Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

No Man's Sky

50 posts in this topic

Helpful tip I found online to travel quicker. When sprinting press the melee button and then immediately hold X and your jet pack will let you travel forward really quickly. Saves some time. Try not to die, though. 

This may not be the intended way to play but I think it's an effective way to play...instead of landing and wandering around for a while and then having to walk back to your ship, lately I've just been flying my ship really low to look for different things like ruins or outposts and then I land when there's something I see. I'll do what I have to do and then I'll get in my ship and continue on. The only material you need to do this is plutonium which is for the launch thrusters. I always make sure I have a ton of plutonium. This is a very quick way to find a lot of stuff you need on a planet.

Ruiner, do you have an Atlas Pass yet? I looked at a guide online and they said that you'll eventually come across a monolith that will direct you towards a space station that will give you the stuff you need to craft an atlas pass but I haven't found it yet. I'm on my six planet or so but still no pass. Most of my time playing tonight was searching for monoliths.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

This may not be the intended way to play but I think it's an effective way to play...instead of landing and wandering around for a while and then having to walk back to your ship, lately I've just been flying my ship really low to look for different things like ruins or outposts and then I land when there's something I see. I'll do what I have to do and then I'll get in my ship and continue on. The only material you need to do this is plutonium which is for the launch thrusters. I always make sure I have a ton of plutonium. This is a very quick way to find a lot of stuff you need on a planet.

This is what I do as well. Most of the time you can see the shelters, drops, monoliths, etc. from the sky, so it works out pretty well. You can also see the good minerals. 

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

Ruiner, do you have an Atlas Pass yet? I looked at a guide online and they said that you'll eventually come across a monolith that will direct you towards a space station that will give you the stuff you need to craft an atlas pass but I haven't found it yet. I'm on my six planet or so but still no pass. Most of my time playing tonight was searching for monoliths.

No AtlasPass or any clue when I'll get one. I'm on my fourth or so system.

6 minutes ago, Dylan said:

No AtlasPass or any clue when I'll get one. I'm on my fourth or so system.

Did you choose the atlas path near the beginning of the game? If you didn't it becomes tougher to get one. I did choose that path.

56 minutes ago, Mike said:

Did you choose the atlas path near the beginning of the game? If you didn't it becomes tougher to get one. I did choose that path.

I chose the "spurn" option, which ever that was.

So I discovered a planet that has this thing called sac venom on it. When you shoot it you instantly get 3 stars on your wanted level. I wasn't sure why. Then I found out why. You get about 26,000 credits for one of these things. This planet is littered with them and it takes two seconds to destroy one of them. I've just been going around shooting a few, racing back to my ship, flying away to lose the wanted level, rinse and repeat. I've made a ton of money. I recently bought a new multi-tool for about 1 million and I still have 1.4 million left. I'm gonna farm the fuck out of this planet before I leave. I'll make sure I never need money ever again before I leave for good. I named the planet $$$ so anyone who stumbles upon it knows that it's in their best interest to land there.

20 minutes ago, Mike said:

So I discovered a planet that has this thing called sac venom on it. When you shoot it you instantly get 3 stars on your wanted level. I wasn't sure why. Then I found out why. You get about 26,000 credits for one of these things. This planet is littered with them and it takes two seconds to destroy one of them. I've just been going around shooting a few, racing back to my ship, flying away to lose the wanted level, rinse and repeat. I've made a ton of money. I recently bought a new multi-tool for about 1 million and I still have 1.4 million left. I'm gonna farm the fuck out of this planet before I leave. I'll make sure I never need money ever again before I leave for good. I named the planet $$$ so anyone who stumbles upon it knows that it's in their best interest to land there.

Shit, I've got to find one of those. I keep buying new multitools (and exosuits upgrades, though I slowed down on those when they started getting to 100k a slot) and I'm never going to have enough for a cool big ship at this rate. Today I dropped 100k+ on a multitool immediately before the guy in the room gave me his, which was even better, for free.

I've had a bad string of luck lately with planets that are all too similar. I will say I hope Hello keeps the progression/loot interesting because that really is the driving point of the game when so many of these places look the same and don't really have anything brand new to see. Something else I wish we'd see was more variety on planets. That's the real biggest issue for me: if you've seen a small portion of a planet, you've seen the entire thing. Can you imagine if some alien touched down on the north pole and assumed all of Earth was like that? The main thing keeping you exploring on a planet is either looking for new species of animals, or new in-game tasks you're seeing for the first time (I remember it was quite a while before I found an abandoned ship, which was a cool new thing at the time). 

