Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris.

New Tool album

47 posts in this topic

The world maybe coming to an end this fall with a new Tool album finally being released. There's a thread on Reddit right now of someone leaking new album news, according the the thread, new album is called "Decem". It's going to be a double album, two and a half hours long (!!) and is going to be released this fall. All the details, and a track listing are in this article:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/report_tool_releasing_double_album_called_decem_this_fall_its_over_25_hours_long.html?no_takeover

Also, I searched to see if we had a thread on this album, which I'm sure there is one somewhere, but I laughed at the fact that searching the word "Tool" mainly brings up threads about Harty, or threads he's posted a lot in haha.

9 minutes ago, Chris7 said:

The world maybe coming to an end this fall with a new Tool album finally being released. There's a thread on Reddit right now of someone leaking new album news, according the the thread, new album is called "Decem". It's going to be a double album, two and a half hours long (!!) and is going to be released this fall. All the details, and a track listing are in this article:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/report_tool_releasing_double_album_called_decem_this_fall_its_over_25_hours_long.html?no_takeover

Could be real, could be bullshit. Could even be deliberate bullshit. Didn't Tool leak a fake album before or something similar? 

My totally ignorant opinion:

Tool will announce an album when they're ready to, and this won't be it.

This seems like the sort of thing started to encourage a response from the band, along the lines of "We've heard a rumor and it isn't true but we are in the process of recording..." Or someone is just taking a piss.

1: "I won't reveal my source." In sports writing, this is universally considered analogous to "This is thin bullshit."

2: Name drops Buzz as credibility indicator.

3: The track lengths aren't believable. I'd be shocked if Tool took that much of a piss on their fans. Also, it's hard as shit to write an 8 minute song that doesn't suck.

4: No skin in the game at all. So what if this person is wrong?

5: "I'm not saying this is true, it's just what I've heard."

18 minutes ago, thegreatunknown.rock said:

3: The track lengths aren't believable. I'd be shocked if Tool took that much of a piss on their fans. Also, it's hard as shit to write an 8 minute song that doesn't suck.

Huh

I really, really, really hope this is true. Even though a lot of this does smell of B.S. (i.e. the business of "I cannot reveal my source"), there is a tidbit I found curious here...

As you can see below, the track listing matches Melvins frontman Buzz Osborne's claim that Adam Jones told him no tune on the album goes below 12 minutes in length.

This is intriguing to me for two reasons:

1. It means someone was actually listening to Buzz Osbourne (shocking, I know).

2. This seems like an awfully specific detail for a fake report. Almost too specific for someone just conjuring this crap up as a troll job.

http://loudwire.com/melvins-buzz-osborne-tool-working-epic-tracks/

The Buzz "info" is in that. It comes with the caveat that Adam (maybe) only said the shortest one he'd worked on to that point was 12 minutes long (Meaning, if he'd worked on 3, another 12 could be 3 minutes long).

Re: my 8 minute statement - Tool is one of the few bands that has written passable 8 minute tracks in the past. Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus, end can be stretched to 8 with a long intro and bridge. Tool, despite being a genre unto themselves, has stuck with traditional song structure for 95% of their stuff because it makes for the strongest songs.

Parabol/Parabola is 9 minutes. Lateralus is 9 minutes. So is Eulogy. Every other hit is shorter. Wings for Marie clocks in at 17 but is two distinct tracks with crazy long intros.

Third Eye is 14, but does have a super long intro. Reflection is 11 minutes. I love those two tracks, but aren't the 7/8/9 minute long songs waaaay more memorable and powerful? They are for me and it ain't close. Of course YMMV but there's a reason the most common advice from a producer is "cut this".

I'd argue every album can only bear one or at most two tracks of that length. And I think Tool are so savvy they know that. Of course, they also like pulling people's chains so maybe they will and I have this whole thing pegged wrong.

13 hours ago, thegreatunknown.rock said:

http://loudwire.com/melvins-buzz-osborne-tool-working-epic-tracks/

The Buzz "info" is in that. It comes with the caveat that Adam (maybe) only said the shortest one he'd worked on to that point was 12 minutes long (Meaning, if he'd worked on 3, another 12 could be 3 minutes long).

Re: my 8 minute statement - Tool is one of the few bands that has written passable 8 minute tracks in the past. Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus, end can be stretched to 8 with a long intro and bridge. Tool, despite being a genre unto themselves, has stuck with traditional song structure for 95% of their stuff because it makes for the strongest songs.

Parabol/Parabola is 9 minutes. Lateralus is 9 minutes. So is Eulogy. Every other hit is shorter. Wings for Marie clocks in at 17 but is two distinct tracks with crazy long intros.

