101 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, pen said:

What a load of bullshit.

How so?

24 minutes ago, Dylan said:

1. we don't play any of the same games

2. I'm not going to judge anybody for having shit else to do

3. The only one who I'd say feels like a cameo is Nixon

1. Rainbow Six Siege was free on Xbox for the weekend a while back. I played it for about ten minutes and then swiftly deleted it. I feel like we hover around the same genre of games but we don't end up playing the same stuff too often.

2. I've long said that if someone doesn't want to be here then that's fine and I'm not going to hold it against them. But I strongly believe that the vast majority of people that are too "busy" with their real lives to be here still find time to be on their phones and on Facebook 100 times a day. So if they don't want to be here cause they don't want to talk to us that's fine but I don't buy that most are too busy to be here...unless they have kids which is life consuming and I understand why they don't have a second of free time.

3. You'd think that when he was traveling the world he would've been more busy but I guess he had more time on the bus or whatever which is why he posted more when he was still touring.

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

How so?

Combination of there being just as much activity on the forum as there's always been, the "lapsed gamer" comment, and the fact that you consider yourself a showrunner when... how many threads have you started this year that weren't wrestling related? And you're complaining about a lack of activity?

5 minutes ago, pen said:

1. Combination of there being just as much activity on the forum as there's always been

2. the "lapsed gamer" comment

3. and the fact that you consider yourself a showrunner when... how many threads have you started this year that weren't wrestling related? And you're complaining about a lack of activity?

1. My activity feed shows everything except music threads and over the past week there have only been 12 threads with activity. That seems way lower than usual.

2. Well c'mon now, you wrote a book in that mobile thread about the dumb cell phone games you play. When was the last time you played a real video game?

3. A person doesn't have to start threads to generate discussion.

12 minutes ago, pen said:

Probably Green Baron.

Ah, touche. But how often is he around even? I see him in the music threads every once in a while.

11 minutes ago, pen said:

I'm not real sure what you mean by this, but I'm pretty sure the conversation about your drug life qualifies as a strong topic.

Granted, but I did say "I can't remember". But I had to go to quite a length to get that conversation, I provided a particularly gossipy topic that everyone had an opinion on. I remember when we used to have strong conversations about video games and TV shows.

2 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I remember when we used to have strong conversations about video games and TV shows.

We all play different games and we all watch different shows.

You guys are talking about shows I don't watch and don't give myself the time to watch. I pop in when it comes to Game Of Thrones and I'll definitely pop in when season 3 of The Leftovers comes around. When Luke Cage comes out at the end of the month, I'll definitely be up for talking about that.

As for games, I only have my PC and my phone and I'm not up to date because I can't afford the newest games, so you'll either see me chime in on a game potentially a year and a half later than anyone else or it'll be something cheaper and more obscure that most people here probably haven't played.

And hey, I tried to stimulate discussion with my mobile thread but I guess no one else here really plays mobile games. Hell, I didn't either until the last couple months and I've been incredibly surprised at the great content to be found there.

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

A person doesn't have to start threads to generate discussion.

Unless there are things you've been trying to talk to people about and been getting nowhere, then I'd say starting threads is the number one way to open up dialogue with people about the things you want to talk about.

1 minute ago, pen said:

When's the last time you weren't a prick?

Ah this is great. I feel like I've been too nice lately. I'm getting soft in my old age. I take some responsibility for the forums lack of activity because I haven't ruffled enough feathers. So here goes. Mike vs. Pen video game discussion argument #671. I'm going to bed so I will await your response and reply if needed in the morning.

Just because some people share in an activity it does not mean they are the same thing. There are college kids wearing pink Red Sox hats going to Fenway Park to take selfies and drink beer. Just because they're at the ballpark it doesn't mean they're baseball fans. I feel the same way about video games. If one person is playing Uncharted 4 and another person playing the Kim Kardashian mobile game, I don't view both of those people as gamers. Uncharted 4 is a real game and I view the person playing that as a real gamer. I don't think the person playing the Kim Kardashian game is a real gamer. For the most part, it seems to me like mobile games are simple, lack depth and are just rubbish aimed at appealing to as casual an audience as possible. I'm sure there are exceptions but I've browsed both big app stores and there's not much on there that looks good to me. I've tried numerous mobile games and nothing can hold my interest at all. It's an inferior form of video games for non-gamers to play while they're taking a break from Facebook.