27 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I've had a bad string of luck lately with planets that are all too similar. I will say I hope Hello keeps the progression/loot interesting because that really is the driving point of the game when so many of these places look the same and don't really have anything brand new to see.

Honestly the planets are so big, if you find a planet safe enough, you're better off just staying there forever to do all your stuff. You'll pretty much never run out of stuff on the planet. In the WWE star system there's a planet called SmackDown Hotel and it's not toxic and the temperature is good enough where you barely have to replenish your suit. I stayed there for a long time because there were good resources there and it was easy to survive but left mostly because of boredom...and because I want to push forward to hopefully one of these years get the damn Atlas Pass.

23 hours ago, Dylan said:

I chose the "spurn" option, which ever that was.

The Atlas path follows the main "story" where it guides you to the center. I chose this one but I was very close to choosing the other one cause I figured I might want to stay on the outskirts of the galaxy. Thank god I chose that one as some guides I've seen said it's much tougher to get different things (like an Atlas pass) when you choose the spurn option. You just have to hope to randomly discover the recipes/blueprints for stuff. So I think your option is basically just you skipping the story mode.

I'm curious to know what you guys currently have for your exo-suit, starship and multi-tool. I'm currently working on upgrading my ship and am simply farming emeril until I have enough units to get a ship with 25 or more slots. My ship currently has only 13 slots...I downgraded from 21 because the one I had before was really ugly. The ship I have now is really cool looking, but only has the 13 slots, so I'm definitely due for an upgrade. I currently have 29 slots on my exosuit, which is nice, but it'll cost me 170,000 units to upgrade the next one, so I may just stop at 30 for now. I don't have many upgrades available for the exosuit. As of right now, I have two Jetpack Boosts, two Coolant Networks, one Shieldboost, one Radiation Deflector and one Aeration Membrane (for breathing underwater). 

I have 14 available upgrades for my starship, but I'm only able to equip up to seven right now. My multi-tool has 20 slots, but I'm currently using 17 slots for upgrades, and I know for certain that I have plenty of more upgrades available (can't look to see how many without dismantling one of my current upgrades). Once I upgrade my starship, I'm going to work on upgrading the shit out of my multi-tool. 

I have discovered nine systems thus far and 16 planets. I have been on three planets that had extreme weather/storms, so I did not spend too much time on there. I have been on a couple planets with radiation (prior to getting my Radation Deflector upgrade), so I didn't spend too much time there either. There have been two planets that I have found that are rich with resources and have no weather effects, so I have spent a lot of time farming on those planets. I named the one I am currently farming on Mac n' Cheese because of it's color and it's propensity to give me satisfaction. 

After hitting the jackpot on my current planet, my exo-suit is now up to 42 spots. The max you can get is 48 so that's what I'm shooting for. Today I've been mostly focused on finding new ships. You can buy bigger ships from aliens at space stations and those airport things on planets but even with my vast wealth it is way too expensive. The easier thing to do is to find crashed ships. Each ship you find will either be one inventory slot bigger or smaller than your current ship so you have a 50% chance to get a bigger ship. This has turned out to be a huge pain because those red beams that you use the bypass chips to find the transmissions hardly ever send you to a ship so I'm stuck flying low to look for them. And crashed ships are much harder to spot than other things. My current starship and multi-tool are both at 16 slots. My multi-tool is way on the bottom of my priorities right now.

I'm on my third star system. I'm not sure how many planets I've visited. I'm trying to visit each planet before I leave the star system. Once I get all my upgrades in order, I'll be moving much more quickly towards the center.

It is so easy to get immersed in this game. I could spend hours just looking at all the creatures. I have also spent a lot of time trying to learn the Vy'Keen language as they were the first race that I discovered. I think I have learned over 40 words from their language. 

7 minutes ago, Will said:

It is so easy to get immersed in this game.

It really is. My concerns about getting bored with this game are gone. I'm getting more addicted to it with each passing day. It has a Destiny level of addiction to it. After a week with the game I've already charged my PS4 controller twice. It's probably already my most played PS4 game.

Speaking of PS4, what a fucking year for that console. My PS4 spent about two years mostly collecting dust and then an onslaught of great stuff has released within the past few months. Ranking my best of 2016 so far...

