to find her place in life and in the company, which she seems to have done w/ the stream team now. And an underrated guy IMO is Trevor! I'd love to see MORE of him in AH stuff; dude is just naturally funny and love his sarcasm bits. The recent GTA V video he was in with Gavin and everyone arguing over the song he was singing at the start had me nearly in tears.

4. As mentioned above on #1, I think you'd enjoy Off Topic. It's just a few hours or so of them just shooting the shit podcast style over whatever and there's mostly funny content on it throughout. Just discussing life stuff, movies, TV, food, flying, or whatever else. You can jump in at anytime on them as well. Definitely give one a shot sometime. I haven't watched H&H, since I don't care much for the D&D stuff so I probably won't get into it, but I know the plan is 20 episodes through the end of October and then they'll take a break in January so if I get bored between now and then I may give it a go just to see if I enjoy it. I didn't think I'd like the last two Minecraft Pixelmon videos because it's Pokemon in Minecraft and I'm not huge on Pokemon, but I binged both episodes Sunday night because I enjoyed it so much. AHWU is just a weekly gaming news update with upcoming game news, AH news, community news, art of the week segments, etc. along with silly shenanigans in the background. It's funny to just kill a few minutes every week.

Do you watch any other RT content like On the Spot, Immersion, etc.? On the Spot didn't stick w/ me at first, but I kept watching and have seen all the episodes now and there's some pretty funny stuff that occurs in those. Some episodes are better than others, but I never hated an episode or anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pen said:

As an elder statesman on this forum, I feel comfortable in saying we have never, ever, had hundreds of people contributing. I'm not even sure we've ever had a hundred.

+1 we maybe have had 100 members total that actually made more than 10 posts is my guess. I do hate how my thing says I joined in 2012 but I've been here since AA around 2005 or something. We maybe had hundred posts per day at most in the heyday. I think people are just less accessible to get on the site during the day and/or work schedules keep it where folks are on at different times of the day here. I can still get on nowadays at work fortunately, but some days are just too damn busy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can remember when main page comments had a lot of different commenters, but I don't think it ever really translated into more board users. They always seemed very distinctly separate. I sometimes wish I had used different software so they were better directly integrated like a few other sites were — where the comments thread actually was the message board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want to point out to @Mike that I am still around haha. I haven't posted in the Gaming thread in a while because I haven't had anything really come out that I care about. I did just build myself a super sweet new gaming PC. 

To contribute to the thread: I am married, going on two years now. I think I posted a video of me proposing to my wife on here at one point. No kids yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TaNbULL said:

I just want to point out to @Mike that I am still around haha. I haven't posted in the Gaming thread in a while because I haven't had anything really come out that I care about. I did just build myself a super sweet new gaming PC. 

To contribute to the thread: I am married, going on two years now. I think I posted a video of me proposing to my wife on here at one point. No kids yet. 

I remember that video!

Dude, what kind of specs are on gaming PCs these days? What's your parts list look like?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TaNbULL said:

I just want to point out to @Mike that I am still around haha. I haven't posted in the Gaming thread in a while because I haven't had anything really come out that I care about. I did just build myself a super sweet new gaming PC. 

To contribute to the thread: I am married, going on two years now. I think I posted a video of me proposing to my wife on here at one point. No kids yet. 

You did - on stage with Brent from Shinedown, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I remember that video!

Dude, what kind of specs are on gaming PCs these days? What's your parts list look like?

CPU: i7 6700k at 4.0GHz

Memory: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz

Video Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 

Case: NZXT H440

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate

Mouse: Razer Mamba Tournament Edition

I can't remember what my motherboard is off the top of my head. It's a Gigabyte something. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TaNbULL said:

CPU: i7 6700k at 4.0GHz

Memory: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz

Video Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 

Case: NZXT H440

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate

Mouse: Razer Mamba Tournament Edition

I can't remember what my motherboard is off the top of my head. It's a Gigabyte something. 

