Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

WWE SummerSlam

67 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Dylan said:

What is this in reference to? 

You criticized a move in the best match we've seen on a WWE card in a long ass time and then don't come in say anything at all about how awful Ambrose was in that match. Predictable, that's all.

That WWE title match was a huge disappointment. Weird cocky stuff by Ambrose the whole time. Very much like a heel. I thought his underestimating Ziggler might lead to Dolph getting the win. Crowd couldn't have cared less about that match.

14 minutes ago, Nixon said:

You criticized a move in the best match we've seen on a WWE card in a long ass time and then don't come in say anything at all about how awful Ambrose was in that match. Predictable, that's all.

How was he awful? Only thing he did wrong that jumped out at me was his obviously fake sell of the superkick. Great character work by both guys, some really cool sequences. I said Cena/Styles was great and openly expressed that Ambrose/Ziggler failed to meet my expectations. 

Also, could you be please be more condescending when we're talking about wrestling? I'd love that. 

7 minutes ago, Dylan said:

How was he awful? Only thing he did wrong that jumped out at me was his obviously fake sell of the superkick. Great character work by both guys, some really cool sequences. I said Cena/Styles was great and openly expressed that Ambrose/Ziggler failed to meet my expectations. 

Also, could you be please be more condescending when we're talking about wrestling? I'd love that. 

Coming from the guy that destroyed the Rhodes performance (which was 90000x better than Dean's tonight)? I'm not condescending to you. Generally I see eye to eye with you on guys even when it's against popular opinion (Balor in NXT for example), but I don't for the life of me get the love you have for Dean. Specifically when it comes to having good matches (or lack thereof for that matter).

34 minutes ago, Nixon said:

Coming from the guy that destroyed the Rhodes performance (which was 90000x better than Dean's tonight)? I'm not condescending to you. Generally I see eye to eye with you on guys even when it's against popular opinion (Balor in NXT for example), but I don't for the life of me get the love you have for Dean. Specifically when it comes to having good matches (or lack thereof for that matter).

I'm sorry, it's just that the "lol" and general tone of your responses really bother me. I feel like I have to get defensive. Maybe I'm just being sensitive. 

I don't see how he was "awful" in that match. I didn't think he was amazing or impervious to criticism. I think he had a couple sloppy spots (no surprise, he's more Punk than Rollins in the ring), and laid in his character work a bit thick. And while I liked the finish as a clever finishing sequence, it didn't gel with the story. The story was Ambrose lit a fire under Dolph's ass and Dolph was all serious, but Ambrose isn't taking him seriously and showing hubris, ultimately doing the things he called Dolph out for. There's nuance there. I like that. But the finish didn't really make sense with that story because Ambrose got cocky and didn't go for the pin, and that... directly led to him winning. It had issues. But again, I think that Styles/Cena was much much better and Rollins/Balor was a bit better. I do think they're capable of much better and want to see more. 

Also, I acknowledged that Rhodes may have been better than I felt. But he looked completely gassed and like he was doing his damndest to keep up in a match style he had never worked before. 

At any rate, I'm actually a big fan of that ending to the card. As a mark for Lesnar, they made him come across as a ruthless, mean, terrible son of a bitch and even I want to see him get his comeuppance after that shit. 

Yeah I actually dug that ending. And the Rusev/Reigns thing, if the idea was for Reigns to be a heel. If it wasn't, it was an abject failure, but it was still entertaining. 

It tells you what the state of WWE is that the fans took a shit on its world title matches (though they got into the Universal title match near the finish). 

Also, Lance Storm does not usually live the gimmick. He cracked me up multiple times throughout the show. My favorite moment of the show: JBL points out that Dolph is a two time WWE World champion. Lance: "I don't remember either of those reigns, and he's a friend of mine." 

I say usually because he was very very serious during the New Day ball stuff and the KFC ad. 

Worst JBL moment of the night was when he mentioned not once, but twice that AJ took that move from Cena where he has him on his shoulders and flips him into his knee. A move Cena has never even attempted in his career but JBL must have been confusing it for the AA.

