WWE Intercontinental Championship
The Miz vs. Dolph Ziggler

Randy Orton vs. Bray Wyatt

WWE SmackDown Tag Team Championship
Heath Slater & Rhyno vs. Usos/Hype Bros

The Usos vs. The Hype Bros

WWE SmackDown Women’s Championship
Lynch vs. Bella vs. Natalya vs. Bliss vs. Carmella vs. Naomi

This card is in desperate need of John Cena but with Del Rio suspended so no free opponent for him to face and them liking furthering this retirement storyline, they are stuck leaving him off TV and instead wrestling dark matches and house shows. This show just needs one more big match. The three undercard matches are like a Sunday Night Heat episode. If Cena was wrestling then you'd at least have four decent matches on the show.

- Ambrose vs. AJ: Right now I'm thinking they go with Omar's plan (at least the beginning of it) of having Cena return and take the title from AJ at the Royal Rumble. And if that's the case then I want AJ to have as long a title reign as possible and win it this month. Ignoring AJ's brilliance for a moment, I've been so disappointed with the cocky partying champ Ambrose with the ten-gallon hat on after a night on the town, getting hair spray on his hair before he comes out and goofing off in world title matches. This is not the MITB and Battleground Ambrose that I liked as champ and that's a major reason why I want AJ to win as well. I'm officially picking AJ. There's no way he can beat Cena clean and then lose the next month.

- Miz vs. Ziggler: How often do you see the I.C. title match as the second biggest match on a card? Very rare. I feel like whenever Miz has the I.C. title and is doing good work they have boring Ziggler win the belt and make it boring. Hopefully this is not the case here. I'm picking Miz. I want a clean win from Miz and I want them to keep building him up as the #2 heel on SD. A Ziggler heel turn on SD next week will be expected.

- Orton vs. Wyatt: I'm picking Orton to get the win here. I think he needs the win more as well after getting squashed last month.

- Tag team stuff: I'm picking the Usos in both tag matches. As overrated as they are by doing the same moves all the time, having crappy PG personalities and being sucky on the mic (as evident in their heel promo on Alpha Male American Alpha), they are the best hope SD has for a top heel tag team at this time. I have little confidence they can carry the division as heels but we'll see.

- Women's match: They should turn this into a bra and panties match between Nikki Bella and Alexa Bliss. That would keep me interested. But in this Botchamania main event, I'll be going with Becky Lynch.

They're doing a retirement storyline w/ Cena? Sounds like they could be working to setup some type of retirement match vs. Taker to me.... :o 

Orton rumored to be off the card because, get this, he's still not medically cleared from having his skull caved in at Summerslam. Just letting the guy blade would be better than having a guy git him so hard that his skull opens up, who'd have thunk it? 

This is pretty fuckin' dire for this card if it's true. I wouldn't be shocked if they rushed Cena back to give Wyatt an opponent. Hopefully not, because I really don't want another Wyatt burial. 

15 minutes ago, chicago_animal said:

Orton is one of the best in the ring . 

Nah

And I think the guy can be excused for getting injured off having a gorilla pummeling his head with the intention of opening him up. 

Wow this card sucks as it is. It's gonna be even worse if Orton/Wyatt gets canceled. I totally regret telling my friend I'd watch Backlash with him. I was so excited that AJ was in the title match that I quickly agreed to watch the show together. I have no fucking interest in almost all of these matches. I'd like to just play Xbox tonight while the PPV is going on and then watch the main event live and then after that watch the I.C. title match and skim through the rest. This is going to be a long three hours.

19 minutes ago, Mike said:

Wow this card sucks as it is. It's gonna be even worse if Orton/Wyatt gets canceled. I totally regret telling my friend I'd watch Backlash with him. I was so excited that AJ was in the title match that I quickly agreed to watch the show together. I have no fucking interest in almost all of these matches. I'd like to just play Xbox tonight while the PPV is going on and then watch the main event live and then after that watch the I.C. title match and skim through the rest. This is going to be a long three hours.

They might as well have Ambrose and Styles wrestle for an hour like Bryan predicted on Talking Smack.

24 minutes ago, Dylan said:

They might as well have Ambrose and Styles wrestle for an hour like Bryan predicted on Talking Smack.

They won't do that. WWE would rather have Kane come out for some antics and they'd rather add a few crap matches.

16 minutes ago, Mike said:

They won't do that. WWE would rather have Kane come out for some antics and they'd rather add a few crap matches.

Oh I don't think they will. But I'm not sure there's two guys on the roster better suited for an hour-long match than AJ and Dean. Maybe Zayn. 

Wow, this six-pack is surprisingly not bad

Can't believe Bliss went out before Naomi though. 

