Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Koldes

Pokemon Go

243 posts in this topic

Oh man... I just found out about Pokemon Go. This looks amazing! For decades people have said "I wish I could play pokemon in real life" well, this is pretty damn close

You can get an interactive Pokemon game on your phone that responds to where you are in real life, you have to go to water areas to get water pokemon, it will signal when you're near other players playing on their phone, you can set up gyms and stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon_Go

Some hilarious things I've seen so far:

tC6lOE9.png

"So I went to the beach today..." 

sgNhcox.jpg

"On one hand, I might get shot. On the other hand, Pokeballs..." 

uLqqgbhIBWsHFdHUo_z_ZewIQloMYeXK7OjG9fpHCBs (1).jpg

For anyone interested, here's a few things someone learned when driving around today playing and here's a link to the reddit which seems to have a ton of info

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/ 

•  

Spoiler

• To throw a curveball you can shake the ball until it sparkles, this will give the throw a lot of spin so it might take some getting used to. Haven't discovered benefits of making the pokeball sparkle.

• The egg menu is swiped to from your pokemon menu. You have one permanent incubator but you can obtain disposable ones with limited uses to hatch multiple eggs at the same time.

• Pokemon of the same species can have different moves The color of the circle when you are catching a pokemon reveals the difficult of catching it (green/yellow/orange/red)

• I've found the GPS system a little sketchy, it doesn't seem to work perfectly, this could just be related to server stress.

• Once you are level five you choose a faction. This decides what color your gyms are, ALL gyms of your faction color are allies, the greyish gyms are unclaimed, ALL other gyms are rivals.

• Fighting an allied gym is called "training", you can lose etc here but your pokemon cannot faint in training and winning gives you a bit of exp and prestige for you gym. Losing in a rival gym faints your pokemon and they can only be revived with items.

• Prestige is best thought of as life points for your gym. If a rival faction beats your gym enough times you run out and are evicted from the gym which becomes up for grabs again.

• You can only place one pokemon per player in a gym, so if you have friends you can stack a strong team in a single gym to protect your turf.

• When your gym is defeated and the pokemon in it are evicted they return to your party.

• Typing does matter (Electric beats water) though there seems to be some hidden values as well for things like how fast a pokemon attacks, Seadra in particular is really OP feeling.

• In the 4 hours I played I used about 80% of my iPhone 5s' battery and only 23MB of data.

• Stardust is a currency used to power up any pokemon, it is acquired by catching any pokemon. Catching a pokemon for the first time or with special throws will give you a bonus.

• Candies are a currency used to power up and/or evolve a pokemon. It is acquired by catching pokemon or transferring them to Prof. Willow. You will only get candies of the species of pokemon in either method and the species' candy can be used on evolutions (A nidoran candy can be used to power up a nidorino/nidoking).

• Pokestops recharge every 5 minutes with no daily limits.

• Also, I want to add that if you have Pokemon occupying a gym, you can collect rewards! Go to Shop, and on the top right you will see a circle with a number on it. The number reflects how many Pokemon are occupying gyms. You get 10 Pokecoins per Pokemon and I forgot how much stardust, 400 each I want to say? Can't recall, I didn't realize what that was. Anyway, you can only "cash out" once every 21 hours apparently. Credit to ArturPrakapas Confirmed: you receive 10 Pokecoins and 500 stardust per pokemon placed in a gym.

• You can only cash in on 10 gyms max for a total of 100 pokecoins and 5000 stardustCredit to Xeroith

The servers are sketchy right now but this is really cool. Been riding my bike around today just racking up things and have caught a few Pokemon.

2 hours ago, xeph said:

The servers are sketchy right now but this is really cool. Been riding my bike around today just racking up things and have caught a few Pokemon.

Yeah, I expect the servers to be bad for a handful of days here as they figure things out.

I was driving around as my wife played, we were having a blast. 

I hope that they eventually make it so you can battle other players and have better 'end game'. For now it's pretty damn fun.

6 minutes ago, TaNbULL said:

I'm not sure what you expected this to be.

Functional, fun, from the substantial word of mouth. 

3 minutes ago, pen said:

Here comes Ruiner to trash the things you love.

It doesn't even work. My avatar is walking around and turning in this place that looks nothing like my surroundings while I'm standing perfectly still. If I do move, it only gets worse. 

On 7/9/2016 at 6:40 PM, Dylan said:

It doesn't even work. My avatar is walking around and turning in this place that looks nothing like my surroundings while I'm standing perfectly still. If I do move, it only gets worse. 

Mine does that, too. However, if you actually go walking around you'll find more Pokemon. 

11 minutes ago, Dylan said:

(shrugs) It works for me. I downloaded it last night cause everyone at work is apeshit for it and I caught five already, not counting the starter.

17 minutes ago, pen said:

Your avatar should be walking in Google Maps, basically, and changes to your camera when you try to catch a Pokémon. 

Yeah it looks nothing like what a map of the area does. There's roads and shit on the map where there are none in real life. 

6 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Yeah it looks nothing like what a map of the area does. There's roads and shit on the map where there are none in real life. 

Dunno what to tell ya.

Maybe Ruiner is a social construct who lives in a parallel universe completely different from our own where the only thing tethering him to the real world is the GPS map in Pokemon Go

just spitballing of course 

6 minutes ago, xeph said:

Maybe Ruiner is a social construct who lives in a parallel universe completely different from our own where the only thing tethering him to the real world is the GPS map in Pokemon Go

just spitballing of course 

I feel like the evidence supporting this is pretty thin. 

15 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Honestly it's really not a very good game, but I also totally love it, so it's kind of a wash for me.

I'd argue that if you totally love it, then it accomplished its goal.

It's pretty shallow and I don't think it has longevity built into it, but the potential is pretty huge. If they add in trading, shiny pokemon, improve the battle system, increase stops + gyms for rural areas, etc, then it can be a long lasting awesome game. I'm curious to see what they do with it to keep the 'dangling carrot' in front of us, though. 

I love the intense customization, breeding and competitive battling of the regular handheld games. If they can match that even at all, even a fraction of that, I'll probably play this "forever". But if they don't, I think the clunky gym battling as your own form of battling will get old after a few months.

We'll see! For now:

Hatched this 10kg egg and got a Snorlax around 500, used candies on him and got him nice and high. Also did the Pidgey/Lucky Egg thing for a couple decent levels, hence the Pidgeottos. 

13633296_10153743697926009_31471592_o.png

1 hour ago, Koldes said:

Ruiner's the "the book was better than the movie" type of fun guy at a party.

I love this game :)

I almost always prefer the movie to the book. 

And my issue isn't with the game's design, it's with it not working. 

2 minutes ago, Dylan said:

And my issue isn't with the game's design, it's with it not working. 

Are you talking about the servers being down a lot in the first few days?

1 minute ago, Koldes said:

Are you talking about the servers being down a lot in the first few days?

I don't know anything about that. All I know is that it was completely incapable of tracking my position in the world, which renders it a bit not fun. 

I was riding my bike through a local park today and this girl was looking down at her phone on the other side of the path and she looked up and asked "Pokemon Go?" as I came by. This game brings people together!