Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

No Man's Sky

50 posts in this topic

I figured there will be a lot of discussion about this (as there already has been) so it should get its own thread instead of NMS discussion taking over the gaming thread.

When thinking about my most anticipated games of all-time there are three games that come to mind...Halo 3, Red Dead Redemption and No Man's Sky. I think NMS might be ahead of them both at this point. I have extremely fond memories of the day I got Halo 3 and my many hours with that. It is and will probably always be my favorite game ever. Red Dead Redemption was probably the biggest gaming disappointment of my life. Hopefully NMS delivers.

Five more fuckin' hours of work. Then hopping on my bike, riding it for around 20 minutes to get home. My download will be waiting for me, so I boot it up, get high as the fucking moon, and then set sail for the unknown. 

Lucky you. I have to wait till tomorrow after work to play. It's gonna be an insanely long and awful day tomorrow until I get home. I think beginning at midnight I'm gonna go on a video game news blackout. I don't want to hear any opinions or news about the game until I play it myself.

This is WAY more survival oriented than I expected. I don't want to jump to conclusions, but through 2-3 hours it feels like a detriment. You really want to explore, but your resources are so limited that you have to collect them, which at this point is kind of a slog. The worlds (never mind the universe or systems, which I'll get to in a sec) are absolutely massive. You explore them largely on foot. But everything at your disposal is limited--your mining gun overheats every few seconds and eventually needs to be recharged, you don't run very fast and have a quickly depleting stamina bar, you have to collect materials and don't have that much room for all of them, etc. 

And the big issue early on is that at the start of the game, you're entirely at the mercy of the algorithms that decide what planet you start on. See, you spawn with muchos your equipment broken or in need of charging, forcing you to explore the planet on foot and gather the materials to fix it. Now, maybe the planet you're on easily sustains life and the materials you need are all nearby. Or maybe the planet is utterly toxic and barren of the materials you need (or worse yet, a single material) and you're going to be there a long time jogging aimlessly to find one resource while struggling to keep your exosuit operational.

My experience was somewhere in the middle: I'm pretty sure it took somewhere between one and two hours for me to get off that first planet. But it could've been a lot better or a lot worse, and I have to think that some people will give up on the game before they ever get off the first planet. So if your planet sucks, remember that you can start a new game and hopefully get a better one. 

Now I'm not sure what Hello Games can do to fix this, other speed up the survival  and resource gathering process dramatically (which would honestly benefit the whole game). 

But I don't want to make it seem like the game is bad or anything. It's a technical marvel like nothing I've seen. While it can be annoying that it takes five minutes to get somewhere at max speed, it's simultaneously amazing just how damn big the game is. Without the hyperspeed jumps, you'd never get anywhere. I'm wondering how much variety you find on the planets, because they're so big that if a desert planet had a jungle on the other side, I'd likely never see it. They hammered the scope of the game home harder than anything else in the marketing, and it still doesn't do justice to when you experience it for yourself. It can honestly make your own journey feel entirely futile. 

EDIT: Had a hard crash today. Hopefully that isn't a common occurrence.

Such a surreal feeling finally loading this game up for the first time. The planet I was on was kinda cold but I could last a good while before having to recharge my suit. The suit recharge material was easy to come by so it wasn't an issue at all. I thought it was barren at first but eventually I see some little dog-sized things. I fed one of them which was cool. Eventually I saw a creature that was a little bigger than me and only went near it when I found out it was a vegetarian. I fed that creature too. The sentinels are really cool. They scan things near where you destroy stuff and come over and scan you like they know you're up to something. They have a real alien sound to them. I discovered something that taught me the alien word for rare so when I eventually went to a space station to talk to the NPC dude, the only word he said I could understand was rare. It's cool that you'll be able to learn languages.

