Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pen

Mobile Gaming

24 posts in this topic

So after Pokemon Go piqued my interest, I decided to check out the world of mobile gaming to see what it had to offer, and so far I'm finding some really cool games out there.

• Pokemon Shuffle: This is the first one that caught my attention and it's a nice matching puzzler with the hook being that each level you beat nets you the chance to catch the Pokemon of that level for use in later stages. There's lots of content like special stages and harder difficulty matches and it seems to have a fairly deep system with simple execution. My one complaint is that every time you play a level, win or lose, you lose one heart and when you lose all your hearts, you either have to wait for hearts to refill (which takes 30 minutes I think) or you have to buy more. It sucks because it's a fun game but this limits the time I can spend with it to short bursts. I'd gladly pay for a version that doesn't have me doing that but I imagine they get more money the other way.

• Layton Brothers: Mystery Room: This is the Phoenix Wright game I never knew I wanted, and I say that because even though it technically involves Layton's son, it seems to run a little darker plotwise and the gameplay is way more reminiscent of Phoenix than Layton, as there are no puzzles to be found but there is a whole lot of investigation, evidence gathering, and crime solving. The intro and first two cases are free but the remaining six cases are in two packs that together will run you $5. Way worth every dollar and I'm excited to play through the whole game.

• Pocket Mortys: I saw this game played by Achievement Hunter so I already knew it was a good get, but basically it's a spoof of Pokemon but in the Rick And Morty universe. Instead of Pokecritters, you get different versions of Morty. Everything else seems pretty much the same, and I like the bent kind of style the game goes for. Haven't played much beyond what Achievement Hunter got to but I'm interested to see what's next.

• Rayman Adventures: This game is the best endless runner I've ever played, basically taking the idea of an endless runner and applying it to the platforming havoc of Rayman games. Stages involve you either collecting lums, freeing Teensies, defeating enemies, or beating a time trial in order to win gems that can be used to purchase items (real world cash can be used as well in a pinch, but I haven't had to do that yet for any reason). Aiding you in these endeavors are little gumball-shaped furry creatures with different effects. Some protect you from damage, some vacuum up lums, some help you locate secrets. It's a really fun game and although the endless runner aspect can make the gameplay somewhat frenetic at times, it hasn't gotten frustrating to me; just made me want to try again and do better.

• Final Fantasy: Brave Exius: I'm digging this game so far but I'm not entirely sure of the longevity. The plot so far seems pretty bare bones (save the crystals and the world from eeeeevil) and the gameplay seems to just consist of going through battle after battle. There is a town to explore but so far I haven't seen any dungeon crawling and there only seem to be two main characters, with the remainder of your party being filled out by "visions", which is another term for "characters from other FF games that have nostalgia factor but no actual bearing on the plot". Still, so far it's entertaining me and I'm not expecting something on main series level. We'll see if it continues to enthrall me.

• Kingdom Hearts X Unchained: This seems similar to Brave Exius but a little more involved. Your main character seems like just an avatar and I think the plot for this game might have something to do with the Keyblade Wars cause the idea seems to be that you and other players are working together to build your skills and fight the darkness. Meanwhile, gameplay is pretty much you choosing a mission, running around a small play area battling enemies and picking up items, and then moving on to the next little story bit. Actually, kind of resembles 365/2 Days in that aspect. The combat is extremely simplified and mostly just involves swiping enemies. If there's more to it, I haven't seen it yet, but then again I'm only in the first Disney world now, which is Snow White. Even still, it seems a little more compelling than Brave Exius plotwise so I'm willing to keep going with it and see where it takes me. Plus I loves me some Kingdom Hearts. Loves!

• Marvel Future Fight: I find myself really enjoying this game from a fanboy level since I can recruit pretty much the entire goddamn Marvel universe to my team, but I will say this: the amount of customization and expansion you can do for each character seems way too complicated for core gameplay that basically involves you running around small "stages" fighting the baddies, beating a boss, and moving on to the next mission. I also find they've given me way too much bonus stuff to power up my initial characters as so far nothing has been a challenge for me. I don't know if that's deliberate for some reason. That being said, there appears to be a lot to do in the game besides story missions, much of which I haven't unlocked yet. There also seem to be special missions that are done from time to time to keep things interesting, as I just did one based around the New Avengers. It's a lot more fun in execution than it sounds on paper, and I'm interested to unlock the rest of the game to see what else it holds for me.

