Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Salemzorro

Make America Rock Again - Trapt, Saliva, Saving Abel, Alien Ant Farm, etc.

50 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2016 at 0:18 AM, Vigo said:

@Cfw828 comes back after a 2 year absence and nobody says anything??

Glad to see you! 

Haha, thanks. It's been awhile...since I could....post on Alternanoise.

Wait, that's not how the song goes.

Anyway, after all of that hype for the show, it wound up being cancelled, likely to low ticket sales. I don't know why they booked it in Melrose Ballroom in Queens of all places though to begin with. Probably should have gone after The Gramercy, which holds more shows for rock artists like those...but either way, I don't think they would have gotten the ticket sales they wanted.

3 hours ago, Cfw828 said:

Haha, thanks. It's been awhile...since I could....post on Alternanoise.

Wait, that's not how the song goes.

Anyway, after all of that hype for the show, it wound up being cancelled, likely to low ticket sales. I don't know why they booked it in Melrose Ballroom in Queens of all places though to begin with. Probably should have gone after The Gramercy, which holds more shows for rock artists like those...but either way, I don't think they would have gotten the ticket sales they wanted.

Wow, that sucks balls. I hope that doesn't happen to the show here, although I haven't bought my ticket yet.

They were at a bar for the "Chicago" date and still has trouble. I would love to see how Friday and Saturday shows compared to shows where people had to work the next day. 

2 hours ago, chicago_animal said:

They were at a bar for the "Chicago" date and still has trouble. I would love to see how Friday and Saturday shows compared to shows where people had to work the next day. 

Are you talking about the show at HOME bar? I was there, it wasn't that bad, iv'e seen way worse at the place.

4 hours ago, Eitan Levine said:

Are you talking about the show at HOME bar? I was there, it wasn't that bad, iv'e seen way worse at the place.

Yeah. They were either half off or buy one get one tickets. I can't remember what the deal was but they did it like a week before the show as I'm sure that helped. 

Great place for bands but they focus too much on Hard Rock/Metal. They need to mix it up with Alt Rock bands too as they would sound great there. 

4 hours ago, chicago_animal said:

Yeah. They were either half off or buy one get one tickets. I can't remember what the deal was but they did it like a week before the show as I'm sure that helped. 

Great place for bands but they focus too much on Hard Rock/Metal. They need to mix it up with Alt Rock bands too as they would sound great there. 

It seems like every time i'm there it's either pretty much empty or overcrowded. I just moved to the area about a year ago and i've already been to most venues in Chicago and in the area and it's always funny to me how the crowd there is different than the crowd in the city.

So today I went to this tour's stop here in Orlando, and I'll preface this story by saying that the bands I saw were great and it was a pleasure to watch them. That being said, this was the worst concert experience I have ever had and part of it is my fault, as I'll explain, but this has probably turned me off of outside concerts, at least in the summer.

We begin our journey yesterday, where watching Luke Cage episodes through the evening and knowing the concert opened doors at 12 today and it was at least an hour drive to the venue from my house and so I got the bright idea to not sleep. I felt fine at the time. I stocked up on some drinks and sandwiches and headed to the venue, which is this place that used to be called Firestone but is now called Venue 578, which is a fucking dumb name. Might as well call it Venue Random Number Generator.

Anyway, Venue Can't Be Bothered With A Better Name doesn't have any parking at all, so I had to find somewhere to park, which if you don't venture downtown a lot means a lot of trying to figure out where the hell you can park. Eventually I got tired of searching and I ended up at this Mobil which I thought was only a short distance away but turns out it was about 1.2 miles in the hot, hot sun.

By the time I got there, I was dying from the heat and dead tired and was developing blisters. This was a little after 12:30 PM. Now, remember that doors should have already been open. They weren't. Turns out they were having problems getting a generator which was causing delays in everything. We waited outside in that line in that hot, hot sun until a little after 1:30 PM before the doors really opened. By that time I had already used up my drinks and was now both dying for something cold and also needing badly to urinate.

Took care of the first no problem but turned out that the food and drink vendor had 6 employees call out and they weren't ready for us, so we all had to wait by their tent for them to finish getting everything together, which took some time. Then when they finally had everything, I had to wait in another fucking line and dying so I could get a shaved ice drink and a Gatorade. Unfortunately, the remaining two times I had to do this they were out of Gatorade, which fucking blew because all that was left was soda, which I feel is not great for hot conditions or for my stomach, as I'll explain. There was water of course, but I have a thing about plain water. I agree that that's on me. Moving on...

