Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

E3 2016

115 posts in this topic

Wait wait wait, INSOMNIAC is making Spider-Man?!  Not that I'm not a fan, but the idea of Sucker Punch Spidey seemed so perfect.  I'm actually a little disappointed now.

I was very impressed with that press conference. They beat Xbox and it was a squash match. Thoughts...

- Really surprised that my boys at Insomniac are developing the Spider-Man game instead of Sucker Punch but they're good at open world as seen with Sunset Overdrive and they always make great games so I'm sure it will be fun...awful suit notwithstanding.

- I thought Days Gone looked really cool. It was World War Z zombies mixed with The Last of Us. I like the different take on zombies. Looked really cool.

- Horizon looks okay. The story seems like it'll be good but shooting that bow a million times seems like it'll get old.

- That Detroit game looks really cool. It was revealed a while back and it seems like no one noticed then. Investigating and stuff seen in the trailer seems like it'll be good for a Quantic Dream game instead of them trying and failing at action. The story seems like it could be really good.

- I was upset to see that P.T. 2 was in fact Resident Evil and not P.T. 2. So it's first-person now?

- That host, not Andrew House, the other guy, what a goofball. Phil Spencer is a way better host than that clown.

- I was disappointed when I realized that we were about to embark on a 45-minute Call of Duty demo but I thought it actually looked really good.

- Kojima's game (despite the goofy name) looks interesting. I thought it was a Matrix game at first with the baby plugged in. Those...beings...at the end floating in the air were really creepy. I loved how Kojima was treated like the rockstar that he is when he was introduced. Outside of Nintendo, a Kojima game is the only Japanese-developed game I'll ever bother with.

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Wait wait wait, INSOMNIAC is making Spider-Man?!  Not that I'm not a fan, but the idea of Sucker Punch Spidey seemed so perfect.  I'm actually a little disappointed now.

Yeah I feel the same way. I got all excited when I saw Insomniac was making it. I assumed they were mostly just making crappy VR games and then Song of the Deep for the rest of the year. But now that the initial excitement has worn off, it is a little disappointing because to do a comparison...I'd rather Spider-Man feel more like Infamous than Sunset Overdrive...not that it will feel anything like Sunset Overdrive. I'm curious what Sucker Punch is up to. Almost two years of silence. They must be up to something big. Hopefully a new franchise.

Just now, Andrew said:

WAIT A MOTHERFUCKING CRASH REMASTER?  BE STILL MY HEART.

And then you could hear a pin drop when it was revealed as a remaster and then Skylanders. The Crash shadow of the host walking was cool.

Oh shit, I didn't even catch that Spidey was Insomniac and not Sucker Punch. I love those guys too, but SP has established themselves as the GOAT of open-world superhero gameplay with Second Son, it seemed so perfect. 

Does that mean it'll be a multiplat title and not an exclusive like it would've been with Sucker Punch? 

1 minute ago, Dylan said:

Does that mean it'll be a multiplat title and not an exclusive like it would've been with Sucker Punch? 

At the end of it it said #spidermanps4 so I'm assuming this means it's exclusive to PS4. Fine by me. Better graphics will be better for the open world and the PlayStation controller is better for those types of games.

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

Horizon looks okay. The story seems like it'll be good but shooting that bow a million times seems like it'll get old.

Let me add that shooting never gets old. And that doesn't mean that I have a problem with bows in games. The bow was really fun in The Last of Us, Tomb Raider, Crysis and other games that use it but it just seems weird that you're fighting giant robot dinosaurs and you're slowly chipping away at them with slow bows.

3 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Oh shit, I didn't even catch that Spidey was Insomniac and not Sucker Punch. I love those guys too, but SP has established themselves as the GOAT of open-world superhero gameplay with Second Son, it seemed so perfect. 

Insomniac has clarified that it is a PS4 exclusive

I love that those dudes don't seem to have a console allegiance anymore.  They're like awesome free agent devs.

"an original #spiderman universe"

This is going to be great. Not tied to any movie or anything. Just Insomniac doing what they want with Spider-Man, like Rocksteady for Batman.

Speaking of, what the hell are you supposed to do in a Batman VR game? Just detective work?