I think there's a way to fast-travel back to your ship but I haven't figured out how yet. I thought I remember reading that you press triangle after you press the touchpad but I don't think that does anything. Probably my biggest complaint so far are the long walks back to your ship. It sorta discourages you from traveling far away because no one wants to have to walk that whole distance back. The menus and items seem very overwhelming so far but I think I'll get used to it. I'm happy that they ripped off Destiny with the menu setup and look. Mining stuff is enjoyable because it leads to upgrades and crafting of items. It's like Minecraft only fun. The movement is good, the ship controls are good, music is great. Awesome feeling flying from planet to space and space to planet. I was very afraid it would disappoint and so far after my initial 90 minutes or so with the game I'm completely satisfied and it's everything I wanted it to be. Hopefully the game doesn't get old quickly and it's too early to know if that will happen but I'm happy so far.

So are duplicate names allowed? I find it hard to believe that you're the first person to name a creature Mike. While names would run out very fast, I kinda wish a name could only be used once. It takes the fun away a little if the name you pick for something isn't the only time that name is used in the universe.

I named my first planet Vault of Glass (after the Destiny Raid) and the star system TuneLab.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

So are duplicate names allowed? I find it hard to believe that you're the first person to name a creature Mike. While names would run out very fast, I kinda wish a name could only be used once. It takes the fun away a little if the name you pick for something isn't the only time that name is used in the universe.

I named my first planet Vault of Glass (after the Destiny Raid) and the star system TuneLab.

I was wondering this myself. I'm curious to see how often you find creatures/planets that have already been discovered by somebody else. They made it sound like it was ridiculously rare that you run into another player, so I imagine it would be somewhat rare to find a planet and/or creature that has been discovered already. Or am I wrong? I have only put about an hour into the game, so my first few discoveries were my own, but that was to be expected. Will I start finding creatures that have already been discovered and named soon, or should I continue to find new species that nobody else have discovered?

18 minutes ago, Mike said:

I have to imagine duplicates are allowed. Can you imagine how frustrating it would be to try and name something nobody will ever see and everything is taken so you can't? And if you do stumble upon something somebody else named, I think the sheer novelty of it having a name would be enough to balance out any disappointment that it's not the only thing in the universe with that name.

I think this is going to be considered a success. It's grind-y, sure, but you know what else is grind-y? Pokemon Go. The fact of the matter is, I've spent all damn day wandering around, collecting resources, and following vague waypoints on one planet. A game that detaches you from the real world so thoroughly, that resonates with people.

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

I think this is going to be considered a success. It's grind-y, sure, but you know what else is grind-y? Pokemon Go. The fact of the matter is, I've spent all damn day wandering around, collecting resources, and following vague waypoints on one planet. A game that detaches you from the real world so thoroughly, that resonates with people.

Seeing as how I've been a Destinyholic for two years, I don't think grindiness is gonna bother me.

They have automatic car starters on your phone so you can be in another state and start your car. I don't think it's too unrealistic to think that in the future you could call your ship to your location from anywhere. The worst part about this game, by far, is being discouraged to travel far because of dreading the long walk back. The inventory also needs to greatly expand immediately. I love the way it's set up, though. I was safely in a giant spaceship and I just spent a while looking through everything and now I understand all of it. I'm having a blast with the game so far.

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

They have automatic car starters on your phone so you can be in another state and start your car. I don't think it's too unrealistic to think that in the future you could call your ship to your location from anywhere. The worst part about this game, by far, is being discouraged to travel far because of dreading the long walk back. The inventory also needs to greatly expand immediately. I love the way it's set up, though. I was safely in a giant spaceship and I just spent a while looking through everything and now I understand all of it. I'm having a blast with the game so far.

The inventory slots are the main premium in the game. Expanding that is basically my main goal for the foreseeable future. You can buy ships with more room at space stations (if you've saved up a lot) and you gotta hunt down drop pods on planets to upgrade your suit inventory. And you can also find new multitools with more room for upgrades on planets, though I'm not as clear on how you find them. 