I don't mean to come off like a jerk. I understand your financial situation and it's tough to be able to buy all the latest and greatest games and consoles. Not everyone is living at home rent free like me. But I just feel like someone mostly playing on mobile and buying games for a penny on Steam three years after the game is done being relevant doesn't strike me as a modern gamer equipped to discuss current events in video games.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Ah this is great. I feel like I've been too nice lately. I'm getting soft in my old age. I take some responsibility for the forums lack of activity because I haven't ruffled enough feathers. So here goes. Mike vs. Pen video game discussion argument #671. I'm going to bed so I will await your response and reply if needed in the morning.

Just because some people share in an activity it does not mean they are the same thing. There are college kids wearing pink Red Sox hats going to Fenway Park to take selfies and drink beer. Just because they're at the ballpark it doesn't mean they're baseball fans. I feel the same way about video games. If one person is playing Uncharted 4 and another person playing the Kim Kardashian mobile game, I don't view both of those people as gamers. Uncharted 4 is a real game and I view the person playing that as a real gamer. I don't think the person playing the Kim Kardashian game is a real gamer. For the most part, it seems to me like mobile games are simple, lack depth and are just rubbish aimed at appealing to as casual an audience as possible. I'm sure there are exceptions but I've browsed both big app stores and there's not much on there that looks good to me. I've tried numerous mobile games and nothing can hold my interest at all. It's an inferior form of video games for non-gamers to play while they're taking a break from Facebook.

I don't mean to come off like a jerk. I understand your financial situation and it's tough to be able to buy all the latest and greatest games and consoles. Not everyone is living at home rent free like me. But I just feel like someone mostly playing on mobile and buying games for a penny on Steam three years after the game is done being relevant doesn't strike me as a modern gamer equipped to discuss current events in video games.

Hey, here's a response for you. Fuck off. Conversation over.

20 minutes ago, Mike said:

How so?

1. Rainbow Six Siege was free on Xbox for the weekend a while back. I played it for about ten minutes and then swiftly deleted it.

Well that was a mistake. That's not even enough time to unlock a single operator or learn anything about how to play the game well. It's not even enough time to finish one of the offline tutorial missions.

4 minutes ago, pen said:

We all play different games and we all watch different shows.

You guys are talking about shows I don't watch and don't give myself the time to watch. I pop in when it comes to Game Of Thrones and I'll definitely pop in when season 3 of The Leftovers comes around. When Luke Cage comes out at the end of the month, I'll definitely be up for talking about that.

As for games, I only have my PC and my phone and I'm not up to date because I can't afford the newest games, so you'll either see me chime in on a game potentially a year and a half later than anyone else or it'll be something cheaper and more obscure that most people here probably haven't played.

And hey, I tried to stimulate discussion with my mobile thread but I guess no one else here really plays mobile games. Hell, I didn't either until the last couple months and I've been incredibly surprised at the great content to be found there.

I'm not taking the piss for you not talking about enough shit, it's the whole forum. I don't think me and you ever talked too much about those things anyway. But all of the non-Game of Thrones TV threads are pretty much ignored--Mr. Robot has me, Mike, and maybe a couple others, The Americans has me, Mike, and Jay. Maybe two other people watch Fargo. Better Call Saul has a pretty solid audience but nobody here seems to want to watch shit at the same time so there's no conversational flow. Same goes for Silicon Valley. All sorts of other acclaimed TV like Louie, You're the Worst, the new FX shows, Ash vs Evil Dead, Lady Dynamite, Narcos, Justified, and others I can't even get a single other person to comment on. Most of my TV discussion has to take place at The AV Club, because our more avid TV fans here (Andrew comes to mind) rarely discuss it here.

Then video games. Me, Mike, and maybe one other person in No Man's Sky. Many posted their opinions on Uncharted 4, but there wasn't any real discussion. The gaming thread is a wasteland because Mike won't play any games I play for more than five minutes, and we're the only two people who even participate in that thread anymore for the most part.

Movies, are a bit better because there's still tentpole releases that everyone discusses, but even there there's a lot of divergence because people are watching completely different movies. Ticketman and Nixon seem to watch a lot of good stuff but are seldom around. SMF, Andrew, and others watch a good bit of movies but again, rarely discuss them on the board.

And wrestling is almost completely dead. Me and Mike are the only two people who regularly share opinions, and I'm the only person ever live-posting during a show. Occasionally Nixon drops in to chastise me or something big happens that Omar and Andrew drop a brief reaction to or Jman posts one of his Triple H-style monologues that say nothing but there's very minimal wrestling discussion to be had. That's harder for me, because most other wrestling discussion forums on the internet are polluted with new-age marks who are impossible to have a real conversation with.