So remember that the bands were supposed to start at 1 PM. Well, because of the generator fiasco that wasn't happening. The first band, 12 Stones, did not start until 3 PM, two hours later. Because of this, I'm pretty certain that they as well as Tantric and Crazy Town had shortened sets, as they all only played 4 songs each. Alien Ant Farm got at least 7 and Saving Abel and Trapt played a good selection, so I'm almost certain that the first three were shortened down for the others, which kind of sucks cause Tantric for example only played their three self-titled singles and "Down And Out". Would have loved to see more.

So with the heat being a constant factor I kept drinking cool fluids to stay alright, except that drinking a lot of fluids eventually makes me feel bloated and awful, so for the whole concert I was basically sitting off to the side trying to hold my shit together. This is where the lack of sleep comes into play, as I kept dozing off during the sets. Again, this is on me. I did see all the sets; I can tell you what each band played, with the lone exception being Saving Abel. That's where it got real bad and I feel awful because Saving Abel was actually really good at least from what I was aware of, but I can't tell you everything they played. After Saving Abel though I guess I got enough sleep cause I didn't do this again during Trapt, although there was another factor at that point.

Which brings me to Saliva. Who didn't play. Because during Trapt, it started raining, and at first it was sprinkling and everyone was like who gives a fuck, but then it became something more torrential and people started taking shelter under tents and trees. We were still willing to stick it out for Saliva but then this got upgraded to a thunderstorm warning with flood warnings and the promoters came out to tell us Saliva would not be playing. They said we could get replacement tickets for the Tampa show but I'm not going to fucking Tampa so whatever. Sucked cause I was really looking forward to seeing Saliva, but I realize it was the right decision because the storm became really bad.

Bear in mind at this point my car is a long walk away and I can't walk there in these conditions, so I introduced myself to Uber for the first time. I was under this awning at the venue with several other people all Ubering as well. Funny story, first attempt I made at an Uber, the people with me thought this one car was my ride so I went to check it out and after some very confused circlings of this vehicle that just happened to pull into the venue during a thunderstorm, they rolled down their window and asked what the fuck I wanted. Turned out they were indeed just a random couple, not with Uber at all. Whoops! We cleared that air.

Anyway, I had to make three attempts total at an Uber because I guess I was trying to be too helpful in directions as I gave them the venue name instead of the street name that Uber kept auto-generating. Then they'd go to the wrong side of the venue and I'd be trying to guide them but the constant barrage of rain made it impossible to text and they kept cancelling before I could give them all the details. Third time was a charm though and I got to my car safely. Then on the ride home some asshole in the next lane dumps a ton of water on my windshield and there was a scary moment where I totally thought I was gonna die, but I braked effectively, got my bearings, and moved on, shaken but not stirred. And now I'm here!

So in summary, the bands were great for what I was able to see, and I realize the venue can't exactly control the weather. I realize not one single entity by itself is exactly at fault for this experience and that I am also a factor in this. What's funny to me is the retrospect, cause if I had known the concert would have been delayed until 3PM, I would have made an attempt at sleep and I could've spent more time finding better parking. Not much else would've changed though I guess. They still would've delayed the event, sets would've been shortened, Saliva would've been rained out, and in the meantime I still would've been in the corner holding my shit together.

Anyway, that's the whole experience. It was a misadventure. As far as the bands, enjoyed all of them, even Crazy Town surprisingly. They did a good job working the crowd and the audience seemed to like them. It's just such a shame it couldn't have been under better conditions, like during the winter, or in an indoor venue. The latter would've actually solved almost every problem. I realize that it's October and I'm also in Florida, the Asshole State, but it does make me question why we insist on having outside events during the summer like madmen.

Damn man that does sound like a bad time. 

Those short sets basic for tours like this. When I saw the Summerland tour the first 2 bands played like 4 or 5 songs. Should have been different for you though as a 3pm start time?! Most places had 7pm start times. 

3 hours ago, chicago_animal said:

Damn man that does sound like a bad time. 

Those short sets basic for tours like this. When I saw the Summerland tour the first 2 bands played like 4 or 5 songs. Should have been different for you though as a 3pm start time?! Most places had 7pm start times. 

Well to be fair that's because most places ended at 12AM and this one ended at 8PM, but also bear in mind this should've started at 1PM and not 3PM and the surprise still holds true.

That sounds terrible. Going to outdoor festivals all day is tough. My wife really has a hard time and I've had a few times where I've gotten really dehydrated from the heat. At Aftershock in Sacramento, there has always been an issue with dust. It got to the point where you start blowing your nose and your snot is black. I somehow withstand this and have enjoyed the bands, but sometimes the experience itself can be tough to get through. This year, we stuck to outdoor concerts with no dust and bleachers. They were all great concerts. 

7 hours ago, pen said:

Well to be fair that's because most places ended at 12AM and this one ended at 8PM, but also bear in mind this should've started at 1PM and not 3PM and the surprise still holds true.