Anyway, the point of this post wasn't so much to review my experiences (but you got that anyway), but to ask if anyone has any other recommendations for mobile games that I should check out? I'm considering buying Adventures Of Mana and Final Fantasy Tactics as well as getting Ghost Trick since it's free and maybe Marvel Puzzle Quest, but does anyone know anything fun and interesting I should be exploring?

3 minutes ago, pen said:

Rayman Adventures

Normally I don't pay any attention to mobile games but I actually just downloaded this a few days ago. There is a Rayman game I played on my iPad a while back (Fiesta Run or Jungle Run) and it was actually really fun. The controls are so simple with console Rayman that it makes a very smooth transition to mobile and the mobile version still feels like the console version.

Ubisoft needs to take a break from making 46 open-world games a year and make another Rayman game. They're wasting the talented developers of Beyond Good & Evil, Rayman Legends and Valiant Hearts on a stupid Ghost Recon game.

Ive been playing Marvel Future Fight since last year so I can give you some tips if you want. 1st tip is spend your crystals on uniforms and get them when they have sales. Dont just get any uniforms, get the ones that add useful effects like Loki's or Kingpin's which basically changes him into a more powerful characters.

Dont rank up characters just because you like them, you need to rank up the stronger ones so it makes the game easier for you and helps you beat the very tough World Boss mode. Characters you should rank up are Loki, Sharon Rodgers, Hulkbuster, Silk, Carnage, Hyperion,Wasp, Ant-Man and I cant remember who else.

If you like platformers you should check out Star Knight, Super Phantom Cat, and Goo Saga.Goo Saga was 5 bucks but I got it on sale when it was 99 cents. Star Knight I got on sale as well.

On 9/5/2016 at 11:17 PM, DarkDragon said:

Ive been playing Marvel Future Fight since last year so I can give you some tips if you want. 1st tip is spend your crystals on uniforms and get them when they have sales. Dont just get any uniforms, get the ones that add useful effects like Loki's or Kingpin's which basically changes him into a more powerful characters.

Dont rank up characters just because you like them, you need to rank up the stronger ones so it makes the game easier for you and helps you beat the very tough World Boss mode. Characters you should rank up are Loki, Sharon Rodgers, Hulkbuster, Silk, Carnage, Hyperion,Wasp, Ant-Man and I cant remember who else.

First, thank you for the advice as I didn't realize uniforms had any purpose other than changing the look of the characters. I also understand your point about ranking up characters but I have a lot of content before I start needing that so for now I'm just sticking with my team of Hulk, Iron Man, and Spider-Man (and building up Iron Fist in "A Hero's Journey"). That being said, I'm kind of burnt out on the game already. I pretty much login just to get resources and claim gifts and move on. I will probably return to it at some point, but right now other games have my attention.

While I'm on this topic, I figure I'll take this time to offer a status report for those who wish to know. I was going to do this game by game but I noticed my thoughts were overlapping and it was running long, so I'll break this down by collective group instead.

Of the games I mentioned in my original post, I beat Layton Bros. (looking forward to Lady Layton next year) and I still play Pokemon Shuffle regularly. The rest I've kind of put on pause while I scope out other games, but I still recommend them all and I will come back to them. One note for Brave Exvius is that since I last posted I learned that you can indeed explore dungeons just like towns but only after completing the story-based battles first, which unlocks a free-roam sort of mode where you can collect treasure and fight random battles like any other FF game. I approve of this decision because it means I can cut through the story when I want to and go back later to explore when I feel the urge.