And that's my analysis. It isn't anyone's fault. It's just a fact. I come here to discuss shit, and it's to much less avail than it was a couple years ago. And it really sucks because I feel I'm a lot more pleasant to talk to than I was when the place was buzzing.

I mean, look no further than the dearth of fun tournaments. Andrew has to keep killing off his tournaments because of minimal participation, and nobody else even tries anymore. Music Madness is the only one that gets any buzz at all, and even that's not quite the same as it used to be due to a small pool of individuals with pretty wildly diverging tastes. There was one album in the whole tournament that I was able to really discuss with anyone, because the others were dead threads (even ones that lasted a few rounds).

I dunno, assuming we're talking about the "lack of new blood" problem that comes up from time to time, I don't think very much about it cause I kind of view this place as more or less an online gentlemen's club. I come here, put my mental feet up, and try to relax. I get what I want from it and move on.

I'm up for any kind of discussion for the most part but I just don't keep up with a lot of stuff. I haven't listened to a lot of new music, I haven't seen any movies lately, I don't regularly watch TV shows. Most of my free time lately is spent watching Achievement Hunter videos, binge-watching Pokemon, and checking out mobile games. I doubt anyone wants to talk about any of that.

57 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Well that was a mistake. That's not even enough time to unlock a single operator or learn anything about how to play the game well. It's not even enough time to finish one of the offline tutorial missions.

I'm not taking the piss for you not talking about enough shit, it's the whole forum. I don't think me and you ever talked too much about those things anyway. But all of the non-Game of Thrones TV threads are pretty much ignored--Mr. Robot has me, Mike, and maybe a couple others, The Americans has me, Mike, and Jay. Maybe two other people watch Fargo. Better Call Saul has a pretty solid audience but nobody here seems to want to watch shit at the same time so there's no conversational flow. Same goes for Silicon Valley. All sorts of other acclaimed TV like Louie, You're the Worst, the new FX shows, Ash vs Evil Dead, Lady Dynamite, Narcos, Justified, and others I can't even get a single other person to comment on. Most of my TV discussion has to take place at The AV Club, because our more avid TV fans here (Andrew comes to mind) rarely discuss it here.

Then video games. Me, Mike, and maybe one other person in No Man's Sky. Many posted their opinions on Uncharted 4, but there wasn't any real discussion. The gaming thread is a wasteland because Mike won't play any games I play for more than five minutes, and we're the only two people who even participate in that thread anymore for the most part.

Movies, are a bit better because there's still tentpole releases that everyone discusses, but even there there's a lot of divergence because people are watching completely different movies. Ticketman and Nixon seem to watch a lot of good stuff but are seldom around. SMF, Andrew, and others watch a good bit of movies but again, rarely discuss them on the board.

And wrestling is almost completely dead. Me and Mike are the only two people who regularly share opinions, and I'm the only person ever live-posting during a show. Occasionally Nixon drops in to chastise me or something big happens that Omar and Andrew drop a brief reaction to or Jman posts one of his Triple H-style monologues that say nothing but there's very minimal wrestling discussion to be had. That's harder for me, because most other wrestling discussion forums on the internet are polluted with new-age marks who are impossible to have a real conversation with.

And that's my analysis. It isn't anyone's fault. It's just a fact. I come here to discuss shit, and it's to much less avail than it was a couple years ago. And it really sucks because I feel I'm a lot more pleasant to talk to than I was when the place was buzzing.

I mean, look no further than the dearth of fun tournaments. Andrew has to keep killing off his tournaments because of minimal participation, and nobody else even tries anymore. Music Madness is the only one that gets any buzz at all, and even that's not quite the same as it used to be due to a small pool of individuals with pretty wildly diverging tastes. There was one album in the whole tournament that I was able to really discuss with anyone, because the others were dead threads (even ones that lasted a few rounds).

Wrestling thread is one of the most active here. Plus. I've said a lot in that thread. I think we can't do the girls of rock or girls in general because NIxon got in trouble for content or something. The cover art was cool, but I miss the Tunelab awards like guitarist of the year, vocalist of the year, single of the year, etc. We haven't done that in awhile. I like what Andrew is doing with the picks of the 2000s right now, that's fun. I used to play video games all the time, but I haven't played any new ones and I like retro video games more than the newer ones, which doesn't seem to be a thing here. I don't watch ESPN or keep up to date on all sports anymore, just my teams and not many people like to talk about college sports on here. Anyways, I think the people that want to be here are here and they contribute. If we want others to join, should we do a recruitment or ads? We've had some join and then turn into ranting crazy people who eventually get booted off the site. I'm okay with the site, and it isn't terrible, there is still some conversation going on, but I agree that there could possibly be more. Do you still own that axolotl? I keep FW tropical fish and am into that? Anyone else do that here? 

