Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ruiner

WWE Cruiserweight Classic

74 posts in this topic

Just finished the most recent episode. I didn't think the main event was as good as others thought but there was some good stuff in there. I liked how the heel-ish guy put his knee pad back up and was hesitant to really hurt his partner. I thought Rich Swann was fantastic and is the one I'm looking forward to winning this thing. He seems like he'll be good on the mic judging from the little I've heard him talk on the bracketology episode and in this episode. He's got the swagger and he can wrestle. I hope Brian Kendrick has a good showing in round 2 to justify the elimination of Raul Mendoza, who was easily the most impressive performer I saw in the first round. 

Rich Swann (along with the incredibly popular Jack Gallagher) is a guy who I think is going to have the most to gain by having a cruiserweight division on Raw. Dude has so much charisma and is super athletic in the ring, but he makes Daniel Bryan look big. Vince might not even look at him otherwise.

I says The Brian Kendrick, Tomasso Ciampa, and Jack Gallagher had the best individual performances. Shoutouts to ZSJ, Gargano, Mendoza, and Gulak too. Ranking the matches of the next round in terms of excitement...

1. Zack Sabre Jr. vs Drew Gulak

2. Johnny Gargano vs TJ Perkins

3. Jack Gallagher vs Akira Tozawa

4. Kota Ibushi vs Cedric Alexander

5. Rich Swann vs Lince Dorado

6. The Brian Kendrick vs Anthony Nese

7. Tajiri vs Gran Metalik

8. Noam Darr vs Ho Ho Lun

Funny how the guys with the worst showings in round one are facing each-other. I'm interested in seeing how they handle two matches an episode. You need a high quality of work to pull off two twenty+ minutes a night. Now that shouldn't be a problem for most of these, but asking an audience during a very long night of wrestling to stay hot for twenty minutes of Tajiri vs Gran Metalik may be hard, no matter how good the match is. I wonder if they'll pair some of the more hype matches with the ones with less interest each week, so a match like Ibushi/Alexander runs even longer and then Tajiri/Metalik before it only has to go 15 minutes or so.

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

I says The Brian Kendrick...had the best individual performances.

Did he even do any moves in the match? All I can remember him doing was the heel finish.

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

but he makes Daniel Bryan look big. Vince might not even look at him otherwise.

I feel that way about Gallagher. From the little I've seen he seems very impressive on the mic but if he is even signed I feel like he's destined to be the third member of the Vaudevillains and nothing more. He has possibly the worst look I've ever seen for a wrestler. I can't imagine Vince would even want him on TV to job to Strowman with that look and honestly it'd be tough to blame him.

Kendrick was the one leading the match, telling the story (which is what made it good). Doing a bunch of cool moves doesn't make you a great wrestler, though Mendoza certainly looked good. I mean, the guy's really young. Kendrick put in an absolute veteran performance. 

Ibushi/Alexander was amazing. What a match! I agree it was cool to see Trips come out at the end and the crowd go nuts. This has been some of the best and consistent wrestling I've seen in a while. 

Kendrick/Ibushi is gonna be a hell of a match.

I was pretty surprised to see Gallagher out, but he had an excellent match on the way out. I thought the pretzel thing was goofy (I see no way that works at all in real life, and it was just too obvious), but once it got serious, the storytelling was excellent. I haven't seen a guy in WWE incorporate limb targeting so effectively in a while, it was thrilling seeing Tozawa desperately struggle to get any offense without the use of his legs.

Noam Dar looked much better tonight even though the match wasn't great. It was pretty much just a showcase for him against Lun, but his quarterfinal match with either ZSJ or Gulak is going to be great.

I'd be pretty confused if WWE didn't sign Nese since he's the complete package when it comes to what they look for in a guy. He also had a hell of a showcase against Kendrick, but Kendrick's been so so good in this tournament.

A little behind but I just finished last week's episode. I'm happy Gallagher lost. In addition to having the worst look ever in wrestling, he did so many goofy moves that made wrestling look insanely fake. That move where he tied the guy up by himself was terrible.

The main event was good. I've been so impressed with Nese in this tournament and I hope WWE signs him. I can't believe he's a cruiserweight. He's built like a heavyweight.

Three really good matches coming tonight.