 

Dayum! You went all out for that beast. Top of the line almost everything it looks like. Use Newegg? Is that still the go-to for computer parts? It's been a minute and I don't keep up near as much since the last PC I built was like in 2010. I miss that stuff, searching for the best deals for the specs and such. I don't have time or money to devote to gaming and such on PC anymore, but wish I did! Most things I ever play (on a computer) is Minecraft on my MBP w/ an i5 and integrated graphics card lol. How's the 980 holding up to anything? Oh and that's a sexy ass case you chose; very nice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lucas said:

Dayum! You went all out for that beast. Top of the line almost everything it looks like. Use Newegg? Is that still the go-to for computer parts? It's been a minute and I don't keep up near as much since the last PC I built was like in 2010. I miss that stuff, searching for the best deals for the specs and such. I don't have time or money to devote to gaming and such on PC anymore, but wish I did! Most things I ever play (on a computer) is Minecraft on my MBP w/ an i5 and integrated graphics card lol. How's the 980 holding up to anything? Oh and that's a sexy ass case you chose; very nice!

The 980 is actually the only downside. It runs everything I play on highest quality at 1080P right now, but pretty soon it won't. 

Yeah, I decided to go all out. It was a deal my wife made with me. I get to build the most futureproof PC I could and then try to have a kid soon. 

Also, yeah I love that case. I have pictures of what mine looks like after I built it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TaNbULL said:

The 980 is actually the only downside. It runs everything I play on highest quality at 1080P right now, but pretty soon it won't. 

Yeah, I decided to go all out. It was a deal my wife made with me. I get to build the most futureproof PC I could and then try to have a kid soon. 

Also, yeah I love that case. I have pictures of what mine looks like after I built it. 

Oh yeah. Well gfx cards are always gonna be the downside first anyways, so enjoy what you've got. I'm sure it'll be fine for a bit. I know the GTX 1080 just came out a few months back or so and is the latest and greatest, but for another couple hundred, so I think you will be good! Sounds like a good deal you made, just remember with new kid means less game time lol. Get the most out of it while you can! ;)

Post 'em up if you don't mind sharing! Would love to see a completed version w/ the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2016 at 6:57 PM, Lucas said:

1. Yes! Minecraft is really what kind of turned me onto these guys actually (a friend and co-worker ~4 years ago turned me onto them initially w/ that and GTA videos). Creeper Soccer X was fantastic! Ryan's auctioneer voice had me in stitches. Looking forward to them finishing up Dark Monopoly over the next few weeks/months, lol. I like all the videos you mentioned as well. Some of my favorite moments definitely have come from the trivia games ("WOW NUMBER SEVEN, WAY TO GO CHAMP!" - Ray to Gavin in Family Feud Part 1, is way up there). GTA V is definitely fun to watch and got me to actually buy the game for my X1, though I sadly haven't had time to get into it yet. Cloudberry is hilarious, I didn't think I'd like them until it turned into more of a podcast almost for AH more than a gameplay video almost, which is why I LOVE Off Topic, because it's basically that, but just them on camera. I think you'd enjoy it.

2. Definitely need more Witness, I almost forgot about that one! And of course the scary games that Geoff plays is always funny (backing into a 'scary room' in Layers of Fear much). Recently, I have enjoyed the heck out of Worms WMD Let's Watch videos for the campaign stuff. That game looks like fun, though their multiplayer versions are always a classic and a favorite for sure. How can Gav screw it up this time?! :lol: I will say Let's Watch is the series I'm most behind in, but do want to catch a lot of, but they just seem like longer videos obviously since multiple parts. Uncharted 4 was one that really kept me engaged and I enjoyed watching Michael play through. Yeah, I'm okay w/ the infrequency of Go and Versus for the same reasons as you said, but as long as they still show up every couple weeks; I'd be sad if they did go away completely, though.

