Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

WWE Backlash

31 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Omar said:

I have to say as someone who has followed AJ from the very start, had to watch shitty highlight is the weekly PPVs on a syndicated show on local midnights on Saturday, this is one of my favorite wrestling moments ever. Is Lesnar the only guy that had the shorter route to the world title in WWE history? That's fucking crazy. And to think Vince supposedly wanted to squash him in Wrestlemania. 

As as for the match, as usual for AJ, just fantastic. As I agree with Mike, AJ has carried everyone aside from the Summerslam match vs Cena. I saw a Kurt Angle interview where he said he's the easiest to wrestle because he does everything for you and makes you look like a million bucks, tonight was an example of that. Ambrose did nothing but his typical messy wresting moves and AJ sold the shit out of them taking brutal bumps. 

AJ was definitely the better man as he is in literally any match he's had since being signed, but it takes two to tango. It did with Roman, and it did here. It's not like those AJ/Jericho matches were this good.

One of my low-key favorite moments was Ambrose countering the Calf Killer by grabbing AJ's head and slamming it repeatedly into the mat. That's without mentioning the new offense he broke out (including his indie finish). I think that was easily Ambrose's best WWE-style performance. They really, really need to make him a mat-based technical wrestler though. That's what he's great at. I'm sick of seeing him completely out of his element working WWE-style bullshit. He doesn't have the athleticism for it. I thought this match was great, but it could've been way better with Ambrose doing his bread-and-butter. I was watching some of his FCW stuff the other day and there's no chop/strike bullshit, no rebound clothesline, he's hitting great-looking forearms and doing all sorts of crafty technical wrestling. The guy has more in common with Regal than he does Austin. He's had to completely reinvent himself in the space of a couple of years and has done better than most and I have to sit through Nixon's intolerable constant shitting all over him. I wish I could be talking about how happy I am for AJ instead of defending Ambrose.

And again, Ambrose's storytelling-centric matches are soooo much better than Cena's nearfall spam shit. That Summerslam match was really good, but was so close to being self-parody. This match, so many creative spots and counters, greatly enhanced by AJ's terrific bumping. They weren't just doing moves.

Thinking about it now, they really screwed the pooch with the timing of this Ambrose reign. If they had just pulled the trigger on him at Roadblock when he was white hot and was on a streak of great matches, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Easily the worst thing about his reign has been the crowd reactions because everyone thinks of him as a midcarder after that Lesnar match.

So listen I know the AJ/Ambrose match was real good but can we talk about the Miz and Dolph Ziggler?  That was, real talk, 4 star match with a little bit more on top and may be a dark horse MOTY candidate for me.  What an effort those two put out there.

13 minutes ago, Andrew said:

So listen I know the AJ/Ambrose match was real good but can we talk about the Miz and Dolph Ziggler?  That was, real talk, 4 star match with a little bit more on top and may be a dark horse MOTY candidate for me.  What an effort those two put out there.

It was real good but I wouldn't say that much more. Definitely the third best IC title match of the year. 

On September 11, 2016 at 10:29 PM, Dylan said:

Funny how Ambrose can't hang as well as Cena when he had a better match with him than either of the Cena matches.

Are you fucking serious, man?!?!?!?

20 minutes ago, Nixon said:

Are you fucking serious, man?!?!?!?

Yes. Not everybody was as over the moon about that Summerslam match as you, y'know. I'd have actually preferred their MITB match, if it wasn't for the world of difference in the quality of the finishes.

And before you respond with vague dismissal of my opinion, I'll elaborate why I feel that way. John Cena's "big time" matches are so goddamn formulaic. Every now and again a really great worker gets him and mixes up the formula and you get an all-time great match. But otherwise, you get every match he had last year. The first Punk match (and not the Raw match which wasn't nearly as good) and the Daniel Bryan match are excellent examples of the former. AJ Styles did overcome that at Money in the Bank, but unfortunately the match wasn't long enough and had a shitty ending so that drug it down from being a classic.

Then at Summerslam, they did the Cena style. Big move, kick-out, bigger move, kick-out. The modern WWE style fucking sucks. Every match is exactly the same but with different moves. Even many of my favorite guys are guilty of it, Rollins among them. One of the things that makes Styles head-and-shoulders better than the entire roster in the ring is that his matches actually tell different stories. It's why the majority of the best matches every year take place anywhere but on WWE's main roster despite how packed to the gills with talent it is. The best mainstream example is the Cruiserweight Classic--no two matches are the same. It's why I really hope that Triple H is getting total freedom with the Cruiserweights on Raw because if they replicate what they're doing at Full Sail I think they stand a legit chance at changing the way WWE books matches.

Now, on Sunday, we had a match that wasn't the same old shit. Dean Ambrose works a style of match not unlike the one seen in the early 2000s of WWE's main event scene--it's no wonder that arguably his best performance as a WWE babyface was against Triple H. This was a match with flow, more interested in pacing, creative spots, interesting counters. It gradually built up to the finish instead of both guys taking turns hitting their moves and going for pins. It wasn't perfect--Ambrose certainly isn't the most athletically inclined guy on the roster, so some sloppy spots come with the package--but it was different. They told a great story with unpredictable beats. That's more than I can say for the Summerslam match--it was a spectacle in its own right, but it isn't on my WWE MOTY shortlist.