Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs

72 posts in this topic

I've watched almost no hockey this year so after a few brief minutes of research, the following are my half-assed picks...

Washington over Philadelphia
Florida over NY Islanders
Pittsburgh over NY Rangers
Tampa Bay over Detroit

Dallas over Minnesota
Anaheim over Nashville
Chicago over St. Louis
Los Angeles over San Jose

The stats look better for the Blues but it's playoff choke time so I obviously can't pick them.

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I've watched almost no hockey this year so after a few brief minutes of research, the following are my half-assed picks...

Washington over Philadelphia
Florida over NY Islanders
Pittsburgh over NY Rangers
Tampa Bay over Detroit

Dallas over Minnesota
Anaheim over Nashville
Chicago over St. Louis
Los Angeles over San Jose

The stats look better for the Blues but it's playoff choke time so I obviously can't pick them.

Capitals

Panthers

Rangers

Tampa

Stars

Preds

Hawks

Sharks

i have Tampa over San Jose in 6 in the finals.

I knew that there was a reason that I liked you guys (since you all chose the Panthers to win their series :)

Anyway, I'm going with:

Round 1:

Caps over Flyers in 5

Penguins over Rangers in 6

Panthers over Islanders in 6

Lightning over Red Wings in 6 

Stars over Wild in 5

Hawks over Blues in 7

Ducks over Predators in 5

Kings over Sharks in 6

Round 2

Caps over Pens

Panthers over Lightning (I've been waiting 22 years for this damn matchup)

Hawks over Stars

Kings over Ducks

Round 3

Caps over Panthers

Hawks over Kings

Stanley Cup

Caps over Hawks

Man this Caps-Flyers game is getting chippy... seriously worried about Orpik, that didn't look good what so ever. Pretty dirty hit too

1 hour ago, heldjc said:

Man this Caps-Flyers game is getting chippy... seriously worried about Orpik, that didn't look good what so ever. Pretty dirty hit too

He (White) went up high on Orpik, and ended up getting tossed in the third. I think two Flyers will be suspended Wednesday (boarding Orlov in the third). I really hope Orpik isn't out long. Hope they can sweep and everybody can rest up.

The icing on the cake was the garbage fans getting a penalty for their second bout of throwing garbage on the ice... And then the Caps dropping two more PP goals on them in the aftermath.

31 minutes ago, Chris7 said:

I don't think I've ever been more embarrassed of our fan base than I was tonight. And that's saying a lot,

I will say much respect to Simmonds for yelling at fans while it was happening and for calling them on it after the game. 

I don't get why fans all wear matching colors. As if the Caps were gonna say "oh shit we're doomed now, they're all wearing orange!" I'm glad none of my favorite sports teams do gimmicks like matching shirts or towels.

1 hour ago, Chris7 said:

I don't think I've ever been more embarrassed of our fan base than I was tonight. And that's saying a lot,

I'm not speaking of you specifically as you seem like a cool and respectable fan, but Philly fans are seriously the worst in all sports. What I saw tonight from disrespecting the moment of silence for Ed Snider, to booing Orpik when getting injured, and then throwing their bracelets in memory of Snider onto the ice is just awful. I shouldn't be surprised since they are the same fans that that threw snowballs at Santa, batteries at JD Drew, and booed Michael Irvin when he had a career ending injury.

Anyway, I'm pissed as hell at the Panthers right now. They've overall dominated in the series against the Islanders as the Isles have only led for 17 minutes in the series, but they cannot hold a damn lead, have been pathetic on special teams, defense, somewhat goaltending by Luongo, and are down 2-1 in their series. The Islanders are taking complete advantage of their chances when almost every major analyst chose them not to win the series. 

I like how the Wild, while I think are still not beating the Stars in their series are making it interesting by winning tonight. I can't believe the Sharks are likely to beat the Kings with tonight and the next game in San Jose. I doubt what happened two years ago happens again.

Yeah that was pretty bush league on the part of the Flyers fans. Have to think the hit on Orlov is a suspension for sure, the other one wasn't quite as bad but it was still bad. Losing Orpik for a long period of time could be bad, but if we get the sweep he should have an extended time to get healthy. Everyone for the Caps is playing at such a high level right now, have to feel good about them going forward.

2 hours ago, heldjc said:

Have to think the hit on Orlov is a suspension for sure

Really? I didn't think it was cheap at all. If he didn't fall down and look concussed, no one would've batted an eye at that hit. Orpik was in possession of the puck, the hit was towards his shoulders, he hit him to the side. It wasn't some blindsided hit from behind aimed at the head away from the action.

15 minutes ago, Mike said:

Really? I didn't think it was cheap at all. If he didn't fall down and look concussed, no one would've batted an eye at that hit. Orpik was in possession of the puck, the hit was towards his shoulders, he hit him to the side. It wasn't some blindsided hit from behind aimed at the head away from the action.

You're talking about the hit on Orpik, that one I didn't think was as bad it was just some bad luck. I meant the one late in the game

Then they went and threw bracelets at Orlov on the bench, who was lucky he didn't break his neck.

Mike - the orange shirt giveaway was a memorial shirt for their owner who just died. The "same colors" combined with the bracelets were part of a memorial tribute.

Other arenas do shirt giveaways because companies put their logo on there and pay the team to do it — the team doesn't magically think the uniformity is intimidating.

The Lightning are the first team to move onto Round 2 as they eliminate the Red Wings again. Man, I hope the Panthers win the next two games and move on to finally officially get this cross-state rivalry on. Fans of both teams have been waiting for it for the last twenty years. 

Preds have blown their opportunity to advance. Anaheim about to close it out the next two games. 

Pens moved on today and the surprising Sharks knocked out the Kings yesterday in 5 games.

I'm nervous as fuck for the Panthers tomorrow with their backs against the wall. This series has been damn close and entertaining since it started. If it ends in 6, I'll still be damn proud of the Panthers season and will also easily root for the Islanders next round against the Lightning. 

I'm surprised that the Caps and Blues have not been able to close their series out over the last two games.