ZSJ vs Gulak is right behind Gargano/Ciampa and Ibushi/Alexander in my favorites so far. Really hope Gulak can get signed. 

Don't know how to feel about TJP over Gargano. They had a great match, though. 

On 8/17/2016 at 7:12 PM, Dylan said:

Kendrick/Ibushi is gonna be a hell of a match.

I was pretty surprised to see Gallagher out, but he had an excellent match on the way out. I thought the pretzel thing was goofy (I see no way that works at all in real life, and it was just too obvious), but once it got serious, the storytelling was excellent. I haven't seen a guy in WWE incorporate limb targeting so effectively in a while, it was thrilling seeing Tozawa desperately struggle to get any offense without the use of his legs.

Noam Dar looked much better tonight even though the match wasn't great. It was pretty much just a showcase for him against Lun, but his quarterfinal match with either ZSJ or Gulak is going to be great.

I'd be pretty confused if WWE didn't sign Nese since he's the complete package when it comes to what they look for in a guy. He also had a hell of a showcase against Kendrick, but Kendrick's been so so good in this tournament.

I'm very impressed with Nese. He was flying around the ring and doing moves with no problems. His match with Kendrick was great. They were both really good at selling. I'm pretty sure that Nese is going to be a part of the division. Also, if you want to see more of Noam Dar, he has been wrestling for ICW in the UK and for WCPW where he wrestled against Will Ospreay and El Ligero, which was a pretty decent match. He is very talented. He just didn't show much in the first match. I think WCPW said that he was recently signed by WWE, so it looks like he will be joining the division. I was impressed with Gallagher on his second match, but I think if he will be a part of the division, he will need to drop the gimmick or do something like Regal's gimmick. 

23 hours ago, Dylan said:

ZSJ vs Gulak is right behind Gargano/Ciampa and Ibushi/Alexander in my favorites so far. Really hope Gulak can get signed. 

Don't know how to feel about TJP over Gargano. They had a great match, though. 

Crap shouldn't have read this. I'm one episode behind. Perkins (aka Manik) deserves it. Gargano is already locked in with NXT with Ciampa, so it makes sense to have Perkins move on because Perkins hasn't been able to showcase his skills in many WWE matches yet. Gargano and Ciampa have been crushing it on NXT. Their match with The Revival at Takeover was amazing and probably my second favorite match of the weekend other than Styles vs. Cena.

Some great wrestling this episode. Each match was better than the previous one. I think Sabre Jr. should wear tights out there to hide the fact that he is so skinny. I was happy with the results of all three matches as I felt the better wrestler won in all of them. Although Gargano is so close to Perkins they're basically equal. The bracket seems a little lopsided now. The left side has Sabre Jr. and then no one else that really interests me (although Tozawa has way better german suplexes than Brock) and the right side is loaded. I'm rooting for Swann to win it but I imagine the finals is going to be Sabre Jr. vs. either Ibushi or Perkins.

21 hours ago, jman3000 said:

I'm very impressed with Nese. He was flying around the ring and doing moves with no problems. His match with Kendrick was great.

Yeah Nese was amazing out there for both of his matches. I loved the finish where he missed the 450 and then Kendrick immediately locked in the submission for the win. I wish Kendrick was on the less star-studded left side of the bracket in the place of Dar or Gran Metalik and then Nese was still in it going on to face Ibushi. Minor NXT tapings spoiler........Nese was wrestling at the tapings so it appears he might have signed with WWE.

21 hours ago, jman3000 said:

Perkins (aka Manik)

Wait so was he Suicide at one point? I remember Daniels being Suicide there for a while.

25 minutes ago, Mike said:

Some great wrestling this episode. Each match was better than the previous one. I think Sabre Jr. should wear tights out there to hide the fact that he is so skinny. I was happy with the results of all three matches as I felt the better wrestler won in all of them. Although Gargano is so close to Perkins they're basically equal. The bracket seems a little lopsided now. The left side has Sabre Jr. and then no one else that really interests me (although Tozawa has way better german suplexes than Brock) and the right side is loaded. I'm rooting for Swann to win it but I imagine the finals is going to be Sabre Jr. vs. either Ibushi or Perkins.