3. Dude, I like all the hosts and don't get the hate either. I absolutely love Jeremy and he grew on me fast from the get-go. Of course I miss Ray, but I'm not trying to compare them. He's a different personality altogether and Ray was hating his job near the end there and wasn't really that funny except for his being bored (which was more real than we realized then I think). Jeremy tried a little too hard at first maybe, but he's grown into his own personality with the content. Matt is not great on camera really, but he can be funny and entertaining in gameplays; he does still try a little hard to be funny, but it's all good. Mica's pretty cool, she's just young and spunky is all and just trying to find her place in life and in the company, which she seems to have done w/ the stream team now. And an underrated guy IMO is Trevor! I'd love to see MORE of him in AH stuff; dude is just naturally funny and love his sarcasm bits. The recent GTA V video he was in with Gavin and everyone arguing over the song he was singing at the start had me nearly in tears.

4. As mentioned above on #1, I think you'd enjoy Off Topic. It's just a few hours or so of them just shooting the shit podcast style over whatever and there's mostly funny content on it throughout. Just discussing life stuff, movies, TV, food, flying, or whatever else. You can jump in at anytime on them as well. Definitely give one a shot sometime. I haven't watched H&H, since I don't care much for the D&D stuff so I probably won't get into it, but I know the plan is 20 episodes through the end of October and then they'll take a break in January so if I get bored between now and then I may give it a go just to see if I enjoy it. I didn't think I'd like the last two Minecraft Pixelmon videos because it's Pokemon in Minecraft and I'm not huge on Pokemon, but I binged both episodes Sunday night because I enjoyed it so much. AHWU is just a weekly gaming news update with upcoming game news, AH news, community news, art of the week segments, etc. along with silly shenanigans in the background. It's funny to just kill a few minutes every week.

Do you watch any other RT content like On the Spot, Immersion, etc.? On the Spot didn't stick w/ me at first, but I kept watching and have seen all the episodes now and there's some pretty funny stuff that occurs in those. Some episodes are better than others, but I never hated an episode or anything.

Held off on responding to this until I could sit with it and dissect it.

1. Rage Quit actually is what introduced me to the site but Minecraft is the first Let's Play series of theirs that I really sat and watched. Of course when I was done, I went back and watched everything else (for the most part, there's still some older stuff I haven't gotten around to watching). Minecraft, Trivia, Worms, these videos I can watch over and over, and I have. Family Feud is great but my favorite "Trivia" episodes have to be Life (because of how agitated Ryan gets through the whole video) and any of the Fibbage or Drawful episodes, just cause of how awful they all are, both at guessing and the answers they give. I love that Gavin gave answers in Fibbage that had to be censored by pictures of him because they were obviously inappropriate. On a similar note, I love that the editing team is playing around with camera angles more. That Minecraft episode, I think it was Achievelantis, where they're spotting things and Gavin's like "Hey, there's a tree!" and they spun the camera angle while zooming in on the tree as he said it; made that so much funnier than it should have been.

2. I love it when Geoff plays scary games. "I'm feeling really bored right now, guys!" I will say though that Michael and Gavin playing the Freddy games is awesome just because of how freaked Gavin got during the first game and then you go to the fourth and he has no reaction. I really like Let's Watch just because it's definitely gotten me interested in a bunch of games I was on the fence on before, like Layers Of Fear and now Re-Core, which apparently every reviewer was shitting on but I watched them play an hour of it and it seems like a hell of a lot of fun and it sounded like they really enjoyed it too. I did not watch their Uncharted 4 run yet just cause I wasn't sure if I wanted it spoiled for me, but I'm probably never going to play it firsthand so I guess I might as well watch it. There are a couple of Let's Watches that I've avoided for that reason though, like their Telltale Batman watch I'm avoiding. I also avoided the Story Mode episode of Minecraft for that reason too, which by the way is another thing I hope they come back to, but probably not.