The Universal title match got a lot better near the end. Surprised Balor win. I did terrible with my picks. Pretty good PPV.  Not as good as I thought it was going to be though.

51 minutes ago, Nixon said:

At any rate, I'm actually a big fan of that ending to the card. As a mark for Lesnar, they made him come across as a ruthless, mean, terrible son of a bitch and even I want to see him get his comeuppance after that shit. 

I really hated that ended. I wasn't expecting Goldberg but then when the match got called I thought there's no way that shitty match getting cut short will end the show. But when Shane came out I figured the completely obvious F5 was going to end the show, possibly setting up a pointless Lesnar vs. Shane match. Brock will never get his comeuppance. He'll continue to beat everyone and only lose due to shenanigans. If Brock has five matches a year, I figure he should win four of them and then lose one. But we don't even get that. He'll either win or lose due to shenanigans. The only two people that have benefitted from Lesnar losing were Cena and Triple H. Undertaker doesn't count because he cheated to win. People complain about the legendary Rock returning and winning when he damn well should win but no one complains when Brock is here semi-frequently and never puts anyone over. It makes his matches less interesting because it's obvious no one will ever beat him. His dominance is built up and there's never a payoff. I'm getting sick of Lesnar. Every match he just does 10 german suplexes and 2 F5s. It's the same old lazy routine. I can't remember the last time he had a real match with someone. And there's no need to. The crowd eats that shit up for some reason.

I'm gonna make a prediction right here...on Raw Sasha Banks will lose her rematch to Charlotte and then on Tuesday WWE will announce that she has been suspended for her first wellness violation.

At first I thought she was injured but then I thought that it doesn't make sense why she would be taken off house shows for just over 30 days. Why a month? They can't know exactly how long someone will need to recover. It's weird. And some insider said last week that more suspensions are likely and all of this makes it seem like she was spending a little too much time with Snoop to the D-O-double-G. Let the memes roll in.

Thats how you end your second biggest ppv? Lame! 

Damn who would have thought Cena would have had one of the best matches on the card in a awhile that we have seen? And he left the ring with some intrigue about him Too! 

AMbrose And Ziggler just didn't jive together. Finn and Rollins was good and im interested where they go with him a Champion. 

71246207.jpg

3 minutes ago, chicago_animal said:

Damn who would have thought Cena would have had one of the best matches on the card in a awhile that we have seen?

Cena has been a great wrestler since MITB 2011. That flip powerbomb thing he did tonight was awesome.

54 minutes ago, Mike said:

Worst JBL moment of the night was when he mentioned not once, but twice that AJ took that move from Cena where he has him on his shoulders and flips him into his knee. A move Cena has never even attempted in his career but JBL must have been confusing it for the AA.

The Universal title match got a lot better near the end. Surprised Balor win. I did terrible with my picks. Pretty good PPV.  Not as good as I thought it was going to be though.

I really hated that ended. I wasn't expecting Goldberg but then when the match got called I thought there's no way that shitty match getting cut short will end the show. But when Shane came out I figured the completely obvious F5 was going to end the show, possibly setting up a pointless Lesnar vs. Shane match. Brock will never get his comeuppance. He'll continue to beat everyone and only lose due to shenanigans. If Brock has five matches a year, I figure he should win four of them and then lose one. But we don't even get that. He'll either win or lose due to shenanigans. The only two people that have benefitted from Lesnar losing were Cena and Triple H. Undertaker doesn't count because he cheated to win. People complain about the legendary Rock returning and winning when he damn well should win but no one complains when Brock is here semi-frequently and never puts anyone over. It makes his matches less interesting because it's obvious no one will ever beat him. His dominance is built up and there's never a payoff. I'm getting sick of Lesnar. Every match he just does 10 german suplexes and 2 F5s. It's the same old lazy routine. I can't remember the last time he had a real match with someone. And there's no need to. The crowd eats that shit up for some reason.

Well, the idea is that Brock is eventually going to put somebody over. He's still an asset to the company and not doing a one-off appearance. The Rock beating CM Punk didn't really help anyone or lead to anything, and it was pretty clear when it happened that it never would. Maybe Lesnar's going to go forever without getting beat, then that would suck, but people assume he'll lose eventually. At this rate, maybe it'll be Finn Balor who seems to give Vince an erection times larger than the one Roman gave him. 