I don't think the in-activity of this forum has anything to do with people getting married or having kids. I associate it much more with the "fall of rock" with a lot of people not listening to it as much as it was in the past, and it not being in the mainstream anymore. That leads to less people on these forums considering it's a music forum first and a games/wrestling/tv/politics random discussion second. 

7 hours ago, jman3000 said:

I think we can't do girls in general because NIxon got in trouble for content or something.

I've been dying to do another Miss TuneLab and Andrew said he was going to do it but unfortunately it never happened. I can't really blame him as his movie tournament got no discussion and was a waste of time, unfortunately. And Nixon isn't going to get in any trouble. Seeing as how this solid setup for the website lets you adjust picture sizes, we can simply get every single picture from Google and nothing will be hosted here (assuming that would be the issue). If some no-name woman gets mad at the opinions of ten dudes on this tiny forum, well then the hell with her. I think I might get on the ball with a TV show tournament if I can make sure that it's more than just me and Ruiner participating. 

33 minutes ago, Koldes said:

I associate it much more with the "fall of rock" with a lot of people not listening to it as much as it was in the past, and it not being in the mainstream anymore. That leads to less people on these forums considering it's a music forum first and a games/wrestling/tv/politics random discussion second. 

Me personally, I haven't been interested in most rock music for about five years now. I listen to less and less music each year. Not by choice, just because I don't like any of the new bands. I'm only here for the off-topic. I imagine without the main site supporting the forum, no one is discovering the forum anymore. And even if they do find it somehow, you're right about the state of rock music and I don't anyone will stick around. No one new will stay on this small forum just for the off-topic discussion.

8 hours ago, Dylan said:

1. Well that was a mistake. That's not even enough time to unlock a single operator or learn anything about how to play the game well. It's not even enough time to finish one of the offline tutorial missions.

2. Better Call Saul has a pretty solid audience but nobody here seems to want to watch shit at the same time so there's no conversational flow. Same goes for Silicon Valley.

3. Many posted their opinions on Uncharted 4, but there wasn't any real discussion.

4. Jman posts one of his Triple H-style monologues that say nothing

1. I only downloaded it in hopes of unlocking a quick achievement or two in about ten minutes. I knew exactly what kind of game it was going to be going in. Something like Payday or whatever, tactical PvP stuff. I'm not into that stuff at all. The raids in Destiny are some of my favorite missions in video game history and those involve different classes doing different things, teamwork, speaking to teammates, it offers a great challenge, different ways to accomplish your goal. It seems like sorta the same thing but the big difference is that is PvE which I'm much more into.

2. Unless a show is so good that I watch it each week like Game of Thrones, Mr. Robot, The Americans or some others, for the most part I just wait until the season is over and then watch shows. I waited till Better Call Saul and Silicon Valley were done to watch those. I don't want to use the term "binge watch" cause I don't watch ten episodes a day or anything like that, but I usually wait till a season is done and then over a few weeks watch all the episodes. With the new way of watching TV all together, it kinda hurts discussion. Thank god Lost never aired like that as that was the best show of all-time, not even close, when it comes to weekly discussion with people. And I do want to watch Narcos but I want to watch a show, not read a book. The subtitles are keeping me away.

3. On that one I did not want to be spoiled on the story so I waited till I beat it to post my thoughts. And in case no one read my post, it had the best ending in video game history.

4. I read all of Jman's posts but I don't look forward to reading any of them. I feel like every post he makes talks about bottom of the barrel NXT guys.

9 hours ago, pen said:

I dunno, assuming we're talking about the "lack of new blood" problem that comes up from time to time, I don't think very much about it cause I kind of view this place as more or less an online gentlemen's club. I come here, put my mental feet up, and try to relax. I get what I want from it and move on.

I'm up for any kind of discussion for the most part but I just don't keep up with a lot of stuff. I haven't listened to a lot of new music, I haven't seen any movies lately, I don't regularly watch TV shows. Most of my free time lately is spent watching Achievement Hunter videos, binge-watching Pokemon, and checking out mobile games. I doubt anyone wants to talk about any of that.

I'm similar except for the Pokemon stuff. I'd enjoy discussing the AH content as that's a lot of what I also watch with any down time. I don't keep up with much else like TV or movies (exceptions being Marvel stuff), though I truly wish I could. I need to watch Daredevil, Jessica Jones, etc. I'm also intrigued by Mr. Robot. Just haven't had time to binge them. I used to keep up some with wrestling but just don't have the time now. I'm basically taking my kids to extracurricular stuff or hanging out with friends IRL 5-6 days per week unless it's the week I don't have them and then I try and binge stuff or play video games (more recent thing since getting my Xbone). I'm mostly keeping up with the opposite things Mike does ironically: new music/album releases (and no we don't discuss just rock here anymore but it's still the majority), music news, and of course fantasy during the relevant six months or so.