1. Ratchet & Clank
2. No Man's Sky
3. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
4. The Division
5. Inside
6. Stories: The Path of Destinies
7. Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2

NMS will probably be #1 soon out of these games but a bunch of stuff is on the way so it's hard to say if it'll remain #1. So that's 1, 2, 3 and 6 all PS4 exclusive/console exclusive.

I sort of accidentally came across the Atlas Pass. I have not yet accessed any doors that can be accessed, but I have opened some containers and they do have pretty good loot. 

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

How did you get it? I heard you get it randomly from the monoliths but I've yet to get one.

Well, there was a quest that kept showing up on my HUD, and it directed me to a specific monolith. I had exhausted quite a few monoliths before this, so I don't know if it was random, or if you have to meet a certain requirement as far as how many you visit. Eventually, I got tested by a monolith that directed me to "explore the galaxy". Without spoiling anything, I will tell you that there was a point of interest after that. 

I was getting bored with my $$$ planet. I'll go back one final time before I leave this star system for good and make sure I'm rich beyond my wildest dreams. I ventured off to the moon of that planet and it's absolutely beautiful. I've seen footage of NMS and I've seen nothing like this. I'm convinced I'm on the most beautiful planet in the entire game. It's the first planet I've visited where the weather was described as pleasant. It reminded me of Pandora from Avatar. Leaves and trees, beautiful plants, it's all green and blue. It's amazing. I spent about a half-hour just wandering around amazed at the scenery. In one breathtaking shot I was high up looking out at the scenery and then above that a planet, a sunset and ships flying by off in the distance all while listening to some ambient piano music playing in the background as part of the fantastic soundtrack to this game. It looked like some scripted video game footage made for a trailer but it was real right in front of me. I wish PS4 didn't have the dumb 15 minute record times for videos as I'd love to be recording all of this great stuff that I see. PC players that can't get this game up and running have some legitimate gripes, but all other complaints about No Man's Sky are complete bullshit. This game is exactly what was promised. Hello Games totally delivered.

So what is some of the weirdest stuff you guys have seen? I read an article about weird stuff and one of the things mentioned was floating islands. And I'm disappointed that the article didn't know about my floating islands. The ones in the article look like boring floating asteroids. The floating islands on a planet I was on before had plants, knowledge stones and other stuff on there. It was really cool being that high up on foot looking down at the planet. If I ever fell and used my jetpack to survive there was no way I'd ever be able to reach my ship again. But some flying creatures are probably the weirdest things I've seen. They looked like worms that were swimming in the water, only they were flying up high. Very creepy.

4 hours ago, Mike said:

So what is some of the weirdest stuff you guys have seen? I read an article about weird stuff and one of the things mentioned was floating islands. And I'm disappointed that the article didn't know about my floating islands. The ones in the article look like boring floating asteroids. The floating islands on a planet I was on before had plants, knowledge stones and other stuff on there. It was really cool being that high up on foot looking down at the planet. If I ever fell and used my jetpack to survive there was no way I'd ever be able to reach my ship again. But some flying creatures are probably the weirdest things I've seen. They looked like worms that were swimming in the water, only they were flying up high. Very creepy.

I haven't come across anything weird like that, yet. I'm hoping I will eventually. If I keep playing as much as I have been lately, then there is no doubt I will find something weird soon. 

So, I haven't found this myself, but an alien that I was purchasing from is selling an Atlas Stone, which he has priced at 5,317.777 units. It's 88.7% above the Galactic Avg. but that is still a pretty hefty fee. I'm not certain that these can just be found anywhere, but it does say that it's an item often associated with ancient monolithic sites. I may spend more time going to monoliths in an effort to locate one of these. 

12 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I got my AtlasPass completely by accident in a space anomaly.

Sounds like what happened to me, ha ha

It takes way too long and is almost impossible to spot crashed ships. I've just been farming sac venom and buying new ships. Just bought a ship with 28 inventory slots that set me back about $4.5 million. A 48 inventory slot ship will be an eyesore but it will help get me to the center of the galaxy.

After figuring out how to correctly find crashed ships, I've spent many boring hours finding them and today I finally got a 48 slot ship. Now that my suit, ship and multi-tool are max sizes, I'm focusing on upgrading my ship as much as possible to follow the Atlas objectives and get to the center as quickly as possible while also trying to upgrade my other stuff, but that isn't a priority. Sales and active players have plummeted for this game but outside of the crappy space combat I'm still having fun with it. Are you guys still playing it?

Also, really funny video I just saw online comparing early footage of the game to footage from the released game...