I, too, am having a whole lot of fun. It's a total time sink game, which I can use right now. Too bad Metacritic is filled with whining types who apparently didn't read or watch anything to do with that game beyond a single trailer. I do agree that they absolutely need to add some sort of fast-travel for the ship. There are some waypoints that let you call your ship if you have a bypass thing, but they're not common enough to count on finding one when you wander 20 minutes from your ship. 

5 minutes ago, Dylan said:

And you can also find new multitools with more room for upgrades on planets, though I'm not as clear on how you find them.

Some of the planets have little bases where ships come and go. I went inside the base and there was a vendor there. In addition, on the wall there was a thing where you could buy and sell items with the galactic inventory or something. On another part of the wall I saw a new multitool that I could've bought. It had 9 slots (compared to my 7) but I didn't buy it. I would've given my left and right nut for a bigger suit inventory capacity but I don't have much use for an upgraded multitool at this time. Sometimes it's easier to fly really low on a planet to look for points of interest instead of just walking.

Also, I don't think upgrades should take up inventory spots. That's kinda silly. And I saw some flying fish thingys and they were the weirdest, coolest looking aliens I've seen so far.

Some questions that maybe can be answered for me...

1. Is there any way to disengage the hyperdrive thingy with L1 and RI? I've tried pressing every button and nothing works. It's like it's stuck there until you almost crash into a planet.

2. What happens if you land your ship in water? I almost did that.

3. The game said I wasn't connected to online services yet my stuff still uploaded to the Atlas. What's up with that?

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

Some of the planets have little bases where ships come and go. I went inside the base and there was a vendor there. In addition, on the wall there was a thing where you could buy and sell items with the galactic inventory or something. On another part of the wall I saw a new multitool that I could've bought. It had 9 slots (compared to my 7) but I didn't buy it. I would've given my left and right nut for a bigger suit inventory capacity but I don't have much use for an upgraded multitool at this time. Sometimes it's easier to fly really low on a planet to look for points of interest instead of just walking.

Also, I don't think upgrades should take up inventory spots. That's kinda silly. And I saw some flying fish thingys and they were the weirdest, coolest looking aliens I've seen so far.

Some questions that maybe can be answered for me...

1. Is there any way to disengage the hyperdrive thingy with L1 and RI? I've tried pressing every button and nothing works. It's like it's stuck there until you almost crash into a planet.

2. What happens if you land your ship in water? I almost did that.

3. The game said I wasn't connected to online services yet my stuff still uploaded to the Atlas. What's up with that?

1. Don't know, I usually just mash buttons until it stops. 

2. I know you can safely swim, but no clue about landing your ship. 

3. I'm pretty confused about the servers and online. I guess if you're not connected it just saves that you did it and gives you the units, and it uploads it online when it gets a connection. 

4. If you ever find those orange beams in the ground that you can use a bypass chip on, use that and search for shelter. Repeat until it directs you to a nearby drop pod, where you can upgrade your suit inventory. 

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

Ugh, no preload available for this game.  WHY.

It's a small download. Shouldn't take too long. On PS4 I didn't even need to download it. It was just on the disc. The supposed 3GB update only ended up being about 800MB.

22 hours ago, Dylan said:

Too bad Metacritic is filled with whining types who apparently didn't read or watch anything to do with that game beyond a single trailer.

Meant to comment on this before. Yeah it's amazing how dumb people are when it comes to games. You should hear half of the shit customers in front of me in line ask employees at GameStop. NMS isn't like the original controversial plans for Xbox One where Microsoft was never clear what it was. Sean Murray and tons of websites have explained what the game was. There's hours of gameplay footage out there that has been out there for years, previews in articles and magazines, a 70 question and answer video Murray did with Game Informer on YouTube. Even right before the release, Murray went through great lengths to try to explain what the game was so people wouldn't be disappointed and expecting something else. He did an AMA on reddit and posted exactly what you can do in the game on the official NMS website. I don't know what more could've been done to convince clueless people that NMS wasn't an MMO or a FPS.