Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jamie

Which NFL team should I root for?

24 posts in this topic

This is totally a self-infulgent, selfish thread, and I apologize if I'm breaking any sort of code of conduct or board etiquette by making this thread all about yours truly, but with Peyton Manning retiring, I have quite the conundrum: I have no idea which NFL team to root for! I won't know when to be happy or sad; mad or glad; really excited or just a tad. You get the gist of it. 

Here are some of the pros and cons I'm weighing with each of the 32 teams: 

New England Patriots
Pros: I like Jimmy Garoppolo and will probably root for his success as Brady's successor. They're a local team. I like Robert Kraft quite a lot as an owner. 
Cons: Tom Brady is Peyton's arch nemesis so I'm programmed not to like him. Bill Belichick may be the greatest game planner of all-time, but I also don't know just how much I can really stomach the guy. They've already won a ton, and I'd be way late in hopping aboard this bandwagon. 
Verdict: Maybe I could adopt them after Brady retires, and perhaps I'd need Belichick to be gone too. 

New York Jets
Pros: Of local fanbases, I probably sympathize with Jets fans the most. Steve Somers AKA "Schmooze" on WFAN AM is among my favorite sports personalities and is a huge Jets fan. I liked the persona of the team with Fitzpatrick at the helm if he comes back and liked his dynamic with Marshall. 
Cons: I dislike Woody Johnson as an owner. I've never rooted for a New York pro sports team as my team, and I doubt that I'd start now. The Jets also beat the Johnny Unitas Baltimore Colts in Super Bowl 3 which was my dad's team growing up (and why I became a Colts fan when Peyton was a rookie). 
Verdict: Maybe I'd root for them to win the division and have a modicum of success, but they probably wouldn't be *my* team. 

Miami Dolphins
Pros: Adam Gase who got the record breaking/setting season out of Peyton late in his career is now their head coach. And he get Jay Cutler's best statistical season of his career to date as well in Chicago as OC. That's about it. Maybe if Knowshon Moreno signs with them, I'd consider them a long shot? 
Cons: Ndomakong Suh. I don't like Miami as a city. Their owner kinda sucks too. I don't really like Ryan Tannehill all that much either. I don't think that I'll be rooting for this team.
Verdict: Unless they sign one of my favorite players in the NFL, I don't think they're remotely a contender for me.

Buffalo Bills
Pros: Rex Ryan seems like a good, heart-on-his-sleeve kind of guy. The city of Buffalo is probably among the easier cities for me to feel for and root for a sports team located there. 
Cons: While I like Rex, I also feel that he sorta was more of a salesman than a leader as far as finagling his way into getting this job and promising playoff berths only to have the defense regress woefully under his watch. I'm not a big Shady McCoy fan. And outside of him, they don't really have players that I feel strongly positive or negatively about, and neutral is bad as far as a team that I'm gonna root for as MY team. 
Verdict: They'll probably be the team I root for to win the division even over the Jets, and I'd probably root for them in most playoff games if they made it that far except for if/when they should play "my" team, but I don't think they quite have what it takes to be my guys. 

Cincinnati Bengals
Pros: I really like Gio Bernard. He seems like a real good dude.
Cons: A lot of other players on the team...I'm not a big fan. OC Hue Jackson was my favorite individual on the team so with him now off head coaching in Cleveland, I don't think that I'll be as gung ho as I was about Cincy the last few years. 
Verdict: Meh. I'd like them to maybe finally win a playoff game though just to get the monkey off Marvin Lewis's and Andy Dalton's backs. Probably won't be "my" team though.

Pittsburgh Steelers
Pros: I like the city of Pittsburgh. I like their ownership with progressive ideas like the Rooney Rule. 
Cons: I will never like the Steelers. I will never like Roethlisberger. I kinda used to like Mike Tomlin, but ever since Bruce Arians opened up more about how he was let go there...nah, not so much. I love me some Bruce, and you don't do a good guy like that. 
Verdict: I will be rooting for their failure and for them to lose almost every game they play (which they won't) except for maybe when they play Tom Brady's Patriots and one or two other teams that I don't like. 

Baltimore Ravens
Pros: If I had a sports city, Baltimore would certainly be it. The only sports team that I've ever been committed to as my team is the Baltimore Orioles. John Harbaugh, in contrast to his brother, seems like a nice enough guy. Ozzie Newsome is one of the most revered GMs in the biz. 
Cons: I don't think I could root for Joe Flacco. Also the "Mile High Miracle" play really sticks in my craw for giving Peyton another 1st round exit. Ray Lewis and his very questionable history also didn't help this team make a very good first impression on me. 
Verdict: Probably not gonna be a team that I root for.