Yeah Nese was amazing out there for both of his matches. I loved the finish where he missed the 450 and then Kendrick immediately locked in the submission for the win. I wish Kendrick was on the less star-studded left side of the bracket in the place of Dar or Gran Metalik and then Nese was still in it going on to face Ibushi. Minor NXT tapings spoiler........Nese was wrestling at the tapings so it appears he might have signed with WWE.

Wait so was he Suicide at one point? I remember Daniels being Suicide there for a while.

1. While TJP and especially ZSJ are awesome, I'd probably have Gargano over TJP and Gulak isn't that far off from ZSJ. I actually prefer his style.

2. If this was any old tournament I'd say a ZSJ vs Ibushi final would be a lock but on the other hand you have to imagine the winner will be someone who signs. It's hard to say with certainty if they'd sign ZSJ due to his appearance, and it was reported that Ibushi didn't want to sign if he had to be exclusive. If neither win, I'd have to imagine it's TJP or Swann.

3. Mustafa Ali and Sean Maluta both lost to Hideo Itami in recent tapings. It's hard to say what the significance is. Though I'd have to imagine Nese is on the shortlist of guys who are definitely getting signed.

Ibushi wrestled a match in NXT as well in the last month. Ibushi was also in the locker room with Nakamura before his match with Joe. He is getting lots of face time. WWE already announced that Dar, Swann, Perkins, and Kendrick will be in the division immediately. They will probably make more announcements soon before the debut on the next few Raws. Pretty sure that all of the final 8 are signed and might even appear with the division right now. They will probably keep Gargano with Ciampa as a tag team in NXT, but not for long. They are on fire right now and I'm sure they will get a call up in the next few months. I'm pretty sure they will sign Nese and possibly others from the sweet 16 to at least small deals. We know Cedric Alexander is going to get signed. Gran Metalik is supposedly signed as well. 

Mike, yes TJ Perkins was Suicide/Manik for 2.5 years in TNA. He kind of got thrown to the wayside when he was put in that Revolution faction with James Storm, Sanada, and Abyss. He didn't have much of a chance to showcase his skills at the individual level when he was in the faction. HIs ring attire right now actually is very similary to what he was wearing as Manik in the last year he was in TNA. 

6 hours ago, jman3000 said:

Ibushi wrestled a match in NXT as well in the last month. Ibushi was also in the locker room with Nakamura before his match with Joe. He is getting lots of face time. WWE already announced that Dar, Swann, Perkins, and Kendrick will be in the division immediately. They will probably make more announcements soon before the debut on the next few Raws. Pretty sure that all of the final 8 are signed and might even appear with the division right now. They will probably keep Gargano with Ciampa as a tag team in NXT, but not for long. They are on fire right now and I'm sure they will get a call up in the next few months. I'm pretty sure they will sign Nese and possibly others from the sweet 16 to at least small deals. We know Cedric Alexander is going to get signed. Gran Metalik is supposedly signed as well. 

Mike, yes TJ Perkins was Suicide/Manik for 2.5 years in TNA. He kind of got thrown to the wayside when he was put in that Revolution faction with James Storm, Sanada, and Abyss. He didn't have much of a chance to showcase his skills at the individual level when he was in the faction. HIs ring attire right now actually is very similary to what he was wearing as Manik in the last year he was in TNA. 

Nah as previously mentioned, I think Gargano is in NXT for a while. Eventually (at this coming Takeover or the next) Ciampa snaps and kills Gargano, and you have a blood feud with super hot matches to keep momentum in NXT as it deals with the loss of its top star Nakamura. 

I was thinking a little more and I actually think Swann has a shot to win this whole thing. Outside of Kendrick who isn't winning, Swann is the only other person remaining representing America. That has to work in his favor.

Oh and I don't like how WWE already announced that Kendrick will be in the cruiserweight division. His whole story in the CWC is that this might be his last shot and announcing he already signed makes the tournament meaningless for him.

How public has that announcement been? This is the first I'm hearing of it. 

Here's how I'd rank my ideal winners... 

1. Ibushi

2. ZSJ 

3. TJ Perkins 

4. Gran Metalik 

5. Swann

6. Tozawa 

7. Kendrick 

8. Dar 

Are we positive that wasn't just showcasing some of the remaining finalists who they're looking at signing? I'm not sure, it seems like a pretty low-key way to announce signings. 

