Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

WWE SummerSlam

67 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, chicago_animal said:

I gotta disagree with xpac and I hated xpac. He had huge pops when he came out. 

From 1998 till mid 1999, hell yeah. From the Kane fued on? People literally didn't give a shit about him. 

Just now, Nixon said:

Welp. Word on the streets is Finn suffered a serious shoulder injury last night.

Man that would suck for him and the plans for WWE. Lets say he is injured, who would WWE look at to feud with Rollins right now? I honestly don't see Reigns getting another shot so soon. 

Seth Rollins was unhappy with the way the live crowd at WWE SummerSlam voiced their displeasure with the new Universal Championship belt during his match with Finn Balor. “More important than a title’s appearance is what it represents for the men fighting over it,” Rollins wrote. “You really let me down tonight, Brooklyn. 

38 minutes ago, chicago_animal said:

Lets say he is injured, who would WWE look at to feud with Rollins right now?

I'm not gonna complain about the roster split because I've actually been happy with it so far but these are the types of major problems you run into when you cut your roster in half. Like if Sasha gets suspended, who is Charlotte supposed to face at the next pay-per-view? I believe their only choices are Summer Rae and Alicia Fox. They'd just have to leave Charlotte off TV until Paige comes back. I can't believe I'm saying this cause I was shitting all over the division a few weeks ago but now it seems like the SD women's division is actually stronger.

If Balor is hurt this is a devastating injury for the Universal title. The historic first champion goes down with an injury almost instantly and there will be a new champion after only a month. What a major blow to that title. Speaking of, I wish the title was blue. I understand red for Raw but I think a blue background would've looked nicer. It looks too much like the women's title.

This injury does make sense. You know how when Balor's music picks up the lights go bright and he raises both arms? Well last night after he won I think he was outside the ring near the announce tables and the music picked up and he raised his left arm to go along with the music but he didn't raise his right arm. It seemed weird to me cause he was holding the title. Why wouldn't he raise the arm holding the title as well? I didn't think much of it but now it makes sense that he possibly hurt that right arm and couldn't raise it.

6 hours ago, Andrew said:

Also I understand wanting to make your midcard titles look more credible but putting the US Title match after BOTH world championships?  Way to make it abundantly clear that we haven't given up on the Roman Reigns experiment.  Dude is still getting pushed hard.

Styles/Cena was aces (best match in a long time though?  C'mon, Zayn/Owens was LAST MONTH), the two World Title matches were fine but unspectacular and ruined by a mostly dead crowd, the tag opener was fun, both women's matches were sloppy (Sasha is apparently hurt so there you go), and the main event was the same shitty boring match that Brock's had for the last year.  Card was way too long and not near spectacular enough to justify it.  I also don't like giving the belt to Balor though this was his best big match performance since last year.  Still I fear he's gonna get shoved down our throats hard and unlike Roman, he's less likely to deliver in the ring since he's so prone to cheesy, bad selling bullshit.  Hope they take it easy with him and maybe focus on pushing a lot of talent instead of going all in on guys like Roman and Balor.

Also hope they keep up the work with Dolph.  They made the right choice in having him lose but now they need to focus on working more and more with his character.  He can be salvaged but they can't let their ADD attention spans ignore him anymore.  Use this and build him back up.

Agree on most all of this. Styles/Cena was awesome, but it was also the exact nearfall-kickout-nearfall-kickout Cena formula match he always has, only done (in my opinion) about as well as you can do it. Many of the people I watched with thought it was repetitive to the point of being comical. I don't feel the same way, but it tells you that something wasn't working as intended that people (and not random geeks, either) felt it was self-parody. 

And i did dig the Lesnar stuff, probably because I was expecting the match to be bad bullshit, so the fact that it at least had a really memorable and interesting finish was enough to impress me. They shouldn't do them often, but TKO ref stoppages can be damn strong finishes to get both a monster heel and babyface over (see Zayn/Owens I). 

Omar was right in a way about Ziggler. The biggest issue is that, kinda like the Lesnar/Ambrose match, ironically enough, he never seemed to have Ambrose truly on the ropes. I do want to see another match, but justifying giving Ziggler another match after Ambrose had his way with him and not Styles is going to take creativity I'm not sure they have. You're going to need to make Dolph being tweenery in his own regard, refusing to accept the loss and becoming disruptive to the show. He still theoretically needs a high-profile win on TV to get the contendership, though, which is an issue since the roster doesn't have any top level guys they're going to be willing to put in that role. Maybe if they do Orton/Ziggler and play in that Orton has lingering injuries from the Lesnar match, Dolph exploits them, getting vicious, and gets the win. That'd actually be pretty great. 

I just think there's still a really compelling story to tell here. Think Orton/Christian, if Orton was an inmensely better promo and acted like more of a dick. 

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'm not gonna complain about the roster split because I've actually been happy with it so far but these are the types of major problems you run into when you cut your roster in half. Like if Sasha gets suspended, who is Charlotte supposed to face at the next pay-per-view? I believe their only choices are Summer Rae and Alicia Fox. They'd just have to leave Charlotte off TV until Paige comes back. I can't believe I'm saying this cause I was shitting all over the division a few weeks ago but now it seems like the SD women's division is actually stronger.