Cleveland Browns
Pros: I like the idea of rooting for a beloved perennial underdog. I like the karma Cleveland now has going with the Cavs winning and the Indians looking like a legit contender to represent the AL in the world series. The Browns also hired the guy who may be my favorite NFL coach in Hue Jackson as their HC. While I came to not like RG3 much in Washington, he seems humbled by his downfall and perhaps with Hue as his mentor, I could like the new Robert. I also like Sashi Brown and their approach to analytics in getting Paul Depodesta and how that collaborates with Hue's efforts. 
Cons: I don't know if I trust Jimmy Haslam much as an owner. I don't like that this team drafted Johnny Manziel though at least they cut him loose. They probably won't be very good this year so I won't be able to watch them on TV much or root for them to do anything meaningful other than collect high draft picks for 2017. 
Verdict: The Browns will almost certainly be my team in this division and have a real shot to be my team in general, though I don't know how many weeks into the season will pass before they're out of it, and I have to back a different horse down the stretch. 

Houston Texans
Pros: I think Nuk is about as good of a WR as there is in football. As far as NFL superstars go, I like J.J. Watt quite a but. Bill O'Brien says "fuck" a bit too much, but I think he's a pretty good head coach, and I like Crennel as a DC. Crennel has always seemed like a real good guy even if he wasn't a very successful head coach. 
Cons: Brock Osweiler kinda seems dumb. I really like Brian Hoyer and root for him hard, and I actually think Osweiler will be a disappointment/downgrade for them at QB. I really dislike Brian Cushing. And given they dumped Hoyer because of one bad (albeit dreadful) playoff game, I'm kinda meh on the Texans. 
Verdict: Probably won't be rooting for these guys. 

Indianapolis Colts
Pros: While I ditched them for the Broncos when they cut Peyton, I really do quite like Andrew Luck...in fact if I were to meet both Luck and Peyton in real life, I'd probably like Luck better. He seems like a super sweet dude. And I love him tackling interceptors and complimenting defenders when they land a good hit on him. Speaking of sweet dudes, I love Chuck as a guy, and I love his speeches about "living in a vision" rather than living in circumstance and the speech he gave when they won the finale last year. I also think that while Jim Irsay is fucked up in a lot of ways, he seems like a genuine guy who's a softie and loves the team and loves music and really cares about these people.
Cons: I never forgave them for cutting Peyton, even though it was arguably the best thing for Peyton and the right thing for them as well with how dreadful their team was. I also never forgave Jim Irsay for kinda dissing Peyton coldly before Peyton's first game in Indy as a visitor when lamenting that they only won one ring with him. Ryan Grigson seems like a pretty awful GM. Chuck maybe is overrated as a defensive mind as they haven't been very good defensively, though maybe that's a combination of Grigson bringing in bad personnel and them playing in a dome and Luck committing too many turnovers all hurting Chuck's defense.
Verdict: If I can get over having a meathead for a GM, I'll probably at the very least be rooting for the Colts within the division, and maybe I'll go back to them being my team altogether. It's hard not to like Luck and Chuck. 

Jacksonville Jaguars
Pros: I like Gus Bradley as a guy as a head coach and Shahid Khan as an owner. I love their WR duo of A-Rob and Hurns. 
Cons: I don't know if the city of Jacksonville is really my cup of tea. I also wonder how much credit Gus Bradley really deserves as a defensive guy as they only got better the year following his departure under Dan Quinn when they won the super bowl. And if Denard Robinson was asleep behind the wheel of a car in a pond, I don't know what that says about his excitement about it either. :P 
Verdict: I'll probably be rooting for them to do well, but I don't think they'll be my team. And if the Colts are my team, I won't want them to do THAT well. 

Tennessee Titans
Pros: I love Marcus Mariota. I like DeMarco Murray too. 
Cons: I really think Mike Mularkey was a shitty hire as a head coach, and I never liked the Adams family much as an ownership group.
Verdict: I probably won't be too disappointed if they continue to be a doormat of the division as long as Mariota continues to develop and play pretty well and if Murray has a bounce-back season, that'd be nice as well.

Denver Broncos
Pros: They were the team that believed in my guy Peyton and stuck with him even as he became old and gave him a chance to go out and win his 2nd ring and retire a champion. They're the team that I most recently rooted for so I'm attached to some of the guys at this point. I do really like Wade as DC and DeMarcus Ware, and have come to like the new Von Miller far more than how he used to conduct himself before Ware's influence got him on the right path. CJ Anderson's a real gutty, gritty, heady sort of player that I respect a lot. I also think that I could really come to like Paxton Lynch. He seems like a total prince of a guy.
Cons: While Elway is the main guy who believed in Peyton, I've never been a huge John Elway fan. I also can't stand Aqib Talib. Rooting for that dude the last two years, as good as he was, was tough to stomach. 
Verdict: I've always thought of myself as a Peyton fan rather than a Broncos fan, and the original plan was to return to the Colts when he retired, but I found myself reacting "ooo yes, WE got Paxton Lynch" during the 1st round of the draft. I didn't think "we" during the Colts' draft or the Browns' draft. That's certainly telling, but that may just be recency bias. 

