NinjaNick101

Super Bowl 50

Super Bowl 50   10 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you got?

• Broncos
    • Panthers

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

119 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Andrew said:

Well then given he's rarely been terribly good in the clutch, against a guy who's been to six Super Bowls and won four, why is Manning better?  Cause he can put up some stats in the regular season?  Gimme the guy who can win the playoff games, please.

Well Manning did win the Super Bowl MVP so it's not like he's awful in the playoffs. INTs are about the same, Brady has a good few more TDs, Manning has a slightly better passer rating, Brady has way more game winning drives. Besides very recently, I never thought Manning dragged his team down in the playoffs.

Oh and that Iron Man can is amazing.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

Well Manning did win the Super Bowl MVP so it's not like he's awful in the playoffs. INTs are about the same, Brady has a good few more TDs, Manning has a slightly better passer rating, Brady has way more game winning drives. Besides very recently, I never thought Manning dragged his team down in the playoffs.

Wait you're being serious about thing Manning > Brady thing? Oh wow.

"Super Bowl MVP" my ass. Look at his numbers. He had two RBs with huge games and he didn't do diddly poo. I remember people complaining about how full of shit the voting process was after that game.

There's two Super Bowl runs you can argue he carried his team to the Super Bowl on, and he lost both of those Super Bowls. Other than that it's been Peyton Dilfer or One-and-Done Manning.

Yesterday changed nothing about his legacy. He was and still is one of the all time greats. But a Super Bowl where he was a corpse handing the ball off is not gonna move him up any lists. 

Despite the annoying team photo dance on the sidelines at the end of the regular season, I never really had a problem with Cam Newton...until that press conference last night. Wow what a baby. If that was his demeanor all the time, it'd be more forgiving, but he looked like a damn fool yesterday. When he wins he's the cheeriest guy in the world but when he finally faces defeat he's got his sad man hood on his head, he's rolling his eyes at questions and then he leaves to go hide instead of being a true professional and answering all of the tough questions like a Peyton Manning always did when he lost a bunch of times in the playoffs. People like Herm Edwards were already making excuses for him saying he's "only" 26 but Andrew Luck was more poised the moment he walked into the NFL than Newton is now. It wasn't all the Panthers doing it. Kuechly and Olsen were total professionals in the little bit of their pressers that I saw and Ron Rivera has been the epitome of professionalism since the loss and is the true leader for his team because his QB sure as hell isn't.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Despite the annoying team photo dance on the sidelines at the end of the regular season, I never really had a problem with Cam Newton...until that press conference last night. Wow what a baby. If that was his demeanor all the time, it'd be more forgiving, but he looked like a damn fool yesterday. When he wins he's the cheeriest guy in the world but when he finally faces defeat he's got his sad man hood on his head, he's rolling his eyes at questions and then he leaves to go hide instead of being a true professional and answering all of the tough questions like a Peyton Manning always did when he lost a bunch of times in the playoffs. People like Herm Edwards were already making excuses for him saying he's "only" 26 but Andrew Luck was more poised the moment he walked into the NFL than Newton is now. It wasn't all the Panthers doing it. Kuechly and Olsen were total professionals in the little bit of their pressers that I saw and Ron Rivera has been the epitome of professionalism since the loss and is the true leader for his team because his QB sure as hell isn't.

He's a sore loser. He always has been. People just forgot because he hasn't lost in long long time. Because he's really really good. It's a flaw, but it's one that's fixable. Shit I rather have a sore loser than a dude who doesn't give a shit. If you seriously think he isn't a leader, you're nuts. The entire team has fed off his personality. 

4 minutes ago, Omar said:

If you seriously think he isn't a leader, you're nuts. The entire team has fed off his personality. 

A real leader is trying to motivate guys on the sidelines, not looking like they've given up in the second quarter. A real leader doesn't run away from the tough questions in his press conference and force his teammates to answer all of them.

Just now, Mike said:

A real leader is trying to motivate guys on the sidelines, not looking like they've given up in the second quarter. A real leader doesn't run away from the tough questions in his press conference and force his teammates to answer all of them.

But I am not gonna limit leadership to just that. There's a lot more to leadership. Like I said it's a flaw he has, so I'm not gonna defend him, but I don't think we can call him a bad leader just because of something he does occasionally. Shit I've seen many games where Brady mopes the entire game looking sad and God knows how little he says in pressers after loses.

He lost the biggest game of his life in highly frustrating fashion. I don't blame him for being sore, though he should have handled the press conference better. Questioning his leadership is silly though.

30 minutes ago, Omar said:

I've seen many games where Brady mopes the entire game looking sad and God knows how little he says in pressers after loses.

Yeah but you always see Brady alive when he's on the field. He never mopes on the field, like Cam was doing. He was basically giving up the second they were trailing in the game. If you want to forgive Newton for not being a leader off the field, fine. But you can't forgive him for not being a leader on the field. Anyone can look good and look like a leader when things are going well. It's how someone reacts in the face of adversity that is the real test of their character.

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

Yeah but you always see Brady alive when he's on the field. He never mopes on the field, like Cam was doing. He was basically giving up the second they were trailing in the game. If you want to forgive Newton for not being a leader off the field, fine. But you can't forgive him for not being a leader on the field. Anyone can look good and look like a leader when things are going well. It's how someone reacts in the face of adversity that is the real test of their character.

Ive seen a lot bad body language games. Sometimes the bad body language even starts in the 1st quarter. Bill Simmons always points it out: https://mobile.twitter.com/billsimmons/status/668982868035682304

I remember there was even a meme about how Brady would sit on the ground looking sad. Manning even has some bad body language moments. That's where the whole "Manning Face" thing comes from.

My point is these dudes are human. I don't think we can expect a person that is failing at their height of their profession to be all smiles. 

