Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs

72 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Mike said:

It's a shame my team hasn't been involved in meaningful playoff hockey in 13 years because there is nothing like it in sports.

I know the feeling well. The Panthers have only made the playoffs now five times in their existence. Twice since 2001 and have not won a playoff round since 1996. It's likely that those days are behind me though.

A good team in the NHL starts with the right front ownership and front office in place to build a team from the ground up. Free agency can't make a team like it did in the 90's. If you have that, you're likely good for awhile. 

So... yeah. I'm kind of bummed today that my boys are done until October. Although, I know I should be damn proud of the Panthers for starting of what should be many years of contending for a Cup. I'm not saying the Islanders didn't deserve to win their series. Greiss was a goddamn wall and Tavares was incredible. However, the refs missed that huge trip on Smith which led to Tavares tying the game up. The refs are just overall terrible in every series in this year's playoffs it seems. I saw plenty of bad calls or non-calls in that Caps/Flyers game yesterday.

The Panthers special teams throughout the series was awful, Jagr was shut down, and they couldn't take advantage of winning the games (Barkov missing a penalty shot in Game 5 and Smith hitting the crossbar in Game 6). It's just amazing that the Islanders only led for 45 of 439 minutes or something of the series. I pissed off my Panthers buddies by saying that I'm still rooting for the Islanders in Round 2 as I refuse to root for the Lightning.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Game 7 of the Blues and Hawks tonight and that Caps/Pens series should be awesome.

Tonight, in what I'm pretty sure is happening for the first time since I've been watching hockey, the NHL will be doing something that can best be described as lunacy. In a similar fashion to the NBA, tonight the NHL will have a new round of the playoffs begin while the previous round is still going on. I don't have all my picks yet for the next round but I will be going with Tampa Bay over the the Islanders. I'm not confident with this pick at all. The Islanders seem like one of those strong underdog playoff teams that you can see upset multiple teams and go far in the playoffs.

This is hard to watch. Caps best game and they are losing by 3. Schmidt had two huge errors on that third goal.

If the Caps win tonight, we'll have three Game 7's in the semi-finals. I'm on the Predators bandwagon if they move onto the Conference Finals. That team just never quits and their fans seem awesome.

3 hours ago, American_Idiot said:

If the Caps win tonight, we'll have three Game 7's in the semi-finals. I'm on the Predators bandwagon if they move onto the Conference Finals. That team just never quits and their fans seem awesome.

I'm so nervous for the Caps game tonight.. Glad we have Orpik back and he should be rested. I like the Preds as well, especially since they have Johansen. 

I feel bad for Ovi and Caps fans. I think he'll get his Cup before he retires. I actually chose them to play the Ducks in the Cup in my bracket, so that was screwed from the start.

On one of the hockey forums that I daily participate in/read, someone asked the question is it better to be a fan of a bottom feeder team or one that makes the playoffs almost every season and doesn't win a Cup like the Caps, Sharks, or Blues. As a fan of a team that was a team that was a bottom feeder for 14 of the last 15 seasons, I'd definitely choose one that at least consistently makes the playoffs. However, I can completely understand frustration when you don't finish in a bad position to rebuild each season nor achieve a championship. 

I'm rooting for whoever makes the Cup in the West as I don't like either team in the East. 

Yeah and that series was hella close too.  Wouldn't have shocked me if it went to seven, we were real lucky to win in six.  With the Caps out of the way though, I love the Pens chances at maybe getting Sid and Geno another cup.  We just beat the best team in the league with neither of those guys showing up on the scoresheets and with MAF sidelined the entire time.  Matt Murray is has gotten thrown into the fire and he's not even sweating, so excited about this dude.

2 hours ago, American_Idiot said:

On one of the hockey forums that I daily participate in/read, someone asked the question is it better to be a fan of a bottom feeder team or one that makes the playoffs almost every season and doesn't win a Cup

Speaking of bottom feeders, it's mind boggling that the Oilers are in line for yet another #1 pick in the draft and yet they continue to suck. If they win the lottery, this will be the fifth time in seven years that they had the first pick in the draft. That's almost two full lines of #1 picks in the draft.

And I'd much rather my team make the playoffs every year. The first year I got into hockey the Avalanche won the Cup (2001) and they were good for another two years after that and they have mostly sucked for the next 13 years. It's brutal.

Losing sucks, but they had a great season and I can honestly say I enjoyed watching them this year much more than previous seasons. The Caps admittedly have a lot of bandwagon fans, but as one of the ones that watches almost every single game, I got to watch lots of wins and lots of great hockey.

If it had been a tumultuous season with a bunch of controversy and drama, they squeaked into the playoffs and somehow won the cup it would be amazing right then, but on the whole  I'd have less enjoyment overall. Of course having the great season then winning the cup would've been the greatest thing ever, but I'm still happy with the year.

15 hours ago, Andrew said:

Bishop hurt badly. I don't wanna win like this :(

I know you probably meant the series, but I have to say I had a good chuckle when I saw this last night then looked at the score.

2 minutes ago, Vigo said:

I know you probably meant the series, but I have to say I had a good chuckle when I saw this last night then looked at the score.

Yeah, the series.  Tampa still played pretty well without him last night, figures we'd have our best scoring chances before he left the game.  I wouldn't underestimate them just because their star goalie is out of the picture, but I think my Pens can still solve them at some point.