Kansas City Chiefs
Pros: I quite like Alex Smith and Jamaal Charles and it's hard not to root for Eric Berry as well. I have family out in Kansas. Lajon Witherspoon and his family live near KC, and he knows some of the guys on this team. Andy Reid and Jeremy Maclin are both pretty cool too.
Cons: The same people who are Chiefs fans are also Royals fans. Ewwwww. I liked the Royals as the lovable underdogs a couple years ago, but the Royals and their fans have become pretty annoying and arrogant. Yordano Ventura has ruined the Royals for me, but probably not enough to make me dislike the Chiefs.
Verdict: I overall like the Chiefs and will probably root for them to do well, but unlikely to be my team. 

Oakland Raiders
Pros: None that I can think of. I do respect Khalil Mack though for sure.
Cons: Want to move to Vegas. Derrek Carr is maybe a bit too overt of a bible-thumper for me though he seems like a nice guy. I never loved Jack Del Rio or the Davis family. I'm still sore about Mark Davis/Reggie McKenzie offing Hue Jackson after he was responsible for their resurgence to respectability. 
Verdict: I will be rooting against the Raiders. 

San Diego Chargers
Pros: San Diego is one of my favorite U.S. cities, and before Peyton was drafted by the Colts and I joined my dad as a Colts fan, the Chargers were my favorite team because I loved the vacation my family had taken there, and I loved their uniforms. I also like Mike McCoy from his work with Peyton and even the year before adapting his offense to be reasonably productive with Tim Tebow at the helm. And Philip Rivers has even become kinda likable with age. 
Cons: Their current uniforms aren't the ones that I fell in love with. The Chargers may leave San Diego soon. I used to hate Rivers. The Chargers caused me a lot of heartbreak once I became a Colts fan as they had a lot of bad beats on Peyton. They don't have any players that I'm really stoked about rooting for. 
Verdict: Maybe if I moved to San Diego and they stuck around, they'd be my team. Otherwise, probably not. 

This took a long time so I'll do the NFC in a few days, regardless of whether anyone is actually interested in my long ramblings of contemplating my fandom :P

But Aaron Rodgers isn't likable at all. He's in commercials where he's always too cool to ever be the butt of the joke, he has a chip on his shoulder cause the poor guy had to wait a whole hour to be drafted and he always blames teammates with facial expressions showing them up on the field and calling them out through the media.

Just now, Mike said:

But Aaron Rodgers isn't likable at all. He's in commercials where he's always too cool to ever be the butt of the joke, he has a chip on his shoulder cause the poor guy had to wait a whole hour to be drafted and he always blames teammates with facial expressions showing them up on the field and calling them out through the media.

Spoken like a bitter Vikings fan

6 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Spoken like a bitter Vikings fan

I have nothing to be bitter over. I've been a Vikings fan since I was around 12 or so so around '99 or '00. It wasn't like I was around for all of the glory days of the Packers. And don't talk to me about being bitter...in my 20+ years of watching sports, I haven't seen a more bitter bunch than Packers fans during Favre's first year in Minnesota.

4 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Except getting your asses whipped by that too cool motherfucker every year

And yet he only has one lousy championship to show for it. Weren't they supposed to be a dynasty?

Just now, Mike said:

And yet he only has one lousy championship to show for it. Weren't they supposed to be a dynasty?

Still one more than any Viking player ever

7 hours ago, Mike said:

he's always too cool to ever be the butt of the joke

He's the butt of the joke for the last half of this commercial.

Having a chip on your shoulder is a way that players can have a fire and drive in them. See: Tom Brady's list of QBs taken ahead of him.

On topic:

Jamie, you pretty much are going to be a bandwagon jumper if you go with any of the successful teams. I'd go with an up and comer that you like if you care about being called that. If not, go with the Pats. :)

If I had to choose a second team to root for in addition to the Pats, it's the Colts. I really love Andrew Luck. 

55 minutes ago, Koldes said:

Having a chip on your shoulder is a way that players can have a fire and drive in them. See: Tom Brady's list of QBs taken ahead of him.

There's a difference between going #199 and #24. 

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

Brady was relatively unknown and didn't have an amazing college career, so he wasn't expecting to go in the first couple rounds. Aaron was a bigger name and was expecting to go much higher. That's also why the cameras were on him watching his frustration and disappointment as he fell.