If Balor is hurt this is a devastating injury for the Universal title. The historic first champion goes down with an injury almost instantly and there will be a new champion after only a month. What a major blow to that title. Speaking of, I wish the title was blue. I understand red for Raw but I think a blue background would've looked nicer. It looks too much like the women's title.

This shoulder injury does make sense. You know how when Balor's music picks up the lights go bright and he raises both arms? Well last night after he won I think he was outside the ring near the announce tables and the music picked up and he raised his left arm to go along with the music but he didn't raise his right arm. It seemed weird to me cause he was holding the title. Why wouldn't he raise the arm holding the title as well? I didn't think much of it but now it makes sense that he possibly hurt that right shoulder and couldn't raise it.

Oh that belt is ugly as sin. I don't agree with the crowd shitting on the performers for it (even if Balor sucks and the match was only decent), but it really really sucks. The thing with a red WWE championship is that it feels completely temporary and disposable. It's a knockoff. Which, you know, I'm glad Dean is holding the more important title, but good luck getting anybody over with the crappy knockoff WWE title. 

37 minutes ago, Dylan said:

1. justifying giving Ziggler another match after Ambrose had his way with him and not Styles is going to take creativity I'm not sure they have.

2. Maybe if they do Orton/Ziggler and play in that Orton has lingering injuries from the Lesnar match, Dolph exploits them, getting vicious, and gets the win. That'd actually be pretty great.

1. Remember the #1 contenders match when Ziggler pinned AJ Styles of all people? Fucking Baron Corbin in the match and AJ eats the pin for some reason. Well there you go. They could work that into why Ziggler deserves a title match over Styles.

2. Fuck that. Ziggler has done good work over these past few weeks and I hope they continue to make him a valuable asset to SD but not at the expense of Orton, a guy you clearly view as no more than European title worthy. Orton has been great since returning and was made to look like a complete bitch last night. Getting TKO'd isn't like Austin passing out to the sharpshooter. It just looks like you lost a routine MMA fight. The only person Orton should be losing to for a while now is AJ Styles. No one else. They need to build him back up.

7 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Oh that belt is ugly as sin. I don't agree with the crowd shitting on the performers for it (even if Balor sucks and the match was only decent), but it really really sucks. The thing with a red WWE championship is that it feels completely temporary and disposable. It's a knockoff. Which, you know, I'm glad Dean is holding the more important title, but good luck getting anybody over with the crappy knockoff WWE title. 

Now that you say this, I wouldn't be surprised if WWE got the bright idea to make the WWE title blue. Not sure how they'd handle the belts switching brands in the future though with the red on SD and the blue on Raw.

16 minutes ago, Mike said:

1. Remember the #1 contenders match when Ziggler pinned AJ Styles of all people? Fucking Baron Corbin in the match and AJ eats the pin for some reason. Well there you go. They could work that into why AJ deserves a title match over Styles.

2. Fuck that. Ziggler has done good work over these past few weeks and I hope they continue to make him a valuable asset to SD but not at the expense of Orton, a guy you clearly view as no more than European title worthy. Orton has been great since returning and was made to look like a complete bitch last night. Getting TKO'd isn't like Austin passing out to the sharpshooter. It just looks like you lost a routine MMA fight. The only person Orton should be losing to for a while now is AJ Styles. No one else. They need to build him back up.

Orton is so far past his prime I have no clue why you're still so adamant on him getting pushed. He's been there/done that. And like Cena, he's forever over. He can take a loss to a world title contender.

And saying he looked like a bitch is complete overreaction. I could only wish they gave Ambrose that finish at Mania instead, would've told their story way better.

Summerslam weekend WWE rankings...

1. The Revival vs Tomasso Ciampa and Johnny Gargano
2. John Cena vs AJ Styles
3. Bayley vs Asuka
4. Samoa Joe vs Shinsuke Nakamura
5. Sasha Banks vs Charlotte
6. Austin Aries vs No Way Jose
7. Seth Rollins vs Finn Balor
8. Dean Ambrose vs Dolph Ziggler
9. JericKO vs Realest Guys
10. Brock Lesnar vs Randy Orton
11. The Miz vs Apollo Crews
12. Ember Moon vs Billie Kay
13. Bobby Roode vs Andrade "Cien" Almas
14. Lynch/Mella/Naomi vs Bella/Bliss/Nattie
15. The Club vs The New Day

I thought Summerslam had a more stacked card going in but I think NXT Takeover was pretty clearly and totally the better show.

Matt Riddle vs Timothy Thatcher was the best match of the weekend (and one of the very best of the year) but I wasn't going to include non-WWE matches.

Also to circle back around to the Ambrose argument for a second, what's this with he's "never EVER had a great match"? That's fucking absurd. While the reason he's so over is certainly primarily on his charisma and promos, another reason is absolutely that he's had several great matches. Against Rollins, against KO, against Triple H. I'm not even talking about his pre-WWE work, just the shit the crowd's seen. He's lacking that transcendent five-star classic or MOTY contender (I'd argue that his ladder match v Rollins was that, but not many agree), but so is the vast majority of the roster. I think that the rebound clothesline just makes Nixon go blind with rage so even when there's a really good match surrounding it he can't tell and defaults to thinking it sucks because of Ambrose. He's had much much better matches than the one on Sunday, so pointing at the match and saying "See, I told you, Ambrose sucks" is just not an argument.