Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pen

MM2016 Final Four: Red vs. Breaking Benjamin

MM2016   21 members have voted

1. 1. MM2016

• Red - Of Beauty And Rage
    • Breaking Benjamin - Dark Before Dawn

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 posts in this topic

61Z%2B39h3SpL.jpg

RED: OF BEAUTY AND RAGE
Essential Records
February 24th

Descent
Impostor
Shadow And Soul
Darkest Part
Fight To Forget
Of These Chains
Falling Sky
The Forest
Yours Again
What You Keep Alive
Gravity Lies
Take Me Over
The Ever
Part That's Holding On
Ascent

51SJ5fS2iJL.jpg

BREAKING BENJAMIN: DARK BEFORE DAWN
Hollywood Records
June 23rd

Dark
Failure
Angels Fall
Breaking The Silence
Hollow
Close To Heaven
Bury Me Alive
Never Again
The Great Divide
Ashes Of Eden
Defeated
Dawn

I actually with BB by a very small nod, but I'm surprised how much of a difference there is towards Red. Both were great albums, so I'm perfectly fine with BB going out in the second to last round.

24 minutes ago, jmg05005 said:

I'm trying my best to behave myself, but you guys are really hurting my heart on this one.

Red made the superior album. Dark Before Dawn was a good enough comeback but they played it very safe and it still doesn't measure to WANA. 

24 minutes ago, jmg05005 said:

I'm trying my best to behave myself, but you guys are really hurting my heart on this one.

Red made the superior album. Dark Before Dawn was a good enough comeback but they played it very safe and it still doesn't measure to WANA. 

I went with Jasen Rauch's new band over his old band. Even thou I will be completely fine w/RED winning this.

I don't think BB's new album was phenomenal other than Ashes to Eden, but I still believe (even went and re-listened to it another two times lately) that Red's album is one long song and they made the third album for the same time. I love them but I still can't appreciate the album. I know I'm in the minority here due to the album's success in MM, but it's how I feel. 

25 minutes ago, Koldes said:

but I still believe (even went and re-listened to it another two times lately) that Red's album is one long song and they made the third album for the same time. I love them but I still can't appreciate the album. I know I'm in the minority here due to the album's success in MM, but it's how I feel. 

You've hit the nail on the head with this one.

*shouts into the void* Dark Before Dawn is a poor man's Dear Agony which was a poor man's Phobia and nearly all the songs on it sound exactly the same

54 minutes ago, Koldes said:

I don't think BB's new album was phenomenal other than Ashes to Eden, but I still believe (even went and re-listened to it another two times lately) that Red's album is one long song and they made the third album for the same time. I love them but I still can't appreciate the album. I know I'm in the minority here due to the album's success in MM, but it's how I feel. 

When you say "third album for the same time", do you mean that this album sounds like Until We Have Faces or do you mean that they've made two other albums similar to this? Because if it's the former that doesn't make sense as Release The Panic was a step down from Faces and lacked much of the orchestration that makes Red great. Comparing this to Faces is fine because IMO this album is a return to form.

4 minutes ago, xeph said:

*shouts into the void* Dark Before Dawn is a poor man's Dear Agony which was a poor man's Phobia and nearly all the songs on it sound exactly the same

Songs that don't sound the same on BB - 1 - Ashes to Eden

Songs that don't sound the same on Red - 0 - N/A

I'm not saying the BB album was stellar, I just couldn't connect with Red's at all. And that hurts me to say as a BB and a Red fan listening to both of their stuff for over a decade, two crucial bands in my love of modern/active rock.

2 minutes ago, pen said:

When you say "third album for the same time", do you mean that this album sounds like Until We Have Faces or do you mean that they've made two other albums similar to this? Because if it's the former that doesn't make sense as Release The Panic was a step down from Faces and lacked much of the orchestration that makes Red great. Comparing this to Faces is fine because IMO this album is a return to form.

Yes, I+I and UWHF. 

I think that RTP was a step down for overall quality, but I'm one of the few here that liked the front half of it more than the back (despite weak lyrics in Same Disease, for example) because it actually was different than stuff they'd done before. (I enjoy RTP, Damage, Hold Me Now). The back half of that album besides As You Go (another track that's a bit different sounding) was similar to the other albums I mentioned, so I guess it was 3 1/2 albums. 

I mostly tried to stay out of the Red album discussion since you guys loved it so much and I didn't want to rain on anyone's parade, but, MM is kind of a battle of opinions so I'm offering mine! 

I really connect a lot with Ashes to Eden, so it's kind of the saving grace in this discussion for me for BB. 

6 minutes ago, Koldes said:

Songs that don't sound the same on Red - 0 - N/A

"Shadow and Soul"? "The Ever"? "Of These Chains"? hmmmm

Yeah I increasingly do not understand that argument.  There is so much interesting stuff going on on that record, as compared to BB's album where nothing interesting happens at all.