Cam probably does it too obvious and needs to learn to be more professional but I'm not gonna pounce on him for it. It's something he's always done. 

There was no excuse for his behavior. Love the media when you're winning, hate them when you're losing? First QB I've ever seen act that way after a Super Bowl loss. It wouldn't have been an issue if he wasn't trash talking throughout the year. Hope he's humbled now.

9 minutes ago, Matt said:

There was no excuse for his behavior. Love the media when you're winning, hate them when you're losing? First QB I've ever seen act that way after a Super Bowl loss. It wouldn't have been an issue if he wasn't trash talking throughout the year. Hope he's humbled now.

Oh come on dude, he didn't kick a puppy, he blew off a press conference.  I think you're being a little hard on him.

Just now, Andrew said:

Oh come on dude, he didn't kick a puppy, he blew off a press conference.  I think you're being a little hard on him.

Blowing off the press is one thing if that's your normal demeanor, like Lynch or Marion Barber used to do. My problem comes with him feeding off the media and loving them around all year, until he lost. Again, he trash talked the entire year alongside Norman. Which is fine, there will be cocky players, but to pout like some self-entitled kid on Christmas morning? I'm not understanding the excuses.

Is it fixable? Sure. But the fact he's had attitude problems known since college and it's still around tells me he's not doing much to change.

Just now, Matt said:

Blowing off the press is one thing if that's your normal demeanor, like Lynch or Marion Barber used to do. My problem comes with him feeding off the media and loving them around all year, until he lost. Again, he trash talked the entire year alongside Norman. Which is fine, there will be cocky players, but to pout like some self-entitled kid on Christmas morning? I'm not understanding the excuses.

Is it fixable? Sure. But the fact he's had attitude problems known since college and it's still around tells me he's not doing much to change.

I just don't understand the fixation.  Sure he's cocky, but cocky is fun.  Sure he's a sore loser, but he's not hurting anyone.  Why do we care this much about a stupid press conference?  Cam is just a person like everyone else with flaws like everyone else.  Who gives a shit if he's not some upstanding role model?  Long as he's not beating the shit out of his kids or punching out his wife in an elevator, I don't really understand what the fuss is about.

That this press conference has been the defining news story of the day after the Super Bowl is just the epitome of what's wrong with sports culture.  Everyone spends too much time putting the players personalities under the microscopes and judging them like we're all so holier than thou.  I'd rather debate Manning/Brady into oblivion instead of waste another second on "Oh boo hoo, he walked out of a press conference, oh no he didn't shake someone's hand, oh no bad sportsmanship!"

21 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I just don't understand the fixation.  Sure he's cocky, but cocky is fun.  Sure he's a sore loser, but he's not hurting anyone.  Why do we care this much about a stupid press conference?  Cam is just a person like everyone else with flaws like everyone else.  Who gives a shit if he's not some upstanding role model?  Long as he's not beating the shit out of his kids or punching out his wife in an elevator, I don't really understand what the fuss is about.

That this press conference has been the defining news story of the day after the Super Bowl is just the epitome of what's wrong with sports culture.  Everyone spends too much time putting the players personalities under the microscopes and judging them like we're all so holier than thou.  I'd rather debate Manning/Brady into oblivion instead of waste another second on "Oh boo hoo, he walked out of a press conference, oh no he didn't shake someone's hand, oh no bad sportsmanship!"

I'm not asking for the guy to get booted from the league, he had a fantastic year. I'm simply criticizing his behavior last night, behavior he himself criticized in the past. So, it's obviously something he wants to work on as well. Here's an article from 2013.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/11/4/5064496/cam-newton-interview-disgusting-attitude

"It was very disgusting," Newton said. "That's as blunt as I can be. I could say other words as well. We went back on YouTube and looked at Cam Newton's post game interviews. I was like "oh my God," I see what people see. I see how people are viewing me. When they see this selfish player, or see this childish temper tantrum that I was throwing, I'm like "that's why people look at me like that"

When there are people criticizing how he starts to go with the flow on the field when time gets tough because he'd rather sulk, he showed it in the Falcons game, Seahawks game when they started crawling back, and yesterday his bad press conference is going to grab even more attention. If someone can't keep it together for a few minutes with the media, I do wonder how he will keep it together under the bright lights.

Whether he likes it or not, he's the QB and what many are saying is the future face of the NFL. Scrutiny will be coming his way if he doesn't grow up.

Goodell can fine him for all I care. At least Cam didn't lash out a string of expletives or criticize refs during Sunday night's press conference. I'm okay with him bolting out like that, but he could handle it a little better. He had the worst game of the whole season and postseason. Big fat deal. He's a human being just like everyone in the NFL.

On 2/8/2016 at 0:15 PM, Omar said:

Yesterday changed nothing about his legacy. He was and still is one of the all time greats. But a Super Bowl where he was a corpse handing the ball off is not gonna move him up any lists. 

I agree with you that it shouldn't move him up any lists...in fact the last year shouldn't really change his legacy at all in any way unless something comes of this HGH accusation against him. 

That said, I think for the people who already had him as a top 5 QB all-time, it won't change anything, but for the people who are strictly ring counters or playoff record keepers, the fact that he's now won 2 Super Bowls with 2 different franchises and now has an above .500 W-L record in the playoffs will quiet some of the naysayers who would have ranked him below that. 

I also think this second ring serves karmic justice as far as years which he was the best QB on the planet and couldn't win a ring; and that's balanced out by the Bob Sanders defense of '06 and the Wade Phillips coached Von Miller defense of '15 that each gave him the rings he deserved in other years. And I would argue that '06, his performance in the AFC Championship game against the Pats, which was the real Super Bowl that year as far as the two best teams battling, was his postseason contribution to earning that ring for the Colts.