Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ruiner

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

24 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Spoiler tags are near useless if there isn't some allusion to what's inside them.

Picking this up in the morning.

Yeah I thought of that pretty much immediately after I posted it. 

I just canceled GameFly cause my friend is letting me borrow Quantum Break and the only other game I want is Uncharted 4 so there's no reason for me to keep the service now. I usually get GameFly for a few months once a year around this time so I'm probably done with it now for a year. The only problem is that Uncharted 4 is a long game and it would be tough to buy it used at GameStop and return it within a week to get a full refund and I don't want to buy it new because once I finish the campaign I'll be done with it forever. But I don't want to end up reading the inevitable spoiler that Nate dies so I can't really wait until the next time I get GameFly to play it. I'm gonna check to see if Costco has it tomorrow so I can buy it there and then return it when I'm done. If they don't have it I'll probably just buy it on Amazon Prime for $48 and then trade it in.

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

I just canceled GameFly cause my friend is letting me borrow Quantum Break and the only other game I want is Uncharted 4 so there's no reason for me to keep the service now. I usually get GameFly for a few months once a year around this time so I'm probably done with it now for a year. The only problem is that Uncharted 4 is a long game and it would be tough to buy it used at GameStop and return it within a week to get a full refund and I don't want to buy it new because once I finish the campaign I'll be done with it forever. But I don't want to end up reading the inevitable spoiler that Nate dies so I can't really wait until the next time I get GameFly to play it. I'm gonna check to see if Costco has it tomorrow so I can buy it there and then return it when I'm done. If they don't have it I'll probably just buy it on Amazon Prime for $48 and then trade it in.

Gamestop brought back those promotions where trading towards a pre-order boosts the value of your trade-ins, so if you trade it within like a month of release after buying it cheap on Amazon and put it towards No Man's Sky, it should mostly pay for itself. 

Yeah I've used those promotions before and I do still need to pre-order No Man's Sky. I'm off today and wouldn't get caught dead at work so I texted my friend to let me know if they have Uncharted at Costco. If they don't have it I'm just gonna buy it on Amazon and while I wait for it to get here I'll work on finishing up my challenge mode playthrough of Ratchet & Clank.

3 minutes ago, Mike said:

Yeah I've used those promotions before and I do still need to pre-order No Man's Sky. I'm off today and wouldn't get caught dead at work so I texted my friend to let me know if they have Uncharted at Costco. If they don't have it I'm just gonna buy it on Amazon and while I wait for it to get here I'll work on finishing up my challenge mode playthrough of Ratchet & Clank.

You don't buy your groceries at work? 

2 minutes ago, Dylan said:

You don't buy your groceries at work? 

I live at home. I don't buy any groceries. The only food/drink I buy myself is Diet Dew. But if I did buy groceries, I'd buy them at the end of my shift. I haven't been to those unholy grounds of work on my day off since I went there one day to buy a TV back in 2011.

Just now, Mike said:

I live at home. I don't buy any groceries. The only food/drink I buy myself is Diet Dew. But if I did buy groceries, I'd buy them at the end of my shift. I haven't been to those unholy grounds of work on my day off since I went there one day to buy a TV back in 2011.

I still bought my own groceries when I lived at home.

4 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I still bought my own groceries when I lived at home.

My mom buys all the regular food for the house so that covers that. The only stuff that she didn't buy that I'd buy is junk food and I don't need anymore of that.

So I played up until the point where the main plot kicks in (about two hours) and stopped last night. Some non-spoilery thoughts... 

- It has to be said, Naughty Dog truly is without an equal when it comes to presentation in video games. While the story is highly unlikely to reach the heights in writing that The Last of Us did, the direction is as big a leap over anything before it as Uncharted 2 was over Drake's Fortune. 

- The hand-to-hand combat has again been improved tenfold, and it again has all of its weaknesses exposed in an early brawl scene that goes long enough for you to see every animation multiple times. It's perfect when mixed with gunplay and platforming, such is why it seems like such an error to burn you out on all of its tricks before you even get to the meat of the game. 

- A pretty decent chunk of time is spent in Nathan's normal life, and it couldn't be more perfect. I honestly wish I could've seen more of it. And it's really important that they nailed this as well as they did because it makes you appreciate the stakes at hand when he inevitably gets back in the game and risks this wonderful normal life he's built. I was legitimately disappointed to leave it behind. Give me ten hours of Nathan and Elena play bickering over video games and this game is a 10/10.

And while I didn't love the ending, I will say it was the best ending of an Uncharted game, with only Among Thieves coming close. 

This has become my favorite game in the series. Among Thieves was my favorite up to this point. I had no issues with the ending at all. 

I couldn't get into it during the beta or the initial times I tried it, but I've gotten fully hooked on the multiplayer. It's not as deep and the maps aren't as good as Uncharted 3 but it's very addictive. Not quite as good as The Last of Us's MP but that's a very high bar to clear. And I've barely unlocked anything so far, I'm having a blast just swinging around shooting folks with my pistol. 

While this came across as more of a funny voice comedy video at first, I think this review really nails down my big issue with the story. I liked the game a good bit more than this guy, but his analysis of the direction of the third act couldn't be more spot-on. 