So pen, what's your favorite game series for AH? I have been so happy they brought back 7 Days to Die recently and can't wait to see what happens in the next few. I also have enjoyed the shit out of Dead by Daylight. I'm behind on Off Topic by about a video and a half though and need to get on that.

I think Mike's closer to the mark re: rock music. It's not like there's not people online discussing it, but there's no real route here for new members (even though we still keep getting shitty ones somehow). And I think another thing is the divergence in musical tastes of the forum members we have leads to us having less to talk about. There's still common ground on some active rock, but otherwise... Mike is pretty much on an island, Andrew and Xeph are primarily into post-hardcore and alt-pop, I've got most common ground with Jamie and GB who aren't around much (and wired and Juggz who are history). Of course everybody likes a wide variety of music so we still have some stuff to talk about but when it comes to the stuff we're passionate about there's a fair bit of distance that wasn't so strong when everybody was mainly here to discuss active rock music. 

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Me personally, I haven't been interested in most rock music for about five years now. I listen to less and less music each year. Not by choice, just because I don't like any of the new bands. I'm only here for the off-topic. I imagine without the main site supporting the forum, no one is discovering the forum anymore. And even if they do find it somehow, you're right about the state of rock music and I don't anyone will stick around. No one new will stay on this small forum just for the off-topic discussion.

I think that without the rock music element, I probably wouldn't come to TL at all. The internet has so many forums and methods to communicate with like minded people like reddit where you can get specialized discussions going on (like about TV or gaming) with way more people than what come to TL. To my knowledge, this place is still the absolute best place to find out about new rock music or rock music news - in all forms and variation like active rock, indie rock, pop rock, etc.  You're right - no one new will stay here for the off-topic discussion, I think that's only an old member habit. But, little to none of that has anything to do with getting older, married, having kids, etc. 

13 minutes ago, Koldes said:

I think that without the rock music element, I probably wouldn't come to TL at all. The internet has so many forums and methods to communicate with like minded people like reddit where you can get specialized discussions going on (like about TV or gaming) with way more people than what come to TL.

See I look at it differently. I come here for the people, not discussion about certain things. For example, I'd much rather convince Mike to watch The Shield and get his opinions on it and discuss it than go to a forum where everybody watched or is watching The Shield and discuss it with a bunch of strangers. It isn't as fulfilling, even though I'll probably agree with those guys' opinions a hell of a lot more than I'd agree with Mike's.

The problem with music is that there's way too much of it available. In the old days when you went to Best Buy or Target or Newbury Comics to buy a cd, you were excited about it and anticipated it coming out. You'd pop it into your car after you bought it and listen to it over and over. Now its not the same because of all the options and choices, the excitement is gone. Its like 'shuffle' 'skip', 'next' over and over again. Too much readily available music hurts your attention span and interest.

I remember those days. I'd go into Borders or Camelot Music and listen to the new stuff that came out and there were a lot of cool posters promoting new releases. I'd talk to some of the store employees about new rock albums and some of them would point me to new bands. That element of music has seemingly died out due to the digital age. Having that physical element made it feel even more special instead of just going to ITunes or Spotify for music.

Yeah we had a Borders in my city. I used to go there to read the video game magazines. Some cds I bought there were the Crossfade and American Head Charge albums. Others too but I cant remember. They werent cheap though. The dvd section had a nice foreign film section if you were into that stuff.

4 hours ago, Koldes said:

I don't think the in-activity of this forum has anything to do with people getting married or having kids. I associate it much more with the "fall of rock" with a lot of people not listening to it as much as it was in the past, and it not being in the mainstream anymore. That leads to less people on these forums considering it's a music forum first and a games/wrestling/tv/politics random discussion second. 

I think that the lack of a main site directing people here is why we're not getting more people. TL used to have hundreds of people contributing, but once TL changed to Rock Access and subsequently just the forum site, we lost most of those people. I stumbled upon this forum by accident because I thought the main site was where all the talking happened and then one day I clicked on the link to the forum and knew about this whole thing. Rock isn't necessarily falling, it's just that a lot of fans only go to youtube or the main music sites for their news or to hear music, so they don't know about this forum. The rock festivals in the U.S. are getting larger every year and most of the concerts I've gone to in recent years have been packed.