Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ruiner

WWE Cruiserweight Classic

74 posts in this topic

One match into this and I'm already hooked. Two guys I've never heard of who cut promos in a language I don't know went and a damn fun prelim-length match and I enjoyed watching it. Also, Bryan is great on commentary. He'll be adding insight and depth to the psychology of the match, and then sound genuinely blown away when someone does a crazy or brutal move. 

Ibushi and Maluta was a great match. I like Gran Metalik's finisher, didn't think they would allow that in WWE. Cedric Alexander put on quite a show. I'm psyched for this thing. Lots of great matches to come. I hope they bring in some of the guys afterwards that aren't in NXT because they have a lot of promise. 

I liked the presentation. It felt different from WWE in some ways. Closing the show with highlights of the moves on that episode was cool. I could've done without the referee talking to them before the match and the hand raising like UFC after the match. That stuff got old by the second match. The matches were good. It moved at a nice pace and none of the matches were too long. While it sucks that he lost 30 pounds just to lose in the first match, I'm glad Alejandro Saez lost. That guy had some cartoony facial expressions and I thought Gran Metalik was a better wrestler. Just once I'd like to see a middle eastern or French wrestler be a face. Kota Ibushi looked good out there. Seems like they're hyping him up as the face of this tournament and the favorite to win it. I wasn't impressed Sean Maluta and I'm sick of hearing about how every samoan wrestler in the world is related. I feel like some of that stuff is just for storylines. "And here comes The Rock's 7th cousin Sean Maluta." The commentary was solid and I love Mauro Ranallo. I didn't really like him the first time I heard him on SD but I like him more every time I hear him. You can tell he's a big wrestling fan and he's great at his job. He's the best WWE announcer since Jim Ross.

I really liked Saez and hope he gets offered a tryout or something at some point in the future. He looked very impressive athletically. 

I imagine the matches will get better once we're past the first round and they get longer with the better guys advancing. 

Really good matches tonight. TJ Perkins seems like a surefire signee, and Mustafa Ali and Lince Dorado looked terrific. Tajiri also looked really good considering his age. 

T.J. Perkins was definitely the standout from week 2. Tozawa looked good, as did Tajiri. I thought Ali looked a little better than his opponent, was hoping to see him get the win. Da Mack did some entertaining stuff out there but he went a little overboard with the showboating. We had some really good technical wrestling on this most recent episode.

I figured out who would make a great inaugural Cruiserweight champ...this guy.

3 hours ago, Mike said:

T.J. Perkins was definitely the standout from week 2. Tozawa looked good, as did Tajiri. I thought Ali looked a little better than his opponent, was hoping to see him get the win. Da Mack did some entertaining stuff out there but he went a little overboard with the showboating. We had some really good technical wrestling on this most recent episode.

I figured out who would make a great inaugural Cruiserweight champ...this guy.

I don't like it. He's above being pigeonholed in a cruiserweight division. 

18 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I don't like it. He's above being pigeonholed in a cruiserweight division. 

I don't think the guy is ever going to be a big star because of his look. He's really little and overcompensating by being jacked and he has those elf ears. Instead of being a directionless mid-carder, they could build him up as the face of the cruiserweight division.

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

Daniel Bryan never looked like a LOTR character.

I feel like you very greatly exaggerate Neville's appearance. He looks like a person. He isn't some freakshow who belongs in a cartoon. I think if you put a picture of Daniel Bryan when he was in Jesus mode next to Neville and asked a woman which one she'd sooner take home, Neville would win. The guy's already been crazy over in the past--the building was ready to explode for him in his title matched with Rollins and Cena last year, and he won the Breakout of the Year over Owens in legitimate fan polling. All you have to do is give him an actual character and direction and the rest should handle itself. He's proven he can handle complex character work in the past when he was in one of the best storylines of the past decade with Zayn. 

Zack Sabre Jr is an absolute delight to watch. It's highly apparent why he's considered the very best in the world. Hopefully his rather boyish look doesn't hold him back in WWE. 