So I beat this a few days ago. Spoiler-filled good and bad thoughts...

Good...

Spoiler

+ The story was fantastic. In all of these previous Uncharted games (and even in the Indiana Jones movies) I'm completely lost when they're mentioning a bunch of different characters and events from the past that you only hear explained and don't see. The exposition in hard to follow and boring. But the pirate backstory was easy to understand and genuinely interesting. Sam was a great new character, Rafe was a pretty good villain and the main three are obviously fantastic.

+ When you're swimming out of the collapsing cave at the end of the game, for the first time since the end of Halo 3 was I concerned that the main character wasn't going to make it out alive. I was very happy Nate made it and even though going in I assumed Sam was going to die, I'm glad he made it too.

+ The epilogue was great. I was so happy with the fate of these characters. When it was all wrapping up, I was feeling emotions I didn't even know I felt for this franchise. It's a shame there will be single player DLC as the ending was perfect and I don't want to ever see these characters in something else again. It was probably the best ending I've ever seen in a video game. True closure and the perfect ending.

+ I've mentioned before that I'm not a huge fan of the fake platforming in Uncharted but I loved some of the stuff they added to the gameplay. The grappling hook was a great addition to the game. I love how it tied into the platforming and the combat. The stick thingy you stick in walls was cool too and I wish it was introduced earlier in the game. The sliding stuff was fun as well.

+ The graphics are the best I've ever seen. It took me 14 hours to beat the game on easy and outside of exploring and regular progression, I spent a good amount of time just admiring the sights.

+ They were nice enough to give you two days free of PS+ so I got to try the multiplayer. I thought it was really great. The worse graphics (standard for online portions of games) allowed for what I believe was 60 FPS and it felt great online. It still felt like Uncharted but more fluid which is good online. I love seeing cover used, teammates sticking together. This is what Gears of War online should be like instead of a shitty shotgun fest. It Uncharted was on Xbox and I had friends to play with, I know I would've spent a lot more time on it over the years throughout these games.

+ As I play Quantum Break now, it has become painfully clear how much better the third-person movement is in Uncharted compared to most other similar games out there.

- The puzzles were fun. The open world driving stuff was awesome and I'd love to see Naughty Dog do a full open world game and put crap like GTA to shame.

+ I enjoyed a lot of the stuff that wasn't progressing the story and was just a break in the action. At Nate's house near the beginning, the optional conversations, stuff like that. I imagine some of this stuff might be boring on a second playthrough if you just want a streamlined experience but I won't be playing the game again so that stuff was fine by me.

Bad...

Spoiler

- With that said, I did think the game ran a tad long. The Last of Us allowed the game to breath as well and it still felt much more streamlined. A review I saw complained about an overly long action jungle sequence near the end but that didn't seem overly long to me. It never felt like they were stretching it out to show off their video game penis size like Alien: Isolation did, but I felt the game could've been about two hours shorter.

- The shooting still doesn't feel like it packs a punch. You still feel like you're shooting through thin air. And even on easy it still takes way too many bullets to take an enemy down.

- I don't have that much of a problem with the climbing, but you probably spent at least half the game doing it so I wish it was more fun. I don't know how anyone could play these games a second time and do all that climbing all over again.

- I was expecting Sam to betray Nate all along and I didn't have a problem with it. What I didn't like was that we had a whole gameplay section that basically amounted to the developers just tricking the people playing the game into thinking it was a real. The betrayal felt cheap and not genuine.

- I thought everything with Nadine sucked. Nate beats up a million people in these games and he can't even beat up one girl. Him and Sam together can't even beat her up. And I knew two seconds into that first fight when she was reversing all of my moves that the game wasn't going to allow you to hit a woman. I totally got sucked out of the experience at that point because I knew the fight was bullshit and you could've fought her for three hours and not land a punch. The only time she ever got hit was when Nate jumped on her and punched her at the end of the second fight. And then she ends up surviving at the end even though she was a bitch and should've died or had something bad happen to her. What a crappy, pointless character with an unsatisfying ending. They shouldn't have even included her in the game.

45 minutes ago, Mike said:

So I beat this a few days ago. Spoiler-filled good and bad thoughts...

Good...

Reveal hidden contents

+ The story was fantastic. In all of these previous Uncharted games (and even in the Indiana Jones movies) I'm completely lost when they're mentioning a bunch of different characters and events from the past that you only hear explained and don't see. The exposition in hard to follow and boring. But the pirate backstory was easy to understand and genuinely interesting. Sam was a great new character, Rafe was a pretty good villain and the main three are obviously fantastic.

+ When you're swimming out of the collapsing cave at the end of the game, for the first time since the end of Halo 3 was I concerned that the main character wasn't going to make it out alive. I was very happy Nate made it and even though going in I assumed Sam was going to die, I'm glad he made it too.

+ The epilogue was great. I was so happy with the fate of these characters. When it was all wrapping up, I was feeling emotions I didn't even know I felt for this franchise. It's a shame there will be single player DLC as the ending was perfect and I don't want to ever see these characters in something else again. It was probably the best ending I've ever seen in a video game. True closure and the perfect ending.

