Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pen

Voltron

7 posts in this topic

Anyone watching the new Netflix series? I just watched the first episode and it's pretty badass. I like the animation and that it kind of makes fun of itself at times and how crazy it all is.

So now that I've watched all of Season 2, I'd love to discuss the developments with anyone who's watching this.

Spoiler

What a season! Voltron got some new powers (including his flaming sword!), Keith learned his Galra heritage, Pidge found out her brother was freed by some rebel group, Shiro finally dominated Zarkon for possession of the Black Lion, we found out Haggar is Altean, Allura has some crazy magic powers, and we end with Zarkon on life support, Shiro vanished into thin air, and next season we're gonna get Lotor. This show has proven it's got legs and is able to weave a complex plot with interesting characters while still being suitable for children and adults alike. I'm excited for Season 3! I want it now!

But that said, here are some things I would like out of Season 3 or expect:

• We need to explore more of the past between Altea and the Galra empire as it's been made clear that Zarkon and Allura's father not only had an alliance but worked together to create Voltron to begin with. It's intriguing that they once pooled their resources in friendship and it's curious what made Zarkon turn from an ally into the warlord dominating the universe that he is now. We've had bits and pieces hinting at more to the story; now it's time to buckle down and get some answers.
  • I also fully expect the revelation that Haggar is Altean to be explored thoroughly. Did she betray Altea to Zarkon? Was she a prisoner and this is a case of severe Stockholm syndrome? Was she the one behind Zarkon's turn to the dark side the whole time? She seems fiercely loyal to Zarkon even when he's ignoring her advice and obsessing over the Black Lion, so there must be something there that we haven't seen yet. It'll also be interesting how Allura responds to this development moving forward. Already this season she's had to get over her fantastic racism toward the Galra, and now her illusions about her own people have been shattered.
  • Speaking of lineage and such, I'm deeply curious if we'll get more headway next season on either Pidge's or Keith's ulterior goals. I feel like we need at least a major breakthrough for Pidge, since so far we're two seasons deep and all we know is her father was sent to a work camp and her brother was freed by a bunch of rebels that could honestly be anywhere. I'd hate for this to get dragged out much longer. Keith can wait a bit since we just learned about his Galra heritage this season, but I'm curious where the Galra fit into his family. Is his mother Galra? Or further back in his tree?
  • Which brings me to the mystery Galra that showed up when Keith and Hunk went to collect the scaultrite from the Weblum. I feel like there's a reason why we never learned who they were and what their purpose was, and I'm also willing to bet it's why they never considered Keith or Hunk a threat and was okay with helping them on their mission: I think she may be related to Keith and recognized him. Who knows, maybe it's even his mom. Either way, I'm expecting that mystery to pay off in a bigger way down the road. You don't just introduce a mystery character for no reason.
  • I would like next season to involve Lance a bit more as he didn't have a whole lot of moments to shine in this season apart from the episode where he and Hunk met the merpeople and then when he expressed doubt over his role in the group and proved his self-proclaimed status as sharpshooter to be accurate. But unlike all the others, we haven't really seen Lance deal with adversity. Even Hunk had his developments in Season 1 among the Balmera, and besides Keith and Pidge's aforementioned storylines, we've seen Shiro deal with both PTSD and trying to form a bond with the Black Lion, but ultimately Lance's life on the show has been fairly easy. I would like next season to have him be focused on becoming a more essential part of the group and maybe present him with his own conflict to deal with.
  • Finally, I would like to see Sendak return. I was a little surprised that they left him as a loose end this season since the last we saw of him was Shiro sending his cryotube into the vastness of space in Season 1. I thought he'd return at some point but so far we've heard nothing. I have to imagine now that Zarkon is out of commission that we'll need more villains to show up, and while Lotor is obviously the next big bad, if he's anything like the old cartoon's Lotor, he'll be a different and more political kind of big bad. Sendak could provide a physical threat.

Anyway, I hope someone else has their own insights into this show. I'm eager to hear.

I know I'm the only one here who apparently cares about this, but Voltron Season 3 launches on August 4th with 7 episodes, and then in October will return with either Season 4 or Season 3 Part II, I don't know how they're defining things. The idea is less episodes per season, but quicker turnaround time for fans to get new content. I can dig it.

Thoughts on Season 3, although I'm not sure anyone cares.