3. I like all the hosts but I do agree that some are better than others. Personally I'm not a huge fan of Trevor, but I see him the same way as Matt or Mica, as being better when they're bouncing off the core group. I will admit that I tend to avoid videos where there are no core members or maybe only one or two but that happens only rarely. I will agree though that the GTA V video you're talking about was hilarious just because everyone kept swearing the Madonna song was Evanescence and Gavin was getting so agitated. I also agree that Ray leaving was for the best as he really came to be known for being the bored member or being the guy who sleeps, neither of which are great things to be known for. Ray had his time and he had his moments, but I totally feel Jeremy is an above average replacement, especially now that he's been doing those fake website puns, which are amazing.

4. Maybe I'll go through Off-Topic. I kind of avoided it because there was no gaming involved and while I do enjoy when their videos become more podcastey, I still like a core game surrounding the madness. Maybe I'll watch a couple episodes and see how I like it. Same with H&H. I did like the one Magic The Gathering video they did, so I dunno, I might give it a spin.

As for non-Achievement Hunter content, no, I haven't really ventured out into plain Rooster Teeth stuff, although some of it interests me from the bits I've heard about in Achievement Hunter videos. What specifically do you recommend?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The RT Podcast is the most essential thing they do, in my opinion.  The core cast of Gus, Gavin, Barb, Burnie (and Gus) has some of the funniest interaction of any podcast I've listened to.

Social Disorder is also incredibly funny and Million Dollars But... is generally a breezy, enjoyable watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2016 at 2:37 PM, pen said:

As an elder statesman on this forum, I feel comfortable in saying we have never, ever, had hundreds of people contributing. I'm not even sure we've ever had a hundred.

As an elder statesman myself, since Audio Aggression, I can definitely say that the main TL music news site, maybe not this forum page, had hundreds of contributors and hundreds of members (Jay could probably attest to this). I remember, the time period when Jay wasn't running it completely and there was a graph of the traffic to the site. I'd hope you remember the days when there were album reviews and TL unsigned bands that had their music streaming on the site. This was from the time period of about 2006-2010. Then when the main site as it was known changed to Rock Access, members were confused what happened, including me. Luckily I found the forum, but not many others from the main music news site did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2016 at 4:35 PM, Vigo said:

I can remember when main page comments had a lot of different commenters, but I don't think it ever really translated into more board users. They always seemed very distinctly separate. I sometimes wish I had used different software so they were better directly integrated like a few other sites were — where the comments thread actually was the message board.

Yep, the members of TL (commenters including me) didn't know about the forum as much it seems. I certainly didn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2016 at 0:54 PM, Koldes said:

I'm not so sure about that. For example, Nixon recently advertised this place on his FB page, I assume to thousands of different people all at once. He cautioned us of potentially a bunch of new users. I don't think we saw even 1 during that? I think the interest in rock has just gone down so much that it's tough to show "why" to come here if you aren't already an active user. It's just my guess - I wasn't even around before 2011 or so, so I never saw this place in the glory days so I can't really speak on that time period. 

This doesn't surprise me. Unless you type in the name of the site into Google, it doesn't come up if you are looking for "rock" websites. No offense to Nixon, but I don't see how him advertising the forum on his FB could lead to a ton of new people, maybe just some who checked in and that's about it. Too bad you didn't know about the site until after those days. I miss the main news site, but it seems like that form of news is becoming more and more archaic due to the multiple type of media out these days. Maybe a Youtube channel would help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2016 at 3:01 PM, pen said:

This I'll agree with. There are lots of names that haven't floated around here for quite some time. Remember when there used to be women on this board? It's not just a myth, I swear!

But yeah, new people do not tend to show up around here and I figure that's because this place doesn't really have a hook. You can say what you want about rock music but I'm not sure how many people just happen to stumble across a random forum on the internet, even with a Google search.

And even if they do find us, this crowd can be somewhat... abrasive. It takes a certain type to hang with us.

Ahem, I still have tits and a vaginal last I checked. I've been around long enough to remember the AA days also. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.