+ I've mentioned before that I'm not a huge fan of the fake platforming in Uncharted but I loved some of the stuff they added to the gameplay. The grappling hook was a great addition to the game. I love how it tied into the platforming and the combat. The stick thingy you stick in walls was cool too and I wish it was introduced earlier in the game. The sliding stuff was fun as well.

+ The graphics are the best I've ever seen. It took me 14 hours to beat the game on easy and outside of exploring and regular progression, I spent a good amount of time just admiring the sights.

+ They were nice enough to give you two days free of PS+ so I got to try the multiplayer. I thought it was really great. The worse graphics (standard for online portions of games) allowed for what I believe was 60 FPS and it felt great online. It still felt like Uncharted but more fluid which is good online. I love seeing cover used, teammates sticking together. This is what Gears of War online should be like instead of a shitty shotgun fest. It Uncharted was on Xbox and I had friends to play with, I know I would've spent a lot more time on it over the years throughout these games.

+ As I play Quantum Break now, it has become painfully clear how much better the third-person movement is in Uncharted compared to most other similar games out there.

- The puzzles were fun. The open world driving stuff was awesome and I'd love to see Naughty Dog do a full open world game and put crap like GTA to shame.

+ I enjoyed a lot of the stuff that wasn't progressing the story and was just a break in the action. At Nate's house near the beginning, the optional conversations, stuff like that. I imagine some of this stuff might be boring on a second playthrough if you just want a streamlined experience but I won't be playing the game again so that stuff was fine by me.

Bad...

Reveal hidden contents

- With that said, I did think the game ran a tad long. The Last of Us allowed the game to breath as well and it still felt much more streamlined. A review I saw complained about an overly long action jungle sequence near the end but that didn't seem overly long to me. It never felt like they were stretching it out to show off their video game penis size like Alien: Isolation did, but I felt the game could've been about two hours shorter.

- The shooting still doesn't feel like it packs a punch. You still feel like you're shooting through thin air. And even on easy it still takes way too many bullets to take an enemy down.

- I don't have that much of a problem with the climbing, but you probably spent at least half the game doing it so I wish it was more fun. I don't know how anyone could play these games a second time and do all that climbing all over again.

- I was expecting Sam to betray Nate all along and I didn't have a problem with it. What I didn't like was that we had a whole gameplay section that basically amounted to the developers just tricking the people playing the game into thinking it was a real. The betrayal felt cheap and not genuine.

- I thought everything with Nadine sucked. Nate beats up a million people in these games and he can't even beat up one girl. Him and Sam together can't even beat her up. And I knew two seconds into that first fight when she was reversing all of my moves that the game wasn't going to allow you to hit a woman. I totally got sucked out of the experience at that point because I knew the fight was bullshit and you could've fought her for three hours and not land a punch. The only time she ever got hit was when Nate jumped on her and punched her at the end of the second fight. And then she ends up surviving at the end even though she was a bitch and should've died or had something bad happen to her. What a crappy, pointless character with an unsatisfying ending. They shouldn't have even included her in the game.

Didn't you only play the first several hours of Alien? 

18 minutes ago, Mike said:

I played about 12 of the 18 hours. 

Ah okay. I wasn't sure where you were getting that from. 

3 hours ago, Dylan said:

Ah okay. I wasn't sure where you were getting that from. 

Going by the IGN guide, I think I completed mission 10 and then stopped. I'm not 100% sure as it has been over a year since I played it last but I think that's where I stopped. It felt like they were building towards the end and then it was just the mid-season finale and I gave up. I think I would've loved the game if there were no aliens or robots. I could've easily had a blast just going around exploring their fantastically accurate portrayal of the Alien universe.

Also, there's no fucking way anyone could get that trophy for beating Uncharted 4 in less than six hours. Even if you erase every enemy from the game, it still seems like it would take more than six hours just to navigate from the beginning to the end.

16 minutes ago, Mike said:

Going by the IGN guide, I think I completed mission 10 and then stopped. I'm not 100% sure as it has been over a year since I played it last but I think that's where I stopped. It felt like they were building towards the end and then it was just the mid-season finale and I gave up. I think I would've loved the game and there were no aliens or robots. I could've easily had a blast just going around exploring their fantastically accurate portrayal of the Alien universe.

Also, there's no fucking way anyone could get that trophy for beating Uncharted 4 in less than six hours. Even if you erase every enemy from the game, it still seems like it would take more than six hours just to navigate from the beginning to the end.

Yeah Evil Within had a similar trophy for beating it in 5. Along with another for beating the game on a one-shot death crazy difficulty with a Japanese name. And Alien actually had one for beating the whole thing without dying once.

I bring these up because I love batshit insane trophies like that. 

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

Lol. I'm the opposite. I hate those kinds of achievements/trophies. 

I like them because they're actual achievements and not stuff any asshole can do. The only trophy I have that I remotely care about is my Bloodborne plat, because some real goddamn effort went into it. And that one wasn't even difficult at all compared to those other ones I named. The guy who got that Akumu difficulty trophy in The Evil Within is one strong-willed son of a bitch.