On the subject of Square-Enix, I've also started playing a 3D FF game called Mobius Final Fantasy that seems to also be battle-based. The effects are pretty impressive for a mobile game, but I'm wondering how deep the story is. So far it seems like the core story is about a bunch of nobodies being weeded out to find "the Chosen One". I have read that the story content for this game may be rolled out over time, which irks me because I hate waiting, but we'll see. Beyond that, still planning to get Adventures Of Mana and Final Fantasy Tactics when I have the money, but I'm also intrigued by the amount of mobile-exclusive FF games that seem to be out there. Besides Brave Exvius and Mobius, there's also All The Bravest, Record Keeper, and Dimensions. I'll probably check them all out eventually and see if any of them are worth a toss.

On the subject of classic gaming, I'm pretty happy to have found that Scribblenauts is on Android in Remix format and both Touch Detective games are available in a similar setup to Layton Bros. in that they are free to start and you pay to unlock the remaining chapters. Loved those games on the Nintendo DS and I'm eager to play them again on my phone. I also picked up Pac-Man for some nostalgia, but the touchscreen controls are not always responsive which makes playing a twitch game like Pac-Man more difficult than necessary. I may not keep that one.

On the subject of Match-3 style games, I downloaded Marvel Puzzle Quest and reminded myself why I ended up removing it from my PC. Besides a steep difficulty curve, I just find Match-3 mechanics to be dull and boring without anything to give it a shine. Especially so after playing Pokemon Shuffle so much, since Shuffle lets you pull pieces from anywhere and move them to make matches, which is both simpler to navigate and allows for more complex and creative chain reactions. I did try two other games that did something similar: Puzzle And Dragons I had heard about time and again and it has similar mechanics to Shuffle, but I feel like it's the kind of game that will be fun initially and wane on me over time as there's no story or end goal to keep me motivated. A better game is Good Knight Story, which has you matching items by drawing a line through them, and that line can go diagonal as well. It has a set number of stages so I feel like I'm progressing and it has hidden achievements to hunt for as well, and the dialogue is amusing.

On the subject of endless runners, besides the best goddamn endless runner in Rayman Adventures, I've also played Sonic Dash and Temple Run 2, and I favor the former for a big reason. In Temple Dash 2, you use left and right swipes to turn corners and tilt the phone to move left and right. This is not always responsive, which means my guy went flying off ledges and bridges a bunch. Sonic Dash on the other hand foregoes the whole turning thing and just has swipes move you left and right, which feels a lot more natural if not less frenetic. It's fairly engrossing but I don't know if it'll keep my interest. I know there's a Sonic Dash 2 and I hear there's a side-scrolling Sonic runner as well, so I may give those a look and see if they are better. I removed Temple Run 2. I also know there are other Rayman games, so I will probably give those a look as well in the future.

On the subject of idle/resource-management games, I have played three that are currently vying for my attention. One is Fallout Shelter, which I was bound to get to at some point. The other two are Tinker Island and Virtual Beggar. I will say this for all games of this type; they are fun, but waiting is a drag, and even more so knowing that I can skip the wait by using real world money. I've learned to do as much as I can when I'm able, especially in Tinker Island, which is a game about survivors of a shipwreck on a desert island. It costs time and resources to build structures, explore areas, and do pretty much anything, so I start with the smallest items and do as much as possible before sending anyone on a long journey or to build a demanding structure. Fallout Shelter had a bit of a learning curve as I learned to not build outside my means as you really do need to understand how what you build affects your resources, but I think I've hit a sweet spot as I've gotten a hang of the mechanics. I now have 21 inhabitants, 3 of which were born in the shelter, and my resources are being produced swimmingly. I've started sending people into the wasteland on quests and I just built a radio station to lure in more potential dwellers. I'm pretty excited. Finally, a note on Virtual Beggar, which starts about you being said beggar and tapping the screen to throw coins but turns into you buying office space, hiring workers, upping their productivity, and getting power-ups all in the name of giving you more ability to beg. I recently bought a motel just so I could stand outside it and beg for more money. That's the kind of ludicrousness I like in a game.

Beyond all that, I also downloaded Zenonia 4 because I heard the Zenonia series is the closest you can get to a Zelda game on Android but unfortunately the first three games are incompatible with the latest version so they are no longer available. I am hoping that won't hinder my understanding of the plot as 4 appears to pick up on threads from the first game, but so far it seems fine. I haven't played it much yet but it feels like a standard action-RPG. If all goes well, there are two other entries on the App Store for me to enjoy as well.