Third Eye is 14, but does have a super long intro. Reflection is 11 minutes. I love those two tracks, but aren't the 7/8/9 minute long songs waaaay more memorable and powerful? They are for me and it ain't close. Of course YMMV but there's a reason the most common advice from a producer is "cut this".

I'd argue every album can only bear one or at most two tracks of that length. And I think Tool are so savvy they know that. Of course, they also like pulling people's chains so maybe they will and I have this whole thing pegged wrong.

That isn't even remotely true. Many many bands' best songs are their long-form ones, and many excellent bands specialize in them (Tool being one--their best album does have more 8 minute plus songs than it has "regular" length ones--and plenty of progressive bands such as Porcupine Tree, Periphery, Rush, Opeth, etc produce tremendous songs running 7-20 minutes on a regular basis). And this is typically due to the bands neglecting to follow the traditional verse-chorus structure, rather than stretching it out. 

In fact, I just went into my library and counted well over a hundred songs with four or five star ratings with lengths exceeding seven minutes, and I own a pretty small amount of music compared to others who post here. 

Dylan,

Sorry I wasn't clear - my point was that those "longer" songs that remain in the 7-9 min range still adhere to traditional structure (generally) and are stronger for it, while the 12-minute tracks aren't as strong or memorable.

Go back to your library and check to see how many albums you find with more than  one 12 minute song (12 minutes of music). There are some out there, for sure, but I don't even think the artists you mentioned have any. Dollars to donuts they're not what one would consider very listenable. 

But my point is that that "detail" is one of the things that makes this Tool story smell of BS. Not that all 12 minute songs suck.

1 hour ago, thegreatunknown.rock said:

Dylan,

Sorry I wasn't clear - my point was that those "longer" songs that remain in the 7-9 min range still adhere to traditional structure (generally) and are stronger for it, while the 12-minute tracks aren't as strong or memorable.

Go back to your library and check to see how many albums you find with more than  one 12 minute song (12 minutes of music). There are some out there, for sure, but I don't even think the artists you mentioned have any. Dollars to donuts they're not what one would consider very listenable. 

But my point is that that "detail" is one of the things that makes this Tool story smell of BS. Not that all 12 minute songs suck.

12 is an awfully high benchmark, so I'm going to use 10 minutes, which I think is more than high enough to be relevant. 

Opeth - Blackwater Park

The Leper Affinity (10:23)

The Drapery Falls (10:53)

Blackwater Park (12:08)

Mastodon - Crack the Skye

The Czar (10:54)

The Last Baron (13:00)

Mr. Bungle - Disco Volante 

The Bends (10:28)

Merry Go Bye-bye (12:58)

Steven Wilson - Hand Cannot Erase

First Regret/Three Years Older (12:20)

Home Invasion/Regret #9 (11:29)

Ancestral (13:30)

Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing

Luminol (12:10)

The Holy Drinker (10:13)

The Watchmaker (11:42)

Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways 

The Sky Moves Sideways Phase One (18:39)

The Sky Moves Sideways Phase 2 (16:48)

But that's besides the point. Tool has seldom adhered to the traditional song structure anyway, even when the songs are shorter. The point is, I don't see any point in faulting Tool for what would've been an incredibly bold and ambitious move, were it real. If some fans can't pay attention for that long and bitched about it (which dollars to donuts they would), that's too damn bad for them, Tool doesn't make music to please them. 

Yeah I don't get how anyone thinks this has to do with a new album. It's clearly an amphitheater, San Bernadino to be exact, and June 24th is right in the midst of their US tour this summer. And the date is right in the middle of the California shows.

Yeah that's my fault! im not familiar with those kind of places :) i just read the facebook comments and i guess i was fooled by it :unsure:

So Tom Morello has apparently heard some of the new Tool album. And recently Danny Carey was asked if we could expect the album to finally come out in 2018, and he said “Definitely”......I’m not holding my breath, but this is exciting. 

https://www.revolvermag.com/music/tom-morello-gives-report-first-outside-listen-new-tool-music

52 minutes ago, NinjaNick101 said:

New APC and Tool in the same year would be great. Now if only System of a Down would do the same.

I should mention that a fan recently asked Maynard about Danny's quote and Maynard's response was "burp". Take that as you will.

Also, I wouldn't wait for SOAD to do anything. Serj recently went on record as saying he's not interested in being a vocalist right now and is more interested in writing instrumental music. I hate to say it, but I wouldn't blame the other guys if they decided to move on without Serj. He seems to be the only holdout.