It is legit. WWE released this and it was confirmed that Noam Dar was signed by WWE on WCPW's youtube channel, so there is no reason to believe that they are just talking on this promo to promote and that these guys aren't signed. I'm pretty sure we will find out who else is involved in about 2 weeks or less. I'm counting on most if not all of the final 8 and most of the sweet 16 are at least signed on for developmental if not the main roster for the division. I'm pretty sure they signed others to developmental who lost in the first round like Mustafa Ali and Maluta that showed up in NXT against Itami.

On 8/28/2016 at 11:55 AM, Dylan said:

How public has that announcement been? This is the first I'm hearing of it. 

Here's how I'd rank my ideal winners... 

1. Ibushi

2. ZSJ 

3. TJ Perkins 

4. Gran Metalik 

5. Swann

6. Tozawa 

7. Kendrick 

8. Dar 

My list would be:

1. Ibushi

2. ZSJ

3. Swann

4. TJ Perkins

5. Kendrick

6. Gran Metalik

7. Dar

8. Tozawa

Haven't been very impressed with Tozawa.

The other match was also very good from what I saw but I was talking to my dad and I missed a good bit of it. I did legit buy Tozawa hitting the German as the finish. But Kendrick/Ibushi might be my match of the year. I have to watch it again. Kendrick has been so great in this tournament and I'm so happy he's going to be on Raw. He put in the performance of his life.

And I don't know what's going to happen, but man, I just don't see a world where either match next week sniffs that. Maybe Dar's actually awesome and he just got two rough draws in the first two rounds, but if he can't impress with ZSJ it makes zero sense how he got a contract. So I'll wait and see on that. And Swann/TJP should be an awesome match but, I don't know, it doesn't feel as important as Ibushi/Kendrick. I'm generally biased when it comes to high-flyers anyway. I dig 'em, but it's probably one of my least favorite styles (outside of obvious stuff like "big guys run into one another" and "Hulk Hogan matches"). I'm more into matches where shit looks like it hurts. Not that it won't be a great match, but I don't know, Swann and Perkins are two guys who feel a lot more Cruiserweight-y to me than others.

And really I don't know if I see a match in the whole thing that I think is going to top tonight. Potential match-ups remaining...

Metalik/Sabre Jr
Metalik/Dar
Metalik/Ibushi
Metalik/Swann
Metalik/TJP

Ibushi/Swann
Ibushi/TJP
Ibushi/Sabre Jr
Ibushi/Dar

ZSJ/Swann
ZSJ/Perkins

Dar/Swann
Dar/Perkins

Ibushi vs Sabre Jr has to be the finals, right? I guess Mike's got hope for Swann but I really don't see him winning it. Any other final is going to feel obvious to me. Metalik/Ibushi could be pretty captivating, though, because Metalik is signed and is a luchador which they probably want to push hard in the CW division so they could get me buying some nearfalls there. Hell, I thought Kendrick had Ibushi beat on several occasions tonight so maybe I shouldn't underestimate their ability to reel me in anymore.

I actually thought Metalik/Tozawa was the better match. I was a little disappointed with the main event. Ibushi has been so awesome in this tournament so I guess I was just expecting something more. I'm not nearly as high on Kendrick as Ruiner is. I thought Mendoza and Nese absolutely carried him in the first two matches to make those matches great. He's a good wrestler and I like his gimmick and I'm glad he's signed but I wasn't amazed with any of the stuff he did in this tournament, outside of some good heel tactics like trying to get the countout win by keeping Ibushi's leg in the barricade. Daniel Bryan (who seems to be getting worse each week on commentary) was getting increasingly annoying with every subsequent Kendrick match which makes Kendrick's exit from this tournament a good thing. And the crying and hug at the end was totally pointless because of course we all know Kendrick is signed.

Absolutely ridiculous. Kendrick was 100% the better man in those first two matches and it isn't close. Those other guys did more cool moves, but Kendrick's been putting on a storytelling masterclass in this tournament. Cool moves ain't shit without someone putting it all together. I'd say he was the better man this week too, but it was much more even. Ibushi's playing the Cena role and Kendrick gets the heel role which gives him more room to impress. Ibushi still looks like the best wrestler in the world though.