Spoiler
  • I'm glad the shortened season didn't diminish the level of development within the story and there was a lot packed in to these episodes. However, I do feel like the shortened season may have caused a couple of plot points to be rushed, which feels like a missed opportunity to me.
  • The main criticism is the return of Shiro, which I'm glad happened, but I think it would've been better if the bits of his rescue were interspersed across multiple episodes and resolved later, rather than being resolved completely in episode 4. Granted, we're still unclear on why he vanished to start with and if there's some weird cloning project that he's been part of, but as an example, the scene where he just barely missed Voltron would've been more dramatic as a cliffhanger rather than a climax. We also barely had time to adjust to Keith being the new leader as a result, although I suspect that may also have been intentional seeing as how Keith and Shiro butted heads the next episode.
  • The appearance of Sven from the original Voltron show and nods to his "sacrifice" and trip to the space hospital was a joy to see. Especially his awful accent. I see what you did there, Legendary Defender.
  • Super glad we got the in-depth exploration of the past of Altea and Galra that I wanted, and it's tragic to learn that Zarkon was a pretty affable guy prior to what happened with his wife and the portal rift. It makes me wonder if the living black goo from the rift possessed them? Corrupted them? Is it possible to cleanse them? Although Minerva was kind of cold even before she became Haggar, so I'm curious if she'd still be a problem even after cleansing?
  • Glad we made some headway on Pidge's brother, even if it was a minor aside to learn he's on the other side of the galaxy with what appears to be a coalition of freedom fighters. With him being so far away, I'm not expecting further development on this just yet since they have bigger fish to fry.
  • Glad we didn't waste time not revealing the identity of the Galra Keith ran into last season. A little anticlimactic that it's just Lotor's right hand woman, but it's cool they were seeding Lotor's plans in that early and I suspect there's still more to this than meets the eye. Or at least I want there to be.
  • Cool that we got some unexpected answers about what Voltron actually is, and since Lotor now has a ship made of the same transcendent material, I'm wondering if his ship will grow and learn and morph similar to Voltron?
  • Curious what Lotor's motives actually are. Since his lieutenant showed up last season stealing some scaultrite, this means whatever he's planning has been in the works before he was summoned to lead the empire. He doesn't seem particularly interested in leading either. And why's he attacking Galra bases? Why was he trying to steal a piece of the Teludav? It's very mysterious and I expect big payoff.
  • I wanted Lance to tackle adversity this season and even though I didn't get a centric episode like with Shiro's PTSD and Hunk's adventures with the Balmera, I'm glad that he is still plagued with doubt about his role on the team and questioning whether he should stay, especially after Shiro returns and with Allura already having command of what used to be his lion.
  • On a similar note, I'm glad Keith and Lance have stepped things up between them to offer support; Lance vouching for Keith as leader and Keith attempting to put Lance's doubts about his place on the team to rest. It's nice to see how far they've grown since the first season, where they hated each other.
  • Allura trying to act like Lance to activate the blue lion was pretty hilarious. I also find it amusing that even though they've switched lions, they're still wearing their old colors, so Keith still wears red in the Black Lion, Lance blue in the Red Lion, and Allura in pink now as the Blue Lion... if you thought you could color-coordinate the heroes, think again...
  • Interesting about the tepid reception that the Blade of Marmora keeps receiving from the freed populace. Kind of wonder if that will figure into any future developments? Last season had Allura overcoming her slight racism of the Galra; now it's time to work on the rest of the universe?
  • A little disappointed that Sendak is still MIA, but with Lotor introduced this season and him having four distinct lieutenants, there's just not a lot of room to explore anyone else. This may also be a side effect of the shortened season that we don't get any breathing room episodes or diversions from the main story. I would still like him to return at some point, but I realize there are bigger fish to fry right now.
  • Finally, I'm not sure how I feel about the end of this season and Zarkon's potential revival. It feels like we've barely scratched the surface of Lotor and his plans and we're already getting Zarkon back, just seven episodes after he was incapacitated? I'm starting to suspect he won't really be back so much as a meat puppet for Haggar to try to undermine Lotor, but if he really is back, I think it's a bit too soon. That being said, I trust the writers of this show as they haven't let me down yet, so I'll wait for October and see what happens in Season 4.

Anyway, I can't stress enough how much I recommend this show for anyone who loves well-crafted cartoons and giant robot mech action. I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did when Season 1 came out, and now three seasons deep I'm completely invested in this show and what happens next. It's well worth the time spent watching.