Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pen

MM2016 Final Battle: Red vs. Meg Myers

MM2016   23 members have voted

1. 1. MM2016

• Red - Of Beauty And Rage
    • Meg Myers - Sorry

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

50 posts in this topic

45 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Well well well. Jaaaamie

Pen hasn't voted yet so I don't have that power either. And I have reasons why I don't feel inclined to vote in this matchup. But this is some serious 11th hour excitement should it get any closer!

It's after midnight on the East coast. Pen's vote can't count now, or it taints the integrity of the tournament. this is a joke

51 minutes ago, Dylan said:

It's after midnight on the East coast. Pen's vote can't count now, or it taints the integrity of the tournament. this is a joke

This tournament? Integrity? :lol:

2 hours ago, Jamie said:

Didn't Red (barely) win already? Am I missing something?

Click on the number 9 for Meg Myers. 10 people voted for her. It's 10-10. You decide it.

5 hours ago, Jamie said:

Didn't Red (barely) win already? Am I missing something?

They should have. It's abundantly clear that pen doesn't want Red to win this thing.

1 hour ago, Bladenit09 said:

They should have. It's abundantly clear that pen doesn't want Red to win this thing.

That's how voting works. Should I have not voted? Would that be a satisfying victory for you?

1 hour ago, pen said:

That's how voting works. Should I have not voted? Would that be a satisfying victory for you?

You didn't vote until well after midnight, the time you said votes wouldn't count after. At that point Red was winning. My point is that it seems like you violated your own rule. Unless you're working in Pacific Time or something like that.

2 minutes ago, Bladenit09 said:

You didn't vote until well after midnight, the time you said votes wouldn't count after. At that point Red was winning. My point is that it seems like you violated your own rule. Unless you're working in Pacific Time or something like that.

It would make sense to let it run until the last midnight in the country.

And either way, who cares? It's his game. It doesn't make a difference when he voted. If some random guy voted after the deadline, sure, but it's more than acceptable for him to hold onto his vote knowing that it will be the last one placed.

2 hours ago, Bladenit09 said:

You didn't vote until well after midnight, the time you said votes wouldn't count after.

I never said that. I work until after 12pm. You may not have noticed, but every match we've had has been closed well after 12 and every new match has gone up well after 12. Every vote until I close the match counts.

In fact, in the very thread created to discuss this year's tournament, in my initial post I said:

Therefore, first matches will begin Sunday evening, March 20th. Probably around 12:30-1AM EST depending on when I get home from work. 

I made it clear to everyone from the start that I work past midnight.

Man oh man, I don't want the fate of this on ME!!! It's too much power for someone who likes both albums equally. I'll be voting fairly arbitrarily.

One curiosity I have is how much both Red and Meg Myers are involved in their own writing. For both albums, the producers of the respective albums are listed as co-writer on every song and for multiple instruments. Can Red not write quality songs with the epic strings without Rob Graves being hired to do it for them? They certainly failed to deliver that with Howard Benson. Can Meg Myers not compose the music without her producer coming up with the tracks? Is she writing just the lyrics? The lyrics and vocal melody? The lyrics, vocal melody, and chord progression and coming in with a significant skeleton of a full composition that the producer embellishes on? These things matter to me in terms of my respect level of both artists and would probably be the deciding factor for me between the two albums given that I enjoy listening to them a similar amount.

I also have a totally selfish motive for voting for one, but if I actually did and that decided the tournament, it would be such bullshit after the emotional investment that people feel for this.

3 hours ago, NinjaNick101 said:

Well, should we expect Nixon, Kalt or Jman to make that decision for you? 

Unless someone can engage what I wrote and really move me to vote one way or the other, that's probably the best bet. This has been to long of a journey for me to end it on a whim.

4 hours ago, Jamie said:

Man oh man, I don't want the fate of this on ME!!! It's too much power for someone who likes both albums equally. I'll be voting fairly arbitrarily.

One curiosity I have is how much both Red and Meg Myers are involved in their own writing. For both albums, the producers of the respective albums are listed as co-writer on every song and for multiple instruments. Can Red not write quality songs with the epic strings without Rob Graves being hired to do it for them? They certainly failed to deliver that with Howard Benson. Can Meg Myers not compose the music without her producer coming up with the tracks? Is she writing just the lyrics? The lyrics and vocal melody? The lyrics, vocal melody, and chord progression and coming in with a significant skeleton of a full composition that the producer embellishes on? These things matter to me in terms of my respect level of both artists and would probably be the deciding factor for me between the two albums given that I enjoy listening to them a similar amount.

Meg is billed as a singer-songwriter and is credited with vocals, lyrics, guitar, percussion, and "primary artist". Her producer is credited with bass, drum/beat programming, piano, synthetic, and guitar. She's the only credited composer, except for one (whose sole credits is composer) So while it's not as though Meg Myers made the whole album by herself, I think it's safe to say she's not some starlet who lays down vocals after producers do all the real work. 

The main thing that's vague in the credits (at least for the whole album, the liner notes would be helpful here but mine are in AL) is the division of the guitar work. Meg certainly can play the guitar and is the only person credited with both guitars and composition so I imagine she wrote the majority of that guitar tracks herself, but I really would like to know who did the solo on "Desire". I'm somewhat skeptical it was her for some reason.