Carmella still has a loooong way to go. Right person one. Very okay little match. Shockingly, it was better when it was six people which is when I expected it to be a total botchfest. Smart booking to do that old "everybody takes a nap outside" formula. There needed to be a competitive home stretch at the finish instead a relatively quick ending. 

Pretty mixed show. The women's match was okay, those tag matches suuuuucked (thanks Usos), that Kane match was fucking horrible and KANE went over BRAY WYATT. As if the roster wasn't already lacking depth.

On the flip side, the two main title matches absolutely delivered, Ambrose had a much-needed strong outing as champion, and the finishes were logical. It's really unfortunate for Ambrose's title run to end before he could establish real momentum, but neither guy could really afford to lose so they needed a dirty finish, and Ambrose can't win dirty because he's a face.

Also, as stated above, that crowd was awful. They were legit chanting for JBL in a world title match between two of the best in the company, and were generally dead no matter how good the matches were (only to chant "This is Awesome" for any big high spot, no matter the quality of the match around it). I really hope that doubling their PPVs doesn't mean we're going to be getting more big shows in bumfuck cities with shit crowds.

Ratings...

Six-Pack: **3/4
Usos/Hype Bros: **1/4
Miz/Ziggler: ****
Kane/Wyatt: **1/4
Usos/Slyno: **
Styles/Ambrose: ****1/2

Not great by any means but this was a slightly better PPV than I thought it was going to be. Great match event. So happy for AJ. He deserves this. He's been carrying weaker opponents like Jericho, Reigns and Ambrose all year. Cena is the only one he's wrestled that can hang with him in the ring. Ambrose did look good out there but AJ made that match. I still can't believe that he almost re-signed with TNA. Imagine if WWE didn't call him. AJ would be making a fraction of the money he's making working in shithole TNA and WWE would've suffered from not getting their best wrestler this year and instead AJ Styles is the fucking WWE World Champion. I've been watching him since TNA debuted on Fox Sports Net in 2004 and this is the best AJ Styles has ever been. I can't wait to see what he does as champion. Ambrose had a decent little reign that got worse as it went. The first month was awesome, second month was okay, third month was meh. I've always liked Ambrose but I was rooting for AJ and I'm happy he's champ. I'd be very happy if he's champ until WrestleMania where Cena wins the historic 16th world title from him.

I hate to say it but the women's match was actually somewhat decent. Alexa Bliss is hotter each time I see her. She looked like Harley Quinn out there with those pigtails. Beautiful face, somewhat thick thighs, nice ass, she's a cutey.

I didn't watch Wyatt/Kane but I can only imagine how terrible it was. I have no fucking clue why Kane won and I'm sick of WWE forcing Kane down our throats. At least Big Show can talk and further a storyline when needed. Kane is fucking useless and I want him to retire.

Sorta surprised Slater won the titles but it was a good ending and I'm glad he carried his own and it wasn't all Rhyno. I'm liking Usos so far as heels. They were smart and went with more basic ring attire and no face paint now that they're heels. And their dreadful entrance and other face crap is over with so I might enjoy them now. They just need to slow down the music a little and make it more heel-like. 

Miz/Ziggler was pretty good. I'm expecting a title rematch on SD this week and Miz wins clean which leads to the Ziggler heel turn.

Oh and my friend told me he used to work with Tommaso Ciampa at Fridays.

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Not great by any means but this was a slightly better PPV than I thought it was going to be. Great match event. So happy for AJ. He deserves this. He's been carrying weaker opponents like Jericho, Reigns and Ambrose all year. Cena is the only one he's wrestled that can hang with him in the ring. Ambrose did look good out there but AJ made that match.

Funny how Ambrose can't hang as well as Cena when he had a better match with him than either of the Cena matches.

Just now, Mike said:

There is no way tonight was better than the SummerSlam match.

There are many ways. The main way being that they did things other than big moves and nearfalls. Storytelling, in a WWE title match! I didn't know such a thing existed anymore.

I have to say as someone who has followed AJ from the very start, had to watch shitty highlight is the weekly PPVs on a syndicated show on local midnights on Saturday, this is one of my favorite wrestling moments ever. Is Lesnar the only guy that had the shorter route to the world title in WWE history? That's fucking crazy. And to think Vince supposedly wanted to squash him in Wrestlemania. 

As as for the match, as usual for AJ, just fantastic. As I agree with Mike, AJ has carried everyone aside from the Summerslam match vs Cena. I saw a Kurt Angle interview where he said he's the easiest to wrestle because he does everything for you and makes you look like a million bucks, tonight was an example of that. Ambrose did nothing but his typical messy wresting moves and AJ sold the shit out of them taking brutal bumps.