And backing up Nix that the main event was just what it should've been. The match wasn't any worse than I thought it would be, it got good when Lesnar started beating the shit out of Orton and it was a way better ending than Orton taking a pin after two or three F5s would've been. Lesnar being a mean scary son of a bitch again is good. 

And Nixon, while I find your anti-smark crowd attitude to generally be grating, you were correct about them tonight. Made Cena/Styles even better, but couldn't be asked to do shit for Ambrose and Ziggler, and were busy amusing themselves for Rollins/Balor. 

Calling now that Balor is going to eat serious backlash if he doesn't turn heel soon. Announcing him as "The Demon... Kiiing!" and not even saying his name was so damn stupid. They're going to force this guy so hard that it'll be impossible for the audience not to reject it. 

Not like I'm complaining but it's kinda weird that Wyatt was totally absent from this PPV. He beat the New Day a month ago and then is nowhere to be found at SummerSlam. WWE should consider having him and Rowan as a tag team to help the piss poor tag division on SD that consists of American Alpha, the past their prime Usos and then 11 jobber teams. And then when Wyatt is needed in a singles feud they can just have him do that for a little while.

2 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Announcing him as "The Demon... Kiiing!" and not even saying his name was so damn stupid.

They did say his name. He was referred to as Finn Balor the Demon King. It was very stupid that his Enchantress alter ego has its own name. I'd be okay with a heel turn. You can talk about SD needing help but Raw is way worse in the main eventer department. And worse now with KO being wasted in what appears to be a permanent tag team.

Speaking of turns, I hope they're not turning AJ face. Cena's shocked look while AJ refused to stay down seemed like a face thing. I want Ambrose to beat new opponents at the next two PPVs and then AJ takes the title at Survivor Series and has it until WrestleMania.

4 minutes ago, Mike said:

Not like I'm complaining but it's kinda weird that Wyatt was totally absent from this PPV. He beat the New Day a month ago and then is nowhere to be found at SummerSlam. WWE should consider having him and Rowan as a tag team to help the piss poor tag division on SD that consists of American Alpha, the past their prime Usos and then 11 jobber teams. And then when Wyatt is needed in a singles feud they can just have him do that for a little while.

Zayn was an even more egregious exclusion. Dude had a career-high victory in a MOTY contender one month and is preshowing against the Dudleys. Wyatt's at least had shit to do on TV, they just didn't have a match for him. 

They need to pay off this Ziggler feud in a more satisfying fashion before the Styles feud. It's going to be weird if Dean goes from this intriguing tweener character who walks through Ziggler to being a straight face against Styles having gotten no comeuppance or lesson learned. Even if it only leads to him going more heelish and doing Ambrose/Styles as a tweener/tweener feud, which works anyway because the crowd is going to rightly pop their asses off for Styles winning the title. Better to steer into it than have the crowd losing their minds when the top babyface of the people loses the title he worked so hard for. 

Styles beating Cena is my favorite wrestling moment since Punk beat Cena in 2011, other than that, I thought tonight was super meh. I won't get too into since I see a lot of how I felt was covered already, but I'll get a super quick summary of things that stood out:

1. I really don't like Finn Balor. And I don't understand why the stupid ass interview community can get behind this guy but shit on Roman Reigns. Is it because Reigns didn't fight in the indies or something? Not that it should matter because Reigns is better than Balor.

2. They made Ziggler look super weak. I keep reading Ruiner say he wants more Zigger and Ambrose, but I don't know how people are gonna take Ziggler as a serious threat anymore. Also, I still don't really like Ambrose.

3. The main event felt like a waste of time. I love Lesnar but his matches have gotten really stale. Suplex suplex suplex suplex. Ok we get it. He can't even make them look cool like Benoit and do like 3 at a time or something? Also, good to know that a DQ for any other wrestler is a TKO win for Lesnar. That makes sense. 

