Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xeph

Concert Review Thread

16 posts in this topic

See a show recently? Who were the bands? Was it good? Was it the best show you've ever seen? Was it absolutely horrible? Let the world know here!

(I thought this thread would be a good idea)

Went to Eye On Attraction, Through Fire and Adelitas Way last night. Drove 4 and a half hours to see EoA again. Totally blew the other bands away. Waiting on TF right now. They're not awful live. 

saw Coheed, Glassjaw, I the Mighty and Silver Snakes tonight.

Silver Snakes were solid, didn't really bring the house down or anything but they did their thing and the crowd was into it well enough. 

I The Mighty came out and popped everyone in the mouth. Super high energy, opened with "Lady of Death" and it was all smooth sailing from there.

Glassjaw fucking melted my face off. Was super excited to see them and they totally blew me away. Tore through their 9 song set without a mistake and the crowd was super hyped for them. New Bruno Mars haircut Daryl Palumbo had total command and attention, they were just super super awesome.

Coheed were Coheed. Pretty much everyone there's favorite band, everyone knew every word, tons of dancing and jumping and singing. Great setlist too, played all the best songs from the new album and even "The Hard Sell" which they've never played before.

7 hours ago, DarkDragon said:

No hot babes to talk to hehehe.

Well I certainly won't be going to Slipknot/Manson show then. Add Korn to the lineup and it might as well be the hot babe vacuum of the universe. 

Rebirth Review: Saw Underoath at the Brooklyn Bowl in Las Vegas Saturday night. Played the two albums They're Only Chasing Safety and Define the Great Line in its entirety. Only downside was one of their guitar players was sick for most of the show, but barely played through the whole thing. Otherwise, a solid performance. The opening band Caspian was great as well. Played five epic post-rock tunes and ended with all five members playing drums together.

Iggy Pop w/ Noveller @ Paramount Theater:

I guess it must first be said that the Paramount is a beautiful venue. An odd fit for this type of show, but it worked out. It's pretty much a theater that would usually be used for plays and stand-up, which means all seated with no standing area, and a balcony. Opening act Noveller seemed like a mismatch, a one-woman-show consisting entirely of ambient guitar looping and no vocals, but she won everybody over by the end of it. Some of her songs were downright hypnotic, and I was happy to purchase her amazing cat-themed t-shirt (which she let me know on Twitter I looked sharp in B))

I went into the show knowing only Post Pop Depression and the Stooges' Raw Power, but PPD is so good that I was still wildly anticipating each of the eight songs played off of it ("Vulture" was the only omission), But, surprise, surprise, the entire show was spectacular, from the opening notes of "Lust for Life" onward. Lots of great, great songs I was hearing for the first time. There wasn't much movement, obviously, but the music was so good that it didn't feel necessary. It has to be said: despite undoubtedly being the star of the show, Iggy has assembled a real all-star band headed up by Joshua Homme and the result is that something extra, the songs becoming more engaging purely from a sound perspective than their studio-recorded counterparts. The QOTSA and Arctic Monkeys members turned in a powerhouse performance that ensured that when Iggy wandered off stage near the end of "China Girl", the focus seamlessly fell on the dual guitar solos without anybody wondering "Where's Iggy?". And of course, the new songs, being the ones the band recorded together, were all highlights.

Underoath w/ Caspian @ Showbox SoDo

So, my roommate invited me to this show, as her friend couldn't make it and she was left with an extra ticket. I didn't know any music from either band and upon looking up a song, it wasn't really my thing. But, I went anyway. And no regrets. Caspian impressively made it to the show all the way from Narnia, and delivered a very very good opening set that never devolved into generic metal and continued to be interesting, including rather impressive production for such an obscure band. Seemingly mismatched instrumental acts opening up shows for prolific headliners was a theme this week, and I have to say, I like it. Interesting and different enough to engage the audience and expose them to something they otherwise may not have listened to, while not being too engaging and wearing the audience out before the main event. Because they were going to need all the energy they had.

When Underoath took the stage, things went from zero to a hundred very quickly. I was immediately smushed by everybody around me, and was taken so off guard by this that I pretty much completely ignored the music while wondering what the hell I had gotten myself into. My hair ties got caught in a crowd-surfing fan's shoe, and my hair was down and the experience was on. As the first songs progressed, I found my composure and got into the necessary mindset to enjoy this type of concert experience. I'll say two things about this show in comparison to others: first, while I'm hesitant to say it was quite as intense as a Dillinger Escape Plan show, because the band themselves didn't really do anything out of the ordinary, performing the songs on stage, but the crowd was nuts. The second thing is that while I knew not a damn bit of this band's music, it was entirely apparent that they attract a very loving and passionate fanbase, as I could feel from the energy around me the same catharsis and joy I felt jumping up and down singing along with Trent Reznor until I couldn't speak the next day some three and a half years ago. These people weren't here for a concert, they were here to see their favorite band and didn't give a damn about anything else in the world while they were in this building. Thankfully, this is a contagious sensation, because before long I was nearly as into the show as they were.

Now, it was grueling. I got hit in the head by many an errant foot or ass (some belonging to girls!) being thrown to the front of the crowd, and with my height, sometimes the onus to keep them up fell too heavily on me to the point that I hurt my back or even buckled to the ground. The good thing is that when that happens, you're already at a metal show so you can immediately release any aggression you feel by simply doing what people at metal shows do. While rowdy in the traditional sense, the crowd, as a passionate and united fanbase, were very supportive of each other (including me, the outsider among their ranks, unbeknownst to them...), helping up anybody who was in danger of falling, and at one point forming a circle and keeping back the other fans so a guy could find his glasses (he did find the pieces of them, after the show). Many people complimented me on my "badass" Queens of the Stone Age tattoo, ostensibly mistaking it for Underoath's logo, but it was neither the time nor the place to correct them.

As for the music itself, I enjoyed it. I'm not convinced it's for me still, but while I was there, I was able to get very into it, and there were a few brief incredible moments where I closed my eyes for a few seconds and took it all in with the rest of my senses. It was great.

And a special shout out to the security guys. They get a bad rap, but these guys had one hell of a job, tracking crowd-surfers as they progressed to the front, pointing to inform the people in the front to prepare for them, and keeping them from breaking their necks when they got to the front. And in a scene right out of Mad Max: Fury Road, they provided us with bottles of water, that the dehydrated animals all reached for, tried to quench themselves without being greedy, and either passing it around or spraying it in the air for everybody to catch with their mouths. Nobody was worried about getting wet, as they were already soaked to the point of pruned fingers with the sweat of strangers. I probably have Hepatitis now.

And @DarkDragon, for what it's worth, I was originally going to go to that show you keep badgering me and Andrew about, but it fell on the same night and I couldn't make it to both. For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure I had a better time at this one than I would've there, and there was no shortage of the hot chicks you love to speculate about.