My man Drew Gulak looked great in there with a pretty weak opponent. Him and ZSJ is going to be excellent. That was also true of Tony Nese, who looks like a guaranteed signee despite having to carry someone who clearly was not going at the same level. 

The last match with Brian Kendrick was fantastic. The way Kendrick got the crowd to turn on him was clinical, he had great vicious offense and defense, and Raul Mendoza I expected to not like but he looked wonderful. I'm guessing Kendrick's run is continuing to Ibushi in round three, and I'm expecting really great things there. 

Dylan, couldn't agree more. I was very impressed with ZSJ, even Tyson Dux, Gulak, Nese was awesome, and the Kendrick/Mendoza match was awesome. I really hope they sign a lot of these guys. 

This week I saw the best performance I've seen in the tournament yet and the worst performance yet. Anthony Bennett gets major props for the shades on the hair but man did he suck. Probably the only bad wrestler I've seen so far. Tony Nese looked good out there carrying him. I look forward to seeing what he can do against someone who can work. Guy is jacked. He looks like he's 220. The best performance goes to Raul Mendoza. He put on a clinic out there. Like most, I went into the match rooting for Kendrick but after more and more awesomeness from Mendoza, I was rooting for him. It's a shame he's one and done. Hopefully WWE signs him for the cruiserweight division.

Gulak seemed kinda boring. I was hoping the other guy was going to win. What is the point in having two brothers in a tournament if they never end up facing each other? Zack Sabre Jr. did like 25 things in his match that I've never seen before but my complaints with his style are the same complaints I have with the footage I've seen of that Ricochet/Ospreay match....it looked so fake. It was like I was watching ballet. It didn't feel like wrestling and that's why I didn't like it much.

Pretty sure that was on Sabre's opponent not selling a damn thing. I don't think his offense looks fake, but it sure does when a dozen brutal holds are applied to a guy's arm and the guy shows practically no damage taken. 

Also Gulak is awesome. Should have a much better match with ZSJ next week. 

The Ciampa v. Gargano match was the best of the tournament so far hands down. It was almost as good as the most recent Zayn v. Owens match at Battleground. These guys are definitely going places. Also, was really liking Fabian Eichner. What he did was amazing. Rich Swann is insane, tremendous athleticism. I think Eichner and Mustafa Ali are the best of the wrestlers not moving on. I was impressed by everyone else tonight. There were some great matches, but none that could touch a candle to Ciampa v. Gargano. I can't wait for the second round. I have a feeling that they are going to sign a bunch of these guys and I've heard through the rumor mill that some are already signed. 

Some jackass on Twitter just ruined the result of a round two match that would've legitimately surprised me, so now I'm going to be in a pissy mood for what should be a great match. 

I understand why they do it, but taping these things so far out can really be a killer. 

I haven't read spoilers so I am curious how they tape these things. Like did they tape the entire first round all at once? It was 16 matches but each match wasn't that long and there's no backstage stuff they needed to show to the live crowd so they can just have match after match and it would probably be the length of a Raw taping. Round 2 is eight matches so that was probably filmed in one night. The final two rounds will only be three total matches so I imagine that will all be filmed in one night with much longer matches.

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

I haven't read spoilers so I am curious how they tape these things. Like did they tape the entire first round all at once? It was 16 matches but each match wasn't that long and there's no backstage stuff they needed to show to the live crowd so they can just have match after match and it would probably be the length of a Raw taping. Round 2 is eight matches so that was probably filmed in one night. The final two rounds will only be three total matches so I imagine that will all be filmed in one night with much longer matches.

I'm guessing they did round one at once, since it's four shows minus post-production, which is the same that NXT does pretty often. Round 2 is interesting. They only announced two matches for next week, which indicates that one or both are going to be really long (one of them, Ibushi/Alexander, is getting serious raves). Now, if they do two matches an episode from here on out... that actually lines up. The round of 16 takes up all of August, the first two Wednesdays of September are the (already taped) quarter-finals, and then the semis and final round are live on September 14.

Now, why the hell did they have to record the quarter finals over a full month before they air? If someone spoils one of those matches now, it also spoils the result of two different second round matches.