All this mobile gaming exploration has made me excited as I feel like I'm getting into this at the right time. Not just with Nintendo announcing Mario and Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing, but it seems like a lot of companies are starting to bring better games over to mobile or look for ways to do so. Square I've read has a couple of RPGs in the works and there's the aforementioned Lady Layton from Level-5. It just feels like we're on the cusp of mobile gaming being at the very least compatible to handhelds in general. I'm really starting to think of my phone just like any other gaming platform, and I never thought I'd get there.

As for future titles to explore, besides the ones I mentioned above, I also might use this opportunity to explore Minecraft as there's a Pocket Edition for Android. I also want to check out the Go series from Eidos AKA Hitman Go, Lara Croft Go, and Deus Ex Go. There's also a game called Monument Valley that I've heard good things about. Apparently that game was used as a plot point in House Of Cards. 

Anyway, I hope this entertained somebody. If nothing else it felt good for me to type all this out. Anyone been playing anything mobile and got any recommendations?

On 9/5/2016 at 11:18 PM, DarkDragon said:

If you like platformers you should check out Star Knight, Super Phantom Cat, and Goo Saga.Goo Saga was 5 bucks but I got it on sale when it was 99 cents. Star Knight I got on sale as well.

I will give those a look and thank you for the recommendations, but I'm trying to stick to free-to-play games for the moment.

Actually the closest you can get to Zelda would be Across Age DX and the sequel Across Age 2. They let you play some of them for free before they ask you to purchase ($3 I think) .The sequel is better and has more content but you need to play both because the stories are connected.

3 hours ago, pen said:

I will give those a look and thank you for the recommendations, but I'm trying to stick to free-to-play games for the moment.

Super Phantom Cat is free. You just pay to unlock an extra level and to unlock all the character skins which you can unlock manually through playing. There's also Paper Monsters and its 'upgrade' Paper Monsters Recut for free (paid version has no ads) but they are on Steam and Wii U as well but not free on those.

I've been playing Soda Dungeon it's an old school turn based RPG.  There's not much depth to the story.  You're basically fighting evil monsters in a dungeon with your group of fighters, mages, thieves, healers, Knights, etc. You have to build up the local tavern and buy sodas to attract the other fighters to the area.  It's not the greatest game, but it's free and entertaining. 

The side scrolling Sonic is far superior in my opinion.  Maddeningly fun.  Endless runners are the types of phone games I most get into.  Played a ton of Spider-Man Unlimited before all the updates borked it.

I decided to boot up Sonic Runners for the first time in a bit and it turns out the game is shut down.  So I guess that's another of my favorites gone by the wayside.

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

I decided to boot up Sonic Runners for the first time in a bit and it turns out the game is shut down.  So I guess that's another of my favorites gone by the wayside.

Yeah, I looked that up and I was real disappointed.

Progress report!

13 hours ago, DarkDragon said:

Super Phantom Cat is free. You just pay to unlock an extra level and to unlock all the character skins which you can unlock manually through playing. There's also Paper Monsters and its 'upgrade' Paper Monsters Recut for free (paid version has no ads) but they are on Steam and Wii U as well but not free on those.

I tried out Super Phantom Cat and it seems entertaining and easy to control, which I'm finding is a big plus when it comes to these mobile games. Thank you for the recommendation. 

I also tried Paper Monsters Recut and disliked it because of the control scheme it has, where it has you tapping portions of the screen to move left, right, and jump, but doesn't designate where each portion ends or begins, so I found myself jumping straight up in the air a lot and dying. Frustrating, so I deleted it.

13 hours ago, DarkDragon said:

Actually the closest you can get to Zelda would be Across Age DX and the sequel Across Age 2. They let you play some of them for free before they ask you to purchase ($3 I think) .The sequel is better and has more content but you need to play both because the stories are connected.

Thanks for this as well. I downloaded Across Age DX and it reminds me a lot of Mana more than Zelda, but then again Zenonia makes me think more of Mana too. I've only played a little bit but it seems entertaining. I stopped at the Cave Of Trials where the hero talks about how he might be able to throw his partner across gaps, much to her dismay.

