Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ruiner

NXT Takeover: Brooklyn II

9 posts in this topic

JNTOBII.0.jpg

NXT Championship
Samoa Joe vs Shinsuke Nakamura

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/5wHOrsgprICTB4j4ymqH-mz8b0A=/0x0:1200x675/920x613/filters:focal(504x242:696x434)/cdn2.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/50445043/BATOBII.0.jpg

NXT Women's Championship
Bayley v. Asuka

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/uw9-tcUmz9J02TOXIsRMTSWK3dM=/0x0:1200x675/920x613/filters:focal(504x242:696x434)/cdn2.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/50445065/TTTOBII.0.jpg

NXT Tag Team Championship
The Revival v. Johnny Gargano & Tomasso Ciampa

Also...

Bobby Roode v. Andrade "Cien" Almas

Ember Moon v. Billie Kay

Austin Aries v. No Way Jose

EDIT: Nevermind.

I've got Nakamura, Asuka, Gargano/Ciampa, Roode, Moon, and Aries. Joe and the Revival are needed on Smackdown yesterday, along with Bayley. Almas only recently debuted but he's been a pretty massive disappointment and Roode should win his first match (though it'd work fine with his character if he lost after all the self-hyping he's done, and he goes over later in a rematch). Jose seems to have impressed people with his recent "serious" promo so much that they think he should go over, but he's still not very impressive in the ring and still has what amounts to a comedy gimmick, and Aries could use a definitive win after a flukey W over Corbin and a loss to Nakamura. He's such a good heel that he can be a real asset to NXT going forward where Jose is still a long term project.

And it's kind of weird they've finally been building up Billie Kay these past few weeks just to have her do the Tye Dillinger special and job to Moon in her debut, but hopefully it'll be a good match because Ember Moon carries a lot of hype as the next face of the NXT women's division, and Billie Kay needs a good showing after some pretty unimpressive squashes with admittedly green girls.

Aries got a hell of an opener out of Jose. Elevated the hell out of him even in defeat. Real vet. 

Itami/Aries! Yay! And GTS! Hot start to the show, which is a good sign since they opened with the weakest match on the card. 

Tag title match is MOTN once again. The Revival are incredible, and the MVPs of the past year of NXT.

The other two title matches were both great, though I think NXT's singes title matches have consistently suffered this thing where they feel like they end way too soon for a while now. Maybe the main event ended early because it looked like Joe might've broken his jaw, but both Bayley/Asuka matches and all of Balor's defenses felt like they missed that crescendo of high drama to really cement the match as a classic (which is an area in which matches like Zayn/Neville, Zayn/Owens, and Bayley/Banks did not fall short). That was the story again tonight. Great matches, but they didn't "feel" like classics. Really, the women have been getting boned for times. Since that 30 minute Iron Man almost a year ago, the women's matches have been 14:49, 13:17, 15:25, 9:12, and 14:08. Now you can have a great match in 15 minutes, but it's pretty damn hard to have a classic title match at that length.

Nakamura vs. Joe wasn't nearly as good as I thought it was going to be. They both looked good out there. I'm not blaming either of them. I don't know what happened. I guess it was just a great TV match and I was expecting a great PPV match.

29 minutes ago, Mike said:

Nakamura vs. Joe wasn't nearly as good as I thought it was going to be. They both looked good out there. I'm not blaming either of them. I don't know what happened. I guess it was just a great TV match and I was expecting a great PPV match.

The reaction to it has been kind of mixed. Some loved it and some thought it was merely very good. I certainly wouldn't describe it as a TV match--it had that big fight feel, it was just really slow where it felt like it should've been fast. Meltzer loved it and said it was worked very much like a New Japan match, which could contribute to the reaction. 

But it's pretty consensus that it was the weakest of the big three matches. Which isn't a horrible thing, because Asuka/Bayley was really great and totally different from most women's matches and the tag title match was just outstanding. 

I just watched Roode's entrance and the finish to the match. That entrance was amazing. Having the best theme song ever really enhanced it. I didn't like his finisher, though. A pump handle press was really the best they could come up with? I like a finisher that can be performed quickly, not one that needs a while to setup. And what's with these terrible, lazy names of finishers? Banks statement, glorious bomb, Paige turner, etc.. What happened to good finisher names like RKO, pedigree and F5?

11 minutes ago, Mike said:

I just watched Roode's entrance and the finish to the match. That entrance was amazing. Having the best theme song ever really enhanced it. I didn't like his finisher, though. A pump handle press was really the best they could come up with? I like a finisher that can be performed quickly, not one that needs a while to setup. And what's with these terrible, lazy names of finishers? Banks statement, glorious bomb, Paige turner, etc.. What happened to good finisher names like RKO, pedigree and F5?

1916, Coup de Grace, Kinshasa, and Shatter Machine are all pretty badass names. 

You were smart to fast forward through the match, it didn't live up to the entrance at all. And his finisher sucks a lot. 

I'm guessing you aren't going to watch Bayley/Asuka for your Mike reasons but you should really watch the tag title match.