But really, the concept of how far they fell or where they fell from is irrelevant to my point responding to your point. I was just saying how a chip on your shoulder, regardless of how you get it, can help fuel you. Most coaches say "he's got a chip on his shoulder" in a positive tone speaking about players. 

You also conveniently chose to ignore the 'butt of the jokes' point. :)

3 hours ago, Koldes said:

He's the butt of the joke for the last half of this commercial.

On topic:

Jamie, you pretty much are going to be a bandwagon jumper if you go with any of the successful teams. I'd go with an up and comer that you like if you care about being called that. If not, go with the Pats. :)

If I had to choose a second team to root for in addition to the Pats, it's the Colts. I really love Andrew Luck. 

I don't care about being labeled a bandwagon jumper, but I do tend to gravitate towards underdogs apart from than growing up rooting for Peyton as the exception. If I don't stick with the Broncos or Colts, I'll probably my choose a team that's struggled more than they've succeeded in recent years.

2 hours ago, Koldes said:

You also conveniently chose to ignore the 'butt of the jokes' point. :)

No I watched it. I'll give him credit for wearing the big suit but the other two guys are more made to look like the fool for having him wear it. Rodgers can never just be the only butt of the joke...like when Peyton got destroyed by that kid in ping pong or Watt commercials.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Should also be noted that generally speaking, the chip on Rodgers' shoulder is really attributed to the fact that the only football scholarship he was offered was to a fucking community college.  And I also don't see why it's even a criticism since I guarantee you every player plays with a chip on their shoulder, and if they didn't you'd think they were a douche who thought too highly of themselves.  You just hate the media narrative that gets painted of the guy.

If you want your team to win a Super Bowl sometime before you die, don't pick the Dolphins :D I'm a Fins fan for life, but their front office gives me absolutely no hope at all and my interest in the NFL has blossomed dramatically over the last few years.

You gotta go Vikings. Bright future, young QB, young team, great coach, new stadium, one superstar that is exciting to watch, still underdogs within the conference, no championship history so you can share it for the first time with other fans.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

You gotta go Vikings. Bright future, young QB, young team, great coach, new stadium, one superstar that is exciting to watch, still underdogs within the conference, no championship history so you can share it for the first time with other fans.

Damnit...

He makes a pretty compelling case.

I should make a post like Jamie's because I find it hard to root for the Niners these days. I'd take the Rams, but I haven't seen Goff in NFL action yet. We'll see.

It's cool you're deciding to pick a team, but I've never understood the appeal of just rooting for one player. Take for example Peyton or Lebron, they win everywhere they go...what's the satisfaction of that? I can't tell you how great of a feeling it is to root for a team for years through good and bad seasons, see players come and go, and finally get a championship, it's so satisfying.

but to each his own, and go with Denver, Jamie. We are a world class organization, and defending champs 😀

13 hours ago, Chris7 said:

It's cool you're deciding to pick a team, but I've never understood the appeal of just rooting for one player. Take for example Peyton or Lebron, they win everywhere they go...what's the satisfaction of that? I can't tell you how great of a feeling it is to root for a team for years through good and bad seasons, see players come and go, and finally get a championship, it's so satisfying.

but to each his own, and go with Denver, Jamie. We are a world class organization, and defending champs 😀

Well to clarify here...I really was a Colts fan. But in being a Colts fan, I got so invested in the Manning vs. Brady rivalry and the arguments about Brady being better than Manning because of the ring count really pissing me off. And so then when the Colts cut him, I found myself more invested in where Peyton wound up and him choosing a team where he could win a Super Bowl than I was in the Colts. And then when the Colts brought in a GM as seemingly dumb as Grigson and with Jim Irsay's prescription pill issues and sorta dissing Peyton before he came back to play in Indy, I found myself rooting for Denver when they played Indy. 

Had Peyton played his whole career in Indy and then retired a Colt, this would be easy; I'd still be a Colts fan.

I've decided not to do this for NFC teams as I've just way more invested in AFC football. My most loved and hated teams are all in the AFC. If I were to consider NFC teams, they'd probably be the Cardinals (love Bruce Arians); the Vikings (like Mike Zimmer and a lot of their young players); and the Eagles (but only once Carson Wentz is their starting QB rather than Sam Bradford). I also would love for Todd Gurley and Aaron Donald to get the Rams back to prominence, but I don't think I'll ever be much of a Jared Goff fan. I also love me some Brian Hoyer so if he were ever to take over as starting QB for the Bears, I could be rooting for them, especially as I'm not averse to rooting for John Fox and Danny Trevathan from their days alongside Peyton. 

So I'd say my final choices to be my team really come down to Indy, Denver, Cleveland, KC, and then maybe one of the aforementioned NFC teams, but the 4 AFC teams that I mentioned are all more likely.