13 hours ago, Tilley said:

I've been playing Soda Dungeon it's an old school turn based RPG.  There's not much depth to the story.  You're basically fighting evil monsters in a dungeon with your group of fighters, mages, thieves, healers, Knights, etc. You have to build up the local tavern and buy sodas to attract the other fighters to the area.  It's not the greatest game, but it's free and entertaining. 

I checked this out and I'm digging it. It's simple and irreverent but seems like it has depth to the concept. I like the idea that I'm sending these bozos out to be killed so I can take their money. I get the same feeling from this that I do from Fallout Shelter and Tinker Island, so I'll probably be spending a lot of time with this.

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

The side scrolling Sonic is far superior in my opinion.  Maddeningly fun.  Endless runners are the types of phone games I most get into.  Played a ton of Spider-Man Unlimited before all the updates borked it.

Spider-Man Unlimited is another game I just checked out today and I'm finding that I dig the concept and the levels are designed to make it seem like more than just an endless runner, which I appreciate. The webslinging, wall-crawling, and free-falling segments break up the running. It seems more intuitive than Sonic Dash or Temple Run. I have to ask though, what borked the game for you?

I have also checked out some other games, and this time I'll break them up by game.

Batman: Arkham Origins - I'm not totally used to the control scheme yet of alternating between taps and swipes, but it doesn't seem to be deterring me so far. It's not nearly as fun as the actual Batman games but it's a nice enough diversion and it looks great. I'm glad they at least tried to bring the elements of the Arkham games into a mobile setting, although I honestly would've preferred an original story rather than apeing the core of the Origins plotline.

Lara Croft: Relic Run - This feels like Temple Run done a million times better. It might be my imagination but Lara feels like she moves slower than the Temple guy, and that makes it easier to navigate the corridors. Also, thank God they don't have you tilting to move left and right. I also like that the running is broken up just like in Spider-Man Unlimited, with shooting segments and little parkour bits. I also like that it's broken into levels with a plot and an endgame. I like goals in my games.

Run Sackboy Run - Starring the LittleBigPlanet dude. Even though it's a standard side-scrolling endless runner, it's winning me over solely because of the presentation. Sometimes just looking prettier can net bonus points in my book.

Dash Quest - An overhead-view endless scroller. Your knight runs upward forever more and you tap the left side to block shots and right side to attack, with some other bits thrown in. It's pretty fun, and it's a standard levels with boss fights setup so again, goals. I like to have an end game. I also like the cartoony art style. It's just well made.

Swordigo: I had heard this game brought up several times on the internet and after playing it I understand why. It's a side-scrolling Metroidvania with RPG elements and the style reminds me a bit of Mystical Ninja from the N64 days. 

Peggle Blast: I saw a video once of Achievement Hunter playing Peggle 2 and I always wanted to have a version of it somewhere. Now I have it on my phone, and it's every bit as addicting and rewarding as I thought it would be.

Final Fantasy stuff: So as I said above, beyond Mobius and Brave Exvius, there's a bunch of other mobile-only FF games. I have not tried Dimensions as it costs money, but I have tried All The Bravest and Record Keeper. All The Bravest sucks. Whereas the other titles at least try to make their games about more than just battles, All The Bravest offers no illusions. It's all just tap tap tap tap until the enemy is gone. It is annoying and tiring. Record Keeper on the other hand weaves a yarn where you play through classic battles in other FF games to "preserve their records" in a story within a story sort of sense. Seems pretty interesting. I'm willing to keep playing and see if it has something special to offer.

Tales Of Link: An offering in the Tales series, Tales Of Link is sadly not about a Hyrulian warrior named Link, but a reference to the way you battle in the game. Similar to Good Knight Story, you have a grid of soldiers and you draw a line through all the matching colors to set up attacks. Soldiers can include characters from previous Tales games, and there's an overarching story tying it all together. One thing I like about mobile games is how it seems to force developers to think outside the box with what they present to stand out among all the clones. 