4. I think I accidentally skipped over Reigns and Rusev as I was fast forwarding to stuff. Whoops.

Also I understand wanting to make your midcard titles look more credible but putting the US Title match after BOTH world championships?  Way to make it abundantly clear that we haven't given up on the Roman Reigns experiment.  Dude is still getting pushed hard.

Styles/Cena was aces (best match in a long time though?  C'mon, Zayn/Owens was LAST MONTH), the two World Title matches were fine but unspectacular and ruined by a mostly dead crowd, the tag opener was fun, both women's matches were sloppy (Sasha is apparently hurt so there you go), and the main event was the same shitty boring match that Brock's had for the last year.  Card was way too long and not near spectacular enough to justify it.  I also don't like giving the belt to Balor though this was his best big match performance since last year.  Still I fear he's gonna get shoved down our throats hard and unlike Roman, he's less likely to deliver in the ring since he's so prone to cheesy, bad selling bullshit.  Hope they take it easy with him and maybe focus on pushing a lot of talent instead of going all in on guys like Roman and Balor.

Also hope they keep up the work with Dolph.  They made the right choice in having him lose but now they need to focus on working more and more with his character.  He can be salvaged but they can't let their ADD attention spans ignore him anymore.  Use this and build him back up.

6 hours ago, Omar said:

1. I really don't like Finn Balor. And I don't understand why the stupid ass interview community can get behind this guy but shit on Roman Reigns. Is it because Reigns didn't fight in the indies or something?

4. I think I accidentally skipped over Reigns and Rusev as I was fast forwarding to stuff. Whoops.

1. The internet fans don't have a mind of their own. They're like a hive mind. Instead of just liking who they personally like, they all meet up on forums and determine who it is acceptable to cheer for. They loved Ziggler and then when he wasn't going anywhere for a long time they stop caring because it wasn't the trendy smart fan thing to do anymore to root for him. They loved Reigns when he was in the Shield but once he was on his own they boo him because he's wasn't the up-and-comer anymore and had finally arrived at the main event. They'll boo the consistently terrific John Cena but they'll overrate any random crappy women's match. They'll chant "Husky Harris" and try to sabotage Bray Wyatt's debut but then a few months later they'll all praise his mic work. They'll boo the Rock who returns to WWE from time to time because he loves wrestling but they'll chant "CM Punk" in honor of a man who walked out on wrestling and has only talked bad about it since. I could go on and on about these people.

4. They didn't even wrestle. Reigns attacked him before the match and refs broke it up and it never got started. I wasn't surprised about this at all. When they had a really long match on Raw, I kinda had a feeling something was up with their PPV match and with 10 matches on the card it didn't surprise me that the U.S. title match was the one to go.

I think my least favorite thing I've ever seen the crowd do was after Survivor Series in MSG went off the air and the Rock was in the ring following his first WWE match in many years and instead of getting a standing ovation for ten minutes like he deserved the New York assholes were chanting for Zack Ryder. Now they wouldn't piss on Ryder if was on fire but back then they chant for the guy over the returning legend. What a fucking joke.

Well you could say that Reigns was cheered when he was with the Shield cause if his association with the Shield. Nobody cared to see him on his own. Kinda like how the NWO could get anyone over by them being a member. 

7 minutes ago, chicago_animal said:

Kinda like how the NWO could get anyone over by them being a member. 

I beg to differ. X-Pac couldn't get over if Shawn Michaels came out of retirement to wrestle him.

7 minutes ago, chicago_animal said:

Well you could say that Reigns was cheered when he was with the Shield cause if his association with the Shield.  Nobody cared to see him on his own.

He contributed in the Shield. He was a promising young prospect that was improving in the ring. Then when he went on his own they instantly started booing him. They were already booing him way back when he won the Royal Rumble before his push even got started. They didn't even give him a chance. Me personally, as someone who doesn't associate himself with the IWC #stupididiots, I didn't give up on Reigns until the AJ matches weren't as good as I thought. It took over a year of anticipated matches that were disappointments before I finally gave up on the guy. And even now, I admitted just a few days ago that I enjoyed his match with Rusev last week. The internet fans would never dare admit they enjoyed a match with Reigns even if it was the best match ever.