You got lucky for the early start but I would have went to the Chicago show with 7 start if it was on Fri/Sat nights. Also, Trapt didn't even go on till 12am or later so no way it ended at midnight. I would have considered going if it ended at midnight. 

4 hours ago, chicago_animal said:

You got lucky for the early start but I would have went to the Chicago show with 7 start if it was on Fri/Sat nights. Also, Trapt didn't even go on till 12am or later so no way it ended at midnight. I would have considered going if it ended at midnight. 

Then I stand corrected, I guess I just assumed most night shows ended at midnight cause of rules, or at least that's what I'd always understood.

1 hour ago, pen said:

Then I stand corrected, I guess I just assumed most night shows ended at midnight cause of rules, or at least that's what I'd always understood.

Majority of the venues were bar like settings where it won't effect time 

When i saw the tours a few month ago Tantric, 12 Stones and Saving Abel all played 4 songs each.

BTW, check out the latest tour drama at Tantric's FB page. Things are getting crazy.

36 minutes ago, Eitan Levine said:

When i saw the tours a few month ago Tantric, 12 Stones and Saving Abel all played 4 songs each.

BTW, check out the latest tour drama at Tantric's FB page. Things are getting crazy.

Really? Maybe they're rotating then, cause Saving Abel definitely played more than four songs and Alien Ant Farm was before them and played seven.

40 minutes ago, Eitan Levine said:

Just read it. That's some fucked up shit.

For those who are lazy, basically the same promoter who ran the Orlando clusterfuck runs the Tampa date and they didn't pay the bands what was promised for the Orlando date so the bands gave the promoter an ultimatum. Promoter didn't respond so the Tampa date got cancelled. Which is fucking hilarious in hindsight because at the end of the Orlando date the promoter was giving free tickets for the Tampa date to make up for what happened and now that show is cancelled. Fucking ridiculous.

Aug. 04 - Sturgis, SD - Buffalo Chip (DROWNING POOL and TRAPT only)
Aug. 09 - Omaha, NE - Ralston Arena (no ADELITAS WAY)
Aug. 15 - Dallas, TX - Gas Monkey Live
Aug. 17 - Lafayette, LA - Festival International Stage
Aug. 18 - Edinburgh, TX - HEB Park
Aug. 19 - Austin, TX - Bat Fest (no DROWNING POOL)
Aug. 20 - Houston, TX - The Pub Fountains
Aug. 24 - Sylvania, OH - Centennial Terrace
Aug. 25 - Milwaukee, WI - The Rave (no TRAPT)
Aug. 26 - Island Lake, IL - Bands in the Sand
Aug. 27 - Sterling Heights, MI - Freedom Hill Amphitheater
Aug. 29 - Dewey Beach, DE - Bottle & Cork (no ADELITAS WAY or DROWNING POOL)
Aug. 31 - Huntington, NY - Paramount Theatre
Sep. 01 - Wellmont, NJ - Wellmont Theatre
Sep. 03 - Presque Isle, ME - The Forum
Sep. 08 - Fayetteville, NC - Crown Complex
Sep. 09 - Lynchburg, VA - Blue Ridge Rock Fest (as part of festival)

makeamericarockagain2017tourposter_0.jpg

I meant to post about this but just didn't. I'm glad that it's coming back and hopefully, if it still comes to Florida, the lesser amount of bands might allow for better venues. It's a longshot, but here's hoping.

The tour name takes on a whole new meeting now that I regularly see Trapt's singer going on Harty-esque rants defending Trump in the most ridiculous of ways.

5 hours ago, Vigo said:

The tour name takes on a whole new meeting now that I regularly see Trapt's singer going on Harty-esque rants defending Trump in the most ridiculous of ways.

Wait, what? When did this happen? 

54 minutes ago, pen said:

Wait, what? When did this happen? 

Found it.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2017/05/12/trump-loving-trapt-frontman-is-fighting-with-people-on-facebook-about-the-james-comey-fbi-scandal/

This is disheartening. I knew the frontman could be a douchebag but it's worse to know he's a Trump supporter. Not that I supported Trapt much financially anyway, but now this makes me want to even less so.

On 6/2/2017 at 1:02 PM, pen said:

Found it.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2017/05/12/trump-loving-trapt-frontman-is-fighting-with-people-on-facebook-about-the-james-comey-fbi-scandal/

This is disheartening. I knew the frontman could be a douchebag but it's worse to know he's a Trump supporter. Not that I supported Trapt much financially anyway, but now this makes me want to even less so.

He was even insulting Nixon who called him out for being a douchebag. I want to see this tour when it comes here, but I also don't want to support Trapt.

Holy shit, I've probably seen Trapt about 6 times over the past decade.  Probably not going to be seeing them anymore...