Machine Knight: Speaking of clones, Kemco has apparently been quietly pumping out 16-bit style RPGs on mobile phones for a few years now. I tried one called Alphadia Genesis when it showed up on Steam and found it to be decent enough. I'm trying one of their free ones on mobile now called Machine Knight, and so far it seems kind of like it came off the conveyer belt, but I'm willing to stick with it and see where it goes. I do like that instead of the in-game control stick that most games seem to be using, it just lets you click anywhere on your phone and the character walks to that point. It's just a much better approach that I wish more games would take.

Terra Battle: I saw this came from Mistwalker, the gang responsible for the Blue Dragon series and The Last Story. So far it seems like it foregoes story for the combat, but the combat is interesting. You have a grid where you take turns moving your army pieces around to surround enemies. Kind of makes the combat more like a puzzle game, if that makes sense. Not sure how long my interest will last though if there's no story to keep me engaged.

Anyway, for those keeping score at home, that makes my current library the following:

Across Age DX
Batman: Arkham Origins
Dash Quest
Fallout Shelter
Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius
Final Fantasy: Record Keeper
Good Knight Story
Kingdom Hearts Unchained X
Lara Croft: Relic Run
Layton Bros.: Mystery Room (currently removed since I beat it)
Machine Knight
Marvel Future Fight
Mobius Final Fantasy
Pac-Man
Peggle Blast
Pocket Mortys
Pokemon Go
Pokemon Shuffle Mobile
Puzzle & Dragons
Rayman Adventures
Run Sackboy Run
Scribblenauts Remix
Soda Dungeon
Sonic Dash
Sonic Dash 2
Spider-Man Unlimited
Super Phantom Cat
Swordigo
Tales Of Link
Terra Battle
Tinker Island
Touch Detective
Touch Detective 2 1/2
Virtual Beggar
Zenonia 4

Not a bad roster. I think I'll take time now to actually beat some of those games as I think I'm reaching the point where the next games I check out would cost me money to explore.

I'll also add that I'm starting to wonder if something's wrong with my phone's screen, because I'm having problems in a bunch of games with swipes registering correctly, like in Spider-Man Unlimited and other runner games, so I'll end up bashing my head when I thought I was safe. I'm wondering if the problem is on my end and not with the games.

After a series of updates, SMU was no longer registering my phone tilts which made it impossible to beat certain sections.  It may be fixed now and even if it's not for me it doesn't seem to be a widespread problem.  I definitely recommend it as long as it works well for you, it's my favorite runner by far.  So full of fun Spidey lore and really intuitive and addictive.

Swordigo is really good and probably my favorite mobile game ever. Its a shame it never got a sequel. I never beat it because towards the end there's some really frustrating platform jumps that I wasnt able to finish.

http://toucharcade.com/2016/09/08/dan-the-man-release-date/

Yes that link is an Ipad/iphone game site but the game is also on Android. Just downloaded this today. Its free and the paid version gets rid of the ads and gives you more coins. Its a platformer/beat em up with different characters to play as. You have an attack and a jump button and you can do jump kicks and throws and stuff. There's also another button where you can pick up and use guns, knives, ninja stars etc. Control is pretty tight. I would say the only criticism so far is the first level was so long and went on forever and I couldnt even finish it.

Found another rpg that’s enjoyable it’s called Wizard’s Wheel.  I’ve had some down time lately so I’ve been able to kill some time with this one. 

Hmmm I played that one for like 5 min. and didn't like it. It seemed the battles wouldnt end and kept going.

If you like action RPGs I recommend Djnn Caster. There's a free version but I think they only let you play for limited times so I would get the paid version that gives you 150 free pts to get some iaps. Plus its not hard to get more of them during the game. 

I've also been playing Super Phantom Cat 2. Its like the first one with more stuff added like characters. Still no bosses though. Its free and has ads but the iaps aren't really necessary. As with any platformer on mobile controls can be an issue.

Picked up this one as well. Came out on Android almost a year after its been on Steam. Its only 2.49 and the Steam one is 10.99 so sounds like a steal to me. Controls for touch aren't bad either. A little erratic and chaotic but at least you don't have lots of platform jumping. It's a nice side scrolling hack n slash with with nice graphics.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/553640/ICEY/