41 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'm sure it will be fun...awful suit notwithstanding

You say that like there's been any Spiderman game in the last 10 + years that didn't have alternate suits. I'm sure they will have some form of classic suit.

4 minutes ago, xeph said:

You say that like there's been any Spiderman game in the last 10 + years that didn't have alternate suits. I'm sure they will have some form of classic suit.

Yeah but that's probably the main suit in the trailer. Gotta have a cool main suit and I didn't like that one.

Also, Phantom Dust has not been canceled and will be out in 2017.

Sony had a MONSTER of a showing. Great looking games all around. I heard rumor (and it's most certainly a rumor, it could be made up) that the conference was supposed to close with a new Red Dead, but the trailer had an outlaw shooting innocent civilians in a saloon, so Rockstar didn't want to put it out due to the Orlando tragedies. They wanted Sony to delay the conference a few hours so they could edit a new trailer. Again, this could be totally fake, but it makes sense and also could be why they ended with that Days Gone gameplay. I think that was supposed to be shown with the trailer, but Sony had to move something to the end. 

Also, Mike: MOST people aren't going to build their own gaming PC at all, so those people will still buy an Xbox, since it is a hassle-free way to play these games. It's definitely more enticing for me to buy the Xbox One version digitally since it's also going to give me the PC version. I like that I'm no longer tied to my TV. If my wife wants to watch TV, and I want to play the newest Xbox exclusive, I can just go get on my computer. They're just going after the PC crowd, which is very smart. Sony can't do that. 

2 hours ago, TaNbULL said:

Sony had a MONSTER of a showing. Great looking games all around. I heard rumor (and it's most certainly a rumor, it could be made up) that the conference was supposed to close with a new Red Dead, but the trailer had an outlaw shooting innocent civilians in a saloon, so Rockstar didn't want to put it out due to the Orlando tragedies. They wanted Sony to delay the conference a few hours so they could edit a new trailer. Again, this could be totally fake, but it makes sense and also could be why they ended with that Days Gone gameplay. I think that was supposed to be shown with the trailer, but Sony had to move something to the end. 

Also, Mike: MOST people aren't going to build their own gaming PC at all, so those people will still buy an Xbox, since it is a hassle-free way to play these games. It's definitely more enticing for me to buy the Xbox One version digitally since it's also going to give me the PC version. I like that I'm no longer tied to my TV. If my wife wants to watch TV, and I want to play the newest Xbox exclusive, I can just go get on my computer. They're just going after the PC crowd, which is very smart. Sony can't do that. 

An interesting theory, but in that case I'd have just closed with Spidey. (when the trailer first came on I actually assumed it was the end of the show). 

That Red Dead cancellation sorta makes sense. Why show a trailer for Days Gone and then an hour later show the gameplay footage of it? But there would've still been better options to go on last. Death Stranding would've been a good one. Maybe God of War. I was taking a bathroom break when The Last Guardian showed up but I returned in time to see the big ovation it got when the release date was announced. That could've closed the show too.

50 minutes ago, Dylan said:

An interesting theory, but in that case I'd have just closed with Spidey. (when the trailer first came on I actually assumed it was the end of the show). 

I feel like the trailer was way too short to close the show.

I nope'd right the fuck out of that Resident Evil 7 demo. Nuh-uh. 

From what I gathered, though, there were inventory slots you could map to the d-pad where weapons would logically go, so it looks like it's not just a hide-and-seek horror game that is so busy being terrifying that it forgets to be fun. I get the impression there's a lot they're not showing us. 

Phil Spencer on Project Scorpio: "Consumer expectation is that, if you wanted to, you could go buy a new cell phone every year. I don’t want to get into that mode with a console. I see the next inflection point as 4K, and I want to make sure we have a console there to support that, and Scorpio will do that. We’re not on a hardware tick-tock that says I need to put out a console every two years or every one year to get people to upgrade. That’s not the console model."

Well this eases my concerns a bit.

So the PS4 and XboxOne are both are getting upgrades, but how does that help?  I'm confused.  How can a developer use this extra power when there will be millions of consoles out there without it?  Will we see games only compatible with upgraded versions?  Has anyone seen anything on a explanation about these things?  I haven't read anything from Sony or Microsoft about it.