Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ruiner

Vice Principals

34 posts in this topic

HBO comedy from the Observe/Report/Eastbound/Down crew, starring Danny McBride and His Greatness Walton Goggins. 

Trailers were weak but the second episode sold me on the show and I'm very excited to see where it goes from here. 

This is one of those shows that really exposes how up their own asses a lot of "critics" are. Which isn't to say the show is perfect or exempt from criticism, because it's not. But you get so many reviewers hung up on the "problematic" issues with the show, constantly confused over who we're supposed to cheer for and how mean-spirited the show is. Like anybody with a working brain thinks that Gamby and Russell are the heroes of the story. 

So far this is pretty damn funny and the unraveling of the character development (along with the subtle examination of racism and classism) is genuinely intriguing. The show is already shot to completion for a two-season run, so I imagine we've only seen the beginning of the escalation. They're not going to be dragging anything out. 

On 8/8/2016 at 2:36 PM, Dylan said:

how mean-spirited the show is

In the PC age, comedies are really going to suffer. I saw a negative review for Ted 2 when it came out that complained that Ted was a "hateful monster." I mean the movie sucked for sure but Ted was the best character in it. I saw another review for the new Ghostbusters and the review complained that the movie played it way too safe with the jokes. Movies and shows will suffer in the future like that because there will be a shitstorm of fake outrage if there's anything remotely offensive with jokes so writers will be forced to write crap. Everything will have to be terrible Modern Family or Jimmy Fallon rubbish.

52 minutes ago, Mike said:

In the PC age, comedies are really going to suffer. I saw a negative review for Ted 2 when it came out that complained that Ted was a "hateful monster." I mean the movie sucked for sure but Ted was the best character in it. I saw another review for the new Ghostbusters and the review complained that the movie played it way too safe with the jokes. Movies and shows will suffer in the future like that because there will be a shitstorm of fake outrage if there's anything remotely offensive with jokes so writers will be forced to write crap. Everything will have to be terrible Modern Family or Jimmy Fallon rubbish.

Well, I doubt we'll have to worry about the people making this show doing that. 

This show seems to be getting better by the episode. I'm glad I stuck with it after an "eh" first episode. Seems like they are making the principal a more sympathetic character. 

1 hour ago, chicago_animal said:

This show seems to be getting better by the episode. I'm glad I stuck with it after an "eh" first episode. Seems like they are making the principal a more sympathetic character. 

Yeah, while it isn't quite as good, it's hooking me in with the plot despite being a comedy the same way Silicon Valley does. Knowing it's only two seasons help. I have no idea just where this is going to go and I love that. 

I'm glad I watched despite the crappy ads. The power of Goggins. 

You don't want to tussle with Lee Russell
'Cause I have the muscle
Busted
I'm busted by Lee Russell
I'm busted
Busted by Lee Russell
Who put the po-po in your ho' ho'?
Lee Russell, that's who
You're busted
You're busted by Lee Russell
And you're busted

I hope this is the show's new theme song.

I'll probably start watching this soon. And because everyone (you people and my friend) seems to agree that the show gets much better after the first episode, I promise to keep watching through at least episode two.

On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 10:54 AM, Mike said:

I'll probably start watching this soon. And because everyone (you people and my friend) seems to agree that the show gets much better after the first episode, I promise to keep watching through at least episode two.

Yeah give in at least 3 if your still on the border. I mean it's only 30 min. 

1 hour ago, chicago_animal said:

Yeah give in at least 3 if your still on the border. I mean it's only 30 min. 

I think if two doesn't do the trick, it's pretty unlikely that three will. 

Man the combination of Russell and Gamby might be one of the funniest tandems on TV, Danny Mcbride always picks the perfect people to be his sidekicks in his shows. Stevie J was hilarious in Eastbound and Down.

I like the show a lot, I've watched all the episodes so far besides the most recent one and I'll do that tonight. There's been some really great quoteable lines from the show so far. Looking forward to see how far they can take it. 

One criticism I have is, although I love him a lot, Danny McBride has a little case of the Will Ferrell's going on, in that he plays a similar character in whatever role he's in. Gamby is a LOT like Kenny Powers. Fortunately for me I love Kenny Powers so it doesn't bother me too much. 

I also hope that they feature Russel more to even it out, so it's not a Gamby show featuring Russel and more of an equal partnership, as the original trailers kind of implied, and especially considering it's Vice Principals, plural, and not just singular, about Gamby. I don't know if they'll go in that direction, though. 

I disagree with the "PC age comedies are going to suffer" analysis - it's one thing that sets the show apart is how vicious these guys are, reminds me of the ruthlessness of Always Sunny. 

I agree. He is very much like Kenny Powers in many many ways. I would have him do the character slightly more different then Kenny but I also do love LA Flama Blanco. 

Well, damn. When you think the show can't go any darker than it already has...

This is pretty handily my favorite thing Jody Hill has done. The characters and their writing are fascinating, the cast is all great, the music is great. I'm really sad there's only ten more episodes total, and only one left this year. It's going to bother me waiting around for a year knowing that the rest of the show is already finished, and just waiting to air.

Excellent article: http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/why-the-slow-knife-of-jody-hill-is-one-of-comedys-deadliest-tools

That whole last ten minutes I was waiting for the police to show up and arrest Gamby and Russell. They went... well, they went in a different direction, to say the least.

Spoiler

I like it though, after the shock wore off. Assuming Russell is responsible for the shooting and Belinda for the cars being on fire, Gamby's paying for both destroying Belinda's life and aligning himself with a psychopath like Lee Russell all in the same scene. A fitting end for the season.

On Sunday, September 18, 2016 at 11:19 PM, Dylan said:

That whole last ten minutes I was waiting for the police to show up and arrest Gamby and Russell. They went... well, they went in a different direction, to say the least.

Reveal hidden contents

I like it though, after the shock wore off. Assuming Russell is responsible for the shooting and Belinda for the cars being on fire, Gamby's paying for both destroying Belinda's life and aligning himself with a psychopath like Lee Russell all in the same scene. A fitting end for the season.

I don't think it's two different people as what are the odds of that? It would have worked out to perfectly. 

2 hours ago, chicago_animal said:

I don't think it's two different people as what are the odds of that? It would have worked out to perfectly. 

Not really, because they're both happening for the same reason. Belinda burns their cars on their first day as principals, unrelated shooter is outside waiting for Gamby to show his face and takes the opportunity. Better yet, if Russell hired him, he can alert the shooter to Gamby's location when Gamby radioed him about their cars. 

Gamby has made several enemies and a psychopathic partner who probably wants him out of the principal's office. It's not hard at all to believe two people would attack him on his first day as principal. 

Yeah your right, I can see that now. 

It sucks to wait a year for Season 2. They could at least start early next year unless it's cause they like the combo of them with the dramedy Ballers