Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
breanna.

Islander - 'Power Under Control'

16 posts in this topic

Sssssweeeeeeeeeeeeetttt

Halfway through the album stream and I'm very happy. I really liked the guitar, melody and pace variation I'm hearing so far through a few songs. Unique from each other but fits together. Sounds like new stuff but also still sounds like Islander's first album w/o being the same album made over again. I hope the back half is just as good.

On 8/5/2016 at 4:37 AM, NinjaNick101 said:

"All We Need" and "Devil Red" are such a one-two punch.

I think you're right, but add "Better Day" before those for the 1-2-3 punch.

Devil Red is easily my favorite. Other standouts are Beelzebub, Darkness and Think It Over (love the way that one starts).

Love all the little call backs to Violence and Destruction too.

Not gonna lie, I thought this was a bit of a letdown compared to their first album. Still some good tracks like Better Days, Devil Red, and a few others..but the whole album as a whole didn't blow me away like Violence and Destruction did for me.

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

Another album I was looking forward to and need to get on top of still. 

If you liked the first one then you should definitely check this one out. I'm on my 7th or 8th listen by this point, I think I have a good grasp on it. It's pretty damn strong. I think it's a tiny step down from their debut just because they don't have a song as awesome as 'Kingdom' on here and nothing as catchy/accessible as 'Coconut Dracula'. Still a really good album. I don't really care for the two semi-filler songs that are like 2 minutes long, I would have preferred one complete song instead. It has that variation I look for, too. 

53 minutes ago, heldjc said:

Not gonna lie, I thought this was a bit of a letdown compared to their first album. Still some good tracks like Better Days, Devil Red, and a few others..but the whole album as a whole didn't blow me away like Violence and Destruction did for me.

I kind of agree. I think that it didn't blow me away like V+D, but I wouldn't call it a let down. I think that's just because I've gotten to the point where if I REALLY, really love an album by a band, 99% of the time they just aren't able to beat it the next time, so my standards are low, kind of a "Just give me something close with a few good cuts" type of thing. 

Overall, I think this album sits just below my top tier albums for 2016: Cage9, Devour the Day, From Ashes to New and Sixx AM. 

I gave the album one listen through. It's not bad, but I did enjoy their previous one much more. There's nothing that really stands out to me like "Coconut Dracula" did on the last album, but I'll give it some more time to get used to it.

I'm loving this album, Darkness had my attention immediately,  I really like the line "I'm friends with all my demons, won't tell you what we're scheming, you'll regret it if you look my way".  There are so many good cuts on here.  The chorus from Casket has been stuck in my head.  I like it all, but I'm with Koldes on the short songs, they weren't needed.